To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Soaking chicken in brine

A tasty forum for discussion on Food & Drinks topics
Surprised
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: TFFOSM MotW in 2008 and MotM in 2003. 78th overall in TFFO for 2002/3 and 2003/4

Soaking chicken in brine

Post by Surprised »

I saw something on TV where they mentioned soaking chicken in brine overnight before roasting makes it a juicer, more tender and tastier chicken.
Doe anyone do this and say whether or not the meat is noticeably better? It seems a long process to go through if not.

sted
Dumbledore
Location: Outside, fighting 3 big fellas and drinking beer at the same time.

Re: Soaking chicken in brine

Post by sted »

I often soak it in milk...that works.

Never tried brine

ctibbits
Dumbledore
FS Record: Won "The Bet" 2014/15

Post by ctibbits »

I brine things all the time and yes it works. However depending on the amount of salt you make your brine with 24 hours could be too long for chicken. I typically will get it in there when I leave for work in order to cook that evening.

Brisket is a completely different time frame if you are ever going that route.

Surprised
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: TFFOSM MotW in 2008 and MotM in 2003. 78th overall in TFFO for 2002/3 and 2003/4

Post by Surprised »

I was thinking 24 hours was a lot and 8-12 is better. I might chuck in garlic and herbs so would need to boil the brine before letting it then cool down. I heard some people add a bit of sugar to slightly counteract the salt but others have said very little salt gets into the chicken.

@Sted: I might use buttermilk but would need a fair bit to cover a chicken

ctibbits
Dumbledore

Post by ctibbits »

Yes typically a little sugar is added and I ALWAYS put garlic in mine because I love garlic. I have also found you can get a good amount of spice throughout the meat with a proper pepper.

If you are brining brisket or pork shoulder it is also good to add some acidity to it like lemon/lime juice or apple cider vinegar as it helps break down the connective tissue and fat.

Surprised
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Surprised »

ctibbits wrote:Yes typically a little sugar is added and I ALWAYS put garlic in mine because I love garlic. I have also found you can get a good amount of spice throughout the meat with a proper pepper.

If you are brining brisket or pork shoulder it is also good to add some acidity to it like lemon/lime juice or apple cider vinegar as it helps break down the connective tissue and fat.

I love garlic so will put a few cloves in

A chilli pepper or peppercorns?

WilBert
Dumbledore

Post by WilBert »

Friend of mine swears by cooking beef in coke - never got it to work to my liking though.

ctibbits
Dumbledore

Post by ctibbits »

Surprised wrote:
ctibbits wrote:Yes typically a little sugar is added and I ALWAYS put garlic in mine because I love garlic. I have also found you can get a good amount of spice throughout the meat with a proper pepper.

I love garlic so will put a few cloves in

A chilli pepper or peppercorns?
Chili pepper such as jalapeno, Serrano etc. Whatever level of heat you want. I suppose you could probably add some hot sauce instead but then you would be adding flavor rather than just heat.

jpk
Dumbledore

Post by jpk »

Seems a bit cruel to me.

ctibbits
Dumbledore

Post by ctibbits »

WilBert wrote:Friend of mine swears by cooking beef in coke - never got it to work to my liking though.
I saw an Iron Chef once where the Chinese Chef boiled an entire piglet in coke before smoking it. In theory it seems nice but I cant imagine it being good for beef.

Surprised
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Surprised »

ctibbits wrote:
WilBert wrote:Friend of mine swears by cooking beef in coke - never got it to work to my liking though.
I saw an Iron Chef once where the Chinese Chef boiled an entire piglet in coke before smoking it. In theory it seems nice but I cant imagine it being good for beef.

I have a friend who cooks chicken wings in coke. The sugar caramelises and they are quite nice.

I might do the chicken in brine thing at the weekend with a hot chilli or 2 or 3

Surprised
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Surprised »

jpk wrote:Seems a bit cruel to me.

Pluck them first so their feathers don't get wet and tie string around the beak to keep them quiet

sted
Dumbledore

Post by sted »

Surprised wrote:
@Sted: I might use buttermilk but would need a fair bit to cover a chicken
I couldn't imagine it with semi-skinned. Might as well use water.

I do bang some mustard and chili in there mind.

Gonna try the brine at the weekend.

Done the coke thing with a ham...works well

WilBert
Dumbledore

Post by WilBert »

Forgive my ignorance (but you must have by now) by Brine do you just mean a heavily salted pot of water?

sted
Dumbledore

Post by sted »

WilBert wrote:Forgive my ignorance (but you must have by now) by Brine do you just mean a heavily salted pot of water?
Unless you live near the sea buddy

ctibbits
Dumbledore

Post by ctibbits »

WilBert wrote:Forgive my ignorance (but you must have by now) by Brine do you just mean a heavily salted pot of water?
Pretty much. Salt is main component but "tweaking" it can lead to some nice flavors.

sted
Dumbledore

Post by sted »

I've cooked lobster and crab in sea water.

yeuch

Too much salt I think (plus probably undesired spices)

WilBert
Dumbledore

Post by WilBert »

A saline point. Thanks.

Surprised
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Surprised »

ctibbits wrote:
Pretty much. Salt is main component but "tweaking" it can lead to some nice flavors.

Theory behind it all is that the meat absorbs water so is more moist when you start cooking than it otherwise would have been. Therefore it us not as dry after cooking.

The dissolved salt causes some of the proteins in muscle fibers to unwind and swell. As they unwind, the bonds that had held the protein unit together as a bundle break. Water from the brine binds directly to these proteins, but even more important, water gets trapped between these proteins when the meat cooks and the proteins bind together. Some of this would happen anyway just during cooking, but the brine unwinds more proteins and exposes more bonding sites. As long as you don't overcook the meat, which would cause protein bonds to tighten and squeeze out a lot of the trapped liquid, these natural juices will be retained.

Jonathan
FISO Jedi Knight
Location: ^ That's my dad! ^ KGC Captain's Drive-in 2015 Champ
FS Record: OFL Champions League Sprint finalist 10/11

Post by Jonathan »

Soaking chicken? In brine? The dirty bas........

WilBert
Dumbledore

Post by WilBert »

Surprised wrote:
ctibbits wrote:

Theory behind it all is that the meat absorbs water so is more moist when you start cooking than it otherwise would have been. Therefore it us not as dry after cooking.

The dissolved salt causes some of the proteins in muscle fibers to unwind and swell. As they unwind, the bonds that had held the protein unit together as a bundle break. Water from the brine binds directly to these proteins, but even more important, water gets trapped between these proteins when the meat cooks and the proteins bind together. Some of this would happen anyway just during cooking, but the brine unwinds more proteins and exposes more bonding sites. As long as you don't overcook the meat, which would cause protein bonds to tighten and squeeze out a lot of the trapped liquid, these natural juices will be retained.
Our meat is injected by so much water to plump it out so replace it with nicer tasting water?

Surprised
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Surprised »

I guess so.

unc.si.
FISO Knight
FS Record: 'Loser' by Beck

Post by unc.si. »

WilBert wrote: Our meat is injected by so much water to plump it out so replace it with nicer tasting water?
They use salty water as well to plump it out, so the brine idea must be a good one.
Frozen meat's got even more water in it. Stopped buying frozen meat when I did some work for a poultry farm years ago. The shelf life for frozen turkeys was something like 5 years. Perfectly safe to eat, but did put me off a bit.

Chicken's cheap because it's from fast grown chicks and it's enhanced with brine

I've got a good chicken supplier - proper high welfare free range farm (ie not just a farm that gets allowed to sell chickens as free range just because they leave a door open). It does taste better (and not as likely to have Campylobacter).

Cheap meat is generally shit meat. People want cheap meat though. Better to buy better meat but less of it.

Surprised
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Surprised »

Chicken is now roasting away after spending 8-9 hours in a brine, garlic and herb mixture.
Within 1.5 hours I will know if it is better than not soaking in brine

DrBunker
FISO Knight
FS Record: FISODAS season 21 Premiership champion

Post by DrBunker »

Surprised wrote:Within 1.5 hours I will know if it is better than not soaking in brine

Surprised
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Surprised »

Best roast chicken I have ever tasted!

jpk
Dumbledore

Post by jpk »

The brine will be nice and chickeny as well and could be frozen and made into Heston blumenthal type lolly starters

ctibbits
Dumbledore

Post by ctibbits »

Surprised wrote:Best roast chicken I have ever tasted!
Fantastic news! Did you put any peppers in there?

Surprised
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Surprised »

ctibbits wrote:
Surprised wrote:Best roast chicken I have ever tasted!
Fantastic news! Did you put any peppers in there?

Didn't have any fresh and I'm not sure dried chillies would work.

Chicken was juicy and so much more flavoursome than usual and the juices left in the dish after cooking have amazing flavour. Why i haven't done this before I don't know.

Next time I will make the brine the night before so it's cool by morning as it took 3 hours to cool down this morning.

Surprised
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Surprised »

jpk wrote:The brine will be nice and chickeny as well and could be frozen and made into Heston blumenthal type lolly starters

Would be very salty too!

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Food & Drink”