To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

We're all going on a summer holiday

A forum for discussion on Travel, Holiday & Leisure subjects.
unc.si.
FISO Knight
FS Record: 'Loser' by Beck

We're all going on a summer holiday

Post by unc.si. »

Anyone going anywhere nice?

Couple of weeks in Andalucia for me. Maybe a week in Cornwall as well.

Ralfbergs
FISO Knight
FS Record: Murfs Premiership Predictions Knockout Cup 13/14 Winner

Re: We're all going on a summer holiday

Post by Ralfbergs »

I visited Valencia last week on a business trip. Quite a nice city. Visiting Tallinn for Iron Maiden concert this weekend. Besides that no travel plans this summer really, but my next country I want to visit on a holiday is either Macedonia or Vietnam (depending on the budget)

Spinynorman
FISO Jedi Fish
FS Record: Under Ordinary

Post by Spinynorman »

Off to a mixture of Prestatyn, Centre Parcs and various festivals. :)

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

Off to Kiev this week for a long weekend :D

llama
Grumpy Old Man

Post by llama »

Got back last night from a stag weekend in Amsterdam - I'm broken.

However, I'm flying out to Malta on Friday with the family for a much more chilled week in the sun :D

bspittles
Dumbledore

Post by bspittles »

Might manage a day in Blackpool :-) The joys of having a child with PDA!

unc.si.
FISO Knight

Post by unc.si. »

Ralfbergs wrote: 21 May 2018, 11:18 I visited Valencia last week on a business trip. Quite a nice city. Visiting Tallinn for Iron Maiden concert this weekend. Besides that no travel plans this summer really, but my next country I want to visit on a holiday is either Macedonia or Vietnam (depending on the budget)
Didn't know they were still touring. Saw them on the Powerslave tour (Bizarrely, John Conteh, ex WBO light heavyweight champ) ran on stage at one point. Bouncers didn't quite know what to do). Suspect Bruce Dickinson doesn't run around stage quite as much as he used to then! Talinn's a nice place as well.

unc.si.
FISO Knight

Post by unc.si. »

Zimmerman wrote: 21 May 2018, 11:47 Off to Kiev this week for a long weekend :D
Picked a bad weekend for it. There's some football match on so it'll be packed with celebrating Spaniards.

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

Ouch!!!

That will definitely spoil my weekend if true.

unc.si.
FISO Knight

Post by unc.si. »

Zimmerman wrote: 21 May 2018, 13:07 Ouch!!!

That will definitely spoil my weekend if true.
Hopefully just Moreno's family and friends.

Did you get tickets for the match?

Maldini
Dumbledore

Post by Maldini »

Go for a week on the east coast on Saturday (cottage in Flamborough), couple of music festivals (Bingley & Tribfest) and a week in North Berwick in early autumn.

Just had new kitchen fitted so we’ve had to sacrifice our usual fortnight in Cornwall. :(

Surprised
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: TFFOSM MotW in 2008 and MotM in 2003. 78th overall in TFFO for 2002/3 and 2003/4

Post by Surprised »

llama wrote: 21 May 2018, 12:03 Got back last night from a stag weekend in Amsterdam - I'm broken.

However, I'm flying out to Malta on Friday with the family for a much more chilled week in the sun :D
Govt of Amsterdam is going to crack down on stag dos as those of us living in the centre of town don't like them. They are already issuing huge fines for those renting out their homes using Airbnb.

unc.si.
FISO Knight

Post by unc.si. »

Surprised wrote: 21 May 2018, 19:05
llama wrote: 21 May 2018, 12:03 Got back last night from a stag weekend in Amsterdam - I'm broken.

Govt of Amsterdam is going to crack down on stag dos as those of us living in the centre of town don't like them. They are already issuing huge fines for those renting out their homes using Airbnb.
Well thats exactly why we need to get on with Brexit. Bloody foreigners spoiling our fun.

murf
FISO Viscount
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.

Post by murf »

Can't afford one now I'm not working but feel like I'm on a permanent one so don't need one anyway! Don't think I've been abroad since about 2010????

Off up on the sunny Lakeland fells again in the morning.

Surprised
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: TFFOSM MotW in 2008 and MotM in 2003. 78th overall in TFFO for 2002/3 and 2003/4

Post by Surprised »

unc.si. wrote: 21 May 2018, 20:16

Well thats exactly why we need to get on with Brexit. Bloody foreigners spoiling our fun.
I'm going to campaign for a wall

Edmondson
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Dreamteam Mini Leagues also ran :(

Post by Edmondson »

Center Parcs Woburn - at start of June just for 3 nights, making most of a Monday inset day they tagged onto half term. Was about half the price of the 4 day break immediately before. 8-) Any CP experts with any tips are most welcome? Get the sense it’s one of those where you need to be ITK.

Puerto Soller, Majorca - Looks a lovely little bay, we are visiting in August for 8 nights, small hotel on the beach with what looks like great views. Quite mountainous around there so popular with walkers & cyclists I believe. Has an old tram that takes you into the town.

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

Yes Blcakpool pretends they have the same morals too.
Don’t look a gift horse in the mouth and all that.

unc.si.
FISO Knight

Post by unc.si. »

Zimmerman wrote: 22 May 2018, 06:33

Not sure you can compare one of Europes great cultural centres and a tacky tourist destination.

I mean, Amsterdam doesn't even have a proper tower.

TheBigLewandowski
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: OR 1,259 2016/17

Post by TheBigLewandowski »

Hoping to get over to London for a few days next month. Want to do some sight seeing. Thinking The Shard, St Paul's Cathedral, Buckingham Palace and Big Ben/Houses of Parliament. Hopefully can see most of the key things in a few days! Imagine it will be expensive!

Then just locally around the North Coast and Donegal. Have a good summer everyone!

Tacalabala
FISO Knight

Post by Tacalabala »

Quad biking, Kew Gardens, Tate Modern, have an exam in July which is a bit scary. Trying to lose a stone before mid June would be nice. There's something called a World Cup on, I don't think many people will be interested though....

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

Tacalabala wrote: 22 May 2018, 20:58 Quad biking, Kew Gardens, Tate Modern, have an exam in July which is a bit scary. Trying to lose a stone before mid June would be nice. There's something called a World Cup on, I don't think many people will be interested though....
Quad biking round Kew Gardens and the Tate Modern sounds fun!

(One of the nicest places I have visited in London and one of the worst - not sure what could be worse than the Tate Modern. Iron Maiden at Centre Parks (mis-spelt) maybe. Actually I quite like Iron Maiden, just wouldn't want the centre parks kiddies screaming and crying in my ears.)

Some good shouts on this thread too - Malta, Cornwall, Valencia (only been for stag weeknd inc football) all good. Amsterdam and Blackpool have their moments. Not sure about North Berwick - only been there to do some work for a certain big supermarket chain. Nice part of the world though.

Spinynorman
FISO Jedi Fish
FS Record: Under Ordinary

Post by Spinynorman »

My first festival of the year clashes with both the European Cup final and the Championship decider at Wembley. Bit of bad planning there. :roll:

As for London there is lots to see and do that costs very little. Some great pubs as well and not as expensive as you might think. :)

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

unc.si. wrote: 22 May 2018, 07:41
Zimmerman wrote: 22 May 2018, 06:33

Not sure you can compare one of Europes great cultural centres and a tacky tourist destination.

I mean, Amsterdam doesn't even have a proper tower.
Indeedy.

I went to 'Dam and thought it was like Blackpool, and was quite shocked tbh.

But the point of the visit was to see a load of her stuff in the Hague\Haag, and bod in shop spent ages showing me more stuff...

Fortunately I survived the bicycles in both places :shock:

Ralfbergs
FISO Knight
FS Record: Murfs Premiership Predictions Knockout Cup 13/14 Winner

Post by Ralfbergs »

Spinynorman wrote: 22 May 2018, 21:16 My first festival of the year clashes with both the European Cup final and the Championship decider at Wembley. Bit of bad planning there. :roll:
Same here, Iron Maiden concert in Tallinn is this Saturday so definitely won't see Championship decider, might see the end of Champions League final (but most likely only if it goes into extra time). Now I just have to remember not to plan anything for 15th July :D

unc.si.
FISO Knight

Post by unc.si. »

Edmondson wrote: 21 May 2018, 22:23 Center Parcs Woburn - at start of June just for 3 nights, making most of a Monday inset day they tagged onto half term. Was about half the price of the 4 day break immediately before. 8-) Any CP experts with any tips are most welcome? Get the sense it’s one of those where you need to be ITK.

Puerto Soller, Majorca - Looks a lovely little bay, we are visiting in August for 8 nights, small hotel on the beach with what looks like great views. Quite mountainous around there so popular with walkers & cyclists I believe. Has an old tram that takes you into the town.
Used to go to CP every January / early February with the kids and a couple of other families. All water babies really though so just spent time in the pool. Gets busy though so need to be there early to get a good spot. We did used to book some badminton courts as well, but its much easier to just do things on the spur of the moment in the depths of winter. It snowed hard one time, which was fantastic in the outdoor (heated) rapids. I used to take my Mountain Bike and do a few laps of Sherwood Pines each morning as well (which is right next door to Sherwood Forest CP). Cycling round CP itself is a bit uninspiring, although its a good way to get around unless you get a chalet near the pool complex.

Take food and beer with you (the on site supermarket is expensive - I actually drove half way back to Nottingham one evening to pick more beer up from Tesco!)

Knulpuk
Dumbledore
FS Record: Ultra ultra consistent (see above)

Post by Knulpuk »

3 and a bit week road trip through France - Loire then down Biarritz / Basque country and the Pyrenees. Down to San Sebastian and Pamplona. Then through Spain to East Portugal, then a week north of Porto. Drive back via the north Spain Coast and Bordeaux and back again. Few miles - should be fun. :D

Off to China for a week or two next month but that's more work related should see a few bits n bobs along the way.

Bit of Golfing in Devon, a few days in Cornwall, Holland for a week or so late summer. Holland is a very underated destination for a holiday we were in Zeeland and Efteling over Easter (again) - great place for a holiday.

I recommend Efteling to anyone with kids / is a big kid - kicks Disneyland into a cocked hat on every front.

I would like to go up to the Islands in Holland too.

Amsterdam is a bit of a theme park - it has nice areas but there are so many nicer places in Holland! Middleburg / Maastricht / Rotterdam / Breda / Veere / Utrecht / Dordrecht have all the "charm" none of the crapness.

unc.si.
FISO Knight

Post by unc.si. »

Knulpuk wrote: 23 May 2018, 15:19 3 and a bit week road trip through France - Loire then down Biarritz / Basque country and the Pyrenees. Down to San Sebastian and Pamplona. Then through Spain to East Portugal, then a week north of Porto. Drive back via the north Spain Coast and Bordeaux and back again. Few miles - should be fun. :D

Off to China for a week or two next month but that's more work related should see a few bits n bobs along the way.

Bit of Golfing in Devon, a few days in Cornwall, Holland for a week or so late summer. Holland is a very underated destination for a holiday we were in Zeeland and Efteling over Easter (again) - great place for a holiday.

I recommend Efteling to anyone with kids / is a big kid - kicks Disneyland into a cocked hat on every front.

I would like to go up to the Islands in Holland too.

Amsterdam is a bit of a theme park - it has nice areas but there are so many nicer places in Holland! Middleburg / Maastricht / Rotterdam / Breda / Veere / Utrecht / Dordrecht have all the "charm" none of the crapness.
Now thats a proper holiday :D

we'll be driving around Spain as well, but the kids are a bit put off by my epic long distance road trip stories of the past so we're just keeping it pretty local. Sevilla, Jerez, Granada, Cordoba, Ronda, maybe nip across to Tangier for the day to show the kids what a North African Souk is like.

Pais Vasco is beautiful, as is the Galician coastline (and Santiago de Compostela isn't bad either). Sounds awesome.

Agree about the Netherlands. Cycled up the coast from Hoek van Holland to Haarlem, Amsterdam and then to Utrecht, Delft, Gouda and back to the ferry last year. The dunes and beaches south of Haarlem are beautiful and Utrecht is a great city. I do like Amsterdam as well though. If I've got a long layover at Schiphol I sometimes get the fast train to Centraal so I can sit by a canal and have a coffee rather than sit in the airport lounge.

Zeeland is great as well (planning a cycling trip from Zeebrugge - Brugge - Gent - Vliisingen - Middelburg - Veere - Rotterdam next year, which will be great as long as its not too windy on the storm barriers!). Have been to Veere with work. Great seafood when the Oosterschelde lobster is in season (this time of year). Food in the Netherlands is generally pretty crap though (although I do have a soft spot for brown shrimp croquettes).

Co-incidentally I'm off to China next month for about 10 days with work as well. Might see a few sights but never really end up getting much time to look around when I'm travelling with work. Got to get a Yellow Fever jab tomorrow as I may be flying there direct from Brazil ,which has got a yellow fever outbreak at the moment and I've lost my old certificate.

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

I’d love to do a gastro trip around the Basque Country.
Definitely on my radar for the not too distant future... not sure I fancy driving there, always assumed we’d fly and pick up a hire car.

Anyone any experience of that trip specifically or ferry crossing to Spain? Or is Dover and drive easier than an overnight ferry? My Mrs is a bit delicate with it comes to travel sickness (and daughter is starting to show signs of it too)... so a dodgy/choppy crossing would be tragic.

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

Have driven to south of France a few times. Just split journey into 2 days. Often stayed at Rouen en route. Hope I've remembered that right. Handily placed if giving Paris a wide berth when coming down from Calais. Or go left of Paris if going to Med. Often stayed in cheap hotel near Dover to get headstart for early ferry. Some great and relatively empty roads in France make driving a pleasure if you obey the only rule - AVOID PARIS. Tolls aren't cheap but worth it / necessary for a trip that long.

Took Eurotunnel train once but they had a fire in the tunnel while we were away so had to get a mate to hurriedly book a ferry home for us (days before mobile interweb on phones - for me anyway!). Stick to what you know.

All so much better than flying/airports/luggage restrictions.

unc.si.
FISO Knight

Post by unc.si. »

I guess it depends how much time you've got.

I travel fairly light and have done the road trip through France before, so prefer to fly and hire a car when I arrive (which is what we're doing in Sevilla). If you've got the time to make the journey part of the holiday and especially if you've not done it before then cross the channel (personally I'd get the ferry from Portsmouth to Cherbourg or Caen) and drive.

If the family get travel sick then I'm not sure I'd risk the Bay of Biscay crossing.

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Travel, Holidays & Leisure”