To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Trip to Wembley

A forum for discussion on Travel, Holiday & Leisure subjects.
TheBigLewandowski
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: OR 1,259 2016/17

Trip to Wembley

Post by TheBigLewandowski »

My parents are just back from a 3 day break to London, for a wedding. They flew into Stansted and got the Stansted Express into Liverpool Street Station which took around 50mins on the train. Then they had a short walk to their hotel (Apex Wall) which they thoroughly recommended. Just going by their photographs, St Paul's Cathedral looked stunning. :)

My dad is a big Spurs fan, and because they only had a few days for the wedding they didn't have time to get to a match at Wembley.
However, he was chuffed that he could see the construction of their new stadium from their train journey. :mrgreen:

Without hijacking the thread, does anyone know if there is much accomodation around Wembley?
I'd like to go back with him so that he can take in a Spurs game, but is it easy to get from Stansted/Central London to Wembley for accomodation etc?

Many thanks all, much appreciated. :)

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Re: Planning Spring Trip to London

Post by Zimmerman »

Yes, definitely accommodation. Depending on what you want, you can pick up cheap rooms if you book early enough.

It's not the best location to base yourself if you are combining with a longer stay in London.

TheBigLewandowski
Grumpy Old Man

Zimmerman wrote: 23 Oct 2017, 13:38 Yes, definitely accommodation. Depending on what you want, you can pick up cheap rooms if you book early enough.

It's not the best location to base yourself if you are combining with a longer stay in London.
Thanks, Zimm

A basic/cheap hotel room would do the job for a night or two beside Wembley.
Alternatively, could travel out from central London if it's not too much hassle.

bloggie
Dumbledore
Location: Tourists swarm to see your face Confucius has a puzzling grace Disoriented you enter in unleashing

Post by bloggie »

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

On the plus side, hotels nearer wembley may well be cheaper than those near Covent Garden.
Like any city, location is king (and what you pay for).
Hotel next to Covent Garden is going to cost you more than one near Canary Wharf (at the weekend) or Wembley. No idea what the impact of a match has on price at Wembley.

We had a meeting down there the day England played their last game. Some colleagues got a room for £45 the night before.

If you're not too bothered about walking between some of the more recognisable sights and then back to your hotel, then Wembley might be for you.
I think you can go direct in about 30 mins or so from Leicester Square to Wembley.

TheBigLewandowski
Grumpy Old Man

Re: Trip to Wembley

Had a great time in London. We were there for nearly 5 full days and got very lucky with the weather, great views but possibly too hot at times!
Flew in to Stansted Airport, long queues at security, which I am guessing is normal for London airports, and then got the Stansted Express which we had already booked prior to leaving, into Liverpool Street Station.
We then only had a 10-15 minute walk with our luggage to our hotel in the Moorgate/Bank area. The architecture and height of the buildings were stunning.
We managed to go up The Shard. I personally felt it was worth the hefty fee (£30) as the views from the top were stunning. One of those things you do on holiday as a one off possibly. Spent a couple of hours enjoying the views at the top, and there wasn't a cloud in the sky. Was pointing out all the football stadiums with my father!
We also managed a cruise along the river Thames. The tour guide was excellent and I found it a great experience. Afterwards, we (by chance) stumbled upon Hays Gallery which was a market type area and just enjoyed the experience etc.
The Tower of London was also great but we queued for over an hour in the ridiculous heat to get inside to see the crown jewels etc.
On our last day we did a tour in st Paul's Cathedral. Simply stunning. Inside and out. Really glad we managed to visit it.
Other notable things we did were a walk to The Gherkin and a walk along Southwark, for views of London Bridge.
We did a tour of London by bus which was also really interesting.
There is still so much to see and do, 4 days was a nice duration for our trip, but I definitely would like to return.
There is bound to be so much more to see and do.
My father is a big Spurs fan and it would be great to return to see a match when their stadium is finally built?
Thank you to everyone who had recommended things to me. I really appreciate it. :)
(The only downside to our trip was that our flight home was cancelled, without any explanation from the airline, so we had to stay in the premier inn at Stansted, and fork out nearly £100 for our baggage with a different airline, which we got the following morning).

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Travel, Holidays & Leisure”