To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Planning Spring Trip to London

A forum for discussion on Travel, Holiday & Leisure subjects.
ctibbits
Dumbledore
FS Record: Won "The Bet" 2014/15

Planning Spring Trip to London

Post by ctibbits »

Reaching out to the FISO community for help planning a family trip to London. Originally was going to be just for me but it has expanded now to include my wife and two teenage stepsons. Will be traveling during the Spring Break from school March 10-17 so time is somewhat limited but know we can get in a lot of "must see and do" while there. Have been looking for a couple of weeks for the most economical way to make this happen but it is quickly exceeding what I had budgeted for the trip. I am assuming the best value for lodging will be to locate something on AirBnB with a kitchen so we can save money on restaurants. There are thousands as you could imagine so are there certain areas we should certainly avoid? Does anyone have tips on the cheapest places to locate flights? We will be flying out of Houston or Austin but how we get to London is irrelevant. If we have to fly to Dublin for instance and there is a cheap airline that makes that flight I am good with it. Really just reaching out in the hopes someone has an idea of how to get these flights much less than the $1,000 each I have been finding.

Also once there I assume most travel will be done throughout the city via the subway system, surely the cheapest and most efficient route right?

If there was only one thing I had to see what would it be?

If there was something that is not worth seeing that most people do what is it?

Thanks for your help.

Tacalabala
FISO Knight

Re: Planning Spring Trip to London

Post by Tacalabala »

I can't help you with getting here, but there are plenty here who will I'm sure - skyscanner is probably a good bet, I don't know.

In terms of areas, you're unlikely to find yourself in areas at night that you wouldn't want to be in. Usual rules re pickpockets. The subway is called the Underground or 'Tube', nobody talks to each other on there, not rude it's just politeness ☺ search TFL (Transport for London).

As for what to do when you are here, people live in London for decades and don't see everything!!!

What are your family normally really into? Is there something particularly British that you'd like to experience or find out more about?

London is a multicultural global city so don't just focus on what you might regard as traditional British attractions.

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

Once in the UK (or even Europe) then Easyjet and Ryan Air are two cheap/budget airlines (the former then better of the two).

Tube is definitely best way of getting round.
You can get an Oyster Card which is a pass you top up with funds. I think I'm right in saying that you'll only get charged up to the value of what a daily pass would you.
You can also pay with contactless cards (do you have those in the states)? But not sure if you will get stung on bank fees using yours over here.

As for what to do. Entirely comes down to what you like doing.
Theatre? Gigs? Comedy? Museums?

Loads of the museums and galleries are free in London and worth checking out.

murf
FISO Viscount
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.

Post by murf »

My recommendation for a week in the UK would start by getting the hell out of the horrors of London and seeing some of the hundreds of wonderful other choices instead.

Guess that I'm therefore not the one to answer your question....

SUZYKINS
Dumbledore

Post by SUZYKINS »

We went to see Motown Story which was good.
President Hotel where we stayed was good , Russell Square , no frills be adequate.
Would suggest booking free tickets for the sky garden,amazing views & free, we had a cocktail which was £10 each but for London was worth the money.
Google sky garden bookings.

bloggie
Dumbledore
Location: Tourists swarm to see your face Confucius has a puzzling grace Disoriented you enter in unleashing

Post by bloggie »

unc.si.
FISO Knight
FS Record: 'Loser' by Beck

Post by unc.si. »

For flights have a look at Norwegian. They started doing transatlantic flights this year and they're pretty good for a budget airline. Only fly to New York, Denver and a couple of other places but if you can get a cheap local flight to Denver you might find it a cheap option, and those routings don't always come up on the likes of skyscanner or expedia.

I don't live in London but stay down there probably once a month for a night or two. The tube is a great way to get around (with an oyster card - if you get one just jump on and off without worrying about cost - its capped to about a tenner a day). Personally don't much care for the big 'sights'. The best thing about London is just walking around. Central London is surprisingly compact and you can walk between a lot of places, so do a bit of walking as well as the tube. The tube can be hell at rush hour, but its a brilliant way of getting round. Don't worry about being crammed in, don't dawdle around in the walkways and whatever you do don't stand on the left on the escalators, talk to anyone or make eye contact with strangers unless you want to be a social outcast.

You can get From Marble Arch, via speakers corner, through Hyde Park and Green Park to Buckingham Palace then through St James Park to Westminster almost completely through the Parks. You'd hardly know you were in a big city. St James park in particular is beautiful and has great views of the London Eye, St James Palace and the obligatory photo opportunity for Buckingham Palace from the footbridge.

I usually stay near Smithfield Market. Good bars and restaurants and some great local cafe's for a cuppa with the guys in bloodstained white coats.

I'd try and get to Greenwich - lovely area to spend a day. Camden town is great. Good street food and interesting market. My teenage girls love it there - not sure about teenage boys (what are they into and how old?). Borough Market (mega busy) or Maltby Street market are great for a visit and some food. Leicester Square not really worth much more than a quick walk through but its close to soho, chinatown and covent garden.

Just don't waste half a day queuing for Madame Toussouds, the sherlock holmes museum or the London Dungeon. Waste of time tbh. You have to see St Pauls though (from the outside, not the inside)

Views from the Heron Tower (nice glass lift) are good. The 'garden' (more like an airport terminal tbh) at the top of the Walkie Talkie (20 Fenchurch Street - ugliest building in London - you can't miss it) gives great views.

plenty of people on here that live in London so I'm sure you'll get plenty of ideas.

TheBigLewandowski
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: OR 1,259 2016/17

Trip to Wembley

Post by TheBigLewandowski »

My parents are just back from a 3 day break to London, for a wedding. They flew into Stansted and got the Stansted Express into Liverpool Street Station which took around 50mins on the train. Then they had a short walk to their hotel (Apex Wall) which they thoroughly recommended. Just going by their photographs, St Paul's Cathedral looked stunning. :)

ctibbits
Dumbledore

Post by ctibbits »

Flights booked and just secured an AirBNB 3 minute walk from Aldgate East station (hoping this is a good area). Working out itinerary for the time there now. I am interested in catching a couple of games while there is Stubhub the best/easiest way to get tickets?

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

unc.si. wrote: 22 Oct 2017, 23:08 .
That is quite near to Unc's fave spot so geta few places to eat off him; but I am with murf on this one: the place is a hell hole.

The 2 Tate's are good, and free, if you like a bit of Art and Borough Mkt is a rip off and a half.

The Eye could be good for you, if it has a good Commentary thing, but I've never been on it.

Tacalabala
FISO Knight

Post by Tacalabala »

ctibbits wrote: 31 Dec 2017, 21:04 Flights booked and just secured an AirBNB 3 minute walk from Aldgate East station (hoping this is a good area). Working out itinerary for the time there now. I am interested in catching a couple of games while there is Stubhub the best/easiest way to get tickets?
What GWs will you be here for?

Also, if you are stuck for attractions, have a go at these:

http://arcelormittalorbit.com/whats-on/the-slide/ - lovely view of East London and the Olympic Stadium, and you get to nearly shit yourself down a tube :D :wink:

https://www.postalmuseum.org/ - great morning can't recommend it enough

Beerfuelledman
FISO Knight
FS Record: FISO 17/18 FPL Cash Draft League Winner

Post by Beerfuelledman »

London is expensive of course, but there s much you can do for free with a little planning. The Tube is by far and away the best way to get around. Get off at Westminster and you are at Big Ben, view the Houses of Parliament, Whitehall, walk to the Downing St entrance an up the St is Trafalgar Sq for example. Make sure you take in Covent Garden (I recommend a pint in the "Punch and Judy" whilst watching the St artists) and Piccadilly Circus and a walk up to Hamleys, one of the last vestiges of Childrens Toy shops. With time, a tube to Knightsbridge and dander round Harrods has to be a major consideration and then there is Buckingham Palace of course. A lot will depend on your own research about what you want to see. Madame Tussauds, London Eye etc (Tourist attractions) are over rated. Maybe a London bus will feature on your wishlist.

morganb
FISO Knight
FS Record: Fantasy Advent Calendar 2012 Winner; The FISODAS Cup - Season 22 Winner; Ralfbergs EPL prediction game 2013/14 winner; FISO Goals 2022

Post by morganb »

Tacalabala wrote: 31 Dec 2017, 21:54 https://www.postalmuseum.org/ - great morning can't recommend it enough
That's good to know as I got tickets to go here for Christmas (slightly randomly as I'd never heard of it before)

We've also got free tickets for one of the Sky Gardens.

(I don't class myself as a tourist as I went to Polytechnic in London many years ago, but when you live there you don't do the touristy things and it's a nice day out with the family)

ctibbits
Dumbledore

Post by ctibbits »

Tacalabala wrote: 31 Dec 2017, 21:54
ctibbits wrote: 31 Dec 2017, 21:04 Flights booked and just secured an AirBNB 3 minute walk from Aldgate East station (hoping this is a good area). Working out itinerary for the time there now. I am interested in catching a couple of games while there is Stubhub the best/easiest way to get tickets?
What GWs will you be here for?

Also, if you are stuck for attractions, have a go at these:

http://arcelormittalorbit.com/whats-on/the-slide/ - lovely view of East London and the Olympic Stadium, and you get to nearly shit yourself down a tube :D :wink:

https://www.postalmuseum.org/ - great morning can't recommend it enough
Would have to check the GW but I land March 9th. Chelsea has Palace at home on the 10th but FA cup games on Sunday the 11th so could be postponed. Also CL is that week so if they advance past Barca I could get a chance for that one. Of course seeing a game at Stamford Bridge is my priority but I would love to see others. Just unsure how to get tickets.

ctibbits
Dumbledore

Post by ctibbits »

Noticing there are one day tours to Salisbury/Stonehenge/Bath but none running until April or May. Is this because of weather or is there another reason? Does anyone know of a way to see these sights without the use of a tour guide? I would rent a car if you lot didn't drive on the wrong side of the road. :D

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

I’m assuming their isn’t enough tourists to justify the tour operators running it until April. Whilst the weather will be truly British at that time (at least 3 seasons on one day) it wouldn’t be snow or anything. Could Stonehenge be closed (until it gets dryer)? I’ve never been, but apparently you can’t get anywhere near it nowadays can you?

London to Bath is about 90mins on the train

No idea how you’d get to Stonehenge/Salisbury from there though.

Bath is a beautiful (but tiny) City. We love it there.
Worth seeing it (a quintessential English experience).
Hand on heart if you’re in London for a limited time... I’m not sure it’s easy to justify $250 and 3hr round trip just for a walk around (stunning as it is).

ctibbits
Dumbledore

Post by ctibbits »

Zimmerman wrote: 21 Jan 2018, 16:20 I’m assuming their isn’t enough tourists to justify the tour operators running it until April. Whilst the weather will be truly British at that time (at least 3 seasons on one day) it wouldn’t be snow or anything. Could Stonehenge be closed (until it gets dryer)? I’ve never been, but apparently you can’t get anywhere near it nowadays can you?

London to Bath is about 90mins on the train

No idea how you’d get to Stonehenge/Salisbury from there though.

Bath is a beautiful (but tiny) City. We love it there.
Worth seeing it (a quintessential English experience).
Hand on heart if you’re in London for a limited time... I’m not sure it’s easy to justify $250 and 3hr round trip just for a walk around (stunning as it is).

I guess the good news is we are going during a "non-tourist" time. Im not how close you can get to Stonehenge now that you mention it, probably should look into it. When you refer to $250 are you talking about the cost of the train? That's insanity if the case, I figured trains were cheap as I also assumed that was how most people traveled about. The wife wants to look into a day trip to Paris via train but if cost is anything near that per ticket I will just buy a bottle of good wine and have her sit in front of a picture of the Eifel Tower! :lol: :lol:

murf
FISO Viscount
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.

Post by murf »

Trains are silly prices on the day but you can get them a lot cheaper if booked in advance. Google Eurostar for Paris.

Bath is indeed a nice place. Been there a few times with work and took the wife/dog along and stayed an extra day or so. Stonehenge should be magnificent but isn't as it is all set up to keep you away unless you pay. Modern stage managing of an ancient wonder. Also not remote and mystical because of roads and tourist hordes etc. I like Avebury if you are down that way and like old stones but you'd probably have to drive on the correct side of the road to get there.

Worth getting a car to escape the horrors of London.

Mystery
FISO Knight
FS Record: 116th in TFF 05/06

Post by Mystery »

Bath is lovely. My wife and I flew over specifically to run a 10k a couple of years ago. Ended up we took in a micro brewery tour too in a pub with the most outstanding carvery.

Back in London though, I'd suggest the Ice Bar off Regent Street, especially if your teenagers would pass for over 18.

Tacalabala
FISO Knight

Post by Tacalabala »

I wouldn't bother, it's not worth that kind of journey for 'day out'. Are you looking for a day out in the country?

ctibbits
Dumbledore

Post by ctibbits »

Tacalabala wrote: 21 Jan 2018, 17:31 I wouldn't bother, it's not worth that kind of journey for 'day out'. Are you looking for a day out in the country?
No not at all. I just like ruins, when in Caribbean I go to Mayan sites too. Consensus seems not worth it thougg

ctibbits
Dumbledore

Post by ctibbits »

Mystery wrote: 21 Jan 2018, 17:21 Bath is lovely. My wife and I flew over specifically to run a 10k a couple of years ago. Ended up we took in a micro brewery tour too in a pub with the most outstanding carvery.

Back in London though, I'd suggest the Ice Bar off Regent Street, especially if your teenagers would pass for over 18.
Have one will be two weeks away from 18, other no chance will pass. I'm guessing you must be 18 even with parents in UK?

ctibbits
Dumbledore

Post by ctibbits »

murf wrote: 21 Jan 2018, 17:11 Trains are silly prices on the day but you can get them a lot cheaper if booked in advance. Google Eurostar for Paris.

Bath is indeed a nice place. Been there a few times with work and took the wife/dog along and stayed an extra day or so. Stonehenge should be magnificent but isn't as it is all set up to keep you away unless you pay. Modern stage managing of an ancient wonder. Also not remote and mystical because of roads and tourist hordes etc. I like Avebury if you are down that way and like old stones but you'd probably have to drive on the correct side of the road to get there.

Thanks for tip, I'll look into it. Guess there are worse things than taking the wife to Paris.

Tacalabala
FISO Knight

Post by Tacalabala »

ctibbits wrote: 21 Jan 2018, 18:22
Tacalabala wrote: 21 Jan 2018, 17:31 I wouldn't bother, it's not worth that kind of journey for 'day out'. Are you looking for a day out in the country?
No not at all. I just like ruins, when in Caribbean I go to Mayan sites too. Consensus seems not worth it thougg
That's fair enough. It would certainly be a great idea for a two stop future vacation though 😊

I would suggest looking at Windsor and Windsor Castle for a day out?

Re age restrictions, yes they are very hot on that here now I'm afraid, no exceptions.

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

ctibbits wrote: 21 Jan 2018, 18:58
murf wrote: 21 Jan 2018, 17:11 Trains are silly prices on the day but you can get them a lot cheaper if booked in advance. Google Eurostar for Paris.

Thanks for tip, I'll look into it. Guess there are worse things than taking the wife to Paris.
Paris is better than London, but rome has better, cheaper restaurants and loads of ruins :wink:

unc.si.
FISO Knight

Post by unc.si. »

blahblah wrote: 31 Dec 2017, 21:18
That is quite near to Unc's fave spot so geta few places to eat off him; but I am with murf on this one: the place is a hell hole.

The 2 Tate's are good, and free, if you like a bit of Art and Borough Mkt is a rip off and a half.

The Eye could be good for you, if it has a good Commentary thing, but I've never been on it.
Just seen this. Think Blah you're getting Spitalfields and Smithfields mixed up. Aldgate is near Spitalfields market, and I usually stay near Smithfields.

Having said that I've stayed near Tower Bridge a few times, which is a close walk to Aldgate East and so I've wandered around that area quite a bit at night to and from restaurants or just wandering. Its an OK area, pretty quiet during the week although I think it gets a bit livelier at the weekend. Aldgate East is a good station to be near though as you're on 2 separate tube lines. I'd say its a pretty good base and I've always felt safe around there.

You're an easy walk from Tower Bridge and the Tower (or one stop on the District Line if you're feeling lazy - get an Oyster card and you can use the tube (all lines) as much as you like - daily fee is capped at about a tenner). Just a couple more stops to Mansion House (for St Pauls) and the same line takes you to Westminster, the Embankment and South Kensington (Natural History Museum and the Science Museum - both fantastic and both free!). The Hamersmith and City line will take you to Liverpool Street for the Central Line (Oxford Street, British Museum, Regent Street, Marble Arch (walk through Hyde Park and Green Park to Buckingham palace etc) or on to St Pancras if you want to get the Euroster to Paris (about £60 return I think if you book in advance, about 2 1/2 hours, or Brussels and then another train to Gent if you want to go to one of my favourite European Cities and try some proper Belgian Beer - actually if you do like Belgian Beer there's a pub just round the back of the Zetter Town House hotel, not far from Smithfield, that sells loads)
Easy walk to the City as well. Very close to Brick lane (overrated tourist curry) and Petticoat lane markets, as well as Spitalfields (well worth a look round) and Maltby Street market (weekends only I think) is close to Tower Bridge (on the other side of the river). Brick Lane and Petticoat lane markets a bit overrated if you ask me, but Spitalfields is worth a look.

You're in Whitechapel so I'm sure there'll be a Jack the Ripper museum somewhere around there as well :-)

If you get a nice day then I'd definitely go to Greenwich - lovely place with the Maritime museum, the Cutty Sark, a lovely park, nice market and fantastic views of the City.

How long are you there for?

ctibbits
Dumbledore

Post by ctibbits »

unc.si. wrote: 21 Jan 2018, 23:23
blahblah wrote: 31 Dec 2017, 21:18

Just seen this. Think Blah you're getting Spitalfields and Smithfields mixed up. Aldgate is near Spitalfields market, and I usually stay near Smithfields.

Having said that I've stayed near Tower Bridge a few times, which is a close walk to Aldgate East and so I've wandered around that area quite a bit at night to and from restaurants or just wandering. Its an OK area, pretty quiet during the week although I think it gets a bit livelier at the weekend. Aldgate East is a good station to be near though as you're on 2 separate tube lines. I'd say its a pretty good base and I've always felt safe around there.

You're an easy walk from Tower Bridge and the Tower (or one stop on the District Line if you're feeling lazy - get an Oyster card and you can use the tube (all lines) as much as you like - daily fee is capped at about a tenner). Just a couple more stops to Mansion House (for St Pauls) and the same line takes you to Westminster, the Embankment and South Kensington (Natural History Museum and the Science Museum - both fantastic and both free!). The Hamersmith and City line will take you to Liverpool Street for the Central Line (Oxford Street, British Museum, Regent Street, Marble Arch (walk through Hyde Park and Green Park to Buckingham palace etc) or on to St Pancras if you want to get the Euroster to Paris (about £60 return I think if you book in advance, about 2 1/2 hours, or Brussels and then another train to Gent if you want to go to one of my favourite European Cities and try some proper Belgian Beer - actually if you do like Belgian Beer there's a pub just round the back of the Zetter Town House hotel, not far from Smithfield, that sells loads)
Easy walk to the City as well. Very close to Brick lane (overrated tourist curry) and Petticoat lane markets, as well as Spitalfields (well worth a look round) and Maltby Street market (weekends only I think) is close to Tower Bridge (on the other side of the river). Brick Lane and Petticoat lane markets a bit overrated if you ask me, but Spitalfields is worth a look.

You're in Whitechapel so I'm sure there'll be a Jack the Ripper museum somewhere around there as well :-)

If you get a nice day then I'd definitely go to Greenwich - lovely place with the Maritime museum, the Cutty Sark, a lovely park, nice market and fantastic views of the City.

How long are you there for?
Brilliant stuff, thanks for all this! I arrive on March 9th, Chelsea vs Palace on the 10th. My wife and kids arrive the night of 10th and we leave on 17th. We would each need an oyster card correct?

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

yes, one each (under 11 can ride free).

unc.si.
FISO Knight

Post by unc.si. »

So how was the trip?

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts