To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Northern Lights weekend break

A forum for discussion on Travel, Holiday & Leisure subjects.
jacksosi
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: TFF : 87th 06/07 ; FPL 1401st 08/09 ; 5AS champions 21/22 🔫🍸

Northern Lights weekend break

Post by jacksosi »

So, mrs jacksosi would like to have a weekend away for her 40th, and seeing the Northern Lights is first choice.

We only have a weekend as we won’t be taking mini jacksosi, so 2-3 days max.

There seem to be a plethora of options

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/hotel ... -borealis/

Anyone been/got any tips?
Obviously travelling time is key due to the short time available.

As it’s next November they have probably all sold out now anyway Image

Cheers

Ps. I’ve already done the joke about Blackpool Image
Last edited by jacksosi on 19 Oct 2017, 08:12, edited 1 time in total.

unc.si.
FISO Knight
FS Record: 'Loser' by Beck

Re: Northern Lights weekend break

Post by unc.si. »

To be honest I'd probably just go to Reykjavik and stay in a hotel in the centre. Can't see the lights very well from there but can take trips out to where there's less light pollution, and if you don't see them you can at least see the city, Thingvellar, Gulfoss, Geysir etc etc and eat some rotten shark, puffin and wind dried fish with butter :-)

If you do go then obviously the Blue Lagoon gets on everyones list, but its packed and a bit too touristy for my liking. Try Gamla Laugin - smaller, cheaper and less well known, although will probably still be crowded. I've been taken to others which are more secluded but couldn't tell you what they were called.

Or you could do Tromsø, see the lights, go on a whale watching tour and see the Arctic Cathedral.

Norwegian fly to Tromsø and WOW (or Icelandair, Easyjet, BA) to Reykjavik and given short time available these are probably better than remote places to cut down on travelling time.

Depends whether you want to be really remote or somewhere where there's something to do other than see the Northern lights.

If you had a bit more time you could have a couple of days in Reykjavik then fly from the city airport to Nuuk (Greenland) to see the lights. Flights to Nuuk are fairly expensive though and you'd need a week to do them both)

jacksosi
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: TFF : 87th 06/07 ; FPL 1401st 08/09 ; 5AS champions 21/22 🔫🍸

Re: Northern Lights weekend break

Post by jacksosi »

unc.si. wrote:To be honest I'd probably just go to Reykjavik and stay in a hotel in the centre. Can't see the lights very well from there but can take trips out to where there's less light pollution, and if you don't see them you can at least see the city, Thingvellar, Gulfoss, Geysir etc etc and eat some rotten shark, puffin and wind dried fish with butter :-)

If you do go then obviously the Blue Lagoon gets on everyones list, but its packed and a bit too touristy for my liking. Try Gamla Laugin - smaller, cheaper and less well known, although will probably still be crowded. I've been taken to others which are more secluded but couldn't tell you what they were called.

Or you could do Tromsø, see the lights, go on a whale watching tour and see the Arctic Cathedral.

Norwegian fly to Tromsø and WOW (or Icelandair, Easyjet, BA) to Reykjavik and given short time available these are probably better than remote places to cut down on travelling time.

Depends whether you want to be really remote or somewhere where there's something to do other than see the Northern lights.

If you had a bit more time you could have a couple of days in Reykjavik then fly from the city airport to Nuuk (Greenland) to see the lights. Flights to Nuuk are fairly expensive though and you'd need a week to do them both)
I must apologise for not thanking you for this detailed reply, how rude of me!

I posted this and must have then forgotten all about it, just stumbled across it again now Image

We haven’t looked into it any further as she decided she didn’t want to be cold Image Image

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Travel, Holidays & Leisure”