To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Things to do in Cape Town

A forum for discussion on Travel, Holiday & Leisure subjects.
Tricky Tree
FISO Knight

Things to do in Cape Town

Post by Tricky Tree »

Looking to visit Cape Town over Xmas/new year for the test against South Africa. As we will lose the test inside 3 days we will have a bit of free time.....any recommendations?

Would love a night or so on a game reserve for example

Digsby
Dumbledore
FS Record: FISODAS relegation fodder

Re: Things to do in Cape Town

Post by Digsby »

I've been round a lot of Southern Africa and really liked Cape Town. Table Mountain is the obvious one. Definitely go to Robben Island, it's a shirt boat trip, to see where Mandela was holed up. The V&A waterfront is where you'll find all the bars, restaurants etc - was vibrant when I went but that was a few years ago so things change. The one place I would recommend above all others is a drive up to Stellenbosch. Can't remember exactly how far it was from Cape Town as it was years ago when I went but, if you like a drop of vino, it's a great place to visit and do some wine tasting.

Enjoy!

Knulpuk
Dumbledore
FS Record: Ultra ultra consistent (see above)

Post by Knulpuk »

It is less than an hour away - I prefer Franchhoek to Stellenbosch - there is Paarl too - they are all good areas - or closer to the centre is Constantia.

The Kirkenbosch botanical gardens are well worth a vist in my opinion.

The Cape park area is nice too and some nice places along the way (The Brass Bell / Simon's Town / Boulder Beach for the Penguins).

Camps Bay area is nice in Cape Town as is the drive over Chapman's paek - the Chapmans's Peak hotel serving the best Calamari in the world.

I have been there 2x over the Christmas period - if you are unlucky you may get a bit of rain earlier on.

It's good value with a strong pound at the moment - is was when there were 10 rand to the pound - now 17 or so?

Can recommend some specific restuarants / wineries if you want that level of detail!

On game reserves - Addo elephant park is not too far away - some of the private reserves around capetown can be very very pricey - Shamwari I think was where Tiger Woods spent his honeymoon - they have the advantage of not being Malarial though

Cheweybacca
Red & Blue Braces

Post by Cheweybacca »

Consider a township tour of Langa - read up about district six as well for context

Tricky Tree
FISO Knight

Post by Tricky Tree »

Thanks, will read through.

Update:

Fly out on Christmas Day, arrive at Port Elizabeth on 26th.
Night in PE then game reserve, possibly Kariega, hopefully can book for a night?
Then drive towards Cape Town, possibly a day or two stop around Pletenburg
Maybe a winery on route to hit Cape Town by 31st

Then have a bit of time before and after test and fly home 9th

reviews for Kariega seem decent though unsure a day is enough, quite pricey but then is we do 2 days the third is free with trailfinders. Makes schedule a bit tight also.

decisions decisions!

Tricky Tree
FISO Knight

Post by Tricky Tree »

GR game lodge reviews

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowUserRe ... ml#REVIEWS" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Kariega reviews

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Revi ... ml#REVIEWS" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

GR maybe takes us in the right direction towards Cape Town

Tricky Tree
FISO Knight

Post by Tricky Tree »

All coming together

Fly out 25th December
Arrive port Elizabeth on 26th (stay one night)
One Night around Pletenburg 27th
Two nights 28/29th at Garden Route Game Lodge
One night 30th at Basse Provence for Wine Tasting
Arrival Cape Town 31st to get hammered with some friends also out for the cricket and an ex player from our club who lives there
While in Cape Town it's cricket, table mountain, robben island + ......
Leave on the 9th January

Can't wait

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Travel, Holidays & Leisure”