To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Safari anyone?

A forum for discussion on Travel, Holiday & Leisure subjects.
WilBert
Dumbledore

Safari anyone?

Post by WilBert »

stevejtr wrote:If you're thinking of SA, you must go to Kruger Park or one of the other wildlife parks. Amazing.
Demand a rollcage in the hire car though.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-li ... e-25710281" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldne ... -Park.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Re: Family summer holiday

Post by Zimmerman »

Saw that in the news (yesterday). Was APPALLED to hear the elephant was put down.

Bunners
Dumbledore

Post by Bunners »

Zimmerman wrote:Saw that in the news (yesterday). Was APPALLED to hear the elephant was put down.
I had to rewind sky because I thought I had misheard them...disgusting imo

WilBert
Dumbledore

Post by WilBert »

Didn't know that. The right commercial decision to take I suppose. Hope it backfires on them.

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

Bunners; I did the exact same thing. Thought I'd misheard.

Moist von Lipwig
FISO Knight
FS Record: FPL Spring 16 Winner 2010-11. Murfs F1 Predictions 2012 Winner. Pick Quick 2012-13 Winner. SP4s Predictions League A & Champions League

Post by Moist von Lipwig »

disgrace, do they think its got a taste for cars now. god forbid we should mess with its habitat.

stevejtr
Grumpy Old Cereal Killer
FS Record: I always liked the old Tele FA Cup competition...

Re: Safari anyone?

Post by stevejtr »

Not the first time its happened. They just got too close I'm afraid.

We got caught in the middle of a herd crossing a road once. Saw some elephant crossing 50yds or so in front so stopped. Then saw more elephant 30 yds or so behind us.

Had no choice but to switch off and be very very quiet.

Matriarch crossed last - in front of us, preceded by the calves. She flapped her ears and trumpeted but that was it. Very, very scary but just a bit amazing at the same time.

Surprised
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: TFFOSM MotW in 2008 and MotM in 2003. 78th overall in TFFO for 2002/3 and 2003/4

Post by Surprised »

Sad that the elephant was put down as the tourists just got too close. No idea why they decided to drive so close to an elephant. In Pilaansburg we saw a huge bull elephant that was just mooching about and we were stopped a safe distance away but he started to trot towards us but then stopped and walked off over the road and walked very close to a small car but did nothing. We were in a 4x4 but he would have treated us as if we were a toy if he was so inclined. It is their territory so their boundaries need to be respected..

gazwood
Dumbledore

Post by gazwood »

We got charged by an elephant whilst on safari in SA. Had to reverse at speed about half a mile before it stopped and wandered off into the bush. Was pretty scary :lol:

Ironfist
FISO Knight
FS Record: FPL 09/10 - 1824th

Post by Ironfist »

We have a drive through Safari park here in Israel where I worked (as a volunteer) for a few months... often we had to stop the patrol jeep and get people back into their cars, when they stopped and got off with bread or lettuce in their hands wanting to feed the hippos :shock: , not realising how dangerous that was. Stupid ignorant people with no respect for nature and wildlife.

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Travel, Holidays & Leisure”