To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Bangkok - suggestions

A forum for discussion on Travel, Holiday & Leisure subjects.
stuboy
Dumbledore

Bangkok - suggestions

Post by stuboy »

Im going in a couple of weeks and have never been before. Aside from the usual ping pong shows, anyone got recommendations to fill my time? Effectively I've got a couple of free days aside from work.

In addition, anyone recommend a tailor to make shirts or suit?

Thanks

Darbyand
FISO Knight
FS Record: TFF World Cup 2014: 6th. TFF: 2020: 30th. 2022 32nd + 54th. Eggs PL 1st 2022. Tenners: 3rd 2019, 2nd 2020, 1st 2022.

Re: Bangkok - suggestions

Post by Darbyand »

Read up about the tuk tuk scam. Been 8 years since i was there but doubt it's stopped since.

Basically driver offers you good price for a city tour, then tells you all the attractions are closed for a royal holiday and instead takes you on tour of shops which he gets a cut of any purchases you make. Very very annoying. There's a similar one where they tell you the price of petrol is high or some such bollocks and you can help them out with vouchers by visiting certain places.

That's the rubbish, loads of interesting stuff to see. Get a rough guide/lonely planet and do the top 10.

Have you pre-booked accommodation?

the dude abides
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Dreamteam Renault Clio Sport Winner 2010/11

Post by the dude abides »

Hi, i used to live in Hua Hin , which is 3 hours North on the Gulf of Thailand, so i know a bit about it.
The Grand Palace, Floating Market, and many temples are a must. When i lived there it was a bit harder to get around, but i took my wife there a few years ago to show her my past, and "the Skytrain" makes it a easy City to navigate.
Pratunam Market is a great place for a suit, takes a few days, but now they have many large malls such as MBK which is huge , just remember to barter.,
Use the river to travel to Grand Palace etc, so easy , little boats leave every 15 mins and you can buy day ticket , and just hop on and off where you want.
If you have never been to Asia it's a bit of a culture shock, it's not all glamour :D ,but just be confident, a warning about Tuk Tuk drivers, they have a habit of telling you wherever your going is shut, and they will take you to a better place, dont give em a inch, be firm ,and tell them you know your way round , just take me to my destination.
It's safe enough, there just trying to flog you some thing you dont want.
If you go to floating market, you can also go on to Bridge over River Kwai, which is fantastic, and includes a high speed river trip on speed boat.
Food is great , and cheap, and it is a full on City, not my favourite, but unforgettable....
Oh ,and if your tall, I'm 6ft, you will feel like a giant.. :lol:
p.s. Get yourself a decent Map, showing all Skytrain, and River stations, they are free everywhere.
Have great time..

stuboy
Dumbledore

Post by stuboy »

Thanks for the running Darbyand - didn't know about that so happy I so now.

Dude - great insight. Thanks very much. Arrive on a Monday and leave Saturday night so will go to tailors when I arrive. 4 day conference then 2 days to myself so sounds like plenty of things to do. Is it worth securing a Tuk Tuk driver for the day? Does it make them more honest? Or easier just to grab when you need them?

Darbyand
FISO Knight
FS Record: TFF World Cup 2014: 6th. TFF: 2020: 30th. 2022 32nd + 54th. Eggs PL 1st 2022. Tenners: 3rd 2019, 2nd 2020, 1st 2022.

Post by Darbyand »

if you're at a decent hotel might be worth booking one through them and as dude says be crystal clear you'll stand for no nonsense.

Knulpuk
Dumbledore
FS Record: Ultra ultra consistent (see above)

Post by Knulpuk »

Jim Thompson's house worth a visit.

7lb claimer
Grumpy Old Man

Post by 7lb claimer »

Do a minibus tour .. brochures usually in hotel .. they'll pick you up and you can relax on the way. Best to be non confrontational in Thailand these days. Another possible would be to get right out of town to somewhere like Pattaya or Hua Hin and do an overnight stay there. Hotel and travel prices are very good. Hope you miss the rainy season.

budastep
Wideboy

Post by budastep »

stuboy wrote:Im going in a couple of weeks and have never been before. Aside from the usual ping pong shows, anyone got recommendations to fill my time? Effectively I've got a couple of free days aside from work.

In addition, anyone recommend a tailor to make shirts or suit?

Thanks
Regarding the ping pong shows, be aware that they don't charge entry, they charge to leave, and it can be very expensive. Make sure to ask the bouncers if theres an exit fee before you go in.

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Travel, Holidays & Leisure”