To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Grand Theft Auto V

A forum for discussions on Games such as Xbox, Playstation, Su Doku, Crosswords, Wordle, Quordle, Centordle & Board Games
rossn13
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: 12th TFFE 09/10

Grand Theft Auto V

Post by rossn13 »

Grand Theft Auto V has the potential to be the greatest game of this console generation in my opinion.
The gameplay trailer released a few hours ago looks incredible.

Here are the features I'm looking forward to.

The map size is larger than every other GTA + Red Dead put together.
Playing golf.
Playing tennis.
Cross country cycling races.
Hunting.
Deep sea diving.
Collecting bounties.
Planning strategic bank robberies.
The lead characters look to have well developed personalities/back stories.
New driving and shooting mechanics.
Mass multiplayer carnage :shock:

Any other fans of the series on FISO looking forward to this?

DrBunker
FISO Knight
FS Record: FISODAS season 21 Premiership champion

Re: Grand Theft Auto V

Post by DrBunker »

I've not played any of the games in the series but that looks immense. :shock:

midnightrun
Red & Blue Braces
FS Record: SDT Long Weekend TableTopper 2013/14, John Morrison Elite Paint Trophy 2014/15

Post by midnightrun »

Played all 3 superb GTA IV outings. The attention to detail in Rockstar games is incredible - what other game has it's own internet and email as a minor feature?

New gameplay video is immense. Just as long as they lose the 'friends calling you to go out' feature, I have no doubt it will be the best gaming experience of current console generation. They haven't even unveiled the online features yet. Imagine planning a robbery with two other strangers and then trying to pull it off? Mind-blowing!

Surprised
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: TFFOSM MotW in 2008 and MotM in 2003. 78th overall in TFFO for 2002/3 and 2003/4

Post by Surprised »

Certainly going on my list.
I'm currently a bit stuck on GTA 4 as I just can't get the guy in the launderette!!

Richt
FISO Knight
FS Record: Averagely consistant.

Post by Richt »

Looks totally amazing. Not sure I'll have enough time to play it though.

DrBunker
FISO Knight

Post by DrBunker »

Richt wrote:Not sure I'll have enough time to play it though.
This is why I haven't played any of them! :lol: I used to be addicted to the likes of Civilisation when I was younger but daren't go down that road now. :(

arsene doesn't know
Grumpy Old Man

Post by arsene doesn't know »

Anyone jumped in to this yet? Should be downloaded when I get home - that's this evening written off!

bluenosey
Dumblenose
FS Record: FISO Goals Champ 2018/19 & 2019/20

Post by bluenosey »

Sorry gents but I think these games are pretty horrific.

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

bluenosey wrote:Sorry gents but I think these games are pretty horrific.
And if we agree we must be right 8-)

Achiles74
Dumbledore

Post by Achiles74 »

I agree with you Bluenosey, people complain about society today, yet enjoy playing games which glamorize everything which is wrong with society today.

DrBunker
FISO Knight

Post by DrBunker »

What part of them? I could be wrong but I think they've moved away from the beating up of hookers and more into the MMORG, sand-box style. Most popular games involve some sort of violence or anti-society element: Call of Duty, Assassin's Creed, FIFA etc.

rossn13
Grumpy Old Man

Post by rossn13 »

They're just games, bloody good games actually!

I have no problem with people not wanting to play them but I can't stand it when people call for them to be banned. They're always given the highest age rating, 18, m etc. Obviously kids are going to want to play them, but that's up to the parents to enforce. It's no different to movies such as The Godfather or Scarface.

Those of you that say you don't like the games, have you actually played them before? You may think the series just sells based on shock value but they're incredibly deep, well crafted works of art.

Back to the game...

I'm trying to get a copy imported from Hong Kong as the Chinese government likes to decide what it's residents can and can't watch, play or read :roll:

Surprised
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: TFFOSM MotW in 2008 and MotM in 2003. 78th overall in TFFO for 2002/3 and 2003/4

Post by Surprised »

It looks great but maybe the PS4 is needed to really get the benefit of the superb graphics.

goldenballs
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Not Great.

Post by goldenballs »

My local Tesco sold 15k worth of this game on the night it was released,thought about buying shares in Tesco lol

bluenosey
Dumblenose

Post by bluenosey »

DrBunker wrote:
What part of them? I could be wrong but I think they've moved away from the beating up of hookers and more into the MMORG, sand-box style. Most popular games involve some sort of violence or anti-society element: Call of Duty, Assassin's Creed, FIFA etc.
I accept that some games are slightly near the knuckle and juding by the clip, the graphics are awesome. However, one of the clips showed some psycho trying to push the remains of a leg down a toilet. Even worse, hunt animals. What's that about ? If a game involved killing elephants to accumulate the highest number of tusks, what would people think ? Must be aimed at the North American market, then. Just a pity someone couldn't come up with something clever, creative and a bit more positive. IMO, of course.

Giggs11
Grumpy Old Man
Location: But Gerrard effed it up,again!! Gerrard effed it up, again!!!

Post by Giggs11 »

They do, but no one plays them ....

journey-t102135.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

rossn13
Grumpy Old Man

Post by rossn13 »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-24066068" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Good article... and the top rated comments are amusing :wink:

rossn13
Grumpy Old Man

Post by rossn13 »

DrBunker
FISO Knight

Post by DrBunker »

rossn13 wrote:http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-24066068

Good article... and the top rated comments are amusing :wink:
I think the second comment nails it:
I find it funny that so many people get worked up about an 18 rated game that is legally restricted so adults can purchase it. If it is being played by under age kids, blame the parents.

No one seemed to kick up a fuss that 50 Shades of Grey, with its tales of fragile women being sexually abused by men in powerful positions was available on the bottom shelf in my local supermarket.

Hypocrites.

bluenosey
Dumblenose

Post by bluenosey »

or

19. G P West Mids
17TH SEPTEMBER 2013 - 10:37
I'm an avid gamer and have been for 25 years or so, but this game is typical of what the UK's culture has come to. You may think this is a nanny state comment, but It depicts gangland culture and all that is bad about it, so how can we be proud of it? There's a generation of kids these days that have no respect for anything or anyone and 'games' like this doesn't help!

sleuth
Dumbledore

Post by sleuth »

Surprised wrote:Certainly going on my list.
I'm currently a bit stuck on GTA 4 as I just can't get the guy in the launderette!!

X-Man
Dumbledore

Post by X-Man »

bluenosey wrote:or

19. G P West Mids
I'm an avid gamer and have been for 25 years or so, but this game is typical of what the UK's culture has come to. You may think this is a nanny state comment, but It depicts gangland culture and all that is bad about it, so how can we be proud of it? There's a generation of kids these days that have no respect for anything or anyone and 'games' like this doesn't help!
So in your view Bluenosey is this game wildly different (in moral/values terms) from Films like Goodfellas/Pulp Fiction/Lock Stock etc. or TV Programmes like Breaking Bad/The Wire/The Sopranos?

rossn13
Grumpy Old Man

Post by rossn13 »

I find it funny that so many people get worked up about an 18 rated game that is legally restricted so adults can purchase it. If it is being played by under age kids, blame the parents.

No one seemed to kick up a fuss that 50 Shades of Grey, with its tales of fragile women being sexually abused by men in powerful positions was available on the bottom shelf in my local supermarket.

Hypocrites.
This is the highest rated comment out of 937 with +269.
This is the 4th lowest rated comment out of 937 with -84

My personal favourite...
I won't be buying this myself. As a child I was completely influenced by Tom and Jerry and now spend all of my spare time hitting cats in the face with frying pans while dogs chase me with baseball bats.

DrBunker
FISO Knight

Post by DrBunker »

X-Man wrote:

19. G P West Mids
So in your view Bluenosey is this game wildly different (in moral/values terms) from Films like Goodfellas/Pulp Fiction/Lock Stock etc. or TV Programmes like Breaking Bad/The Wire/The Sopranos?
I remember getting a pirate copy of Pulp Fiction and Reservoir Dogs when I was about 12/13 and there are countless examples of the same. I'm pretty sure that each successive generation has bemoaned the decline of society but the lack of computer games certainly didn't affect the hundreds of wars, riots and revolutions over the last millennia.

I wouldn't go out and join a gang with or without a video game and I would suggest that those that do join a gang specifically because of a a video game would be in the massive minority. Gang culture, misogyny* etc. are not caused by a single event but by an entire childhood.

*FWIW I don't agree with this aspect I just don't think it has a potent effect on anyone who doesn't already feel this way. Just look at the Strictly thread for a gold plated case of objectification - at a guess mainly by people who won't be playing this game.

bluenosey
Dumblenose

Post by bluenosey »

X-Man wrote:

19. G P West Mids
Yes in that the Computer game is more aimed at 12 year olds, despite the 18 year old certificate. Would be a bit like airing The Sopranos at 7pm.

bluenosey
Dumblenose

Post by bluenosey »

rossn13 wrote:

Hypocrites.
This is the highest rated comment out of 937 with +269.
This is the 4th lowest rated comment out of 937 with -84

My personal favourite...
I won't be buying this myself. As a child I was completely influenced by Tom and Jerry and now spend all of my spare time hitting cats in the face with frying pans while dogs chase me with baseball bats.
Well T & J has been cleansed - at least the black woman shouting "Thomas" has now been replaced by, presumably, a white woman. So at least there are no racial stereotypes anymore in this dangerous genre - just people going out shooting at stabbing people graphically in other games, which seems to be more acceptable :wink:

bluenosey
Dumblenose

Post by bluenosey »

DrBunker wrote:
X-Man wrote:

19. G P West Mids
I remember getting a pirate copy of Pulp Fiction and Reservoir Dogs when I was about 12/13 and there are countless examples of the same. I'm pretty sure that each successive generation has bemoaned the decline of society but the lack of computer games certainly didn't affect the hundreds of wars, riots and revolutions over the last millennia.

I wouldn't go out and join a gang with or without a video game and I would suggest that those that do join a gang specifically because of a a video game would be in the massive minority. Gang culture, misogyny* etc. are not caused by a single event but by an entire childhood.

*FWIW I don't agree with this aspect I just don't think it has a potent effect on anyone who doesn't already feel this way. Just look at the Strictly thread for a gold plated case of objectification - at a guess mainly by people who won't be playing this game.
I absolutely can't stand Plop Fiction. Went to the pictures to see everyone laughing merrily at a male rape scene. Biggest pile I have ever seen. Laurel & Hardy it ain't :(

rossn13
Grumpy Old Man

Post by rossn13 »

bluenosey wrote:
X-Man wrote:

19. G P West Mids
Yes in that the Computer game is more aimed at 12 year olds, despite the 18 year old certificate. Would be a bit like airing The Sopranos at 7pm.
That's precisely the problem. People think of computer games and presume they're for kids :roll:

I'm 28 and ALL of my friends/peers play computer games.

Perhaps this will enlighten you.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_game_culture#Demographics wrote:As of 2011, the average age for a video game player is 37,[1] a number slowly increasing as people who were children playing the first arcade, console and home computer games continue playing now on current systems.[2] The gender distribution of gamers is reaching equilibrium, according to a 2011 study showing that 58% of gamers are male and 42% female.[1] As of 2011, ESA reported that 71% of people age six to forty-nine in the U.S. played video games, with 55% of gamers playing on their phones or mobile devices.[1] The average age of players across the globe is mid to late 20s, and is increasing as older players grow in numbers.[3]

DrBunker
FISO Knight

Post by DrBunker »

bluenosey wrote:I absolutely can't stand Plop Fiction. Went to the pictures to see everyone laughing merrily at a male rape scene. Biggest pile I have ever seen. Laurel & Hardy it ain't
But there's a massive difference between individual tastes and suggesting that something is one of the causes of current societal ills.

rossn13
Grumpy Old Man

Post by rossn13 »

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Games incl. Video Games”