To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Grand Theft Auto V

A forum for discussions on Games such as Xbox, Playstation, Su Doku, Crosswords, Wordle, Quordle, Centordle & Board Games
blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Re: Grand Theft Auto V

Post by blahblah »

Maybe, but the person who got mugged in the early hours for his copy amused me....

DrBunker
FISO Knight
FS Record: FISODAS season 21 Premiership champion

Post by DrBunker »

rossn13 wrote:
bluenosey wrote:
X-Man wrote:So in your view Bluenosey is this game wildly different (in moral/values terms) from Films like Goodfellas/Pulp Fiction/Lock Stock etc. or TV Programmes like Breaking Bad/The Wire/The Sopranos?
Yes in that the Computer game is more aimed at 12 year olds, despite the 18 year old certificate. Would be a bit like airing The Sopranos at 7pm.
That's precisely the problem. People think of computer games and presume they're for kids :roll:

I'm 28 and ALL of my friends/peers play computer games.
[/quote]Exactly, unless the parent is unaware or not in control there is no reason for a child of 12 to be playing it. It's no different to trying to ban alcohol or cigarette bc the manufacturers subtly advertise them to underage kids.

DrBunker
FISO Knight

Post by DrBunker »

blahblah wrote:Maybe, but the person who got mugged in the early hours for his copy amused me....
In what way is that relevant? People get mugged for carrying an iPhone or even nice trainers but no one tries to claim that those things cause violence.

Also, there is a certain irony in you enjoying people getting mugged! ;)

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

Well there is the word "theft" in the title, and it is probably a violent game - I have never played such game as they do nothing for me.

I have given up using the word irony, as it normally triggers loads of posts about it not being irony :wink:

X-Man
Dumbledore

Post by X-Man »

blahblah wrote: I have given up using the word irony, as it normally triggers loads of posts about it not being irony :wink:
How ironic! :wink:

X-Man
Dumbledore

Post by X-Man »

bluenosey wrote: Yes in that the Computer game is more aimed at 12 year olds, despite the 18 year old certificate. Would be a bit like airing The Sopranos at 7pm.
But I think my point was that to a very large extent the sort of values and morals which are criticised in GTA V can be found in all sorts of Films and TV series. Now if your argument is actually about children who are under 18 playing these games then that involves a slightly different set of principles to do with regulation and parental control.

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

X-Man wrote:
blahblah wrote: I have given up using the word irony, as it normally triggers loads of posts about it not being irony :wink:
How ironic! :wink:
Is it? :? :lol:

DrBunker
FISO Knight

Post by DrBunker »

blahblah wrote:I have given up using the word irony, as it normally triggers loads of posts about it not being irony :wink:
As the good doctor says, what's the difference between irony and sarcasm? A degree. :)

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

But sarcasm is the highest form of wit :lol:

edit: [urlhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pk30a0qsVIk]Does this count? (a youtube treat, so beware if at work etc :wink: )[/url]

bluenosey
Dumblenose
FS Record: FISO Goals Champ 2018/19 & 2019/20

Post by bluenosey »

@ Ross

Cheers for the info. As my crowd is aged late thirties to early forties and none of us are active gamers, I didn't appreciate that the average gamer age is 34. Or that 40% of women play. I'd assumed it was mostly young lads, teenagers and 20 somethings having a lads night. Perhaps those that grew up like me with Grandstand consoles :arrow: Astro Wars :arrow: Speccy :arrow: Amiga :arrow: PC like me still enjoy their PC games and if it's pure escapism, then there's nowt wrong with that.

I still prefer Sweevo's World though :mrgreen:

DrBunker
FISO Knight

Post by DrBunker »

This is why I'm so skeptical when a 50-something MP, who has probably never left his comfortable bubble of society, starts billowing on about gang culture and violent games!

bluenosey
Dumblenose

Post by bluenosey »

DrBunker wrote:This is why I'm so skeptical when a 50-something MP, who has probably never left his comfortable bubble of society, starts billowing on about gang culture and violent games!
To be fair, when a lot of inner city kids are getting stabbed on a daily basis, I suppose they start looking for reasons. Games like this are like putty in their hands.

Now I'm just off to play a Def Leppard LP backwards :wink:

Surprised
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: TFFOSM MotW in 2008 and MotM in 2003. 78th overall in TFFO for 2002/3 and 2003/4

Post by Surprised »

bluenosey wrote:
DrBunker wrote:This is why I'm so skeptical when a 50-something MP, who has probably never left his comfortable bubble of society, starts billowing on about gang culture and violent games!
To be fair, when a lot of inner city kids are getting stabbed on a daily basis, I suppose they start looking for reasons. Games like this are like putty in their hands.

They blamed music, then video nasties, then video games and then the internet. Not one of these things is too blame for anything. People turn into nasty people because of bad parenting

bluenosey
Dumblenose

Post by bluenosey »

Surprised wrote:
bluenosey wrote:

They blamed music, then video nasties, then video games and then the internet. Not one of these things is too blame for anything. People turn into nasty people because of bad parenting
I agree :) although I think that a lack of deterrent/punishment - people knowing people they can get away with - doesn't help.

Surprised
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: TFFOSM MotW in 2008 and MotM in 2003. 78th overall in TFFO for 2002/3 and 2003/4

Post by Surprised »

bluenosey wrote:
Surprised wrote:
bluenosey wrote:

I agree :) although I think that a lack of deterrent/punishment - people knowing people they can get away with - doesn't help.

I am now in shock....because I actually agree with you :lol:
I once agreed with groomy and I never really fully recovered!

bluenosey
Dumblenose

Post by bluenosey »

Surprised wrote:
bluenosey wrote:
Surprised wrote:
bluenosey wrote:

8-)

hornet
Grumpy Old Man

Post by hornet »

Surprised wrote: They blamed music, then video nasties, then video games and then the internet. Not one of these things is too blame for anything. People turn into nasty people because of bad parenting
Hear, hear

golden bear
Dumbledore
FS Record: FPL 9 Ball Champ, Incidental and murfs Knockout Cups Winner

Post by golden bear »

Surely the fact that people are at home beating prostitutes and stabbing strangers means that it keeps them off the streets beating prostitutes and stabbing strangers. That's got to be a good thing?

golden bear
Dumbledore
FS Record: FPL 9 Ball Champ, Incidental and murfs Knockout Cups Winner

Post by golden bear »

Is anyone aware that when the first GTA came out the makers of the game hired Max Clifford to plant fake stories of outrage in the papers so that the easily outraged could promote the game?

It's still working beautifully. :D

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

Isn't he up on sex charges?

Art imitates life imitates art imitates life.....

Achiles74
Dumbledore

Post by Achiles74 »

Surprised wrote:
bluenosey wrote:
Surprised wrote:
bluenosey wrote:

Wait until you day you agree with Achilles74 :wink:

The Real Slim Shady
Dumbledore
FS Record: 1,465th in FPL 05/06

Post by The Real Slim Shady »

Totally hooked.

I blame my FPL position because of this :lol:

Foxtrot
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: TFF Champion 05/06. Tinkerman weekly winner 12/13.

Post by Foxtrot »

Amazing, amazing game. Wish I had more time to play it.

Patrician
Grumpy Old Man
Location: ...bears no responsibility for bad points forecasts
FS Record: 2nd TFFE 2008, FPL 3 top 10k finishes

Post by Patrician »

It is a work of art. Very good game indeed.

arsene doesn't know
Grumpy Old Man

Post by arsene doesn't know »

Anyone jumped into online yet? Haven't had chance yet.

t.gridley
Grumpy Old Man

Post by t.gridley »

Wife is off to France today, will give it a spin when I get up from working the night shift :lol:

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Games incl. Video Games”