To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Stunning Hyper-Realist Drawings

A forum for discussion on the 'finer' things in life.
Flyman
FISO Knight
FS Record: FISO FPL Knockout Cup Winner 08; 5th Overall Sky Sports Euro 12

Stunning Hyper-Realist Drawings

Post by Flyman »

Really impressed by this guy's work:

Paul Cadden

Groomyd
FISO Jedi Knight

Re: Stunning Hyper-Realist Drawings

Post by Groomyd »

Wow! :shock:

Spinynorman
FISO Jedi Fish
FS Record: Under Ordinary

Post by Spinynorman »

Blimey. He makes better drawings than I take photo's.

Moist von Lipwig
FISO Knight
FS Record: FPL Spring 16 Winner 2010-11. Murfs F1 Predictions 2012 Winner. Pick Quick 2012-13 Winner. SP4s Predictions League A & Champions League

Post by Moist von Lipwig »

wow, thats incredible.

Surprised
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: TFFOSM MotW in 2008 and MotM in 2003. 78th overall in TFFO for 2002/3 and 2003/4

Post by Surprised »

What an amazing talent.

WilBert
Dumbledore

Post by WilBert »

A bargain at 5k a pop. Awsome nice spot flyman.

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

Spinynorman wrote:Blimey. He makes better drawings than I take photo's.
I sense you are not alone :lol:

(I assume he uses more than a bog standard pencil, especially for the white bits :? )

I'm quite taken by her stuff

Flyman
FISO Knight
FS Record: FISO FPL Knockout Cup Winner 08; 5th Overall Sky Sports Euro 12

Post by Flyman »

WilBert wrote:A bargain at 5k a pop.
Absolutely. Always a market for quality Scottish art - and this is quality!
Just wish I had £5K spare. Fantastic investment, imo.

(Found it on my fly fishing forum - I don't usually read The Mail, honest! :lol: )

mephisto
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: The end is where we start from

Post by mephisto »

Thanks Flyman for the intro...some unexpected quality exists in a number of them, between the figurative and photographic.
As a huge fan of photojournalism (Picture Post and 60's 70's war photography heyday, especially Gamma photographers in Vietnam) these drawings equally hold one's attention, as if something is about to happen, even to the old folks portraits. There is mystery at work here, in the process and an empathy that few photographers express or capture. Interesting.

mikeg13
FISO Knight

Post by mikeg13 »

mephisto wrote:Thanks Flyman for the intro...some unexpected quality exists in a number of them, between the figurative and photographic.
As a huge fan of photojournalism (Picture Post and 60's 70's war photography heyday, especially Gamma photographers in Vietnam) these drawings equally hold one's attention, as if something is about to happen, even to the old folks portraits. There is mystery at work here, in the process and an empathy that few photographers express or capture. Interesting.
Quite stunning images.

Did Gamma survive, did a google on them but could not see if they managed to stay going, my first job was at a photo agency (Fox) used to love going through the library they had some of the iconic images.

Pouzar
Dumbledore
FS Record: 3rd in TFFO 2005

Post by Pouzar »

Striking work. Anyone know if he works from photographs? Hard to believe some of these images could have been based on people posing. Only other alternative is they are works of the imagination. Just curious. Whichever it it they are very impressive IMHO.

sted
Dumbledore
Location: Outside, fighting 3 big fellas and drinking beer at the same time.

Post by sted »

Pouzar wrote:Striking work. Anyone know if he works from photographs? Hard to believe some of these images could have been based on people posing. Only other alternative is they are works of the imagination. Just curious. Whichever it it they are very impressive IMHO.
He works from photos.....hence criticism from other 'artists'

I find his work amazing.

Pouzar
Dumbledore
FS Record: 3rd in TFFO 2005

Post by Pouzar »

The question is whether he simply replicates the photos in drawings or uses them to work off of. To really judge the artistic merit one would have to set the photo beside the drawing.

Raisin
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Raisin »

Pouzar wrote:The question is whether he simply replicates the photos in drawings or uses them to work off of. To really judge the artistic merit one would have to set the photo beside the drawing.
Interesting point. What is the difference if any between 'artist' and ' good at drawing'?

I know I can give more respect to a painter who throws paint at the wall or draws coloured blobs on a canvas if I know he can also paint a realistic apple. But is that fair? Does the value of the art come at least partly from the technical ability of the artist or is it purely based on the result?

Conversely, are Paul Cadden's works just 'good drawings' or do they also have artistic merit? Again, does technical ability (which this guy clearly has in spades) create art on its own? A number of accepted great artists were portrait painters who produced ultra-realistic works - e.g. Gainsborough? (not an art expert so don't flame me).

I know I would rather have a Paul Cadden work on my wall than coloured blobs. But that's just my preference, not an artistic judgement.

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Arts, Literature & Cultural Events”