To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Quillress.com

A forum for discussion on the 'finer' things in life.
Herc6
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Telegraph December Monthly Winner, SDT WDT Winner x7, Rugby World Cup Predictions Winner. Euro 2012 SDT phase one prize winner x3. Tour De France Weekly Winner, Formula 1 overall winner (Holiday to New York)

Quillress.com

Post by Herc6 »

A fellow University student and I have set up a creative writing/social networking site where like minded students (and writing enthusiasts) can come together and exchange ideas, post up creative writing and critique other literature.

From the Site:

This is a brand spanking new website created by a few enthusiastic students from Strathclyde University. The purpose of this site is to create a unique social community for people interested in creative writing. We believe that the future of collaboration lies here on the internet. We are living in an age in which writers are beginning to embrace and push the boundaries of the digital revolution. It’s getting easier to share our thoughts, feelings and emotions to a greater, more perceptive audience. We hope, in our own small way, to create a platform that you may be able to do the same.

Over the next few weeks and months, we hope to expand our ‘Blog’ page to incorporate invaluable interviews with published writers, academics, and people within the publishing industry to help you discover your own place in the writing world. Our aim is to bring the writer, the academic world, and the publishing industry together, in one online place. You will witness the functionality of our community grow to include many exciting new features that you can utilise to promote your own unique work to the world.

We don’t want this to be a closed community, in some small forgotten corner of the internet, so we aim to promote this website, have it connected with as many people in the industry as possible. By doing this, Quillress can be your gateway to find the connections you need to progress in a career of writing.

We wish to bring a unique creative online experience. One that I hope perhaps some users of FISO can perhaps appreciate. It's obviously in its early stages of development but my friend and I have set a target of 500 members by the end of next month and hope that it will grow exponentially across the UK from there.

In an attempt to create buzz, I will be interviewing leading Scottish writers Alan Bissett and Christopher Brookmyre and posting it on the site, in the hope that they can give some insight into how to nurture a passion for writing and what to do to start a successful career in writing, in its many forms.

Website Link - http://quillress.com/
Twitter Feed - http://twitter.com/#!/quillress
Facebook Page - http://www.facebook.com/pages/Quillress/179395245498957
Last edited by Herc6 on 19 Feb 2012, 22:04, edited 2 times in total.

bluenosey
Dumblenose
FS Record: FISO Goals Champ 2018/19 & 2019/20

Re: Quillress.com

Post by bluenosey »

Looks really good Herc - well beyond my intelligence level though :wink:

Good luck with the site 8-)

Herc6
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Telegraph December Monthly Winner, SDT WDT Winner x7, Rugby World Cup Predictions Winner. Euro 2012 SDT phase one prize winner x3. Tour De France Weekly Winner, Formula 1 overall winner (Holiday to New York)

Post by Herc6 »

Thanks BN, I'm really sure it's not beyond your intelligence level though. You a smart dude :wink:

murf
FISO Viscount
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.

Post by murf »

bluenosey wrote:well beyond my intelligence level though :wink:
They are interviewing Christopher Brookmyre and he writes about 'jobbies' so hopefully not too high-brow!

Herc6
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Herc6 »

murf wrote:
bluenosey wrote:well beyond my intelligence level though :wink:
They are interviewing Christopher Brookmyre and he writes about 'jobbies' so hopefully not too high-brow!
It's the artiest "Jobby" known to man though.

Zizek would concur of the merit in talking shite :wink:

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

I'm quite skilled in that 8-)

bloggie
Dumbledore
Location: Tourists swarm to see your face Confucius has a puzzling grace Disoriented you enter in unleashing

Post by bloggie »

'Competitions for up incoming writers soon.'
I thought it was up-and-coming. :)
Also perhaps add 'and music' to 'new literature' as that's the only review so far there.

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

bloggie wrote:'Competitions for up incoming writers soon.'
There will be a competition for up and coming editors after the one for writers :wink:

bloggie
Dumbledore
Location: Tourists swarm to see your face Confucius has a puzzling grace Disoriented you enter in unleashing

Post by bloggie »

Apart from that it looks quite pretty. :)
Actually a separate music site with Youtube links to new artists sounds like an idea.

eagle224
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Veteran

Post by eagle224 »

Looks good. Why Quillress, what's behind the name?

The site seems to need javascript enabled to see anything other than the navigation bar on the main page, including the site description, which may need looking at to at least get the information across to your visitors even if javascript is disabled.

unc.si.
FISO Knight
FS Record: 'Loser' by Beck

Post by unc.si. »

There's an author on FISO isn't there? Can't remember who it was (Thinking Arthur Seaton, although that's probably just the literary reference playing tricks with my memory) but they published a football related book / poem I think.

If anyone can find who it was they might be interested in this.

(it was probably Herc and I'm going to look really stupid)

(again :lol: )

Surprised
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: TFFOSM MotW in 2008 and MotM in 2003. 78th overall in TFFO for 2002/3 and 2003/4

Post by Surprised »

unc.si. wrote:There's an author on FISO isn't there? Can't remember who it was (Thinking Arthur Seaton, although that's probably just the literary reference playing tricks with my memory) but they published a football related book / poem I think.

I think it was Foreverengland or a name similar to that

Herc6
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Herc6 »

Surprised wrote:
unc.si. wrote:There's an author on FISO isn't there? Can't remember who it was (Thinking Arthur Seaton, although that's probably just the literary reference playing tricks with my memory) but they published a football related book / poem I think.

Wasn't it EnglandCollapsed? I'm sure he had a book of poems selling on Amazon; don't believe it's there anymore though.

Herc6
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Herc6 »

murf wrote:
There will be a competition for up and coming editors after the one for writers :wink:
I'm going to give my fellow 'STUDENT' a proper Baldrick beating over that one.

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

Herc6 wrote: Wasn't it EnglandCollapsed? I'm sure he had a book of poems selling on Amazon; don't believe it's there anymore though.
Rings a proverial bell.

Herc6
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Herc6 »

eagle224 wrote:Looks good. Why Quillress, what's behind the name?

The site seems to need javascript enabled to see anything other than the navigation bar on the main page, including the site description, which may need looking at to at least get the information across to your visitors even if javascript is disabled.
We started with Quill because it was an antiquated writing tool, and we wanted to use its name in a new modern context and by changing it slightly give it a modern signified meaning. Also, it generally has no real meaning as of yet and that's what we liked about it, the website itself would become entirely connected to the name and nothing else. A bit like Facebook and Spotify ect. what do they really mean? :wink:
Last edited by Herc6 on 20 Feb 2012, 15:36, edited 1 time in total.

Herc6
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Herc6 »

Also perhaps add 'and music' to 'new literature' as that's the only review so far there.
Also Bloggie that music review of mines is just a test since it's only in Beta mode, it was something I wrote for the music site I am working with. The website will be showcasing mainly Literature based reviews and perhaps the odd theatre review.

Surprised
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: TFFOSM MotW in 2008 and MotM in 2003. 78th overall in TFFO for 2002/3 and 2003/4

Post by Surprised »

Herc6 wrote:
Surprised wrote:
Wasn't it EnglandCollapsed? I'm sure he had a book of poems selling on Amazon; don't believe it's there anymore though.
Yep.
EnglandCollapsed sounds familiar

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

Herc6 wrote:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/1456543016" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

books-t109-180.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (scroll to Jan 11)

Herc6
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Herc6 »

http://quillress.com/interviews/

Interview with Alan Bissett is up. What an interesting character he is, had a great night with him and his literary friends from the Glasgow Mlitt Course.

There is a little bit of Scots dialogue that may perhaps puzzle you English boys.

bloggie
Dumbledore

Post by bloggie »

Nice read.
'when their in the car'(sorry).

Herc6
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Herc6 »

bloggie wrote:Nice read.
'when their in the car'(sorry).
Haha yeah, I was up all night listening to the review, pausing it every few seconds. So there was bound to be a mistake or two. Glad you enjoyed it :lol:

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Arts, Literature & Cultural Events”