To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

FISO Book Club - Nominations for May open

A forum for discussion on the 'finer' things in life.
WilBert
Dumbledore

FISO Book Club - Nominations for May open

Post by WilBert »

Following on from the amazing success of March's book club where we've had at least 5 finish the book. Nominations are now open for May, noms open until Saturday 26th, voting from 26th to 30th May. This allows enough time for Vid to stock up on some optrex and match sticks.

Vid
Head Moderator
FS Record: winning is a distant memory

Re: FISO Book Club - Nominations for May open

Post by Vid »

Going on the speed most read at I could read all the nominations before the vote is finished!

Achiles74
Dumbledore

Post by Achiles74 »

Can I nominate the amazing work of fiction by Sir Alex Ferguson? His latest autobiography.

WilBert
Dumbledore

Post by WilBert »

Yes of course but I won't be voting for it because
a. I consider it trolling.
b. You've already started 28 threads on the chapters I'd find interesting
c. I don't want to read it

Achiles74
Dumbledore

Post by Achiles74 »

Just saying because I read it last week, it would save me time having to read it for the book club.

But to increase Fisomaniac participation then would it be worthwhile choosing a sports orientated novel, the last chick flick one you choose seriously put people off this book club

Maldini
Dumbledore

Post by Maldini »

This one is right up your street fella

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Football-Dummie ... or+dummies" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:mrgreen:

Achiles74
Dumbledore

Post by Achiles74 »

Bron Yr Aur wrote:This one is right up your street fella

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Football-Dummie ... or+dummies" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:mrgreen:
Out of interest are you English?

WilBert
Dumbledore

Post by WilBert »

Achiles74 wrote:Just saying because I read it last week, it would save me time having to read it for the book club.

But to increase Fisomaniac participation then would it be worthwhile choosing a sports orientated novel, the last chick flick one you choose seriously put people off this book club
The book was chosen by consensus, the nominations were voted on. Considering it was your idea to start a book club you haven't even bothered starting it. I think he only thing you've finished <deleted before the mods do but insert witty comment of your choice>

One nomination per person please.

A74 - Katie Price - Latest Autobiography.
Last edited by WilBert on 18 Apr 2014, 22:15, edited 1 time in total.

Achiles74
Dumbledore

Post by Achiles74 »

Yes well, it was a strange consensus to choose a chick flick novel for what is a largely male dominated forum.

Do FISOactually have any female members?

Perhaps in hindsight that is why only 5 members have read the last novel.

Perhaps its worthwhile including a rule not to include chick flick novels, if not then which Katie Price novel will be chosen for the next book club?

A great idea by myself, ruined by the choice of a inappropriate novel for a male dominated forum.

WilBert
Dumbledore

Post by WilBert »

I've edited your previous suggestion.

Achiles74
Dumbledore

Post by Achiles74 »

No doubt the majority of members would choose Katie Price novel over anything slightly more masculine anyway so hey whatever dude, go for it.

unc.si.
FISO Knight
FS Record: 'Loser' by Beck

Post by unc.si. »

WilBert wrote:Following on from the amazing success of March's book club where we've had at least 5 finish the book. Nominations are now open for May, noms open until Saturday 26th, voting from 26th to 30th May. This allows enough time for Vid to stock up on some optrex and match sticks.
Quite fancy reading 'Stoner' by John Williams

unc.si.
FISO Knight

Post by unc.si. »

I've actually also got 'The 100 year old man who climbed out of a window and disappeared' by Jonas Jonasson which sounds quite good but I've not got round to reading yet.

Vid
Head Moderator

Post by Vid »

Star Trek: Destiny: The Complete Saga only 850 pages, fiver for the Kindle version, should keep me amused for 3 or 4 days, 3 or 4 months for the rest of you :-)

Surprised
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: TFFOSM MotW in 2008 and MotM in 2003. 78th overall in TFFO for 2002/3 and 2003/4

Post by Surprised »

Gabriel Garcia Marquez died this week so how about "one Hundred Years of Solitude"?

Surprised
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: TFFOSM MotW in 2008 and MotM in 2003. 78th overall in TFFO for 2002/3 and 2003/4

Post by Surprised »

Achiles74 wrote:Just saying because I read it last week, it would save me time having to read it for the book club.

So you couldn't be bothered to read the last book and now say you can't be bothered to read the next

murf
FISO Viscount
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.

Post by murf »

Surprised wrote:Gabriel Garcia Marquez died this week so how about "one Hundred Years of Solitude"?
Good call (but I read it years ago....)

Surprised
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Surprised »

murf wrote:
Surprised wrote:Gabriel Garcia Marquez died this week so how about "one Hundred Years of Solitude"?

I did try and read it about 25 years ago but stopped before I finished it

bspittles
Dumbledore

Post by bspittles »

murf wrote:
Me too, but I would love to read it again :-)

bspittles
Dumbledore

Post by bspittles »

Chick flick is a film, chick lit is a book.

And although it was written by a woman and is centered around a family, I wouldn't call the book chick lit at all. Perhaps you could read the next one rather than just being a numpty?

bspittles
Dumbledore

Post by bspittles »

I nominate "Just One Damned Thing After Another" by Jodi Taylor (currently 77p on kindle). It has been published as a "real" book, but I'm not sure how easy it will be to locate (£7.82 on Amazon).

From the blurb, "Behind the seemingly innocuous façade of St Mary's, a different kind of historical research is taking place. They don't do 'time-travel' - they 'investigate major historical events in contemporary time'. Maintaining the appearance of harmless eccentrics is not always within their power - especially given their propensity for causing loud explosions when things get too quiet.

"Meet the disaster-magnets of St Mary's Institute of Historical Research as they ricochet around History. Their aim is to observe and document - to try and find the answers to many of History's unanswered questions...and not to die in the process.

"But one wrong move and History will fight back - to the death. And, as they soon discover - it's not just History they're fighting. "

I found this surprisingly funny and I subsequently purchased all the other novels in the series (they are all standalone, so there isn't a cliffhanger at the end!)

Vid
Head Moderator

Post by Vid »

bspittles wrote:I nominate "Just One Damned Thing After Another" by Jodi Taylor (currently 77p on kindle). It has been published as a "real" book, but I'm not sure how easy it will be to locate (£7.82 on Amazon).

From the blurb, "Behind the seemingly innocuous façade of St Mary's, a different kind of historical research is taking place. They don't do 'time-travel' - they 'investigate major historical events in contemporary time'. Maintaining the appearance of harmless eccentrics is not always within their power - especially given their propensity for causing loud explosions when things get too quiet.

"Meet the disaster-magnets of St Mary's Institute of Historical Research as they ricochet around History. Their aim is to observe and document - to try and find the answers to many of History's unanswered questions...and not to die in the process.

"But one wrong move and History will fight back - to the death. And, as they soon discover - it's not just History they're fighting. "

I found this surprisingly funny and I subsequently purchased all the other novels in the series (they are all standalone, so there isn't a cliffhanger at the end!)
Looks interesting, blurb reminds me of something I read long, long ago, have bought and downloaded so will read anyway.

Surprised
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Surprised »

Have we all finished the March book now?

jpk
Dumbledore

Post by jpk »

I gave up and started on the game of thrones saga. I'll report back in 2016

bspittles
Dumbledore

Post by bspittles »

Surprised wrote:Have we all finished the March book now?
Waiting for unc.si and murf, I think.

murf
FISO Viscount
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.

Post by murf »

bspittles wrote:
Surprised wrote:Have we all finished the March book now?
Waiting for unc.si and murf, I think.
Don't wait for me, I'll be finishing after jpk at this rate :oops:

unc.si.
FISO Knight

Post by unc.si. »

Similarly - don't wait for me.

Pity - enjoying it once I got past the first part, but time has been a bit tight.

Changing jobs and have had a few projects to finish off, plus I'm cycling in Belgium soon and have had to ramp up the training a bit. Combination of those things means my reading time's been eroded a bit.

I will finish it, probably not in the next week or so though.

WilBert
Dumbledore

Post by WilBert »

One's that been sitting on my shelf for years without reading is Mr Nice by Howard Marks.

Achiles74
Dumbledore

Post by Achiles74 »

Have we got a book title for May yet?

The Catman
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Winner 2013 TFC T20 wickets league; Winner 2012 F1 Fantasyracers.com. Winner Mirror FF Free League 2014/15. 6th TFC T20 runs 2016.

Post by The Catman »

unc.si. wrote:
WilBert wrote:Following on from the amazing success of March's book club where we've had at least 5 finish the book. Nominations are now open for May, noms open until Saturday 26th, voting from 26th to 30th May. This allows enough time for Vid to stock up on some optrex and match sticks.
Quite fancy reading 'Stoner' by John Williams
Not a bad book, interesting in the context of the time when it was written, but would rate it 7/10...

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Arts, Literature & Cultural Events”