To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

COVID - 19

Discussions about the coronavirus - COVID19
Surprised
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: TFFOSM MotW in 2008 and MotM in 2003. 78th overall in TFFO for 2002/3 and 2003/4

Re: COVID - 19

Post by Surprised »

If they test all 65m and those unaffected start to mix it won't take long for them to start getting infected. Are we meant to be tested daily?

murf
FISO Viscount
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.

Post by murf »

If you have had it then not only are you immune but you cannot pass it on either.

This is not 100% definite for this particular strain (has been for all other Coronavirus strains so no reason it shouldn't be) and nobody can say how long immunity lasts (most likely at least a year). Hence governments not advertising the fact.

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

Unaffected means those that have had it?

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

blahblah wrote:Unaffected means those that have had it?
Indeed. I presume immunity doesn't depend on how affected you were. Not an entymologist(?) but presume you produce antiwotsits to fight it whether it is easily fought off or gets a good hold.

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

murf wrote: 31 Mar 2020, 21:09
Indeed. I presume immunity doesn't depend on how affected you were. Not an entymologist(?) but presume you produce antiwotsits to fight it whether it is easily fought off or gets a good hold.
I think they are not saying that if you have had it you are immune as it will be carnage with the Immune demanding to be able to go Pubbing\Clubbing......

Surprised
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: TFFOSM MotW in 2008 and MotM in 2003. 78th overall in TFFO for 2002/3 and 2003/4

Post by Surprised »

blahblah wrote: 31 Mar 2020, 21:03 Unaffected means those that have had it?
I meant to type uninfected.

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

Surprised wrote: 31 Mar 2020, 21:21
blahblah wrote: 31 Mar 2020, 21:03 Unaffected means those that have had it?
I meant to type uninfected.
Which is worse than after being affected and ok....

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

blahblah wrote:
I think they are not saying that if you have had it you are immune as it will be carnage with the Immune demanding to be able to go Pubbing\Clubbing......
There is a very valid argument that you should be able to - to get the economy moving. Especially the economy of my black market sideline in genuine knock off immunity certificates (from a mush in Shepherd's Bush).

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

murf wrote: 31 Mar 2020, 21:47
blahblah wrote:
There is a very valid argument that you should be able to - to get the economy moving. Especially the economy of my black market sideline in genuine knock off immunity certificates (from a mush in Shepherd's Bush).
Yes. But the dichotomy is that we live free and zap the old:weak or try to keep all alive....

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

Give freedom to the immune only.

Would help sell my original scheme for saving the world from the virus (since approved by Dr Helmut Marko. Sort of).

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

That is my point re carnage.... The uninfected will pretend to be infected and want to be in Beer Garden in the heat of June, July etc

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

Apparently the Excel thing is for people on Ventilators only. Have we even got 40k of them to warrant the claim of how useful it is going to be?

My guess is that it will have non-ventilatored people... and this is becoming one hell of a shitshow 😐

Dot
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Dot »

Lockdown cant continue for much longer.

800,000 businesses ( and rising)are weeks from going bust and the government can't continue to support the whole country financially.

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

When is a Bail Out not a Bail Out:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-52114414

raoul
Dumbledore
FS Record: Tied for OR 1st worldwide in FPL in GW5 in 21/22 (only to then finish 1m), and ranked 1st in TFF late in season 21/22 (eventual finish 95th). Won an old game called Football Fantastic. Best Fanteam finish 117th and cashed £150. Best FPL finish 2.4K.

Post by raoul »

Big spike in cases and deaths. First thought was it's a result of increased testing but seems too soon for that effect.

Is this the arrival of the big nasty peak?

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

Those figures were for upto 5pm yesterday, so still with us undertesting so we have an artificially high death rate from those diagnosed?

unc.si.
FISO Knight
FS Record: 'Loser' by Beck

Post by unc.si. »

They're trying to ramp up testing availability. Government (here and in other countries) have contacted labs that don't currently do human diagnostics but who do have PCR equipment to request testing capacity.
Its Biosafety Level 2 testing though so not all labs can do it without more equipment and training, so not quite as easy as just providing the Covid assays. Definitely efforts to try to run more tests though.

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

unc.si. wrote:They're trying to ramp up testing availability. Government (here and in other countries) have contacted labs that don't currently do human diagnostics but who do have PCR equipment to request testing capacity.
Its Biosafety Level 2 testing though so not all labs can do it without more equipment and training, so not quite as easy as just providing the Covid assays. Definitely efforts to try to run more tests though.
I read (ano)the(r) issue was supply of the chemicals used.

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

murf wrote: 01 Apr 2020, 17:54
unc.si. wrote:They're trying to ramp up testing availability. Government (here and in other countries) have contacted labs that don't currently do human diagnostics but who do have PCR equipment to request testing capacity.
I read (ano)the(r) issue was supply of the chemicals used.
Which the Chemical. Companies have denied, and offers from clothing manufacturers to make stuff have been ignored....

unc.si.
FISO Knight
FS Record: 'Loser' by Beck

Post by unc.si. »

Testing kits (reagents and plastics) tend to be designed to only work with one manufacturers equipment. It’s the Gillette model.
Some manufacturers are issuing software updates and allowing use of other manufacturers reagents and plastics to alleviate the supply issue.

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

Apparently "up to 2/3" of those who officially count as dying of covid-19 would have been dead within a year from their "underlying health problems".

Also many, including the 19 year old who died this week, died of something else entirely or covid-19 was merely a factor (minor or otherwise).

Still horrible but less scary to the healthy.

BBC News - Coronavirus: How to understand the death toll
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-51979654

Also a good graph on there of death rates with age (without and because of virus).

Tall Paul
Dumbledore

Post by Tall Paul »

raoul wrote: 01 Apr 2020, 16:15 Big spike in cases and deaths. First thought was it's a result of increased testing but seems too soon for that effect.

Is this the arrival of the big nasty peak?
10 days since loads of people went out on mother's day weekend and 12 days since they closed the pubs and they were packed to the rafters probably has something to do with it.

Stu255
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Stu255 »

I think the timeline for the disease looks something like this.
1677EF23-D3D3-4339-996D-10AC14B29468.png

On average it’s 12 days from infection to hospitalisation and 19 days from infection to death.

On that basis we would expect a big ramp up in hospitalisation rates in the UK over the next 72 hours.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

bspittles
Dumbledore

Post by bspittles »

murf wrote: 01 Apr 2020, 22:00 Apparently "up to 2/3" of those who officially count as dying of covid-19 would have been dead within a year from their "underlying health problems".

Also many, including the 19 year old who died this week, died of something else entirely or covid-19 was merely a factor (minor or otherwise).

Still horrible but less scary to the healthy.

BBC News - Coronavirus: How to understand the death toll
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-51979654

Also a good graph on there of death rates with age (without and because of virus).
I wonder how many deaths were of people who didn’t realise they had an underlying health condition.

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

Nationally about 1 in 2000 people have the virus (confirmed).

Double that for my county

jimmy ching
Dumbledore

Post by jimmy ching »

It hasn't been like this since the Germans arrived. Papier, papier. It's starting to feel like social distancing is social engineering. It seems designed to fail.

jimmy ching
Dumbledore

Post by jimmy ching »

Just pondering whether this situation will be compared to the HG Wells War of the Worlds escapade, in the future.

Surprised
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Surprised »

How long until society breaks down?
Armed police are now protecting supermarkets as locals run out of money and food so start looting supermarkets.
https://www.thelocal.it/20200329/we-hav ... permarkets

The same may happen here in weeks.
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/0 ... s-rioting/

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

That second story touches on my worry about how solid the supply chain is for food etc. The food manufacturers still need to be working and getting all their ingredients in. Can all the food factories and producers function well enough with social distancing and dwindling workforces?

RomynPG
Dumbledore
FS Record: FPL 134 overall 06/07 ... never close since

Post by RomynPG »

My local Morrisons has that covered

Life-sized police officer cutout stationed in Morrisons to deter shoplifters

policeman.jpg

Lot of crops needing manual workers/pickers is going to be a big issue.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “COVID-19”