To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Sopranos

A forum for discussion on Movies, Radio and Television programme topics whatever your viewing and listening pleasure.
Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Re: Sopranos

Post by Zimmerman »

The Real Slim Shady wrote:But it was Tony's POV so that means he got popped .. :?:
I know that I am watching the last episode again this weekend :D

The Real Slim Shady
Dumbledore
FS Record: 1,465th in FPL 05/06

Post by The Real Slim Shady »

Ever wonder if they will bring the show primetime HBO are thinking about it in the UK would be magnificent if it was on BBC or ITV.

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

Just watched it again. While since I watched it, so some of the stories I wasn't quite up to speed with. Brilliant though.

Pauly and the cat is comedy gold.

Still not convinced he got capped.

The Real Slim Shady
Dumbledore

@UPROXX: ‘Sopranos’ Creator David Chase Has Finally Revealed If Tony Soprano Died Or Not In The Finale http://t.co/PeSwwIaTxh" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

jimmy ching
Dumbledore

Post by jimmy ching »

I've never watched the Soprano's.

Is it worth the addiction?

I haven't read the previous posts, to avoid destruction of expectation. How many hours is it? I dare not look up info on the net, in case, my mind gets corrupted.
Come on, tease me.

The Real Slim Shady
Dumbledore

86 episodes 6 seasons and the greatest ever TV show.

Hoooooo!

jimmy ching
Dumbledore

Post by jimmy ching »

I think that would take me an obsessive year to catch up :shock:

Spencer4
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: 2008/9 FPL 172nd, 2007/8 TFF 6th, Vid's Predictions winner 2014/5, Fiso TFF Hot shots champ 2015/6, murfs Egg chasers winner 2017 & 2024, winner PB's last man standing golf comp 2018

Post by Spencer4 »

IMO, best contemporary drama ever written for tv. Characterization, acting, humour, storylines, longevity, it has it all.

There are 6 series I think, spread over 8 years, the actors grow old as you watch, it goes on for ever and never slips from the brilliant.
Of course, if you are a Jane Austin fan you might not dig the violence and rich language :wink:

jimmy ching
Dumbledore

Post by jimmy ching »

That smiley isn't shocked. It's my eyes after catching up.

jimmy ching
Dumbledore

Post by jimmy ching »

Now you're starting to tempt me.

The Real Slim Shady
Dumbledore

Anybody else notice in the opening before 9/11 they showed the Twin Towers then after the attacks they removed it.

jimmy ching
Dumbledore

Post by jimmy ching »

I have introduced some French English students to few English series.
Shameless is an example.
The reason was giving the ability to understand local accents. This was why Gavin and Stacey was a must.
I regreted that. This place is full of Gavin and Stacey's now.

jimmy ching
Dumbledore

Post by jimmy ching »

I think I know the reason why I haven't watched it know. When I was younger, I kept on having nightmares. I was always stranded and trapped in the place. Why? I've no idea. Maybe it's a phobia I should conquer.

the dude abides
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Dreamteam Renault Clio Sport Winner 2010/11

Post by the dude abides »

jimmy ching wrote:I've never watched the Soprano's.

I haven't read the previous posts, to avoid destruction of expectation. How many hours is it? I dare not look up info on the net, in case, my mind gets corrupted.
Come on, tease me.
Yes, it is worth it. Breaking Bad is the only other thing i've ever watched that come close. Do yourself a favour and get addicted...

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

Zimmerman wrote:
Ralfbergs wrote:
Zimmerman wrote:SPOILER(ish)

That he/they would spend their days looking over their shoulder and sooner or later they'll either get capped or pinched.
Not really - here's the ending explained (quite a long article though, but this was the first I found - basically this is the explanation that most people agree with):
Contains MAJOR SPOILERS : http://www.denofgeek.com/tv/the-soprano ... inal-scene" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I'm still not convinced.
Meadow's parking (for me) was all about building the tension. It was all about the suggestion - the whole episode was that suggestion.

What's suggested in the linked article makes sense though and the fact there is no track does tie in with the death angle (as does the 'you don't hear it' bit (the shot, not the music)). But I always put that down (no music) to no track being suitable. The end track became its signature (but not sure it ever had any relevance to the episode). So it was a twist not to play a track. after all, which track would have been big/fitting enough?

To kill him, would have been too easy (shown or not). Instead, you got a taste of the tension, the not knowing when that inevitable time would happen.
See Slim... I'm always right :D

arsene doesn't know
Grumpy Old Man

Post by arsene doesn't know »

Am a massive fan of the 'viewer gets capped' scenario, beautiful!
jimmy ching wrote:I've never watched the Soprano's.

Come on, tease me.
Soprano's is a funny one, watched the first one and thought 'what's the fuss all about', but then without realising I was two or three seasons deep and an addict.

Get stuck into it would be my advice.

The fact this thread is continuing seven years after the last series (in the US I think) is testament to its quality.

The Real Slim Shady
Dumbledore

Funny how this thread was created 4 years after the last episode though.

It would've been much bigger than it already has been if it was airing now maybe.

jimmy ching
Dumbledore

Post by jimmy ching »

Right I'll give it ago. Thanks for the advice lads.

The Real Slim Shady
Dumbledore

New update http://bit.ly/1vnRnjZ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

tedbull
Dumbledore
FS Record: FPL 82nd 08/09

Post by tedbull »

tedbull wrote:
tedbull wrote:
If The Sopranos genuinely deserves to be spoken in the same breath (as the Wire) then it will be my next download.
Still haven't managed to watch the Sopranos. Three or four times I've tried and never been able to get past the tedium of the first two episodes.

How long is it before it gets interesting? If its season 3 as suggested above then I probably can't be bothered.

Just started Breaking Bad last night. Now that's how a show should start!
Finished rewatching the Wire and it's even better than I remember.

Thought I'd give Sopranos another try... forced myself past those first two episodes I'd struggled with so many times... gave up at Episode 12.

As far as I can tell, there's an interesting premise, but no storyline. Things happen, but it's just a collection of ideas thrown together.

Add to that, the acting isn't great. Is it supposed to be a sitcom? At one point, maybe about 5 episodes in, Tony's accent changes from American to a shocking spoof wiseguy with a speech impediment. It literally transforms in one episode.

Has it just aged badly as a forerunner of the big TV shows? Or am I missing something?

Darbyand
FISO Knight
FS Record: TFF World Cup 2014: 6th. TFF: 2020: 30th. 2022 32nd + 54th. Eggs PL 1st 2022. Tenners: 3rd 2019, 2nd 2020, 1st 2022.

Post by Darbyand »

Do you like the genre generally, Godfather, Goodfellas stuff like that?

DrBunker
FISO Knight
FS Record: FISODAS season 21 Premiership champion

Post by DrBunker »

tedbull wrote:Finished rewatching the Wire and it's even better than I remember.
:shock: I can't imagine being able to devote the time to watching a whole show again, there are just too many I've not seen yet.

I also gave up on The Sopranos FWIW, not sure how far in we made it.

tedbull
Dumbledore

Post by tedbull »

Darbyand wrote:Do you like the genre generally, Godfather, Goodfellas stuff like that?
You've just listed three of my favourite films... I'm a mafia/mob fan and will read/watch almost anything related . Taste is an individual thing, so for example I can understand people liking Game of Thrones (I'll never watch a medieval style fantasy show), but The Sopranos should tick all the boxes for me. It just seems so poor!

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

I enjoyed it.

I think at the end of the first season, it was just a case of 'yeh its ok, might as well watch some more'.... rather than being hooked or blown away.
But by the time it ALL finished, was definitely singing its praises and absolutely loved it.

Its more soap opera than a typical mob film though; the mob element is almost a distraction/side story.

In my head, its still up there as one of the best things i have watched (don't remember the acting or plots being particularly suspect).

FWIW - The Wire is THE best thing I have ever watched. Can see us re-watching that in the not too distant future.

tedbull
Dumbledore

Post by tedbull »

Zimmerman wrote:I enjoyed it.

I think at the end of the first season, it was just a case of 'yeh its ok, might as well watch some more'.... rather than being hooked or blown away.
But by the time it ALL finished, was definitely singing its praises and absolutely loved it.
You might have given me some motivation to push a bit further now... I'm so close to getting past season 1.
FWIW - The Wire is THE best thing I have ever watched. Can see us re-watching that in the not too distant future.
It's well worth going back. When you're not surprised by some of the things, you see it in a different light; just appreciate the way the show builds. First time around I thought Omar was the best character on TV... this time not so much.

Marlo though! For some reason I didn't appreciate that character first time around. Always thought the last season was weak but, even talking into account the absurdity of what McNulty is up to, it's much better than I remember.

Comfortably the best show I've seen.

Darbyand
FISO Knight
FS Record: TFF World Cup 2014: 6th. TFF: 2020: 30th. 2022 32nd + 54th. Eggs PL 1st 2022. Tenners: 3rd 2019, 2nd 2020, 1st 2022.

Post by Darbyand »

tedbull wrote:
Darbyand wrote:Do you like the genre generally, Godfather, Goodfellas stuff like that?
You've just listed three of my favourite films... I'm a mafia/mob fan and will read/watch almost anything related . Taste is an individual thing, so for example I can understand people liking Game of Thrones (I'll never watch a medieval style fantasy show), but The Sopranos should tick all the boxes for me. It just seems so poor!
Maybe it's a time thing. I think any show about crime has to pull off the balancing act of trying to make you feel some empathy for the main characters, whilst reminding you that they do abhorrent things. Can't remember series 1 but perhaps it's slow to do the former? As an example I watched a whole series of Ray Donovan before realising that while being only moderately entertained I really really disliked pretty much everyone in it. I didn't go back for another go.

There's also the Dr Melfi angle which IIRC was used to sell it when it first launched as something that differentiated it from the usual mob fare. You probably need to enjoy those segments to like it from the beginning.

As for the Wire, think we've been here before re which series were best. Series 2 and 5 were dips IMO (a lot of people on here enjoyed Series 2 which baffled me) but when it was good it was awesome.

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Movies, TV & Radio”