To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Game of Thrones - Inc Spoilers to last aired UK TV episode.

A forum for discussion on Movies, Radio and Television programme topics whatever your viewing and listening pleasure.
forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: FISODAS Champion Season 34!

Re: Game of Thrones - Inc Spoilers to last aired UK TV episode.

Post by forestfan »

Spinynorman wrote: 10 May 2019, 20:31
forestfan wrote: 10 May 2019, 19:56
Spinynorman wrote: 10 May 2019, 19:51
forestfan wrote: 10 May 2019, 18:30
Lister wrote: 10 May 2019, 18:21 The Wildlings have gone back to Castle Black, I wonder if in some twist we will see them again?
Maybe just in a Return of the Jedi-style celebration scene at the end?

Perhaps they could turn up to save the day when everything is going pear shaped after having had a change of mind.
There aren’t many left though, are there... unless Tormund finds a couple of long lost giants back up North?

Might also take them a long time to catch up although some journeys in GOT are quicker than others. :mrgreen:
They run into Hot Pie along the way, and he persuades them to go and help Arya kill Cersei? :wink:

Talkie Toaster
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Talkie Toaster »

forestfan wrote: 10 May 2019, 20:44
Spinynorman wrote: 10 May 2019, 20:31
forestfan wrote: 10 May 2019, 19:56
Spinynorman wrote: 10 May 2019, 19:51
forestfan wrote: 10 May 2019, 18:30
Lister wrote: 10 May 2019, 18:21 The Wildlings have gone back to Castle Black, I wonder if in some twist we will see them again?
Maybe just in a Return of the Jedi-style celebration scene at the end?

Perhaps they could turn up to save the day when everything is going pear shaped after having had a change of mind.
There aren’t many left though, are there... unless Tormund finds a couple of long lost giants back up North?

Might also take them a long time to catch up although some journeys in GOT are quicker than others. :mrgreen:
They run into Hot Pie along the way, and he persuades them to go and help Arya kill Cersei? :wink:
He'd tell the Wildlings that they can't fight in a battle though because they don't wear armour. :lol:
Hot Pie would do well up north with his gravy. :D

Maldini
Dumbledore

Post by Maldini »

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

Some people are getting a bit carried away with this I think. To finish the saga off was always going to have to be a bit contrived, to the extent that even the author of the original books has seemingly given up on the idea...

Maldini
Dumbledore

Post by Maldini »

I’ve no problem with the massive jumps around Westeros in the space of five minutes screen time. What I do have a major problem with is characters behaving completely out of character just to hurry the plot along.

I’ve invested too much time in it to give up now but had the first season been as poorly written as the last two seasons, I’d have packed it in there and then.

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

Which particular character shifts do you have an issue with?

I’ve found it a bit rushed at times but not sure how they could have avoided that with everything pretty much coming together in one location now. I’m not a screen writer and everyone would have their own view on how to make it better. Shame they haven’t used GRRM more in recent series but as I said, I suspect he’s run out of ideas himself.

I do hope the prequels/spin-offs, if any of them ever see the light of day, go back to the pacing and character development of the early series, rather than concentrating on maximising the spectacle, but suspect it probably won’t be the case. Maybe Westeros would be better off relocating to the big screen?

Maldini
Dumbledore

Post by Maldini »

Arya, Jamie, Bronn, Greyworm to name a few.

The fact they’re using The Hound purely for comedic grumpy vulgarity. It is funny but his character deserves more (though hopefully still to come).

The ridiculous notion that an Armada of ships couldn’t be seen from 500 feet in the air and Dany seemingly forgot about them in the first place?

It’s been akin to a Michael Bay film the past two seasons and the amount of time they devoted to story arcs such as the Sons of the Harpy and the High Sparrow seems utterly ridiculous now that the main story arc is being rushed through to the extent it is.

Ralfbergs
FISO Knight
FS Record: Murfs Premiership Predictions Knockout Cup 13/14 Winner

Post by Ralfbergs »

Can't wait to see what people will think of last episode. Seen one hour of it (1,5h long) so far and already have mixed feelings about it :D

Spinynorman
FISO Jedi Fish
FS Record: Under Ordinary

Post by Spinynorman »

Well some of that was as most would have predicted but there was plenty going on that wasn't. Some arcs ended as I thought they would but some certainly did not.

Looks like the very end will not be how I saw it many moons ago.

At the moment I think I would still have preferred the battle of a couple of episodes ago to be at the end.

Ralfbergs
FISO Knight
FS Record: Murfs Premiership Predictions Knockout Cup 13/14 Winner

Post by Ralfbergs »

Spinynorman wrote: 13 May 2019, 10:37 At the moment I think I would still have preferred the battle of a couple of episodes ago to be at the end.
Yeah, at first I thought maybe they make it so that there comes something even more epic, but what happened in this episode wasn't really epic in the battle sense, but it certainly was, hmm, impressive. Anyway, given that I was a fan of Dany in the books and so far here too, have a weird feeling when you see this episode and basically that changes.

Lister
Grumpy Old Baggie
FS Record: Won a few golf things a long time ago!!

Post by Lister »

Think that maybe the last you see of Arya an old style classic hero's exit.

Maldini
Dumbledore

Post by Maldini »

It’s gone 100% Michael Bay.

Style over substance. Such a shame.

eastcentral1
Dumbledore

Post by eastcentral1 »

In the midst of all that there was a great farewell between tyrion and Jaime.

Billy Whiz
Rhubarb Crumbledore

Post by Billy Whiz »

Maldini wrote: 13 May 2019, 23:05 It’s gone 100% Michael Bay.

Style over substance. Such a shame.
I agree about the characters. Daenerys in particular has gone through a personality transplant ever since she fell for Jon Snow (who's far too wimpy for her anyway). And tonight this previously strong and stable :wink: woman totally lost it, destroying Kings Landing like a wicked witch on a broomstick.

But you have to admire the filming and direction, which is superb, in a class of its own.

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

Fantastically made... but yes, I’m surprised at the power of that fire. It’s now enough to rip buildings apart? I know the ice dragon had that power (with the wall) but id assumed that was some reincarnated/Ice type nuance.

I’m not surprised (or disappointed) that Danaerys did it (they’ve been alluding to it the whole series). Just surprised at how it went down.

The fight scenes (Jamie and the Hound) were quite ridiculous.... but I like that the Hound ended it like he did.

Also surprised at Arya. She’s been built up to be some stealth like ultimate killing machine (almost a superhero)... to what? she’s now just a girl again (arguably she always was and never truly became a girl with no name, but she some how did manage to become a lethal killer in between). Was here any significance to the white horse? Is that something from the books?

And in true Hollywood style, we don’t quite know if Cersei is dead or not.

Maldini
Dumbledore

Post by Maldini »

The two things I enjoyed about the episode were the Jaime and Tyrion & Sandor and Arya goodbyes.

Other than than it was poor.

An hour of a dragon destroying a fleet and city on its own. Why did the Northern troops bother going?
How did Dany’s Dothraki army manage to regenerate itself?
What exactly did the Golden Company bring to the table? They were all dead in two minutes.
Why in the space of an episode did the Scorpions go from downing a dragon in 5 seconds to suddenly taking an eternity to load?

As for the Jaime v Euron debacle. I actually started laughing when Euron crawled ashore at just the exact moment Jaime was passing.
When he told us directly into camera that he was the man who’d killed Jaime Lannister, I was gone.

I never expected to get the ending I wanted but I did expect them to at least try and tie things up coherently.

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

Yes, Jaime fight was crazy/ridiculous

The timing from Euron
Jamie being stabbed (not just scratch) properly stabbed
The cliched rocky style pummelling to an inch of life and then comeback

Even the fact that 2 weeks ago, Jamie was able to fight off the army of the dead for hours... but seemingly struggled against Euron (a guy that nearly died and has had to swim to shore).

I know it’s nit picking, but it all just feels so out or keeping with the rest of the show.

It was similar for the hound’s fight, whilst I like how it ended, the beating he took was preposterous.

bluenosey
Dumblenose
FS Record: FISO Goals Champ 2018/19 & 2019/20

Post by bluenosey »

The problem we have is that the expectations had been raised to such a high level, this was bound to be a let down in some ways.

I still enjoyed it but it felt a bit rushed and I echo the above about "character arcs" - seems to be the new buzz words - they happened a bit too quickly.

Lord Varys had been a bit peripheral for the last three seasons but when he made his "Targaryen coin toss" speech you knew what was coming - that Dany would descend into mad rage. He literally got "fired" soon after

Being critcial, Dany's dragon evaded the assembled fleet with ease and yet the sister dragon was easily picked off the episode before.

Echo the comments re Jaime, he was stabbed substantially TWICE, survived and then made it back up the tunnel within the blink of an eyelid to console Cersei. That's with one arm.

What was the Hound's brother made of :?

Some good things. The emotional Tyrion Jaime scene. The beautifully filmed ending, Hiroshima-esque; Arya, blood stained and the white horse. The soundtrack again added to the atmosphere. Also, the way that we all hated Cersei and you were made to feel a certain sympathy, somehow, and angst towards Dany.

After this, you would think Dany has to go next week.

*PS That woman from Line of Duty popped up, just for good measure :o

MorrisonDullforce
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Inaugural FPL British Bulldog sidegame winner 2013/14. 2014 Fantasy Commonwealth Games Winner

Post by MorrisonDullforce »

*PS That woman from Line of Duty popped up, just for good measure :o

Yeah she was also in Chernobyl last week. I don't recall ever seeing her before and she crops up in three major shows in the space of a fortnight.

If she changed her agent, it seems to have worked.

Lister
Grumpy Old Baggie

Post by Lister »

I think with Dany they have been good, the odd little bits of rage through the seasons that were usually quelled by good advice but when push comes to shove she is daddies girl. Mad a a March hare :D

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

And yet she continues(d) to spare Tyrion.

He was her hand. Why didn’t she zap him along with Varys? He’s already seemingly lost all his cunning and intelligence... yet despite her being full of rage and lack of empathy she spares the man that has conspired against her? Doesn’t stack up.

Maldini
Dumbledore

Post by Maldini »

And why did Tyrion grass Varys up in the first place?

Did I miss something because it made no sense that he’d resign his good friend (who helped him escape Westeros) to certain death.

Tyrion who was portrayed in the early seasons as one of the most clever men in the whole of Westeros is now a bumbling idiot.

DavidLloydIsAHero
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: 2014/15 1757th FPL
Formerly David Luiz Is A Hero

Post by DavidLloydIsAHero »

I didn't have too much of a problem with the Dragon avoiding the fleet this time. Rhaegal was a) injured and b) taken completely by surprise. Drogon was fighting fit and flew straight out of the sun to start it off. Once that first assault was complete, he just had to circle and adjust altitude quickly enough to outspeed the Scorpions turning speed.
bluenosey wrote: 14 May 2019, 13:35
What was the Hound's brother made of :?
I might be wrong but I believe he is effectively reanimated after being poisoned so no pain at all. Sort of a waste for the Hound to sacrifice himself to take him down but most satisfactory.

They have rushed some of the character development but I read an article on it recently which makes a lot of sense. Nothing can ever really by tied up in a neat little bow, leaving minimal loose ends without artificially accelerating/decelerating certain characters development

https://www.scoopwhoop.com/entertainmen ... .5bx34etud

The episode was another brilliant piece of spectacle imo but I have no idea why Dany actually went mad and the fact we didn't even see her for the last half of the show didn't help. Was she enjoying it, was she conflicted, did Drogon go rogue? The first part of next week is going to need to address this and so much more for episode 5 to pay off.

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

David Luiz Is A Hero wrote: 14 May 2019, 14:13 I didn't have too much of a problem with the Dragon avoiding the fleet this time. Rhaegal was a) injured and b) taken completely by surprise. Drogon was fighting fit and flew straight out of the sun to start it off. Once that first assault was complete, he just had to circle and adjust altitude quickly enough to outspeed the Scorpions turning speed.
But this amplifies what a shambles last weeks ambush was. Fly at height see what lies ahead. Surely in an age of relying on wind power one your eyes (ie no radar or satellite) having the ability to fly high and see what lies miles ahead of you is a pretty basic strategy?

Lister
Grumpy Old Baggie

Post by Lister »

Zimmerman wrote: 14 May 2019, 14:45
David Luiz Is A Hero wrote: 14 May 2019, 14:13 I didn't have too much of a problem with the Dragon avoiding the fleet this time. Rhaegal was a) injured and b) taken completely by surprise. Drogon was fighting fit and flew straight out of the sun to start it off. Once that first assault was complete, he just had to circle and adjust altitude quickly enough to outspeed the Scorpions turning speed.
But this amplifies what a shambles last weeks ambush was. Fly at height see what lies ahead. Surely in an age of relying on wind power one your eyes (ie no radar or satellite) having the ability to fly high and see what lies miles ahead of you is a pretty basic strategy?
I don't think that scorpions had ever been on ships before so Dany would not be aware of the danger.

DavidLloydIsAHero
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: 2014/15 1757th FPL
Formerly David Luiz Is A Hero

Post by DavidLloydIsAHero »

Zimmerman wrote: 14 May 2019, 14:45
Maybe so but the Iron Fleet was tucked behind the rock formation whatever that was and they were right on Dragonstone which probably lured everyone into a false sense of security. Tactical error from someone who isn't exactly an experienced military commander is fairly believable imo.

Was Davos there? I genuinely can't remember and he would be the most knowledgeable the sea around Dragonstone and naval tactics.

Billy Whiz
Rhubarb Crumbledore

Post by Billy Whiz »

Let's not forget the Red Witch's Arya prophesy: “I see a darkness in you. And in that darkness, eyes staring back at me: brown eyes, blue eyes, green eyes. Eyes you'll shut forever.” This must mean: brown eyes = Walder Frey; blue eyes = Night King; green eyes = Cersei. So I'm guessing Cersei is not dead yet and Arya was not riding off into the sunset a la John Wayne, but heading off to find her prey.

Spinynorman
FISO Jedi Fish

Post by Spinynorman »

I wonder if their could be some sort of stand off between Jon Snow and Dany whereby she orders Drogon to scorch him and either refuses to or he survives it?

I'm presuming it really is just a bit to late for Stannis to show up? :mrgreen:

Billy Whiz
Rhubarb Crumbledore

Post by Billy Whiz »

They also have to resolve the question of Bran and his time-travelling/identity-hopping, and whether or not the whole thing has been a computer game he's been playing :wink:

Spinynorman
FISO Jedi Fish

Post by Spinynorman »

I do keep waiting for Bran to something significant rather than nothing much.

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Movies, TV & Radio”