To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Westworld

A forum for discussion on Movies, Radio and Television programme topics whatever your viewing and listening pleasure.
Kentish Womble
FISOhead

Westworld

Post by Kentish Womble »

Razorback wrote:Looking forward to catching this later in the year:

I'll definitely be giving this one a go when it starts next week. Love the original film.

jacksosi
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: TFF : 87th 06/07 ; FPL 1401st 08/09 ; 5AS champions 21/22 🔫🍸

A) New series that might be worth watching

Post by jacksosi »

Yep, looks great

...although the mrs hates sci-fi and westerns, so I'm guessing this won't be her thing

Kentish Womble
FISOhead

Re: A) New series that might be worth watching

Post by Kentish Womble »

Tell her it's not really a Western. More theme park. Think of Jurassic Park without the escaping dinos.

Beerfuelledman
FISO Knight
FS Record: FISO 17/18 FPL Cash Draft League Winner

Great TV Series

Post by Beerfuelledman »

Anyone watch the first episode of Westworld? Its being billed as the "new Game of Thrones". I guess that was to make people like me watch it. I dont see the GoT aspect at all. Like some sort of strange Robot groundhog day. bizarre. It has ANthony Hopkins in mind, so Ill likely perservere another episode or two.

Moist von Lipwig
FISO Knight
FS Record: FPL Spring 16 Winner 2010-11. Murfs F1 Predictions 2012 Winner. Pick Quick 2012-13 Winner. SP4s Predictions League A & Champions League

Re: Great TV Series

Post by Moist von Lipwig »

When it's been compared to GoT, I don't they meant quite literally - I just read it as the next big series that HBO can hang their hat on for the next 5 years.

I thoroughly enjoyed it, good idea to make it 30 years old and struggling to attract people. jeffery wright is almost always good in whatever he's in.

I think they deliberately threw a lot at you in the opener to have you think about what was going on without being able to work anything out, there's at least 4 plot threads. What Anthony Hopkins is doing, what Ed Harris (who I suspect will be the standout here) is up to or even what he is, what 'managements' ulterior aim is and what will be the main plot (I assume) the Hosts descent into self awareness. Very good way to finish the 1st episode too - although it was foreshadowed in the dialogue just beforehand.

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

Moist von Lipwig wrote: When it's been compared to GoT, I don't they meant quite literally - I just read it as the next big series that HBO can hang their hat on for the next 5 years.
Yep, the original was about a load of robot cowboys, so more Bladerunner I would guess.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Westworld

Not a bad tune, either

murf
FISO Viscount
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.

Post by murf »

Haven't watched the whole of ep1 yet, probably because it didn't have me hooked. The robots doing groundhog day isn't an ideal scenario for them to develop storylines and the stuff at the factory was all a bit dull.

I'll stick with it for now.

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

i think the GoT thrones angle is several things;

Its HBO
Its going to be big (they obviously hope)
and most significantly, its going to be violent and sexual in content.

Moist von Lipwig
FISO Knight
FS Record: FPL Spring 16 Winner 2010-11. Murfs F1 Predictions 2012 Winner. Pick Quick 2012-13 Winner. SP4s Predictions League A & Champions League

Post by Moist von Lipwig »

I almost forgot the music! Whomever came up with the idea of radiohead et al as pianola is a genius, it sounded great.

I don't think groundhog day is a set thing. They have their memory wiped at the end of the day and then they get set off next day on what ever story is programmed, it was only the time it took to get them from waking up to being in town, which is presumably just where they needed to be for their story that was 'groundhog'. After that the day was different. At this point they're just establishing how things are done.

happyhoppy
FISO Knight
FS Record: TFF 2010/2011 3rd and 2021/2022 4th=

Post by happyhoppy »

Loved Groundhog Day. Bill Murray at his best. ;)

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

Yep, the Groundhog Day thing is a red herring.

Watching the 1973 film first will help explain it better than I can, but here goes.

There are only so many robots so they need to be re-used, or brought back to life and some\all are re-programmed etc - which is where the Groundhog thing comes from.

Some\all of the robots are programmed to satisfy certain desires\requests from the holiday-makers, which is the point of the place to allow the humans to kill\shag as they wish.

In the film the robots caught a human virus type of thing which sent them a bit rogue or broke them. Unfortunately my stream crashed 2 3rd's or 3 4ters of the way through. I couldn't be bothered trying to fast forward that far through to watch the last bit as I had got enough to understand the series.

I have only watched the first half(ish) of the series and it could have potential, with Sidse Babett Knudsen (Mrs Borgen) looking to show why she was cast (rather disappointingly) in Duke of Burgundy; Hopkins and Harris being Hopkins and Harris; and it looking to more about the management and the rogue robots than the holiday bods.

So while the film was quite Fantasy Island (for those of a certain age) this could be quite political re the robots as the workers and the holiday bods as the rich....

Kentish Womble
FISOhead

Post by Kentish Womble »

Loved the first episode of Westworld. Jurassic Park meets The Terminator springs to mind. One thing that I wasn't sure of and I may have to revisit the original film is can a human kill another human in the park either accidentally or on purpose. Could a human claim that they thought that a fellow 'holiday maker' was a robot? Would that stand up in court?

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

In the film, the guns are only active for cold targets ie robots.

There is a scene in the film where the "hunk" gets the "geek" to try and shoot him...

happyhoppy
FISO Knight

Post by happyhoppy »

Watched the first Westworld and quite enjoyed it although still trying to get my head around it.

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

Scroll up :wink:

I'd recommend watching the film first as it will explain it all 1973 stylee - and it could be really good.

happyhoppy
FISO Knight

Great TV Series

Post by happyhoppy »

Yeah it's because of thee thread that I gave it a go and yeah I'm gonna watch the film, seems like a good move.

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

Episode 2 explains a lot and is like the film ie it involves the holiday maker(s). Arguably it should have been the first....

foxinthebox2001
Dumbledore
FS Record: Fiso Cricket - The Limited Overs Game winner 2014

Post by foxinthebox2001 »

Good series that Westworld.
I must first commend the choice of music coming from the pianola in the bar/whore house. Noted Soundgarden's Black Hole Sun and Radiohead No Surprises so far.
The one thing that troubles me is if they have up to 1400 guests in the park, how do they know (if it's their first visit) how to tell a guest from a host?

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

Paint it Black was good during a shoot out with a load of baddies wearing black :lol:

Robots can give out radio type signals, which humans can't. In theory this could block guns from firing and stop robots from stabbing them too - but human on human stabbings wouldn't be stopped :wink:

Tall Paul
Dumbledore

Post by Tall Paul »

Really enjoying Westworld. My new favourite thing on TV at the moment.

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

I'm still an episode behind (ep4) bug enjoying it.

Feel there's still a bit of scene setting going on.

Shaping up to be very good... Im almost scared that it's promising sooo much, they won't be able to pull it off. Hope I'm wrong.

Only slight worry is that there's a few inconsistencies (or gaps in my understanding).

For example, the dude in black that's looking for the hidden storyline; why are they letting him to roam around wreaking havoc? I know that's part of the premise, but surely there are still some limits to what is allowed?

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Re: Westworld

Post by Zimmerman »

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

Zimmerman wrote:I'm still an episode behind (ep4) but enjoying it.

Feel there's still a bit of scene setting going on.

Shaping up to be very good... Im almost scared that it's promising sooo much, they won't be able to pull it off. Hope I'm wrong.

Only slight worry is that there's a few inconsistencies (or gaps in my understanding).

For example, the dude in black that's looking for the hidden storyline; why are they letting him to roam around wreaking havoc? I know that's part of the premise, but surely there are still some limits to what is allowed?
Now caught up... and at least my question has been tackled/addressed (or at least they are aware of dude in black).

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

Think I am just one episode behind but my feelings are still as they were during episode 1 (below).
murf wrote:Haven't watched the whole of ep1 yet, probably because it didn't have me hooked. The robots doing groundhog day isn't an ideal scenario for them to develop storylines and the stuff at the factory was all a bit dull.

I'll stick with it for now.
Getting close to binning it.....

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

its doing enough to intrigue me.

At least the angry cockney dude hasn't featured much... if he plays a more significant part, id be close to jacking it in too!

One other gripe, is the fact that the tourists know they cannot be killed. So surely, takes away the entertainment value in having a gun fight!
Was good to see someone get physically smacked about though. That would make the experience more real/risky i suppose.

But as it stands, you get to sleep with robot hoars (is that preferable to a human prostitute) or shoot people that cannot shoot you back.
Well they can, and it might sting a bit.

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

.....and another thing.....

Where are all the stag dos? Would be great for that! Beats paintball and a strip club.

happyhoppy
FISO Knight

Great TV Series

Post by happyhoppy »

Watched westworld the film. Really enjoyed it. Shame the series isn't matching up to it.

About to watch last weeks now.

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

Ditto, a bit of a let down for me - especially after Episode 2 which had me hoping......

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

There is a Westworld thread - where I appear to be the only unimpressed viewer :?
Last edited by Zimmerman on 08 Nov 2016, 10:07, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: I've merged this now... so Happy Hoppy won't see it ;)

happyhoppy
FISO Knight

Westworld

Post by happyhoppy »

murf wrote:There is a Westworld thread - where I appear to be the only unimpressed viewer :?
Doesn't come up on My posts though. :wink:

Furthermore if I don't enjoy the next two episodes I won't want it in My Posts...
Last edited by happyhoppy on 08 Nov 2016, 07:42, edited 1 time in total.

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Movies, TV & Radio”