To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

BBC One Sitcom Revivals

A forum for discussion on Movies, Radio and Television programme topics whatever your viewing and listening pleasure.
Latic
FISO Knight
FS Record: Minor past glories. Back for 2021!

BBC One Sitcom Revivals

Post by Latic »

Four episodes. 2 broadcast last night, 2 this Friday.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p045jjj4

I don't think the revival of Open All Hours a few years back was worthwhile, dunno how it got two series tbh.

However, I've just watched Porridge. Really enjoyed it and thought Clement & Frenais nailed it, I hope they do a series. Not seen Are You Being Served yet.

murf
FISO Viscount
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.

Re: BBC One Sitcom Revivals

Post by murf »

Latic wrote:Four episodes. 2 broadcast last night, 2 this Friday.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p045jjj4

I don't think the revival of Open All Hours a few years back was worthwhile, dunno how it got two series tbh.

However, I've just watched Porridge. Really enjoyed it and thought Clement & Frenais nailed it, I hope they do a series. Not seen Are You Being Served yet.
Must admit I cringed massively at the idea of the remakes but..... I turned on Porridge half way through last night and surprised myself by totally enjoying it. They had really captured the spirit and soul of the show and it was genuinely funny too. The basic premise of him being Fletch's grandson, rather than someone new playing Fletch (as if) was a good shout.

Haven't seen Are You Being Served yet but think that is just a remake so hopes are low again.

I also though Open All Hours was OK. David Jason can carry something so that helped. Without him being the link it would have been cringeworthy.

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

Have now watched the revival of Are You being Served, well, to be honest I only watched the first 10 minutes or so. We both thought it was dreadful and didn't laugh once but cringed dozens of times. Avoid. May it never be recommissioned. (EDIT - my spell check is picking up recommissioned as wrong with the only option it gives being 'decommissioned' - sometimes computers are very astute.....).

Of the new sitcoms in the series (hope I have the names right)-
The Coopers v The Rest - on paper sounds very unoriginal (dysfunctional family with 3 adopted kids) but was very funny and has great potential. Watch it now.
Home From Home - Johnny Vegas and co in a lodge in the Lake District. Now this was very unoriginal! Just about worth a watch but, if it was a series, I would only give it one more chance to improve. One day Johnny Vegas will find a suitable vehicle for his talents but I don't think this is it.....

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

Was it full of gay gags and pussy references?

DrBunker
FISO Knight
FS Record: FISODAS season 21 Premiership champion

Post by DrBunker »

murf wrote:One day Johnny Vegas will find a suitable vehicle for his talents but I don't think this is it.....
I thought he found one years ago... :?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0417332/

murf
FISO Viscount

Re: RE: Re: BBC One Sitcom Revivals

Post by murf »

blahblah wrote:Was it full of gay gags and pussy references?
Not enough. Trying to do those gags and be politically correct was obviously a strain for them so you just got watered down tosh. Only advantage was they could be more honest about Mr Humphries being gay.... which again makes tge jojes weaker.

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Re: RE: Re: BBC One Sitcom Revivals

Post by blahblah »

murf wrote:
blahblah wrote:Was it full of gay gags and pussy references?
Not enough. Trying to do those gags and be politically correct was obviously a strain for them so you just got watered down tosh. Only advantage was they could be more honest about Mr Humphries being gay.... which again makes tge jojes weaker.
That's why I asked, it seemed an impossible idea...

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Movies, TV & Radio”