To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Netflix and Amazon reviews

A forum for discussion on Movies, Radio and Television programme topics whatever your viewing and listening pleasure.
jacksosi
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: TFF : 87th 06/07 ; FPL 1401st 08/09 ; 5AS champions 21/22 🔫🍸

Re: Netflix and Amazon reviews

Post by jacksosi »

DavidLloydIsAHero wrote:Just finished The Stranger on Netflix, 8 episodes plenty of twists and very watchable, presumably only the one series so a nice one to knock out quickly if you are a bit stuck.
Enjoyed this too...but not enough to feel the need to knock one out quickly over it though Image

Really enjoying Better Call Saul, into series 3 currently.

happyhoppy
FISO Knight
FS Record: TFF 2010/2011 3rd and 2021/2022 4th=

Post by happyhoppy »

jacksosi wrote:
DavidLloydIsAHero wrote:Just finished The Stranger on Netflix, 8 episodes plenty of twists and very watchable, presumably only the one series so a nice one to knock out quickly if you are a bit stuck.
Enjoyed this too...but not enough to feel the need to knock one out quickly over it though Image

Really enjoying Better Call Saul, into series 3 currently.
Oh a separate thread.

The stranger was a good watch and I can thoroughly recommend the Harlan Coben books. The twists work better in books I feel.

The writing in BCS sets it apart from any series I’ve watched it’s so good. It stands on its own two feet rather than being thought of as just a prequel to BB. That said I love seeing the BB characters being drip fed in as we move towards the BB timeline. In S5 on now we have Hank back!

But I love how we see the whys and wherefores of the slow transformation from Jimmy to Saul. It’s brilliantly done.

jacksosi
Grumpy Old Man

Post by jacksosi »

I've caught up on BCS, so now I will have to wait a week for each new episode :cry:

Tried the Witcher for something different, and it really was shocking. Terrible acting & script, terrible sets & 'monsters'...it was Dr Who level, but with swear words added in to make it adult viewing. Had to turn it off halfway through as it was so bad.

Will probably hit Westworld III next...

happyhoppy
FISO Knight

Post by happyhoppy »

Absolutely superb episode of BCS today. Wow. Love Lalo what a bad ass character he is.

Johnners
Grumpy Old Spur
FS Record: Hit and miss

Post by Johnners »

happyhoppy wrote: 14 Apr 2020, 15:39 Absolutely superb episode of BCS today. Wow. Love Lalo what a bad ass character he is.
I've seen your rave reviews on a couple of these threads recently, and you're tempting me more with each one.

As someone who loved Breaking Bad, it's probably odd that I've never given BCS a look, but, with it being a prequel, I figured there might be a lack of suspense, as Saul's future is already mapped out and we know he's never going to come to a sticky end.

Also, ever since the days of Lost, where I became hooked early on, only to feel massively let down by the ending, I've tended not to start watching shows like this until the entire run is over. Then I'll try to find some spoiler-free reviews of the finale to find out whether it'll be worth the effort, or just a load of codswallop.

Given how perfectly BB ended, I guess I shouldn't doubt the writers' ability to wrap it up neatly when the time comes, and your recent comments are now starting to make me think I should've dipped my toe in a while ago.

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

Johnners wrote: 14 Apr 2020, 22:55
happyhoppy wrote: 14 Apr 2020, 15:39 Absolutely superb episode of BCS today. Wow. Love Lalo what a bad ass character he is.
I've seen your rave reviews on a couple of these threads recently, and you're tempting me more with each one.

As someone who loved Breaking Bad, it's probably odd that I've never given BCS a look, but, with it being a prequel, I figured there might be a lack of suspense, as Saul's future is already mapped out and we know he's never going to come to a sticky end.

Also, ever since the days of Lost, where I became hooked early on, only to feel massively let down by the ending, I've tended not to start watching shows like this until the entire run is over. Then I'll try to find some spoiler-free reviews of the finale to find out whether it'll be worth the effort, or just a load of codswallop.

Given how perfectly BB ended, I guess I shouldn't doubt the writers' ability to wrap it up neatly when the time comes, and your recent comments are now starting to make me think I should've dipped my toe in a while ago.
Exactly.

Hmmm Tyler ❤❤❤ or was it Skyler?

happyhoppy
FISO Knight

Post by happyhoppy »

Johnners wrote:

I did a quick google because I didn’t really now where to start. Read this thread it’s not that long and gives you a decent feel but I will say a bit, I can’t resist lol

https://www.reddit.com/r/breakingbad/co ... call_saul/

From that Reddit I’d also say that S1 was just ok (my wife gave up after a few episodes it was too slow for her but the style is slower paced until later seasons). There are fewer characters early on but more and more BrBa characters start popping in when required to develop the story. Early season theme in the main is on Jimmy’s rocky relationship with Kim (his partner) and Chuck (his older brother) it is after all about Saul and how he became the bad ass lawyer in BrBa.

It really stands on its own two feet as a stand alone series you don’t need to have watched BrBa IMO because the characters are so well developed in this series alone.

It is slower paced though and if you listen to the podcast is done deliberately so. There’s more dialogue and less violence, for me I prefer this to BrBa. It’s so well done. S3 onwards Image

Johnners
Grumpy Old Spur

Post by Johnners »

Thanks hoppy, this is really useful.

I don't mind a slow-moving beginning if it helps to create a better story arc, especially if the characterisation and writing are still of good quality. And I'd always take a series where the episodes gradually improve over time, ahead of one with a powerful start that splutters to a limp finish.

You've convinced me! :)

happyhoppy
FISO Knight

Post by happyhoppy »

Johnners wrote:Thanks hoppy, this is really useful.

I don't mind a slow-moving beginning if it helps to create a better story arc, especially if the characterisation and writing are still of good quality. And I'd always take a series where the episodes gradually improve over time, ahead of one with a powerful start that splutters to a limp finish.

You've convinced me! :)
Trust me, you won’t believe how good it gets. Very similar to BrBa in that way.

jacksosi
Grumpy Old Man

Post by jacksosi »

I’ll second HH in his summary, I think I even took a break in S1 or S2 as it wasn’t making me want to binge, but picked it up again in a lull.

Very pleased I did, it really is a great show. Love the dual storylines (Jimmy / Mike) and do get a buzz as the BB characters start to arrive.

Edit Blah HH , 1 FT
Last edited by jacksosi on 15 Apr 2020, 15:28, edited 1 time in total.

happyhoppy
FISO Knight

Post by happyhoppy »

Blah? skyler ....

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

❤❤❤

😎

happyhoppy
FISO Knight

Post by happyhoppy »

It was short and to the point.

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: FISODAS Champion Season 34!

Post by forestfan »

Johnners wrote: 14 Apr 2020, 22:55

Well, we might know that about Saul (and Mike) but there are other characters who don’t appear in BB who we have that suspense over... last couple of episodes have been great, really up with some of the BB epics from the later series.

Interesting question about how much endings matter. Often you’ve lost interest in a series before it gets to that stage anyway, to stay good for several seasons and then land the ending perfectly is incredibly rare. A disappointing ending doesn’t ruin a great series any more than a forgettable sequel ruins a classic film.

Johnners
Grumpy Old Spur

Post by Johnners »

forestfan wrote: 19 Apr 2020, 20:08 Well, we might know that about Saul (and Mike) but there are other characters who don’t appear in BB who we have that suspense over... last couple of episodes have been great, really up with some of the BB epics from the later series.

Interesting question about how much endings matter. Often you’ve lost interest in a series before it gets to that stage anyway, to stay good for several seasons and then land the ending perfectly is incredibly rare. A disappointing ending doesn’t ruin a great series any more than a forgettable sequel ruins a classic film.
As clichéd as it is, I think any tale worth telling ought to have a good beginning, middle and end.

On that basis, I'd have to agree that a forgettable sequel won't ruin a classic film, as the original is likely to have had a fitting ending in itself. A lot of the time, sequels are only made to milk the brand dry, rather than being a necessary continuation of the original story, so a viewer can just choose to take them or leave them.

With a long-running series though, particularly one like BB, where the writer clearly has a story arc in mind, I personally think that a decent ending is still important. You're right that perfection is rare, and a writer obviously can't please everyone, but if the finale is overwhelmingly disappointing, then I find it does detract enjoyment from what's gone before, as I can't ever re-watch earlier episodes in the same light.

As for losing interest before the end, then that's arguably even worse, but a decline in quality is perhaps more symptomatic of programme makers being reluctant to sacrifice a cash cow, which only makes me admire Gilligan more for deciding to wrap up BB when he did.

Glad to see your comments on BCS, as I've already ordered the first four series on DVD, on hoppy's recommendation. Old school, I know, but I don't have Netflix. I'm sure I'll be dragged kicking and screaming into the 21st century before too long but, until that day comes, no Season 5 spoilers please. :)

happyhoppy
FISO Knight

Post by happyhoppy »

Season 5. Image

happyhoppy
FISO Knight

Post by happyhoppy »

And it’s over. best series for me. Lalo has really raised the bar in this series alongside Gus as the baddies that are so cool. But the acting and writing just superb.

And now the long wait for S6.....

jacksosi
Grumpy Old Man

Post by jacksosi »

Yep, that was an epic series, so pleased to find S6 is gonna happen.

Now back to Narcos, my other favourite, and S4...

Johnners
Grumpy Old Spur

Post by Johnners »

happyhoppy wrote: 21 Apr 2020, 20:56 And now the long wait for S6.....
Think I read somewhere that they were due to start filming the final season in September, so just hope there's no delay and the wait isn't even longer than you think.

I'm growing impatient just waiting for my DVD order to arrive, and it's only been three days!

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

Yeah, suspect it will be a while. Just keep Bob Odenkirk and Jonathan Banks wrapped in cotton wool during all of this, please...

As per Narcos reference, a bit of a nod to Escobar in the BCS series finale, but with a twist...

happyhoppy
FISO Knight

Post by happyhoppy »

Johnners wrote:
Think I read somewhere that they were due to start filming the final season in September, so just hope there's no delay and the wait isn't even longer than you think.

I'm growing impatient just waiting for my DVD order to arrive, and it's only been three days!
Jes, I’m feeling the pressure on this.

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

forestfan wrote: 22 Apr 2020, 09:21 Yeah, suspect it will be a while. Just keep Bob Odenkirk and Jonathan Banks wrapped in cotton wool during all of this, please...

As per Narcos reference, a bit of a nod to Escobar in the BCS series finale, but with a twist...
BB had a few Clinton digs. His major funder was a Chicken bod. I can't remember if he actually got sent down for drug dealing, but.....

happyhoppy
FISO Knight

Post by happyhoppy »

Johnners wrote:

Can’t remember if I’ve said this but I’ll repeat it here. I only started listening to the podcast on this series but I can’t recommend enough how worthwhile it is. BCS insider.

jacksosi
Grumpy Old Man

Post by jacksosi »

jacksosi wrote:Yep, that was an epic series, so pleased to find S6 is gonna happen.

Now back to Narcos, my other favourite, and S4...
...actually I’ve started the Irishman, but split into 4 episodes as I’d seen recommended.

Episode 1 was decent Image

Episode 1: I Heard You Paint Houses

Watch from start to 49 mins - cut when Jimmy Hoffa ends the call.

Episode 2: Hoffa

Watch from 0:49 to 1:40

Cut when Joey The Blond is introduced.

Episode 3: What Kind of Fish?

Watch from 1:40 to 2:47:30

Cut when Frank exits the house. (You'll know when.)

Episode 4: It is What It Is

Watch from 2:47:30 to the end.

Johnners
Grumpy Old Spur

Post by Johnners »

happyhoppy wrote: 22 Apr 2020, 12:50 Can’t remember if I’ve said this but I’ll repeat it here. I only started listening to the podcast on this series but I can’t recommend enough how worthwhile it is. BCS insider.
Thanks for that, I'll take a look.

The first of my DVDs arrived this morning.....

Season 2. :roll:

happyhoppy
FISO Knight

Post by happyhoppy »

Jes this is painful. Presumably cheaper to buy individually for some reason? eBay?

Johnners
Grumpy Old Spur

Post by Johnners »

Through Amazon, ironically.

Couldn't see anything other than individual series. Probably should have carried out a more comprehensive search for a box set, but my eagerness got the better of me.

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

I really hope they can get a Walt cameo into season 6...

happyhoppy
FISO Knight

Post by happyhoppy »

forestfan wrote:I really hope they can get a Walt cameo into season 6...
They said on the pods before that they won’t do it unless it adds something to the story. Hence why we had the Hank Cameo. Walt is just a school teacher until he isn’t.!

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

happyhoppy wrote: 23 Apr 2020, 14:05
forestfan wrote:I really hope they can get a Walt cameo into season 6...
They said on the pods before that they won’t do it unless it adds something to the story. Hence why we had the Hank Cameo. Walt is just a school teacher until he isn’t.!
I think some sort of incidental meeting would work, even if it’s just a car wash encounter or something!

Couldn’t be more gratuitous than Drogon’s Westworld cameo anyway :lol:

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Movies, TV & Radio”