To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Netflix and Amazon reviews

A forum for discussion on Movies, Radio and Television programme topics whatever your viewing and listening pleasure.
Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Re: Netflix and Amazon reviews

Post by Zimmerman »

Ive been working my way through OA (I think it’s been on Netflix a few years (and S2 has just come out). I’m up to the last episode of S1.

I’m quite enjoying it. Not quite sure where it’s going (and a piece of me is thinking it has hints of The Returned... good story, interesting angles - but where can they take it.

Anyway, so far so good and from the snippets I’ve heard - it wont be what I expect. So expecting a massive sucker punch in this final episode.

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

Finished OA well beyond my comfort zone and intellectual capability of understanding what is going on.
However, despite this, it is so fantastically done it has kept me interested.

The Dawn Wall a one off documentary about climbing the sheer face of El Capitan in Yosemite. A really good documentary.

Lunatics a comedy sketch show / mockumentary with some fantastic characters. Its by an Australian guy called Chris Lilley. Previously did a show called Angry Boys which i quite liked. For me he's a bit like Mark Wooton (My new best friend, Shirley Ghostman and more recently High and Dry). Its that awkward uncomfortable pushing of the boundaries.

Dirty John based on a true story (but i suspect has been over sensationalised. Its still pretty good (without being spectacular).

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

Black Mirror is back 5th June.

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

When they see us.

Fantastically made dramatisation of a true story (4 episodes).
One of those situations where you want to put your foot through the TV in disgust that it was possible.

Definitely worth a watch.

llama
Grumpy Old Man

Post by llama »

Zimmerman wrote: 28 May 2019, 15:50 Black Mirror is back 5th June.
I was a bit disappointed with this latest series to be honest. It was definitely my least favourite so far. They set such a high bar with the first two or three series - I do fear they may now be running out of ideas.

bloggie
Dumbledore
Location: Tourists swarm to see your face Confucius has a puzzling grace Disoriented you enter in unleashing

Post by bloggie »

Thought the short series was good just wasn't so hard hitting so concentrated towards a different subset of the audience while still at least worth watching by the remainder. I think there must be a lot more ideas on the overall theme of Black Mirror as it's about all the facets of life just with the tech element added.

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

llama wrote: 09 Jul 2019, 12:18
Zimmerman wrote: 28 May 2019, 15:50 Black Mirror is back 5th June.
I was a bit disappointed with this latest series to be honest. It was definitely my least favourite so far. They set such a high bar with the first two or three series - I do fear they may now be running out of ideas.
Yep, not massively impressed by them. The Facebook one was my favourite of the three... but all were a bit “meh”. Still watchable, but I wasn’t blown away.

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

Money Heist is fantastic. 10 episodes in to S1.
Some great characters, tension, intrigue, routing for the bad guys, then not... it has it all.

unc.si.
FISO Knight
FS Record: 'Loser' by Beck

Post by unc.si. »

Zimmerman wrote: 15 Jul 2019, 09:22 Money Heist is fantastic. 10 episodes in to S1.
Some great characters, tension, intrigue, routing for the bad guys, then not... it has it all.
my daughter keeps telling me to watch Money Heist so will have to give it a go

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

Started Stranger Things this week. Four episodes in and so far, so good.

Bit odd, bit sci-fi, but I’m liking it so far.

Maldini
Dumbledore

Post by Maldini »

If you’re of a certain vintage, it’s worth watching just for the 80’s pop culture references alone but I have really enjoyed all three seasons.

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: FISODAS Champion Season 34!

Post by forestfan »

Yeah, I binged all three series recently and loved it, benefits from likeable characters you quickly buy into (particularly given the fact that with a largely young cast it would be very easy to unwittingly achieve the opposite).

Not sure how much more mileage they will get out of the central concept, i.e. the “upside down” and its monsters, I think a couple more series are planned so will be interesting to see where they take it next.

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

Finished the third series of Money Heist... each one gets slightly more ridiculous and unbelievable than the previous one. But I’m still enjoying it.

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

The Spy mini series based on the true story or an Israeli spy sent to infiltrate Syria in the 60s.

Worth a watch (only 6 parts) 7/10

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

I’m currently rattling through Top Boy. Wasn’t too sure at first, but 5 episodes in and I’m liking it. It’s like a Ken Loach remake of The Wire.

Just started Mindhunter S2. I enjoy it as a show and love the insight in to the early profiling and research stuff. A tiny bit of it seems like the are spoon feeding you details in order to hurry the story along, but sometimes that’s preferable to stringing stuff out needlessly.

There’s a one off show called who am I an interesting watch for sure.

Bob Newhart
FISO Knight

Post by Bob Newhart »

Earthquake Bird. Earthquake Bored. 'nuff said.

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

Top Boy was pretty good. Sadly I only found out with 15 minutes left that I was watching S3 🤣

Netflix in their wisdom called S3, S1 (ignoring the fact that two series’ had already aired on C4 I think.

Bob Newhart
FISO Knight

Post by Bob Newhart »

The Irishman. Terrific. Something of a Scorsese's Greatest Hits package.

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

First Temptation of Christ a short comedy film (getting some adverse publicity because it portrays Jesus as being gay).

In reality this is only a tiny angle that is alluded to (albeit blatant). Overall, it’s ok. Mocks the bible a bit so avoid if you are a Christian (or other religious persuasion).

It’s Brazilian (so subtitles).

Worth a watch if you have an hour to kill and want to watch something easy.

jacksosi
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: TFF : 87th 06/07 ; FPL 1401st 08/09 ; 5AS champions 21/22 🔫🍸

Post by jacksosi »

Bob Newhart wrote:The Irishman. Terrific. Something of a Scorsese's Greatest Hits package.
That’s interesting, everyone else I have seen reviewing it found it really boring, and many even turned it off before the end.

This article suggests watching it as a 4 parter, I will probably do that Image

https://www.ladbible.com/entertainment/ ... s-20191129

jacksosi
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: TFF : 87th 06/07 ; FPL 1401st 08/09 ; 5AS champions 21/22 🔫🍸

Post by jacksosi »

Zimmerman wrote:First Temptation of Christ a short comedy film (getting some adverse publicity because it portrays Jesus as being gay).

In reality this is only a tiny angle that is alluded to (albeit blatant). Overall, it’s ok. Mocks the bible a bit so avoid if you are a Christian (or other religious persuasion).

It’s Brazilian (so subtitles).

Worth a watch if you have an hour to kill and want to watch something easy.
He’s not the Messiah (he's a very naughty boy)...

Have added this to my list, cheers

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: FISODAS Champion Season 34!

Post by forestfan »

jacksosi wrote: 19 Dec 2019, 07:53
Bob Newhart wrote:The Irishman. Terrific. Something of a Scorsese's Greatest Hits package.
That’s interesting, everyone else I have seen reviewing it found it really boring, and many even turned it off before the end.

While I watch hour-per-episode box sets all the time, it still feels wrong to watch an actual movie in instalments, for some reason... :?

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

Currently half way through a 3 part documentary called “dont %#^* with cats”.

So far so good. Crackers. Surprised I haven’t heard anything about the subject matter... so questioning if it is what it appears. Will know by the end I suppose (dont want to google the subject in case of spoilers).

Bob Newhart
FISO Knight

Post by Bob Newhart »

I quite enjoyed it in two parts over consecutive evenings. To be fair, it lacks lightsabers, mindless action every 15 minutes, cute Christmas songs and Dwayne Johnson, but it worked fine for me. Must be because I'm getting old or something...

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

Two Popes true story based on the last couple of popes. Reasonably interestingly, undoubtedly carried by Hoskins and High Sparrow (from Game of Thrones) 7/10

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

The Marriage my usual somber affair :) fantastically acted, almost like a fly on the wall. Charts the highs and lows of a divorce and is pretty sad (with glimpses of humour). 8/10

jimmy ching
Dumbledore

Post by jimmy ching »

Bob Newhart wrote: 19 Dec 2019, 22:10

I quite enjoyed it in two parts over consecutive evenings. To be fair, it lacks lightsabers, mindless action every 15 minutes, cute Christmas songs and Dwayne Johnson, but it worked fine for me. Must be because I'm getting old or something...
I started watching it and stopped half way through. Got distracted. It seemed ok so may return to finish it off but I won't do it in a rush.

Bob Newhart
FISO Knight

Post by Bob Newhart »

jimmy ching wrote: 28 Jan 2020, 11:06
Bob Newhart wrote: 19 Dec 2019, 22:10

I started watching it and stopped half way through. Got distracted. It seemed ok so may return to finish it off but I won't do it in a rush.
It's one that can be watched in parts like a short mini-series. Doesn't hurt it to do it that way.

DavidLloydIsAHero
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: 2014/15 1757th FPL
Formerly David Luiz Is A Hero

Post by DavidLloydIsAHero »

Just finished The Stranger on Netflix, 8 episodes plenty of twists and very watchable, presumably only the one series so a nice one to knock out quickly if you are a bit stuck.

Billy Whiz
Rhubarb Crumbledore

Post by Billy Whiz »

The English Game, a dramatised history of how football got started in the 19th century, is on Netflix from March 20

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Movies, TV & Radio”