To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Game of Thrones - Inc Spoilers to last aired UK TV episode.

A forum for discussion on Movies, Radio and Television programme topics whatever your viewing and listening pleasure.
forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: FISODAS Champion Season 34!

Re: Game of Thrones - Inc Spoilers to last aired UK TV episode.

Post by forestfan »

Surprised we didn't see Lord Tarly going apeshit at the disappearance of his priceless sword... would have thought he would send his bannermen to the Maesters' place to recover it before going to support Cersei's cause!

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

WOW!!!

This is all too much :)

Anyone remember where the dagger came from (or who's it was)?

Beerfuelledman
FISO Knight
FS Record: FISO 17/18 FPL Cash Draft League Winner

Post by Beerfuelledman »

After Jaime pushed Bran out of the Tower in season one, an Assassin was sent to kill Bran. When Catelyn went to Kings Landing to find out who sent him Littlefinger said the Dagger was his but he lost it in a bet to Tyrion.

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

Yeah, can't remember if it was all just part of Littlefinger's scheme to set everyone against each other, or if the Lannisters/Joffrey were in on it? If it was all down to LF then how would he have known how Bran's fall came about and that the Lannisters didn't want him to survive to tell what he saw? :?

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

Yes I read up on it last night.
The dagger was littlefinger's
He claimed he'd lost it to Tyrian a few nights before the assassination attempt.

All part of a master plan to set the Lannister's against the Stark's.

LOVED Bran quoting Littlefinger's 'ladder of chaos' phrase. He absolutely shit himself.

Whilst Bran has gone all cold and aloof he's now incredibly powerful and potentially knows everything now.

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

Still really loving it... but you can tell it's no longer being written by Martin and we're more on a Hollywood stylee trajectory.

7 or 8 of them fighting an entire army of dead people?
Was almost a battle of the bustards rerun at one stage.
Then there's the now oft-used teleporting facility that we seem to be seeing a lot of.
The heroic is he dead/no he's not come back (a la Jamie going in to the water in a full suit of armour and swimming about a mile underneath).
Uncle Benjen coming in at the right second (again)

Wearing a little thin now (appreciate given I'm watching a program about 3 eyed ravens, dragons and zombies seems a shallow grumble)!

Enough of the moans;

SPOILERS

What an episode.
Does a massive dead dragon give them a means of getting over the wall?

Are Tyrian and Danaerys really going to meet Cersei?
You'd trust her less than anyone wouldn't you?

Will Danaerys marry Jon?
Saves him bending the knee
Legitimises her claim to the throne by marrying a westerosian (even though it's perhaps Jons throne)...
Targaryans are happy 'keeping it in the family'

Seems to tick a lot of boxes.

Assuming they get as far as Kings Landing.

Do we know who the night king 'was' he seems to have a eye for Jon whenever they have met.

From memory, the children of the forest created the wight walkers? Was that the bit about plunging dragonglass in to a mans heart (or was that just benjen)?

jpk
Dumbledore

Post by jpk »

i flippantly presumed that because Jon's mission to catch a zombie was so utterly stupid and it played right into the White walkers plans so they now have air power, that he must be on the zombie's side, and then thinking some more, he is actually (un)dead and with that lens, these motives would help explain some of the ridiculous plotting this season

Probably just bollocks though and it is actually just plain daft

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

It has lost that surprise factor of the first 3 or 4 seasons when you didn't know which main characters were dispensible and which ones were in it for the long haul, whereas now you know the Bond/Indiana Jones etc. style escapes for the (anti-) heroes are going to happen, as they want them all present for the final series. I still expect the eventual climax will be bittersweet at best though, they won't go for the Hollywood ending (and I expect it will be near impossible for us to avoid spoilers for the next 18 months or so...)

It's been spectacular and cinematic at times this series but a bit rushed and they could easily have made it into 10 episodes. The "teleporting" is just down to cutting out the journey parts on screen which were a major part of character development in earlier series, although the raven did appear to have travelled at Concorde speed last night...

foxinthebox2001
Dumbledore
FS Record: Fiso Cricket - The Limited Overs Game winner 2014

Post by foxinthebox2001 »

Okay, the blue eyed northerners now have a dragon, but little more than a glorified spiky mascot unless one of them can find their voice, and is fluent in Valerian, and knows the magic word "dracarys".

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

Well seemingly, they communicate via telepathy anyway so they have that covered off.

Mav3rick
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: FPL: 1082, 1201, 1800, 10203

The stats are dark and full of errors.

Post by Mav3rick »

It's an ice breathing dragon though, right?

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

Mav3rick wrote: 23 Aug 2017, 15:17 It's an ice breathing dragon though, right?
Presumably...

Bran was prophesied to "fly" by the original Three-Eyed Raven... so he must warg into a dragon at some point? He's done sod all this season so it's overdue...

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

The flying could have referred to his time travelling.

The obvious assumption was that he'd warg in to a dragon (I called it ages ago).

Arguably he flew a couple of episodes ago as the crow?

Read an interesting theory today, that Bran is the night King

Beerfuelledman
FISO Knight
FS Record: FISO 17/18 FPL Cash Draft League Winner

Post by Beerfuelledman »

Arch Stanton
FISOhead

Post by Arch Stanton »

I was really disappointed with the way they handled Little Finger, he turned out to be a real dead end. I mean, I was glad he got his comeuppance but for the whole season it seems like he has been doing nothing more than hanging around waiting to get killed. A bit of a damp squib.

Actually, the whole thing seems either rushed and or unfinished. In the last episode when they went hunting for a walker to take back to Cersei there was no sense they had been trapped and surrounded by the army of the dead for a long period of time other than the ice refreezing and the Hound getting bored. The scene with Gendry running as fast as his little legs could carry him, the sending of the Raven and then Daenerys riding the dragon back to save them seemed really condensed to the point of being cartoonish. In past seasons it would have been spaced out with things that were going on in Westros to give a sense that time had passed.

The same with Jorah Mormont, he got the scales cut off and he was up and about in no time, none the worse for wear with very little recovery even though it was a serious, dangerous and what looked like a painful procedure.

I love GOT and i don't want it to be slow and boring but there were too many things that have been rushed.

That is in contrast to the previous season were they took ages on things that could have been dealt with quickly such as Arya and the Faceless Men (encompassing the pointless acting troupe storyline) , which has been done a million times before and much more effectively in things The 36th Chamber of Shaolin and even The Karate Kid.

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

I'm the same. Still loving it... but it's all gone a bit Hollywood this series.

I really hope it's all rapped up in the next series before it becomes a farce.

All the back story has given sufficient storyline to compensate for the Hollywoodisation of it all.

I actually enjoyed the Little Finger ending.
I was half expecting him to be there at the very bitter end of the whole thing.

Didn't see it coming in this episode (was too busy shouting abuse at the screen for him and Sansa). I didn't even suss anything was afoot when Bran had rocked up too.

Arch Stanton
FISOhead

Post by Arch Stanton »

Zimmerman wrote: 28 Aug 2017, 21:39 Didn't see it coming in this episode (was too busy shouting abuse at the screen for him and Sansa). I didn't even suss anything was afoot when Bran had rocked up too.
I actually thought you would be the one person who would see it coming because you wrote this.
Zimmerman wrote: 08 Aug 2017, 06:51 LOVED Bran quoting Littlefinger's 'ladder of chaos' phrase. He absolutely shit himself.

Whilst Bran has gone all cold and aloof he's now incredibly powerful and potentially knows everything now.
When I saw Bran sitting at the table, I thought the game was up for Little Finger because of what you wrote.

As far as Little Finger goes I think I am just disappointed they didn't give him more to do this season. I would have preferred it if he had gone out with a bang. I thought he was a great Machiavellian character, I saw him as a Peter Mandelson type of figure, a power behind the scenes who could weather any storm.

I enjoyed the Ramsey Bolton coming unstuck far more.

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

I had a feeling one of those three (Arya, Sansa and Littlefinger) was going to be the major casualty of this episode... he was long overdue his luck running out but given the way he had found a way out of everything before I sort of wondered if he would stick around and play everyone off against each other until he was the only one left standing!

So all the Stark, Lannister and Targaryen characters make it into Season 8. I think having a defined ending is the right thing, as otherwise it could just have ended up drifting on until it ran out of steam, with soap-like recycling of storylines. And presumably the ending will be roughly what is planned for the book series, even if the TV series has seemingly diverged more and more from the source material it has overtaken.

happyhoppy
FISO Knight
FS Record: TFF 2010/2011 3rd and 2021/2022 4th=

Post by happyhoppy »

Totally agree with these comments. It has all seemed a bit rushed don't know why just the 7 episodes they could have done the storylines much more justice with double. That said I still loved it and that's from someone who really struggled through the first 2/3 series.

foxinthebox2001
Dumbledore
FS Record: Fiso Cricket - The Limited Overs Game winner 2014

Post by foxinthebox2001 »

King Jon, and his auntie Queen Daenerys having a romp, royal inbreeding? whatever next?

bluenosey
Dumblenose
FS Record: FISO Goals Champ 2018/19 & 2019/20

Post by bluenosey »

I've really enjoyed this season.

In past seasons there's been quite a few padded out episodes, whereas this one has been action all the way.

Not sure I can last out two years before the final series :?

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

bluenosey wrote: 30 Aug 2017, 21:24 I've really enjoyed this season.

In past seasons there's been quite a few padded out episodes, whereas this one has been action all the way.

Well, if it is a 2019 release date I guess it will be earlier in the year than this one was, so hopefully no more than 18 months anyway. Filming starts this October I believe.

bluenosey
Dumblenose
FS Record: FISO Goals Champ 2018/19 & 2019/20

Post by bluenosey »

forestfan wrote: 30 Aug 2017, 21:27

Well, if it is a 2019 release date I guess it will be earlier in the year than this one was, so hopefully no more than 18 months anyway. Filming starts this October I believe.
That's if they get enough snow in Iceland.

If one of my "little birds" bumps into Sansa in The Duke in Leamington, I'll get the low down for ya :wink:

Spinynorman
FISO Jedi Fish
FS Record: Under Ordinary

Post by Spinynorman »

I'm up to date now.

Really enjoyed this once again. I can see what people mean about the pacing and the "Hollywood" stuff but I did feel that in the past it could get a bit ponderous although the extra detail was often useful and the teleporting could have been done better. Maybe they will get it spot on for the final series.

With GOT we always like the surprise elements and for me the dead dragon being taken over and the Lord Baelish "trial" were good ones.

The thing ended up with some unlikely alliances and there were groups of characters mooching about with each other that would have seemed very unlikely a few series ago.

Seeing how things develop with Jamie riding off could be interesting and Cersei remains for me one of the more nasty, evil and easily dislikeable characters on telly. (in a good way)

I wonder how long it will take for the army of the dead to be engaged as they had been walking towards the wall for at least 4 series.

happyhoppy
FISO Knight
FS Record: TFF 2010/2011 3rd and 2021/2022 4th=

Post by happyhoppy »

Spinynorman wrote: 11 Sep 2017, 08:35 I wonder how long it will take for the army of the dead to be engaged as they had been walking towards the wall for at least 4 series[/b].
And they nipped out to take a white walker in no time lol

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

One theory doing the rounds, is that it's been their plan (the White Walkers). They turned up for the rumble with dragon killing spears after all (and they knew they could breach the wall due to the magic in it).

Another theory is that Bran might actually be the Knight King :shock:

Spinynorman
FISO Jedi Fish
FS Record: Under Ordinary

Post by Spinynorman »

Maybe Jon being a Targaryen and having once died will be able to bond with the zombie dragon and bring it to heel. :P

asm_fanz
Grumpy Old Frog

Post by asm_fanz »

Zimmerman wrote: 11 Sep 2017, 09:46 One theory doing the rounds, is that it's been their plan (the White Walkers). They turned up for the rumble with dragon killing spears after all (and they knew they could breach the wall due to the magic in it).
Well it makes sense when you think about it. It would have been very hard for the army of the dead to go past the wall without a dragon. I think they would have eventually, but not without losing a large chunk of their forces IMO. The Night King must have some sort of psychic powers (like Bran...) and he surely has a few tricks up his sleeve.

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

bluenosey wrote: 30 Aug 2017, 21:43
forestfan wrote: 30 Aug 2017, 21:27

That's if they get enough snow in Iceland.

If one of my "little birds" bumps into Sansa in The Duke in Leamington, I'll get the low down for ya :wink:
Bran's apparently at Birmingham Uni now... House Stark appears to be invading the Midlands! They might find Wolves here I guess :wink:

(would have said "dire Wolves" were they not top of the Championship)

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

Winter is coming... in spring! Season 8 now confirmed for April release.

Reports all six episodes will be over an hour in runtime, hopefully the finale at least will be feature length.

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Movies, TV & Radio”