To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Locking player from your rivals

FPL Draft format starting in 2017/18
Finisher1
Dumbledore

Locking player from your rivals

Post by Finisher1 »

I'm not sure if this has been already covered here, but I just invented it myself.

So it seems that once you get a certain player by waiver and then transfer him out as a free agent, then he is locked from everyone until the next waiver process. So, if you know your rivals will be trying to get this player while you don't want him yourself, then you can try to get him by waiver and then immediately transfer him out - hence locking him from others until the next waiver process.

Is this correct?

bloggie
Dumbledore
Location: Tourists swarm to see your face Confucius has a puzzling grace Disoriented you enter in unleashing

Re: Locking player from your rivals

Post by bloggie »

Sounds like a 'cunning plan Baldrick' that could work in theory. I'm leading my two leagues where the others have probably stopped playing so don't have to resort to such tactics.

Tacalabala
FISO Knight

Post by Tacalabala »

But you have to bring someone else on a FA and you won't be able to bring back the one you traded out for a waiver. It's robbing Peter to pay Paul.

Finisher1
Dumbledore

Post by Finisher1 »

Tacalabala wrote: 27 Nov 2017, 19:19 But you have to bring someone else on a FA and you won't be able to bring back the one you traded out for a waiver. It's robbing Peter to pay Paul.
You will always have someone that you definitely want to transfer out, and most of times there will be some under-the-radar pick that you will want to bring in (and who is usually available in FA because he is under-the-radar).

Talkie Toaster
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Talkie Toaster »

I can remember discussing something similar to this back in the summer before the final rules had been published and we were unsure how the whole free agency and waivers process was going to work. Back then the thinking was that the waiver pool would only contain a small number of players and everyone else was a free agent, so with unlimited transfers you could get in as soon as free-agency opened and transfer players into the same slot in your squad multiple times locking a whole raft of them from everyone else.

This tactic was effectively negated though once it became apparant that all players are available during waivers so everyone gets a chance to pick the best players before free-agency opens.

Your idea still works in theory for a single player, provided you are in a low position in the league to get an early waiver pick. However in practice, with the strength of typical draft squads, I think you'll usually find that if there's a decent player available that's clearly wanted by someone else, then you'll probably be wanting them for your squad anyway.

MoSe
Dumbledore
FS Record: FISODAS CUP Winner Season 25
FISO H2H Winner: 15/16 Div2 - 16/17 Div1
FISO Mirror: 16/17 PL Winner

Post by MoSe »

Talkie Toaster wrote: 27 Nov 2017, 23:39 I can remember discussing something similar to this back in the summer before the final rules had been published and we were unsure how the whole free agency and waivers process was going to work.
I think it was in a topic you started viewtopic.php?f=376&t=124803
beginning with this post of yours viewtopic.php?p=3067998#p3067998

Finisher1
Dumbledore

Post by Finisher1 »

Talkie Toaster wrote: 27 Nov 2017, 23:39 Back then the thinking was that the waiver pool would only contain a small number of players and everyone else was a free agent, so with unlimited transfers you could get in as soon as free-agency opened and transfer players into the same slot in your squad multiple times locking a whole raft of them from everyone else.
This is a good point as well. So basically if you have a useless bench player in your team and you notice there is a free agent available that would strengthen your rival's squad but not your squad. Then you can just transfer him in and out in order to lock him from everyone.

Also if you think you have the best team in your league, then you can effectively shut down the free agent market by swapping in and out every available player. No one can do free agent transfers anymore if you decide so.

Are we now breaking some sort of unspoken code and moving into a grey area which is not considered fair play anymore? :lol:

Talkie Toaster
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Talkie Toaster »

MoSe wrote: 28 Nov 2017, 11:10
Talkie Toaster wrote: 27 Nov 2017, 23:39 I can remember discussing something similar to this back in the summer before the final rules had been published and we were unsure how the whole free agency and waivers process was going to work.
I think it was in a topic you started viewtopic.php?f=376&t=124803
beginning with this post of yours viewtopic.php?p=3067998#p3067998

Thanks MoSe. I'm glad one of us is paying attention! :D
I was suggesting it as a possible disruptive loophole and counter strategy to people streaming defenders.

Finisher1 wrote: Also if you think you have the best team in your league, then you can effectively shut down the free agent market by swapping in and out every available player. No one can do free agent transfers anymore if you decide so.

Are we now breaking some sort of unspoken code and moving into a grey area which is not considered fair play anymore? :lol:

I don't think so, because of the priority given to waivers free-agency is usually little more than a mopping up exercise. So by locking all the free agents you are only really locking players that everyone has already passed on.

The most likely opportunity to use the waiver blocking tactic might be for a crucial H2H or cup match where trying to disrupt an opponent's plans for a single player for a single week might make sense.

OIEIAO
FISOhead

Post by OIEIAO »

If a lesser team with lots of free players had an outstanding dgw 37 you could waiver in as many of their players as possible and then dump any that you didn't really want?

It's hard to think of many times I would not want that player and be willing to ditch a squad player to make that happen and it would significantly block a rival.

Maybe if you play a very different formation to rivals. If you play 5-4-1 you could keep wavering in striker targets of others and then ditching them.

thebillfella
FISO Knight
FS Record: 6th FPL 19/20; 1st TFF StartXI 14/15; 8th TFFE11; 18th TFFE12; 1st FISO TFFE11&12; 1st FISO Full Draft 12/13,14/15,19/20,20/21; 1st Block14/15; 1st 5ASChampLge 12/13; 1st TFF Super614/15; 1st Spring17; 1st FISO Div Premx6, Cup, Mirror,Prem&H2H Champ 19/20

Post by thebillfella »

How very un-British this tactic is - win the league on the merits of your own judgement rather than snide technicalities is what I say!

OIEIAO
FISOhead

Post by OIEIAO »

This week (blank GW31 for anyone reading this in future) in my draft league of 10 teams, I had Karius and Pickford of the 8 likely playing keepers.

I waivered Pickford to Pope knowing that nobody else can buy Pickford this week to get ready for future promising weeks (and might change this slot again before too long). I suppose someone with Karius and an unwanted keeper could have waivered in Pickford had everyone else been unable to do so, or having forgotten, and then ditched him assuming Karius will play anyway. But I guess anyone else could have countered that by being ready with their waivers OR forcing me to use my first pick to "beat" them.

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “FPL Draft”