To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

New feature for FPL being released..draft league?

FPL Draft format starting in 2017/18
DAREEL
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Winner of FISO McDonald's Euro 2016 official . league. FPL player since the game began. Successful cash mini league player that usually ends up in profit

New feature for FPL being released..draft league?

Post by DAREEL »

http://www.101greatgoals.com/news/fanta ... -20172018/

Would anyone Play this if it was?

Personally I would like to see the Ultimate game back but it's confirmed that it isn't coming back.

S_sutton87
Grumpy Old Man

Re: New feature for FPL being released..draft league?

Post by S_sutton87 »

Could be interesting would definitely play it

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

fred1266
Dumbledore
FS Record: EFCL Fantasy League & Jurassic League Winner 11/12, EFCL Fantasy League Winner 13/14. EFCL, FISO 5AS The Kangals, Jurassic League, 3DM PRINTERS TT & Trini Gunners Winner 14/15

Post by fred1266 »

sounds interesting

MoSe
Dumbledore
FS Record: FISODAS CUP Winner Season 25
FISO H2H Winner: 15/16 Div2 - 16/17 Div1
FISO Mirror: 16/17 PL Winner

Post by MoSe »

other interesting bit:
By Ben Green on Monday, June 12, 2017
The fixtures for the new season are released in just two days time.
That is, tomorrow June 14

also
DAREEL wrote:...Ultimate [...] it's confirmed that it isn't coming back.
:?
Ben Green wrote:...after some pretty serious overhauls to FPL over the past year and the demise of their 25-man Ultimate Team game...
it might be my language barrier,
but I read there simply the author's "report" of what happened last season, not an "official" declaration that Utimate is never coming back.
True, had it been coming back this season we'd have sees some FPL ads and heads-up about it, so I agree it's very unlikely it's gonna happen.
...and two seasons dead might well mean it's dead for good
___

even about FPL Draft Leagues, as of now it's just "rumours"
There are now serious rumours doing the rounds that the new FPL feature is a draft fantasy league.
And, that the Premier League have been planning this draft league for at least two years now.
DAREEL wrote:Would anyone Play this if it was?
the subject came up two seasons ago (and maybe even before, but I wasn't here ;) [*][/color][/b])
the mods moved the topic to "FISO Forum Community Games & Competitions" (not even to "Other Fantasy Football games " :o )
viewtopic.php?f=32&t=116682
there were about 10 players interested, and indeed ctibbits being a US fantasy player brought it up, as that's the preferred style there
as you see in the first posts there
MoSe wrote:That [Draft Leagues] was the original concept Fantasy Football was born with in 1990 in Italy
And, Ralfbergs actually used to play FPL "draft style" in his friends league Sport Billy offered to set up a Draft League in Fantrax Sports
I thought it's an excellent site, but it's focused on american sports management concepts, and for all the efforts to replicate it, I found in the end the rules were too much different from the FPL ones I was used to.
True, FPL isn't the only FF game around, it was like playing FPL and TFF and SDT at the same time, sure there might be someone who does, but it was too much for me and I'm sorry for the others but I went AWOL after few gws :oops:

I would definitely give it a go if it's something consistent with FPL and maybe integrated in it...
Of course it would have a completely different feeling, as you would only compare with the few teams in your Draft League(s) and no one else.
The intial draft phase surely adds fun to it. The risk is that the interest fades away quicker, as it's much harder to amend a wrong squad...

Billy Bongo
FISO Knight

Post by Billy Bongo »

I hate draft leagues

Sent from mobile

DAREEL
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Winner of FISO McDonald's Euro 2016 official . league. FPL player since the game began. Successful cash mini league player that usually ends up in profit

Post by DAREEL »

MoSe wrote:
other interesting bit:
By Ben Green on Monday, June 12, 2017
The fixtures for the new season are released in just two days time.
That is, tomorrow June 14

also
DAREEL wrote:...Ultimate [...] it's confirmed that it isn't coming back.
:?
Ben Green wrote:...after some pretty serious overhauls to FPL over the past year and the demise of their 25-man Ultimate Team game...
it might be my language barrier,
but I read there simply the author's "report" of what happened last season, not an "official" declaration that Utimate is never coming back.
True, had it been coming back this season we'd have sees some FPL ads and heads-up about it, so I agree it's very unlikely it's gonna happen.
...and two seasons dead might well mean it's dead for good
___

even about FPL Draft Leagues, as of now it's just "rumours"
There are now serious rumours doing the rounds that the new FPL feature is a draft fantasy league.
And, that the Premier League have been planning this draft league for at least two years now.
DAREEL wrote:Would anyone Play this if it was?
the subject came up two seasons ago (and maybe even before, but I wasn't here ;) [*][/color][/b])
the mods moved the topic to "FISO Forum Community Games & Competitions" (not even to "Other Fantasy Football games " :o )
there were about 10 players interested, and indeed ctibbits being a US fantasy player brought it up, as that's the preferred style there
as you see in the first posts there
MoSe wrote:That [Draft Leagues] was the original concept Fantasy Football was born with in 1990 in Italy
And, Ralfbergs actually used to play FPL "draft style" in his friends league Sport Billy offered to set up a Draft League in Fantrax Sports
I thought it's an excellent site, but it's focused on american sports management concepts, and for all the efforts to replicate it, I found in the end the rules were too much different from the FPL ones I was used to.
True, FPL isn't the only FF game around, it was like playing FPL and TFF and SDT at the same time, sure there might be someone who does, but it was too much for me and I'm sorry for the others but I went AWOL after few gws :oops:

I would definitely give it a go if it's something consistent with FPL and maybe integrated in it...
Of course it would have a completely different feeling, as you would only compare with the few teams in your Draft League(s) and no one else.
The intial draft phase surely adds fun to it. The risk is that the interest fades away quicker, as it's much harder to amend a wrong squad...

Hi mate

Apparently Mark Rogers 'ITK for FPL'confirmed that UFPL is definately NOT coming back this season.

I too would give it a go but I mainly focus on cash leagues and not sure this would work as one. So like yourself I usually last about 2 weeks and end up forgetting about it.

gallus
Grumpy Old Man

Post by gallus »

Draft fanatsy sports games are the best. I'd definitely play it. Fantasy NBA draft night is one my favorite nights of the year. :D
Last edited by gallus on 13 Jun 2017, 12:06, edited 1 time in total.

S_sutton87
Grumpy Old Man

Re: RE: Re: New feature for FPL being released..draft league?

Post by S_sutton87 »

gallus wrote:Draft fanatsy sports games are the best. I'd definitely play it.
Do you know any other draft based football games would like to give a draft version a go

gallus
Grumpy Old Man

Post by gallus »

S_sutton87 wrote:
gallus wrote:Draft fanatsy sports games are the best. I'd definitely play it.
Do you know any other draft based football games would like to give a draft version a go

No, I play draft based fantasy NBA. It's an auction draft, every manager has the same budget and then you bid on players. The only rule is that you must have exactly 12 players at the end of the draft.

dino1980
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: FPL Best, 1,000th 2014-15.

Post by dino1980 »

I've played one for the past two years and for anyone used to FPL it's great as the scoring system is exactly the same apart from a) no bonus points and b) no captain. You can choose to have a straight draft or an auction style draft.

You can have up to 16 teams in a league but my advice would be to cap it at ~10 players as otherwise there simply won't be enough free agents and transfer dealings throughout the season to keep the league interesting. They also have classic and H2H league options.

I don't want to post the link but if you google 'draft fantasy football UK' you'll find it. ;-)

S_sutton87
Grumpy Old Man

Post by S_sutton87 »

dino1980 wrote:I've played one for the past two years and for anyone used to FPL it's great as the scoring system is exactly the same apart from a) no bonus points and b) no captain. You can choose to have a straight draft or an auction style draft.

You can have up to 16 teams in a league but my advice would be to cap it at ~10 players as otherwise there simply won't be enough free agents and transfer dealings throughout the season to keep the league interesting. They also have classic and H2H league options.

I don't want to post the link but if you google 'draft fantasy football UK' you'll find it. ;-)
Lol I'll give it a look

gallus
Grumpy Old Man

Post by gallus »

dino1980 wrote:I've played one for the past two years and for anyone used to FPL it's great as the scoring system is exactly the same apart from a) no bonus points and b) no captain. You can choose to have a straight draft or an auction style draft.

Awesome, I'll be playing this next year if FPL don't add a draft league feature.

S_sutton87
Grumpy Old Man

Post by S_sutton87 »

gallus wrote:

Awesome, I'll be playing this next year if FPL don't add a draft league feature.
Is there not a forum on fiso for this if not does anyone know how to set one up I'll definitely be giving this a go

MoSe
Dumbledore

Post by MoSe »

dino1980 wrote:I don't want to post the link but if you google 'draft fantasy football UK' you'll find it. ;-)
you mean, different from the one provided in the article DAREEL posted in the OP?
What is the new FPL feature?
There are now serious rumours doing the rounds that the new FPL feature is a draft fantasy league <check active link in the article>.
I googled 'draft fantasy football UK' indeed, and found a handful sites, first one being that linked one

gallus
Grumpy Old Man

Post by gallus »

Actually now that I think about it a draft league won't be much fun with standard FPL rules. What makes stuff like fantasy NBA unique is that you are competing in 9 categories, and you need to win 5 of them to win a H2H matchup. This results in a lot of advanced tactics, such as intentionally being horrible at one category in order to be better at the rest. The trades are more interesting as well, because you can improve your team by trading for a player who is technically worse than a player you are trading, but fits your team better. Standard FPL scoring is not ideal for draft leagues.

MoSe
Dumbledore

Post by MoSe »

dino1980 wrote:You can have up to 16 teams in a league but my advice would be to cap it at ~10 players
as otherwise there simply won't be enough free agents and transfer dealings throughout the season to keep the league interesting
that's an interesting issue, common to any unique teams league (i.e. with Draft/Auction), not depending on a particular site
We'll have to see which customisations FPL will offer (and it's of general interest even if you play a draft league in one of the other sites)

I gathered a bit of data about Games appearance in 2016-17 FPL season
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... Vn31c95620
11 players played all 38 games, 14 played 37, and so on
mind:
- didn't report whether those apps were 90' or just 1', nor for instance in how many games 60'+ were played, or less
- didn't analyse the scores: a nearly always present player might well have just 2PPG
- didn't consider the chance of Transfers & Trades during the season

Example:
16 teams need to pick 15 players each, that's 240 players to be picked in a 16-teams draft league
they'd also need to field (starters or autosubs) 176 players during the season

should they pick in their XV the 240 most-present players in the season (again, ignoring minutes and scores)
they'd need to get down to pick those who played only 23 games in the season
to field XI each every GW, the 176 most-present ones range down to 28 games played

beware, that's without getting in the detailed breakdown by position (which I also provided)
nor is guaranteed that those appearances are conveniently staggered or overlapped
(i.e. you might have 15 players one gw and 7 players the other gw, the average is 11/gw but you'll have 4 unused benchers and then 4 missing players)

in term of appearances, as the FPL data is gathered over 38 GWs, I considered AS IF the draft leagues had to play 38gws as well
that's not the real case, as gws depend on the league size and format, but we can get a gross idea from it

the 176 most-present, gathered 5822 appearances (of any kind) in FPL this season
to always field XI, 16 teams wold need 6688 apps over 38 GWs
there are around 54 missing apps per team over a season, that's 1.4 subs needed per game
counting the whole XV rosters, the 240 most-present got tho 7428 apps, covering that need

considering tho injury/ban crisis, and actual player performances, there will surely be the need (and the interest) of transfers in the season
adding 64 players (4 per 16 teams) we'd need 304 in total, and we can find them down to 18 games played
64 more bring us to 368, and down to 12 games in a season

we could rather superficially summarise those figures saying that, counting players presence only, each team in a 16-league could draft
an 11-starters core who play at least 28 games in the season
4 benchers to complete the roster, who play between 23 and 27 games
then find during the season
4 1st choice replacements who'll play between 18 and 23 games
4 more "opportunistic" replacements who'll play between 12 and 17 games
(key is to get those who become starters for a while in place of injureds, and /or hit form)

Of course I'm not questioning your advice at all, I trust it indeed, as it's based or recent experience,
while my own experiences of draft leagues date back to 1991 (pen-and-paper) and 2001, and were based on Serie A
I though it just interesting to review the underlying actual numbers :mrgreen:

then of course you have to consider that the league size influences its format (depending how the sites allow you to customise it)

if playing a H2H league, you might like it to play it Double Round Robin
16 teams require 30 GWs to complete a DRR regular season
if you limit the league size to 10, it's over in 18 GWs -- you'd have time for TWO runs in a PL season, but only if you forsake playoffs
or, you could play it in a Quadruple Round Robin (teams play each other 4 times), which makes 36 GWs in total, and allows for Semifinals
OR, you play 16 teams in a Single Round Robin (ignoring the Home/Away factor), you get 15 GW in the regular season +3 for playoffs from QF, and then a 2nd run

Even a restricted 8-teams league can be interesting, needing just 14gws regular season +2 for SF and final
-- 32gws for two runs, with 6 rest gws to make things easier
its downside being that less players are required, and it might become a bit "too easy" to get decent ones, no sweat for chasing/pinpointing value bargains ;)

Billy Bongo
FISO Knight

Post by Billy Bongo »

I played draft was 13th pick so sulked and gave up

Try picking the 13th best player in prem

Sent from mobile

bspittles
Dumbledore

Post by bspittles »

A draft league where you play head-to-head against a different opponent each week, but where the points were compared for defence vs attackers, midfielders vs midfielders, attack vs defenders, bonus points vs bonus points, clean sheets vs clean sheets, assists vs assists and goals vs goals, where victory in each category scores your team a "goal" would provide some tactical skills, and would also reduce the impact of one manager having the best player.

gallus
Grumpy Old Man

Post by gallus »

bspittles wrote:A draft league where you play head-to-head against a different opponent each week, but where the points were compared for defence vs attackers, midfielders vs midfielders, attack vs defenders, bonus points vs bonus points, clean sheets vs clean sheets, assists vs assists and goals vs goals, where victory in each category scores your team a "goal" would provide some tactical skills, and would also reduce the impact of one manager having the best player.
Now that sounds like a fun idea. Draft leagues need some sort of categories to compete in.

I'd never play a PL draft league with a set order. The person that gets the first pick will pick Kane and win. That's boring. But in an auction draft you'll have to waste half your budget on Kane, and at that price he may not be worth it.

thebillfella
FISO Knight
FS Record: 6th FPL 19/20; 1st TFF StartXI 14/15; 8th TFFE11; 18th TFFE12; 1st FISO TFFE11&12; 1st FISO Full Draft 12/13,14/15,19/20,20/21; 1st Block14/15; 1st 5ASChampLge 12/13; 1st TFF Super614/15; 1st Spring17; 1st FISO Div Premx6, Cup, Mirror,Prem&H2H Champ 19/20

Post by thebillfella »

MoSe wrote:
Sport Billy offered to set up a Draft League in Fantrax Sports
We did a Draft league using Fantrax Sports here a couple of years ago MoSe:

I think the few at the top retained interest but those near the bottom quickly lost interest as they felt they couldn't do anything to change things despite being able to make free agent transfers throughout the season.

We also did the OFL Pro Auction League here but the problem with this is that I think you may now need to pay for it (at the time this was offered for free):

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=96885&hilit=ofl

OIEIAO
FISOhead

Post by OIEIAO »

Some friends of mine and I have played FPL "draft style" for the last 4 years, alongside our regular teams.

The way we run it is

All players get together in a room to do the draft. Or submit a list of players if unavailable.
The second round of picks goes in the opposite order to the first. So if there's 10 players you might get 2nd pick and then 19th pick.
Transfer rules have changed every season but currently we have 2 transfer windows all season, one in September and one in February. We announce transfers on a WhatsApp group.
The only other major house rule is, we also force people to put their goalkeeper as captain. We discovered after year 1, that being the only person who owned a premium player was enough of an advantage and bring able to captain them too was too much. The guy that had Suarez (THAT season) with him as captain almost won the league with only about 4 other fit players. The league became a shoot out between the 3 or 4 best possible captains and the rest of your picks were largely irrelevant.

We are of course constrained by FPL values and so on. I'd welcome an official draft option especially if it allows for more flexibility over picks and rules. I'd have thought most casual players would have no interest in organising this though and isn't it all about hits on the website for the PL?

Interesting someone mentioned sulking above for being a really late pick. Our tenth and final pick last season (who was therefore also 11th pick) bought Costa and Lukaku and ended winning the league by over 100 points!

Cliffard
FISOhead

Official FPL Draft (via Twitter, likely fake)

Post by Cliffard »

Check this out. It's probably fake, I can't find other sources for this. I'd love it though, as a side game. Already doing it manually with friends, in an Excel document.

https://twitter.com/jfh89/status/882577373505441794

mad dog
Dumbledog
FS Record: Sky Winner 16/17

Re: Official FPL Draft (via Twitter, likely fake)

Post by mad dog »

I'd be up for this if it's true.

Cliffard
FISOhead

Post by Cliffard »

S_sutton87
Grumpy Old Man

Post by S_sutton87 »

Hope this happens

MoSe
Dumbledore

Post by MoSe »

lol, I keep reading such posts as

draft = "a first or preliminary form of any writing, subject to revision, copying, etc."

so we can now have a Draft draft?

Finisher1
Dumbledore

Post by Finisher1 »

MoSe wrote:lol, I keep reading such posts as

draft = "a first or preliminary form of any writing, subject to revision, copying, etc."

so we can now have a Draft draft?
Those who follow American sports leagues are very familiar with entry drafts. I only later learnt this other meaning that you are referring to :lol:

swadd1er
Dumbledore

Post by swadd1er »

How exactly does this draft work? I can't quite get my head around it. I'm probably just being stupid..

DAREEL
Grumpy Old Man

Post by DAREEL »

Who knows mate. I'll give it a go. Not sure it's suitable for cash league. Isn't it the luck of the draw

Arhaych
FISOhead
FS Record: Voted "Most Suave Fantasy Manager" - 2012/2013

Post by Arhaych »

DAREEL wrote:Who knows mate. I'll give it a go. Not sure it's suitable for cash league. Isn't it the luck of the draw
The drafts are usually ordered in a fair way.

e.g. 1-2-3-4-5-6-6-5-4-3-2-1.

I'm really excited about this - nice addition.

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “FPL Draft”