To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Tour de France 2019

A forum for discussion on Sports (apart from Football) matters not involving fantasy issues.
blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Re: Tour de France 2019

Post by blahblah »

I didn't realise that they were going to try and sell up as well, which means they will be after more than the £30-34m? :shock: :shock: :shock:

Sky owns 85 per cent of Tour Racing Limited, the company that owns and manages Team Sky according to the latest available accounts. 21st Century Fox owns the remaining 15 per cent. Other key sponsors include bike-brand Pinarello, Ford and clothing brand Castelli. from http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/team-sk ... -sponsors/ but Disney owns Fox which owns Sky now?

I'm not so sure about Dave swapping plans during a race let alone a Tour or GT as he hasn't in the past? Although I doubt G would have been allowed to attack Froome the way Froome did G. But then Froome would have been called back as he was all those years ago for Brad :wink:

liquidfootball2
Dumbledore
FS Record: Best fpl finish 233 in 14/15

Post by liquidfootball2 »

Bradley Wiggins has had his say on Sky's decision to end it's sponsorship and pull out of cycling, warning that those rejoicing should be careful what they wish for as cycling will be “worse off” if the team folds.

"People need to be careful what they wish for because if Sky go now the sport will be worse off for it," Wiggins said on talkSPORT. "(Cycling) won't disintegrate but it won't have the profile it has enjoyed now. This day was always going to happen because the sport is so backward in some ways, the people that run it. It's not corrupt but it's so backward. There's no money in the sport.

"Sky brought money but I'm talking about sponsors in general aside from Sky. Rather than be grateful for a company like Sky people just hammered it.

"The amount of money they've put in over the last 10 years...is incredible, and the timing of that with the generation of cyclists and what Dave wanted to do, we may never ever see it again.”

Asked whether he thought Brailsford would be able to find another backer, Wiggins replied: "I can't envisage them getting a sponsor like Sky - a UK company, wherever it's owned these days but based in London - the size of the company coming and doing that for cycling. To replace them to carry on and cover the wage bill and the budget will be a tough thing to do...

"It's the end of an era in some ways. That's not to say the team can't carry on but it's whether they can find a sponsor with that much money and that much weight to cover the wage bill so they can keep everyone there."

liquidfootball2
Dumbledore

The perfect solution for Team Sky?

Team Sky’s takeover by petrochemicals giant Ineos, which will be announced in the next 48 hours, has been described by Bradley Wiggins as the “ideal” outcome for Sir Dave Brailsford.

Wiggins said that Ineos would allow Brailsford carte blanche to run the team as he saw fit without being encumbered by commercial and sponsorship requirements.

He added that the team’s annual budget, about £30 million, would be “nothing” to Sir Jim Ratcliffe, the chairman and chief executive officer of the Ineos group.

Ratcliffe, Britain’s richest man, has a personal fortune estimated by The Sunday Times to be more than £21 billion.

Reports of interest from Ratcliffe – who also took over Ben Ainslie’s America’s Cup team last year – first surfaced this month, three months after BSkyB’s decision to pull the plug on the team after 10 years.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/cycling/201 ... nced-next/

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: FISODAS Champion Season 34!

Post by forestfan »

Will this just give them the sort of budgetary advantage that means it’s not worth anyone else turning up, or are there restrictions? :?

murf
FISO Viscount
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.

Post by murf »

forestfan wrote:Will this just give them the sort of budgetary advantage that means it’s not worth anyone else turning up, or are there restrictions? :?
Who said their budget was going up - or even staying where it is?

liquidfootball2
Dumbledore

murf wrote: 18 Mar 2019, 21:16
forestfan wrote:Will this just give them the sort of budgetary advantage that means it’s not worth anyone else turning up, or are there restrictions? :?
Who said their budget was going up - or even staying where it is?
Sir Jim Ratcliffe?

Ok the article never explicitly spells it out in black and white terms but you would have to assume that, considering he has in the past invested £110 million in Ben Ainslee's Americas Cup sailing bid. He likes putting money into his interests and sailing and cycling are two of them.

Ineos will buy out Tour Racing Limited, the holding company owned by BSkyB which holds the team’s licence and so remain in the World Tour. Team Sky will then be renamed Team Ineos from 2020 – with permission from the Professional Cycling Council.

Wiggins described the takeover as a “bonus for everyone at Team Sky”. Speaking on his podcast on Eurosport, Wiggins said: “He [Ratcliffe] is the richest man in Britain and you’d imagine that the kind of money that they’ve asked for is nothing to him – probably get it written off his tax bill.

“I’m aware of this guy but I’ve never met him. He’s got a house in Majorca and he’s really into cycling, rides his bike, so I would imagine this is someone who loves cycling and said, ‘I’m going to put my money in’. Much like Gerry Ryan [at Mitchelton-Scott] and a few of the other Australian millionaires who put their money in.

“So, it’s an ideal situation for Dave [Brailsford] because he can continue running out this team with all his plans and philosophies and he’s answerable, you’d imagine, to one man who puts in the money, and it’ll certainly help that team.”

Wiggins added: “I think that would have impacted on the sponsor they have [gone with] as well. Dave will want to retain control and it’s Dave’s way in terms of the way he manages the team, the way he’s set the team up and I think he would have been reluctant to have another multinational company that came in and wanted it for the advertisement, but would want the control in terms of, ‘This is how we’re going to do it in terms of how we advertise our company’. I think that would have been a big point for Dave which in some ways is an ideal situation.”

Wiggins added that tying up a deal this early in the season was a bonus for everyone at Team Sky, with riders not now facing any contractual uncertainty heading into the summer.

liquidfootball2
Dumbledore

Team Ineos confirms Team Sky takeover and will become new sponsor immediately

Britain's richest man Sir Jim Ratcliffe is to take control of Team Sky and immediately rebrand it with the name Team Ineos.

Ratcliffe, the 66-year-old billionaire boss of chemicals company Ineos, will reportedly pump up to £40m a year into the team, which will continue to be run by current principal Sir Dave Brailsford.

Sky announced in December that it would be terminating its reported £35m-a-year deal at the end of 2019 but Ratcliffe's investment will be "even greater", Sky Sports News has learned.

The announcement means the Team Sky name will cease to exist at the end of April with the rebranded Team Ineos taking part in the first Grand Tour of the year, May's Giro d'Italia.

Sir Jim Ratcliffe, Chairman and Chief Executive of INEOS, said: "Cycling is a great endurance and tactical sport that is gaining ever more popularity around the world. Equally, cycling continues to mushroom for the general public as it is seen to be good for fitness and health, together with easing congestion and pollution in city environments.

"INEOS is delighted to take on the responsibility of running such a professional team."

Ratcliffe has a personal fortune of £21 billion and he owns the FC Lausanne-Sport football club in Switzerland, where his company is based, and is backing Sir Ben Ainslie's Americas Cup 2021 bid to the tune of £110m - Ratcliffe has also been heavily linked with an attempt to buy Chelsea from Russian owner Roman Abramovich.

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

I hope that he has paid all his taxes :wink:

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Sports Talk & Events (excluding Football)”