To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Cricket - SandpaperGate

A forum for discussion on Sports (apart from Football) matters not involving fantasy issues.
liquidfootball2
Dumbledore
FS Record: Best fpl finish 233 in 14/15

Re: Cricket - SandpaperGate

Post by liquidfootball2 »

And so to exactly noone's great surprise it has now been revealed that it was sandpaper that was used to rough up the ball.

Bancroft who even lied after being caught when it looked fairly obvious it wasn't tape has got 9 months ban for himself

Revealed: The full extent of Australia cheating - sticky-tape lies and how Warner drove Bancroft to tamper with the ball https://www.telegraph.co.uk/cricket/201 ... Zsw2Nlpchm

Brightwater
Grumpy Old Man
Location: ***** BrightwaterVilla.co.uk ***** lakeside at Lake Berkley Orlando /parkrunning
FS Record: 21 cash league wins. CYKI 08/09 4th, 09/10 8th. 12/13 Sky 56th, FPL FISO X League winner. 2014 UFPL Beta 7th.

Post by Brightwater »

Fair punishments for those 3. It's good that Warner and Smith also lose IPL money.

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: FISODAS Champion Season 34!

Post by forestfan »

Brightwater wrote: 28 Mar 2018, 13:57 Fair punishments for those 3. It's good that Warner and Smith also lose IPL money.
Coming soon, to a county ground near us...

liquidfootball2
Dumbledore

Everyone is poorer: Australia, cricket, and certainly Bancroft and Smith (nobody cares about Warner). Shame and exile have been piled on “the new Bradman”.

The Barmy Army will joke about Smith being “transported” back to Australia from South Africa. A potentially great cricketer faces an unknown future. There is sadness and waste. But the penalty fits the wider infringement, beyond ball-tampering. Smith ran himself out.

liquidfootball2
Dumbledore

Australian head coach Darren Lehmann to step down immediately following the fourth test

Tacalabala
FISO Knight

Post by Tacalabala »

What's just as disappointing is this was unnecessary, they are good enough to compete on an even playing field.

hancockjr
Dumbledore
FS Record: FPL: Not as good as it was, but still very respectable.

Post by hancockjr »

Tacalabala wrote: 29 Mar 2018, 17:15 What's just as disappointing is this was unnecessary, they are good enough to compete on an even playing field.
Hard to tell isn't it, no way this is new, they were cheating with DRS previously (no way that was a "one-off brain fade") and can't imagine anyone believes Warner suddenly had this idea just as he had passed "ball caring" responsibility on to Bancroft. They've been doctoring the ball for some time at least.

Any time I start to feel sympathy for Smith I just remember he's lied in the past, still not come clean and ripped the piss out of the socially awkward Bairstow for a socially awkward faux pas in a public press conference.

He's gone home crying - what a delicious irony.

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

More cynicism, and apologies.....

So two senior batsmen bullied a "newbie" into this without the Bowlers knowing? Yeah, right, and my avatar is popping round later with Ms Jolie for an Easter of debauchery.

The likes of Flintoff and Pringle have been interesting re: what's all the fuzz about, they were just stupid enough to get caught. As above all pro sportspeople are after an advantage, and I tend to err on this side of the fence, just like Footballers dive, Rugby has Black Arts, Cycling Marginal Gains, Tennis has no Drug Tests....

Seeing as there was no Sp4 stylee Comp and it wasn't on BTSport I don't know if they "needed" to cheat, but their Bowlers would have been good enough?

hancockjr
Dumbledore

Post by hancockjr »

blahblah wrote: 29 Mar 2018, 20:02

Seeing as there was no Sp4 stylee Comp and it wasn't on BTSport I don't know if they "needed" to cheat, but their Bowlers would have been good enough?
They did need to cheat if they were to win - this series was slipping away from them. "Coincidentally" just as Warner had given up ball "managing" duties.

murf
FISO Viscount
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.

Post by murf »

forestfan wrote:
Brightwater wrote: 28 Mar 2018, 13:57 Fair punishments for those 3. It's good that Warner and Smith also lose IPL money.
Coming soon, to a county ground near us...
Or not. Bancroft no longer coming to Zomerzet.

liquidfootball2
Dumbledore

blahblah wrote:More cynicism, and apologies.....

So two senior batsmen bullied a "newbie" into this without the Bowlers knowing? Yeah, right, and my avatar is popping round later with Ms Jolie for an Easter of debauchery.

The likes of Flintoff and Pringle have been interesting re: what's all the fuzz about, they were just stupid enough to get caught. As above all pro sportspeople are after an advantage, and I tend to err on this side of the fence, just like Footballers dive, Rugby has Black Arts, Cycling Marginal Gains, Tennis has no Drug Tests....

Warner's sandpaper plot was really only the final visible sign of a culture that had been allowed to drift beyond the normal boundaries of gamesmanship and sharp practice.

While ball-tampering is of itself relatively common although never planned and executed quite so blatantly, it's almost acted as the spark that's lit the bonfire of discontent and even hatred of a team grown arrogant and boorish, disregarding the normal parameters and showing a remarkable hubris when questioned.

Lehmann who personally may well have been ignorant of this latest manifestation, would relatively frequently state that Australia play hard but fair and while they keep headbutting the line they don't cross it. Unfortunately though and very clearly it has been under his watch that they've lost any sense of where that line actually is.

As Paul Hayward states..

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/cricket/th ... 4z6tg.html

"...The swingeing sentences, which are devastating for Smith in particular, are not just for changing the condition of the ball in Cape Town with a foreign object. There was a wider offence, as CA’s rap sheet indicates. Praised by many for “fronting up” and not hiding from his guilt, Smith and Bancroft were in fact spinning a line about yellow tape when the real instrument of cheating was sandpaper. His attempt to spread responsibility across “the leadership group” was clearly not appreciated by those with a distant or non-existent connection to the plot.

"We ought to be sceptical, still, about an official version of events which exonerates all bar three of Australia’s touring party to South Africa...."

It's also very curious that one of that apparent 'leadership group', was just a virtual rookie and perhaps naive and easily led. I think in all likelihood it was more widely known about and agree that it's hard to see how the bowlers could not at least know the ball was being 'worked' on.

While we wouldn't be human not to have a little sympathy at least with Smith and Bancroft, it must be remembered that after the cheating came the lying, which allowed CA, hypocritically or not, to roll out morality’s tanks..
Last edited by liquidfootball2 on 31 Mar 2018, 08:44, edited 2 times in total.

liquidfootball2
Dumbledore

hancockjr wrote: 29 Mar 2018, 20:18

They did need to cheat if they were to win - this series was slipping away from them. "Coincidentally" just as Warner had given up ball "managing" duties.
Exactly, South Africa were dictating the game, the ball wasn't swinging and progress seemed assured, every reason for them to try something a little different then.

hancockjr
Dumbledore

Post by hancockjr »

liquidfootball2 wrote: 29 Mar 2018, 23:01

Exactly, South Africa were dictating the game, the ball wasn't swinging and progress seemed assured, every reason for them to try something a little different then.
I think you mean “they changed what they did and found they couldn’t win by fair means, so they had to go back to what they had been doing previously. Warner couldn’t do it as cameras were on him due to the De Kock issue so he taught Bancroft to do it, with Steve Smith’s blessing (and maybe others). Bancroft as a novice effed it up and the rest is well known.”

hancockjr
Dumbledore

Post by hancockjr »

Starc is injured. Or “injured” maybe.

liquidfootball2
Dumbledore

hancockjr wrote:

I think you mean “they changed what they did and found they couldn’t win by fair means, so they had to go back to what they had been doing previously. Warner couldn’t do it as cameras were on him due to the De Kock issue so he taught Bancroft to do it, with Steve Smith’s blessing (and maybe others). Bancroft as a novice effed it up and the rest is well known.”

That's exactly what I meant, they tried to achieve with sandpaper what they couldn't easily achieve otherwise

hancockjr
Dumbledore

Post by hancockjr »

liquidfootball2 wrote: 30 Mar 2018, 11:20
hancockjr wrote:

That's exactly what I meant, they tried to achieve with sandpaper what they couldn't easily achieve otherwise
Indeed, but it wasn’t different to the past, it was the same as they had been doing until very recently.

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Sports Talk & Events (excluding Football)”