To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Rio Olympics

A forum for discussion on Sports (apart from Football) matters not involving fantasy issues.
forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: FISODAS Champion Season 34!

Re: Rio Olympics

Post by forestfan »

Football final now in extra time... normally couldn't care less about Olympic football, but it's Brazil chasing their holy grail of a first Olympic gold, on home soil, against who else but the Germans... anyone for penalties?

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

Here come the pens then the tears....

Hopefully Neymar misses the crucial one.

Tacalabala
FISO Knight

Post by Tacalabala »

It's like a horror film, you know what's coming but you can't stop watching.

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

It just doesn't fit, having these uber star there....

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

Bit OTT commentary?

The game no on will forget? Erm jack give a fig about it?

Tacalabala
FISO Knight

Post by Tacalabala »

Brazil do have the complete set now, that would have been the case for Germany too.

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

Brazilians seemingly winding up Argentina over 23 years without a "major" trophy, but they've won two Olympics in that time... the one which Brazil were seemingly desperate to land. :?

Of course, it's older than the World Cup and Brazil had never previously won it. If football is to remain an Olympic sport, why not do it properly, with all the best players, have it as a secondary, slightly smaller World Cup, and move the Euros to odd numbered years (with promotion and relegation replacing qualifiers)?

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

One out of two in the taekwondo bronze-offs brings the total to 64... so it's up to Mo to equal the 65 medals won in London (well, we have one more guaranteed in boxing tomorrow I think, so this to beat it!)

Mo Bot
Dumbledore
FS Record: Inaugural Last Man Standing. FISO Fantasy Eurovision champ 2012. World #1 in UFPL for a whole week

Post by Mo Bot »

Well done Mo. Not really in doubt at any point.

liquidfootball2
Dumbledore
FS Record: Best fpl finish 233 in 14/15

Re: RE: Re: Rio Olympics

Post by liquidfootball2 »

forestfan wrote:Brazilians seemingly winding up Argentina over 23 years without a "major" trophy, but they've won two Olympics in that time... the one which Brazil were seemingly desperate to land. :?

Of course, it's older than the World Cup and Brazil had never previously won it. If football is to remain an Olympic sport, why not do it properly, with all the best players, have it as a secondary, slightly smaller World Cup, and move the Euros to odd numbered years (with promotion and relegation replacing qualifiers)?
While its nice for the home fans football has no place in the Olympics, and if you asked me to name any past winners I could probably only name last night's. A game no one will forget? - I could go right over the top and call that perhaps the most ridiculous comment ever.

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Re: RE: Re: Rio Olympics

Post by forestfan »

liquidfootball2 wrote:
forestfan wrote:Brazilians seemingly winding up Argentina over 23 years without a "major" trophy, but they've won two Olympics in that time... the one which Brazil were seemingly desperate to land. :?

While its nice for the home fans football has no place in the Olympics, and if you asked me to name any past winners I could probably only name last night's. A game no one will forget? - I could go right over the top and call that perhaps the most ridiculous comment ever.
I don't think they will forget it in Brazil, it's one of the iconic moments for the host nation, even if the rest of the world wasn't that bothered.

Olympic football was effectively the World Cup before the real thing existed, that's one reason why it's still there (perhaps the bigger one being the IOC/FIFA commercial relationship...) and isn't going away, but there's perhaps more ways they could rethink it, beyond removing the age restrictions. A smaller format perhaps, looking at how well the rugby sevens worked?

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

One of the big negatives from the athletics has been the trigger-happy jobsworth officials... disqualify first then ask questions later. I know, relays are always chaotic and there's going to be issues to sort out, and distance races tend to involve contact, but unless there's something really blatant, wait until someone appeals at least. There have been decisions made, reversed, appealed, barely explained, it's like they're getting paid by the DQ. I don't know if they're local or IAAF provided, but common sense has been seriously lacking, unlike some of the other sports.

Tacalabala
FISO Knight

Post by Tacalabala »

forestfan wrote:One of the big negatives from the athletics has been the trigger-happy jobsworth officials... disqualify first then ask questions later. I know, relays are always chaotic and there's going to be issues to sort out, and distance races tend to involve contact, but unless there's something really blatant, wait until someone appeals at least. There have been decisions made, reversed, appealed, barely explained, it's like they're getting paid by the DQ. I don't know if they're local or IAAF provided, but common sense has been seriously lacking, unlike some of the other sports.
Again, I think the Brazilians have been underwhelming hosts - the Paralympics scandal, and that is what it is a scandal, was the latest in a long list of problems. I hate to say that this, but at least with Qatar in 2022 there is no doubt the thing will be excellently organised even if no ones wants to go. And the thing is built on the back of slaves.

As for the football in the Olympics debate, there is too much money in it for the IOC to not have it and the Women's one is a full age mini WC, and also I think we just don't understand it here because we can't qualify for it. I still think we should have a Home Championship to decide who should be the nominated Team GB representative in qualifying, than at least we'd have a chance.

Why isn't beach football and futsal in it? They could easily share venues with volleyball and handball/basketball, even play in the morning to not impede on those sport's schedule, would be a cheap way to generate more ticket revenues if nothing else.

Tacalabala
FISO Knight

Post by Tacalabala »

I felt for that Muhammed guy in the joda, there can't be much crueller ways to miss out on gold.

As for Daley, that is unacceptable to me how he went for top in the preliminary round to dog poo in the semi, you have to question his preparation.

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

Anyway, if football's in the Olympics due to the IOC/FIFA commercial relationship, maybe they could return the favour and we could have some track cycling and taekwondo at the World Cup, as a red-button alternative to the tedium of Slovakia v South Korea in the group stage :wink:

Surprised
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: TFFOSM MotW in 2008 and MotM in 2003. 78th overall in TFFO for 2002/3 and 2003/4

Post by Surprised »

Mo Bot wrote:Well done Mo. Not really in doubt at any point.
He was superb. The race commentary on the tactics of the Kenyans was farcical . Did the commentators really think they had just worked out new tactics after 5 years or so?

Surprised
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: TFFOSM MotW in 2008 and MotM in 2003. 78th overall in TFFO for 2002/3 and 2003/4

Post by Surprised »

Tacalabala wrote:
forestfan wrote:One of the big negatives from the athletics has been the trigger-happy jobsworth officials... disqualify first then ask questions later. I know, relays are always chaotic and there's going to be issues to sort out, and distance races tend to involve contact, but unless there's something really blatant, wait until someone appeals at least. There have been decisions made, reversed, appealed, barely explained, it's like they're getting paid by the DQ. I don't know if they're local or IAAF provided, but common sense has been seriously lacking, unlike some of the other sports.
Again, I think the Brazilians have been underwhelming hosts - the Paralympics scandal, and that is what it is a scandal, was the latest in a long list of problems. I hate to say that this, but at least with Qatar in 2022 there is no doubt the thing will be excellently organised even if no ones wants to go. And the thing is built on the back of slaves.

As for the football in the Olympics debate, there is too much money in it for the IOC to not have it and the Women's one is a full age mini WC, and also I think we just don't understand it here because we can't qualify for it. I still think we should have a Home Championship to decide who should be the nominated Team GB representative in qualifying, than at least we'd have a chance.

Why isn't beach football and futsal in it? They could easily share venues with volleyball and handball/basketball, even play in the morning to not impede on those sport's schedule, would be a cheap way to generate more ticket revenues if nothing else.
We can qualify for it as we had a team in 2012. The English FA wanted a team in but the Scottish and Welsh FAs blocked it.

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

Surprised wrote:
He was superb. The race commentary on the tactics of the Kenyans was farcical . Did the commentators really think they had just worked out new tactics after 5 years or so?
Well, they were trying different tactics in terms of making the pace faster, but it does raise the question of why they have played into his hands with slow paced races so often... whatever they try, it's unlikely to be successful though.

The main challenge to his standing in terms of all-time greats seems to be the lack of world records and spectacular times. Athletics is about winning races though, it's not a time trial, artificially created records using pacemakers are unlikely to be remembered by many other than the few thousand in a stadium in Oslo or Zurich... gold medals are what count. Same as with Rutherford, so what if he hasn't got within half a metre of Mike Powell's record, he's won every major title going and you can only beat what's put in front of you!

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

Another curious fact from last night, KJT's heptathlon high jump of 1.98m would have won gold in the individual event... so why wasn't she selected for it? :?

Surprised
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Surprised »

forestfan wrote:
Surprised wrote:
Well, they were trying different tactics in terms of making the pace faster, but it does raise the question of why they have played into his hands with slow paced races so often... whatever they try, it's unlikely to be successful though.
Pretty sure someone would have thought about that in the last 5 or 6 years. This can't be his first race in which the pace has been upped.

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

Shame they are not familiar with Rollerball, or whatever it is called, the blocking etc could have been quite entertaining with Steve and Brendan freaking out.....

Tacalabala
FISO Knight

Post by Tacalabala »

forestfan wrote:Another curious fact from last night, KJT's heptathlon high jump of 1.98m would have won gold in the individual event... so why wasn't she selected for it? :?
Indeed, I don't think she'll ever be good enough let alond beat that Belgian girl who was fantastic by all accounts. Either that, or stick her on a bike haha

Tacalabala
FISO Knight

Post by Tacalabala »

forestfan wrote:Another curious fact from last night, KJT's heptathlon high jump of 1.98m would have won gold in the individual event... so why wasn't she selected for it? :?
Indeed, I don't think she'll ever be good enough let alond beat that Belgian girl who was fantastic by all accounts. Either that, or stick her on a bike haha

Mav3rick
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: FPL: 1082, 1201, 1800, 10203

The stats are dark and full of errors.

Post by Mav3rick »

Tacalabala wrote:
Considering we put Morgan Lake (another heptahetle) into the high jump it is a good question. Her and her coach aren't stupid though. If she's going to suffer from a case of the Kelly Sothertons then maybe she will switch to high jump.

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

I think I mentioned her, above, amidst the murf being able to throw further from his armchair debate, but she failed to get the Qualifying Score. This is from my aged memory of a big Heptathlon Meeting in the Spring and I don't know if she has been injured etc.

I'm no expert, but she should have been worth an "experience" spot, and certainly looks capable of throwing.

RomynPG
Dumbledore
FS Record: FPL 134 overall 06/07 ... never close since

Post by RomynPG »

Football is an odd one - wouldn't bother me if it disappered.

Rhythmic Gmynastics ... how it that a sport? ...and so dull ...same goes for things like Syncro swimming.

Squash is something I'd like to see ... and, having enjoyed the Taekwondo, I'd like to see some more combat sports in there - Karate etc.

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

Anything where Judges need to tell me who wins isn't really a sport etc imho. It is art, and should be separate....

Surprised
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Surprised »

Hard to justify ruling out Tennis, football and golf because they are full time professionals when the only reason we won so many medals is that funding has enabled us to have so many full time , professional athletes.

RomynPG
Dumbledore
FS Record: FPL 134 overall 06/07 ... never close since

Post by RomynPG »

blahblah wrote:Anything where Judges need to tell me who wins isn't really a sport etc imho. It is art, and should be separate....
Boxing?

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

RomynPG wrote:
blahblah wrote:Anything where Judges need to tell me who wins isn't really a sport etc imho. It is art, and should be separate....
Boxing?
Admittedly that is a dodgy one, but there have been a few very results, so out it should go unless it can find something more objective.

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Sports Talk & Events (excluding Football)”