To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Rio Olympics

A forum for discussion on Sports (apart from Football) matters not involving fantasy issues.
Surprised
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: TFFOSM MotW in 2008 and MotM in 2003. 78th overall in TFFO for 2002/3 and 2003/4

Re: Rio Olympics

Post by Surprised »

blahblah wrote:
RomynPG wrote:
blahblah wrote:Anything where Judges need to tell me who wins isn't really a sport etc imho. It is art, and should be separate....
Boxing?
Admittedly that is a dodgy one, but there have been a few very results, so out it should go unless it can find something more objective.
Diving?
Gymnastics?

I don't watch things like dressage or synchronized swimming because I can't tell an excellent round from a very good one. Doesn't mean they don't deserve to be there

Dennisthemenace
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Dennisthemenace »

How is that wrestling? I was expecting Big Daddy vs Giant Haystacks types, not a sudo-judo type thing.

Golf shouldn't be there or football. They have their showpieces with The Majors and World Cup. Or Tennis. Those obscure sports like synchro swimming and that gymnastics with ribbons also need kicking out.

More martial arts should be there as they are popular nowadays. Trouble is there are so many types/styles of each one, so there would need to be some sort of official olympic style for each.

Handball is a weird one. Not sure why that isn't more popular in the UK? Rugby 7's was a hit but like cricket, baseball, American football, gaelic football, horse-racing, bullfighting and caber tossing, it is a little limited to the amount of countries playing the game.

The only changes to the Athletics programme would be decathlon for the women instead of heptathlon. Do the women do the steeplechase? If not, then that should be in, in fact they should do the same as the men and I'm not sure why they don't? They never used to do triple jump or hammer but they're included nowadays.

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: FISODAS Champion Season 34!

Post by forestfan »

They do have women's steeplechase now, so other than size of hurdles/throwing implements I think everything is pretty much equal now apart from the multi-event format. I did see an article about the women's decathlon question once, and there doesn't seem any great desire within the sport to switch from heptathlon to decathlon, I think it's partly the athletes themselves not wanting to learn a new set of events if they were to change over, though adding an eighth event to create an "octathlon" was considered a possibility.

RomynPG
Dumbledore
FS Record: FPL 134 overall 06/07 ... never close since

Post by RomynPG »

Surprised wrote:
blahblah wrote:
RomynPG wrote:
blahblah wrote:Anything where Judges need to tell me who wins isn't really a sport etc imho. It is art, and should be separate....
Boxing?
Admittedly that is a dodgy one, but there have been a few very results, so out it should go unless it can find something more objective.
Diving?
Gymnastics?

I don't watch things like dressage or synchronized swimming because I can't tell an excellent round from a very good one. Doesn't mean they don't deserve to be there
Most "judgement" based disciplines are at least based on "I'm going to attempt this thing, which has a level of difficulty of x, and the judges will decide how well I did what I said I would". I'm not sure Sychro swimming and Rhythmic Gymnastics have that - and it's the judges deciding based on some other criteria which we, generally, don't understand.

Maybe its because we're used to them but I'm pretty sure I can tell when an athlete has "nailed it", even in the Dressage, but Syncro/Rhythmic I have no clue. (I can tell when a routine goes pear-shaped though :) )

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

And those two have no serious British medal interest so are clearly crap sports :wink:

Surprised
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: TFFOSM MotW in 2008 and MotM in 2003. 78th overall in TFFO for 2002/3 and 2003/4

Post by Surprised »

RomynPG wrote:
Surprised wrote:
blahblah wrote:
RomynPG wrote:
Boxing?
Diving?
Gymnastics?

Most "judgement" based disciplines are at least based on "I'm going to attempt this thing, which has a level of difficulty of x, and the judges will decide how well I did what I said I would". I'm not sure Sychro swimming and Rhythmic Gymnastics have that - and it's the judges deciding based on some other criteria which we, generally, don't understand.

Maybe its because we're used to them but I'm pretty sure I can tell when an athlete has "nailed it", even in the Dressage, but Syncro/Rhythmic I have no clue. (I can tell when a routine goes pear-shaped though :) )

But who decides what difficulty level a dive is? Its people like the judges.

RomynPG
Dumbledore
FS Record: FPL 134 overall 06/07 ... never close since

Post by RomynPG »

Surprised wrote:
RomynPG wrote:
Surprised wrote:
blahblah wrote:
RomynPG wrote:
Boxing?
Diving?
Gymnastics?

But who decides what difficulty level a dive is? Its people like the judges.
The various associations do - presumably via some form of agreement. While those people maybe "like" judges - the judges at an event have a clear tick-list to work against.

Here's fina-table-degrees-difficulty-springboard for example.

Surprised
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Surprised »

Interesting link Romyn.
I don't see my dive there. It's standing at edge of pool and sort of falling forward and is trickier than it looks.

bluenosey
Dumblenose
FS Record: FISO Goals Champ 2018/19 & 2019/20

Post by bluenosey »

Dennisthemenace wrote:How is that wrestling? I was expecting Big Daddy vs Giant Haystacks types, not a sudo-judo type thing.

Golf shouldn't be there or football. They have their showpieces with The Majors and World Cup. Or Tennis. Those obscure sports like synchro swimming and that gymnastics with ribbons also need kicking out.

More martial arts should be there as they are popular nowadays. Trouble is there are so many types/styles of each one, so there would need to be some sort of official olympic style for each.

Handball is a weird one. Not sure why that isn't more popular in the UK? Rugby 7's was a hit but like cricket, baseball, American football, gaelic football, horse-racing, bullfighting and caber tossing, it is a little limited to the amount of countries playing the game.

The only changes to the Athletics programme would be decathlon for the women instead of heptathlon. Do the women do the steeplechase? If not, then that should be in, in fact they should do the same as the men and I'm not sure why they don't? They never used to do triple jump or hammer but they're included nowadays.
Not sure if that is tongue in cheek Dennis ( :wink: ) but all the above sports that you think should go should stay IMO. The only sport I would add is squash. Weird that it's always left out :?

bluenosey
Dumblenose

Post by bluenosey »

Rio

The good

The bad

The ugly

Surprised
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Surprised »

That stupid American swimmer with his frat boy mentality and superiority complex. I hope he never competes again.

bluenosey
Dumblenose

Post by bluenosey »

Team GB all set to finish second 8-) . Well that's simply phenomenal. Let's hope our para-olympians can keep the momentum going. It give you such a lift to see our Olympians doing so well. Some paid very little. Team GB have the cycling on lockdown, are overall the best at rowing, starting to make a massive impression at Gymnastics and making a a bit of a splash in the pool and off the diving board. From the quiet shy brilliance of of Jason Kenny to the bubbly charming Nicola Evans. From Wiggo to Max to Jade to Mo. From the backroom coaching all the way to athletics's Phil Jones - commentator, supporter, psychologist, listener. Like a big father figure.

Farah's achievement is epic and he should be SPOTY. A double double at 5,000 and 10,000 metres. It's fitting he won our last track gold and will be a big miss in Tokyo.

All heroes though. Every single bloody one of 'em. Well done 8-)

bluenosey
Dumblenose

Post by bluenosey »

Surprised wrote:That stupid American swimmer with his frat boy mentality and superiority complex. I hope he never competes again.
Absolutely. Thought he could take the pee in a "poor" country and get away with it. He bit off more than he could chew. An embarrassment to America. At least one of his colleagues had the good grace to say he ballsed up and donated a chunk of cash. Look at some of the American papers for what they think of Lochte. He can go back to bleaching his hair and we can marvel at how amazing Mr Phelps is.

Mav3rick
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: FPL: 1082, 1201, 1800, 10203

The stats are dark and full of errors.

Post by Mav3rick »

And that's it for 4 years then :shock: Well, mostly, I mean I'll watch the Paralympics, but won't be staying up till 3am most days!

Does anyone know if it's possible to donate to the Olympics team funding without playing the lottery?

Tacalabala
FISO Knight

Post by Tacalabala »

bluenosey wrote:
Surprised wrote:That stupid American swimmer with his frat boy mentality and superiority complex. I hope he never competes again.
Absolutely. Thought he could take the pee in a "poor" country and get away with it. He bit off more than he could chew. An embarrassment to America. At least one of his colleagues had the good grace to say he ballsed up and donated a chunk of cash. Look at some of the American papers for what they think of Lochte. He can go back to bleaching his hair and we can marvel at how amazing Mr Phelps is.
Was bound to happen, the guy is proper K.

So, what should be the target for Tokyo? That's going to be a real tough one for UK Sport to set, can we realistically challenge Team USA? Or do we try to win the 'prestige' medals, i.e. 100m, all round team gymnastics, cycling road race?

Surprised
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Surprised »

Mav3rick wrote:And that's it for 4 years then :shock: Well, mostly, I mean I'll watch the Paralympics, but won't be staying up till 3am most days!

Does anyone know if it's possible to donate to the Olympics team funding without playing the lottery?

I'm disappointed the Paralympics have been scaled back which ends the dream for many. It is far more inspiring than the Olympics
I can't see why the mega rich IOC can't help fund it.

Dennisthemenace
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Dennisthemenace »

It will be hard to emulate both London, Rio and even Bejing. Golden periods come and go in the world of sport, sometimes with reasoning, sometimes not. Remember Coe, Ovett, Cram? I can't remember anyone GB in 1500m since.

Sanderson, Whitbread, Backley, Hill in Javelin - nobody since.

And that maybe the case with GB sport. Russia seem more interested in beating the system and to get back to the glory days of the Soviet era. China have realised there's money out there and are going for the Professional arena. Germany, should've dominated the world once they integrated East Germany but it all seemed to go backwards.

It could be that other countries catch up, perhaps with lottery style funding of their own. It could be that we are just in a Golden age.

But we will do well to improve on what we have been achieving.Nevertheless, they have been outstanding and if it gets the kids (and adults) away from their screens and out doing some sort of sport then everyone involved is doing something right for sure.

Moist von Lipwig
FISO Knight
FS Record: FPL Spring 16 Winner 2010-11. Murfs F1 Predictions 2012 Winner. Pick Quick 2012-13 Winner. SP4s Predictions League A & Champions League

Re: RE: Re: Rio Olympics

Post by Moist von Lipwig »

Surprised wrote:
Mav3rick wrote:And that's it for 4 years then :shock: Well, mostly, I mean I'll watch the Paralympics, but won't be staying up till 3am most days!

I'm disappointed the Paralympics have been scaled back which ends the dream for many. It is far more inspiring than the Olympics
I can't see why the mega rich IOC can't help fund it.
I'm on my phone so too fiddly to try and find the full numbers of their incoming from Rio, but I do know the IOC got 1.28 billion dollars from NBC for the broadcast rights.

They gave Wada (who they essentially own) 15 million dollars this year...

Footy66
Dumbledore
FS Record: 2x Weekly Mini League Winner 2010-2011, 1 x WDT top 100 2011-2012.

Post by Footy66 »

I suspect we will continue to be good at Track Cycling, Rowing, Boxing and Sailing, which is good because there are plenty of Golds on offer in these sports.

Maybe we need to focus funding on the sports which have a lot of Golds on offer:

32 Swimming

18 Wresting

15 Shooting

15 Weightlifting

14 Judo

12 Canoe Sprint

10 Fencing

It looks like we are improving at Swimming. Wrestling and Weightlifting isn't really our thing, maybe I am being naive - but surely these types of sports are more about training than talent. Surely we have some sports people that are capable of lifting some weight. We are generally good at combat sports - so why not get some people into Wrestling.

We are very good at Rowing, but could improve in Canoe Sprint. Again - may be being naive, but surely it would not be hard to find talent who could do this.

Fencing also seems like something you could get good at quite easily.

Clean up 2 Golds in each of these sports and sorted - we will have a good medal haul along with our usual Track Cycling, Boxing, Rowing etc Golds.

Moist von Lipwig
FISO Knight
FS Record: FPL Spring 16 Winner 2010-11. Murfs F1 Predictions 2012 Winner. Pick Quick 2012-13 Winner. SP4s Predictions League A & Champions League

Interesting you mention swimming as a focus there, I'd just read this before getting on FISO.

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

Footy66 wrote:I suspect we will continue to be good at Track Cycling, Rowing, Boxing and Sailing, which is good because there are plenty of Golds on offer in these sports.

Maybe we need to focus funding on the sports which have a lot of Golds on offer:

32 Swimming

18 Wresting

15 Shooting

15 Weightlifting

14 Judo

12 Canoe Sprint

10 Fencing

It looks like we are improving at Swimming. Wrestling and Weightlifting isn't really our thing, maybe I am being naive - but surely these types of sports are more about training than talent. Surely we have some sports people that are capable of lifting some weight. We are generally good at combat sports - so why not get some people into Wrestling.

We are very good at Rowing, but could improve in Canoe Sprint. Again - may be being naive, but surely it would not be hard to find talent who could do this.

Fencing also seems like something you could get good at quite easily.

Clean up 2 Golds in each of these sports and sorted - we will have a good medal haul along with our usual Track Cycling, Boxing, Rowing etc Golds.
Yeah, maybe instead of assuming this is a peak we need to work out how we're going to deal with the Yanks, we want that number one spot in Tokyo :wink:

They beat us by a substantial 19 golds, but 13 of those were from Phelps, Ledecky and Biles. Short of recruiting them to compete for us with lots of cash, Qatar-style... well, we won golds in more different sports than the USA, but three of the seven sports listed above are ones we failed to medal in at all, and only two of them produced gold for GB.

Wrestling is a strange one, even in London I think we only had one adopted Ukrainian competing for us, to most people here "wrestling" means Big Daddy or WWF, and the Olympic disciplines are something of a mystery and a much less appealing watch than say judo and taekwondo (or is that just because of no GB interest?) It was almost dropped for Tokyo I think, then only reprieved due to its historic status as an original Olympic sport, so seems we're not the only country who doesn't get it!

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

Going for Weightlifting medals is a tad futile unless we stop PED testing them?

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

blahblah wrote:Going for Weightlifting medals is a tad futile unless we stop PED testing them?
I'm amazed that sport's stayed in the Olympics really, if anyone thinks athletics, cycling etc. are bad for doping, then weightlifting's in another league, and it's not as if it's even very interesting... those who take part in it should just stick to pulling trucks and lifting the Atlas Stones on afternoon Christmas holiday TV.

Moist von Lipwig
FISO Knight

Re: RE: Re: Rio Olympics

forestfan wrote:
blahblah wrote:Going for Weightlifting medals is a tad futile unless we stop PED testing them?
I'm amazed that sport's stayed in the Olympics really, if anyone thinks athletics, cycling etc. are bad for doping, then weightlifting's in another league, and it's not as if it's even very interesting... those who take part in it should just stick to pulling trucks and lifting the Atlas Stones on afternoon Christmas holiday TV.
Weightliftings number might finally be up. Can't get a link to the article from the app but copied the relevant text.
The entire Bulgarian team were banned for widespread doping at last year’s European Championships and Russia’s team were prevented from competing in Rio for bringing the sport into disrepute with their much-publicised state-run doping programme.

Belarus and Kazakhstan are also set to be given one-year bans for the number of their athletes caught in the re-testing of samples from the last two Olympics, with Armenia, Azerbaijan, Moldova and Turkey likely to join them.

These bans would already be in place if the International Olympic Committee had processed the re-testing cases from 2008 and 2012 quickly enough, but time ran out before the Rio Games and the countries in question have been allowed to compete and win medals – Kazakhstan winning five, including a gold.

The entire Olympic programme is reviewed after a Games and the IWF is now facing a huge battle to convince the IOC that it has got a handle on doping. If it cannot, a sport that has been an ever-present since 1920 could be thrown out.

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

With the constant wish to modernise and bring in new sports, particularly those with youth appeal, something has to make way and nothing should be untouchable, whether it be doping, lack of spectator appeal or narrow power base in terms of countries winning medals that puts a sport on the chopping block.

Admittedly it's a big decision as losing Olympic status could pretty much destroy some sports. But some of the oldest have been under threat, including wrestling and weightlifting, and modern pentathlon always gets a mention in terms of those in line for the chop as well... that's one I've got a bit of a soft spot for despite its posh military image, with its entertaining random horse showjumping and somewhat village fayre-feeling of the final event, and obviously the fact it was invented by De Coubertin specifically for the Olympics. A tradition worth keeping I'd say... but I suppose no tradition has to last forever and the Olympic movement has to evolve. Boxing could be under threat soon now they've both messed with the definition of "amateur" boxing and gone back to the dark ages with scoring/judging.

Bringing back baseball/softball is unfathomable though, and as for surfing, what happens when somewhere thousands of miles from the sea hosts it? Competitive climbing, well it's a bit Gladiators/Total Wipeout really isn't it? And do we really need another martial arts event in karate, if wrestling isn't to make way? Squash deserves its chance, but keeps getting knocked back. Hope some of the new events prove me wrong though...

Footy66
Dumbledore

Post by Footy66 »

forestfan wrote: Yeah, maybe instead of assuming this is a peak we need to work out how we're going to deal with the Yanks, we want that number one spot in Tokyo :wink
I wonder if we will ever get above the American's in the medal table.

I think the only way we could do it is if we went on an all-out talent hunt and ploughed money into the full-time training of these athletes and aimed for the sports with most medals and tried to clear up a good chunk of the medals in these sports.

The Americans cleared up 13 Golds in Athletics and 16 Golds in Swimming. The next best was 4 Golds in gymnastics, other than that their medals were sparse.

As there main influx of Golds are fairly specific to 2 or 3 events, we'd need them to have a year where it goes tits-up for them in Swimming and Athletics.

I'm not sure how we'd ever be able to compete with them in the Pool or at Athletics. They seem to produce a lot of elite athletes in these sports, and with swimming - if you have one or two absolute beasts - then you can clean-up a lot of medals.

It's also going to get even tougher to beat the Americans as the sports coming into the Olympics in 2020 seem like sports Americans would be good at:

Skateboarding, surfing, climbing, baseball, and karate.

Why can't they bring in Cliff Diving and Squash and Darts and Snooker, then we might clear up a few more Golds.

Footy66
Dumbledore

Post by Footy66 »

With all the 'Homecoming' stuff on the news and constantly seeing everyone's favourite Hockey girl(s) Sam Quek on the news.....I was curious as to what her and my other favourite Sophie Bray's ages were.

I thought it was a bit pervy of me to fancy Sophie Bray as I thought she was like 18/19 years old. She has such a baby face. She's actually 26.

Sam Quek is almost 28. I thought she was like 23.

Not much younger than me.

Time to go hunting them down and show my love to them......back to perv mode.

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Sports Talk & Events (excluding Football)”