To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Rugby World Cup

A forum for discussion on Sports (apart from Football) matters not involving fantasy issues.
AkNotSpur
Dumbledore
FS Record: 2nd YTM 09/10; 3 TFFO Top 10 finishes; 6th TFCI 2008.

Re: Rugby World Cup

Post by AkNotSpur »

Ashers wrote:
Geoffv wrote:Ok I've seen enough All Blacks against Namibia, Georgia and tonight against Tonga to say categorically that they will not win this year's World Cup.
I don't expect them to get past Ireland or France.
France are a big threat to NZ, and most Kiwis will be hoping that they beat Ireland so the later will their QF opponents. Thus far, and before the tournament, the Irish haven't looked too impressive and, of course, they've never ever beaten the All Blacks - a piece of history that causes them to choke dramatically whenever they appear to be about to change it.

liquidfootball2
Dumbledore
FS Record: Best fpl finish 233 in 14/15

Post by liquidfootball2 »

NZ prop Tony Woodcock ruled out of tournament with a hamstring injury, Joe Moody called up.

Ashers
FISO Knight
FS Record: OFL Fantasy Fives Winner 2011/2012, SDT wins WDT, weekly, monthly and seasonal prizes. Fantasy Darts daily winner, TFFO mini league winner & FISO U21 Threes Champs 13.

Post by Ashers »

Jared Payne has been ruled out of the rest of Ireland's World Cup campaign after a scan revealed he has fractured a foot.

AkNotSpur
Dumbledore

Post by AkNotSpur »

Decent effort by Wales today, but the injuries have left them with a blunt back-line. Not the Aussies' best, by any means, and they missed Pocock badly - but they've now got the easiest QF and are a good bet to go all the way.

liquidfootball2
Dumbledore

Very impressed with Australia's defence in those ten minutes with two short, magnificent effort. That on its own merited them having such a kind quarter-final draw. (1/7 best odds to reach semis v Scotland while Wales are 3/1 with a really tough game vs the Boks)

Although New Zealand must still be favourites i think Australia have an outstanding chance and would be very surprised if they didn't at least make the final.

liquidfootball2
Dumbledore

Ireland through at some cost with injuries to O'Connell and Sexton, but at least they now have a more comfortable quarter final against Argentina and should meet Australia in the semis.

The Bear
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Would be alot better but for Andy L & E !

Post by The Bear »

I think Ireland v Argentina will be very close

liquidfootball2
Dumbledore

Re: RE: Re: Rugby World Cup

The Bear wrote:I think Ireland v Argentina will be very close
Yes you're right thinking on it's certainly not a foregone conclusion especially as there have to be some Irish injury worries and Argentina are no mugs, NZ probably a whole lot harder though.

AkNotSpur
Dumbledore

Post by AkNotSpur »

The Bear wrote:I think Ireland v Argentina will be very close
Agreed - that could well be the closest of the QFs. Ireland, who have never won a KO match in the RWC, will find Argentina quite a handful. Great stuff from the Irish (both team and fans) against the French, I just hope that we see another side of Les Bleus against the All Blacks next week - surely, they have to improve? At least they won't have a singing crowd against them as the odd, uncoordinated, chant is about all Kiwis can usually manage.

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: FISODAS Champion Season 34!

Post by forestfan »

NZ won't be too happy to be facing France rather than Ireland given the history... still, looks good odds for an all-Southern Hemisphere last four now.

unc.si.
FISO Knight
FS Record: 'Loser' by Beck

Post by unc.si. »

Going to be even tougher for Ireland now with Sean O Brian being banned for the Puma game. He's a massive player for them.

Sad that we won't see POC in green again. A great player and an immense influence no whatever team he played for. One of those players who's influence on the pitch went way beyond his own individual contribution.

Argentina are a good team though. They're used to playing SA, NZ and AUS, they've got a powerful pack and a great kicker. Tough game. Hope not, but have a feeling Argentina could beat Ireland.

NZ v France should go the Kiwi's way, even if they are only firing on 3 cylinders at the moment. It's France though...

SA should have too much for a very depleted Wales. Probably the best thing that happened to them was losing to Japan, and it's not that much different from the SA team that won the epic game against NZ last year, even if they have looked more ordinary since. It's going to be a tough day in the office for Alun Wyn Jones. Physically he can't compete with De Jager and Etzebeth so he'll have to rely on his work rate and experience to make sure Wales can secure some ball. If Wales accept that they can't compete physically with SA, don't commit many to the breakdown and play smart they've got a chance based on fitness, but I don't think SA will get caught out again.

Whilst Scotland have produced the finest moment of the world cup outside of Japan (when Nigel Owens basically told Stuart Hogg that if he wants to dive then eff off and play football) they're not going to beat Australia.

In all probability it'll be NZ, AUS, SA and Ireland in the semi's, although have a horrible feeling that Argentina could make it a Rugby Championship end of season tour.

unc.si.
FISO Knight

Post by unc.si. »

Oh, personally I think someone should buy O'Brian a pint for giving Pape a little reminder that he's got to behave himself these days, but I suppose it is technically against the rules

AkNotSpur
Dumbledore

Post by AkNotSpur »

unc.si. wrote:In all probability it'll be NZ, AUS, SA and Ireland in the semi's, although have a horrible feeling that Argentina could make it a Rugby Championship end of season tour.
+1

I'm currently getting some grief from my family for stating that I want the French to beat the ABs, but I can't see that happening. I still really fancy the Aussies to win the competition as they have the easiest path to the final and have played the best rugby to date.

SamD
FISO Knight

Book view

Post by SamD »

Above Fiso predictions are generally supported by bookmakers. Current best odds for QF matches:
  • 4/11 South Africa; 28 draw; 3 Wales
    1/5 New Zealand; 33 draw; 6 France
    8/13 Ireland; 28 draw; 7/4 Argentina
    1/9 Australia; 43 draw; 9 Scotland
And betting on Winner:
  • 5/4 New Zealand
    9/5 Australia
    7 South Africa
    9 Ireland
    33 France
    33 Argentina
    35 Wales
    150 Scotland
Imo, odds compilers look spot on in going for NZ - Oz final.

In QF matches:
  • - would consider Wales if they'd retained fully fit squad and were playing at the Millennium - where they've registered their only two victories in 30 matches against South Africa - but not at neutral Twickenham
    - New Zealand are currently on a winning streak of eight against France so recent history supports the All Blacks
    - likewise, Ireland have been victorious in their last five - and ten altogether - of 15 fixtures against Argentina
    - think fourth match could be the lowest scoring, with Wallabies edging past Scotland on penalties, as they did against Wales last week.
So, plenty of opportunity to be wiping egg off face over the next fortnight...

Anyone else willing to predict the final stages is very welcome to play the free Fiso game that begins this Sat 17th:
viewtopic.php?f=76&t=118984

liquidfootball2
Dumbledore

NZ v France

I think NZ will prove too strong this time for the French who really looked second best against Ireland and don't expect this to be very close either -

verdict comfortable win for NZ

Australia v Scotland

Mismatch -

verdict extremely comfortable win for Australia

Wales v RSA

I really rate Gatland and think despite severely depleted resources they will give South Africa a tough match but expect South Africa to dominate possession especially at the breakdown and their pack to be too strong in the end

verdict - win for South Africa

Ireland v Argentina

I think the injuries to key men will mean that this is now going to be an extremely tough to call. I suspect Ireland might edge it but it really could go either way. Easily the closest match for me.

verdict - Too close to call

liquidfootball2
Dumbledore

I think this French performance is putting the Irish performance against them into better perspective. I now think an all Southern hemisphere semi-finals most likely.

Australia cricket score v Scotland not very many

and

Argentina to just edge Ireland

liquidfootball2
Dumbledore

Wow what a start by the Pumas - blowing Ireland apart.

17-0 after 13 mins - never saw this

Mav3rick
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: FPL: 1082, 1201, 1800, 10203

The stats are dark and full of errors.

Post by Mav3rick »

liquidfootball2 wrote:Wow what a start by the Pumas - blowing Ireland apart.

17-0 after 13 mins - never saw this
They've got to make this yellow card count.

liquidfootball2
Dumbledore

This has completely reversed around now, Ireland right on top

liquidfootball2
Dumbledore

Huge for the Pumas

40 to 20 it's now a very comfortable win after Ireland had closed to just three points a while ago

FT Ireland 20 Argentina 43

RomynPG
Dumbledore
FS Record: FPL 134 overall 06/07 ... never close since

Post by RomynPG »

Aus v Sco is a cracking game

Surprised
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: TFFOSM MotW in 2008 and MotM in 2003. 78th overall in TFFO for 2002/3 and 2003/4

Post by Surprised »

All 4 matches have been cracking games.

liquidfootball2
Dumbledore

Scotland have done extremely well to be in touching distance considering they've been outscored four tries to two. Laidlaw has punished Australia by kicking all the opportunities Australia keep giving him.

Far closer than anyone anticipated and deserve great credit for it.

liquidfootball2
Dumbledore

Wow

Surprised
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: TFFOSM MotW in 2008 and MotM in 2003. 78th overall in TFFO for 2002/3 and 2003/4

Post by Surprised »

This would be a big shock if Australia lose this.
End to end stuff

liquidfootball2
Dumbledore

Heartbreaking for Scotland

unc.si.
FISO Knight

Post by unc.si. »

Gutted for Scotland.

dodgy decision as well for the final penalty

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: FISODAS Champion Season 34!

Post by forestfan »

Brave fights by Scotland and Wales, but the Northern Hemisphere shut out of the last four completely on home turf... there surely needs to be a major review of what's going wrong, particularly in terms of the club structure and how it supports the national teams or otherwise. The likes of Argentina are moving forwards while the Six Nations teams are generally regressing.

liquidfootball2
Dumbledore

England had a very poor World cup but they have beaten Australia convincingly last year and have done so at least on a 50/50 basis over the last few years.

Scotland although one of the weaker nations came within a controversial last minute penalty of beating Australia and the Boks beat a severely depleteted Wales by a whisker.

While I agree with your comments general thrust and its obvious that the rugby championship has brought on Argentina leaps and bounds, there can be a danger of reading too much into one-off results which could so easily have been reversed. It's often a commentators trick to look at the final score and then decide who deserved to win and to a lesser extent there can be a danger of this here when more then one knife-edge result is involved.

Argentina are the only Southern hemisphere nation who have surprised me but they, and to a far greater extent, Ireland were hampered by serious injuries to a number of key players.

unc.si.
FISO Knight

Post by unc.si. »

Great set of quarter finals.

Wales missed a couple of chances in the first half and mounted a great defence in the second half. Under the cosh for a long time but nearly hung on. Only undone by a moment of brilliance from Vermeulen. Good world cup for Wales given the injury list, but replacements played well (Cuthbert aside) and they go home with heads held high.

When the kiwi's are in that form it's a pleasure to watch. France turned up ready to play - it wasn't one of those games that they just couldn't be arsed, apart from maybe the last 10 minutes when the game had gone. It was just a near faultless display from the AB's. Carter back to form, Reid getting back to his best, Nonu with some fantastic passing (and a comedy drop), Savea showing why he's the best wing in the world, Milner-Scudder with a step that even Shane Williams, Phil Bennett or Jason Robinson would be proud of, Retallick showing how much of a freak of nature he is. Compare the AB forwards handling with Gethins loop pass into the crowd...

Argentina just blew Ireland away in the first 10 minutes. Some fantastic handling in the forwards and backs, fast breakdown ball and hard carrying forwards. Playing against the other SH teams in the rugby championship has improved them immensely. I could watch Sanchez kick all day as well. His goal kicks are a thing of beauty. Ireland badly missed O Brian at the breakdown. To an extent you can get away with missing a few backs, but losing 3 key forwards just robs you of the means to play.

Scotland nearly did it. Brilliant performance. Maitland should never have been sin binned and that wasn't a penalty at the end. Poor decision making n the final line out. They'll be having nightmares about that for years.

Pity about Joubert, who presumably won't be reffing again for a while...

So, England or Wales for the final (Owens or Barnes)? My money's on Nigel Owens.

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Sports Talk & Events (excluding Football)”