To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Swansea - Expected Line-Ups 13 August 2016

Reports during pre-season on expected 1st team Line-Ups for clubs in the English Premier League
FootballWriter1
Wideboy

Swansea - Expected Line-Ups 13 August 2016

Post by FootballWriter1 »

2015/2016 SEASON REVIEW

Swansea had a very solid last season, finishing in 12th spot in the Premier League tied with Everton, but with a worse goal difference. They had 47 points and ended the season scoring just 42 goals in 38 matches. They did have some great wins, like against Arsenal 2-1, Chelsea 1-0, Everton 2-1, Liverpool 3-1, Manchester United 2-1 and West Ham 4-1. The team had a big results crisis from 12th September till 12th December when they won just 1 game in 13 League matches and that’s what cost them a better season. Swansea played poorly in both the FA and League Cups, losing in the third round of the FA Cup to Oxford United and also in third round of the League Cup to Hull City.

2016/2017 PRESEASON

Swansea have made some good moves during preseason, having signed 5 new players. Their biggest signing of the preseason is a former Juventus, Athetic Bilbao and Sevilla striker Fernando Llorente. This is a huge signing for the club as Llorente is a well proven striker with lots of experience. Fernando will have a huge impact on the team and a great replacement for Gomis who went on a one season loan deal to Marseille. They also signed Ajax defender Mike van der Hoorn, who plays at centre-back position and this might be a sign that they could sell their captain Ashley Williams (who they have omitted from the latest friendly match), although they have rejected few bids from Everton. Swansea signed Leroy Fer from Queens Park Rangers, after he spent the second half of the season on loan. Their last signing was goalkeeper Mark Birighitti who will be used as bench player for the upcoming season. Kyle Bartley and Adam King were sent out on loans while the club sold Alberto Paloschi and Raheem Hanley. Another great thing is the signing of a new contract with one of their best players, Gylfi Sigurdsson who will stay in the club for 4 more years. Swansea have also just agreed a fee with West Ham to sell them last season’s top striker, Andre Ayew, for £20m and will almost certainly be signing another striker.

GOALKEEPERS
Former Arsenal goalkeeper and current Poland keeper, Lukasz Fabianski, was one of the best goalkeepers in the Premier League last season. Fabianski played in 37 matches and was second in the most saves category with 114 saves, just behind Gomes. Fabianski also had 9 clean sheets in the season and was tied for the 9th spot in that category. He has turned 31 and still has a few years of playing on high level and if Swansea keep their captain Williams and defence from last season, Fabianski will be even better. Kristoffer Nordfeldt played in just one game last season and it was the last game of the season against Manchester City. He and a newcomer Birighitti will fight for the chance of being the second choice for manager Francesco Guidolin who took over in January 2016.

DEFENDERS
When we talk about defensive positions in Swansea, the absolute first thought is captain and team leader Ashley Williams. Williams is a Swansea legend and this is now his 9th season at the club but could be leaving very soon. He came to the club in 2008 as an unknown 23 year old player and built a very good reputation in Swansea. Ashley played in 322 games for the club and even scored 14 goals. There are a lot of rumors about his departure, but I think all Swansea fans hope that is not true. He played 36 games last season and was very consistent as his reputation requires. His partner in centre back position was the Argentine player, Federico Fernandez. The former Napoli player, played in 32 matches in the Premier League in duo with Williams. Their substitutes were Kyle Naughton who played in 27 league matches and Jordi Amat who played in just 8 matches. Swansea have a very experienced side backs, who have played for a long time for the club. On the right back position there is Angel Rangel, 33 years old Spanish footballer who is a member of Swansea for 9 seasons. In those 9 seasons he played 306 matches for the club. Rangel played in 23 league matches last season. On the other side is Neil Taylor and he has been part of the Swansea team for 6 years, playing in 149 games. Last season he played in 34 matches getting one assist and also had a great performance in the Euros playing in every match for Wales and scoring 1 goal. The player who played the least games last season was Stephen Kingsley who played in 4 league matches. I think if Swansea keep their leader and captain Williams and bring in another player they could have a much better defensive season. As I said they also signed Ajax defender Mike van der Hoorn, who plays at centre-back position giving cover if Williams leaves the club.

MIDFIELDERS
Swansea have very good midfield players and of course their biggest midfield star and maybe the club’s best player is Gylfi Sigurdsson who had a great performance at Euro 2016 with Iceland, scoring and assisting 1 goal. Gylfi played 36 games for Swansea last season and was just behind striker Ayew with most goals scored in the season. Sigurdsson played a big role and had a huge impact on Swansea’s games, scoring 11 goals and assisting another 3. After his inspirational performance with Iceland at Euros, this 26 year old player must be looking forward to this season. After him, Jack Cork played the most games in the midfield position last season. Cork had 35 appearances, starting in 28 of them. He is a very versatile player who can play in midfield but also in defence. In those 35 games, Cork scored 1 goal and assisted another 2. Ki Sung-Yueng and Wayne Routledge played in 28 games for the club last season. Sung-Yueng plays at central midfield position and started in 21 games for Swansea. He scored 2 goals and assisted 1 more. Routledge is a much more offensive player than Sung-Yueng and plays the winger position and has scored a lot of goals in preseason already. This 31 year old, very experienced player had the same stats as Ki, scoring 2 and assisting 1 goal. Leroy Fer was a great signing and helped the team a lot after he joined in January of 2016 on loan. He played 11 games in the midfield and managed to get 2 assists. Another winger that played for Swansea last season is Jefferson Montero. The Ecuadorian is well-known for his ability to beat his marker with a burst of speed and get in a cross and he played in 23 matches for the club getting 2 assists and also playing for Ecuador in Copa America. He played 4 matches with Ecuador and assisted 2 goals. Leon Britton is Swansea’s absolute team legend, playing for the club for 13 seasons and making 440 appearances in that span. He is 33 years old and has just a few more years of playing, but he did make 25 appearances for the club last season. Now that Swansea brought in Fer, I think he will improve his and club’s game next season and we will see a lot more from him and Sigurdsson.

STRIKERS
Swansea had two great strikers last season in Andre Ayew and Bafetimbi Gomis and these two combined for 18 Swansea goals in the Premier League. Ayew was the team’s leading scorer, playing the season of his life but a £20m fee has just been agreed for his sale to West Ham. Ayew played in 34 matches, starting every single of them and scoring 12 goals along with 2 assists which was very good for a player who can also play midfield. Gomis played in 33 matches, but was a substitute in 15 of them and scored 6 goals. We will not be seeing him this season in a Swansea kit as he is a new Marseille player on a one year loan and it looks like we won’t see Ayew either so Swansea probably starting with an all-new front line. Marvin Emnes has 1 year left on his contract so this Dutch player will be looking to impress this season but had few chances last season. Another striker that played for Swansea last season was 24 year old Modou Barrow who is on contract until 2018. This Gambian striker/winger played in 22 games, but came off the bench in 16 of those matches. Barrow finished the season with 1 goal and 2 assists. With the arrival of Llorente they could be a force in this league once the new striking partnerships have knitted together.

2016/2017 EXPECTED LINEUP

For me the best possible lineup for Swansea would be 4-3-1-2 with Ayew (or his replacement if sold) and Llorente up front and Sigurdsson just behind them.

Fabianski

Rangel Williams Fernandez/van der Hoorn Taylor

Cork/Britton Fer Routledge/Montero

Sigurdsson

Ayew/New Signing Llorente

SUMMARY

The main thing for Swansea is to keep their captain and leader Ashley Williams at the club because he is the heart and the soul of this team. Defensively if they keep him, with the arrival of van der Hoorn they could be very good with Fabianski playing like last season. They will be a threat going forward Sigurdsson, Routledge, Montero, Ayew (if he stays) and Llorente are all very good players that can contribute a lot by scoring or assisting goals. They are very good compact team and I think they will score a lot more than just 42 goals as they did this season. If they bring 1 or 2 more players in, I expect them to be around 10th position on the table, but not very far from the top 7.

INJURY REPORT
Swansea have no injured players. All players are fit and ready for the start of the season.

PRESEASON 2016/2017 RESULTS
July 13 – Charlotte Independence (North Carolina) 4-0 (McBurnie, Routledge (2), Gorre)
July 16 – Richmond Kickers (Virginia) 0-2
July 23 – Bristol Rovers (Memorial Stadium) 5-1 (Ayew, Fer, Kingsley, Naughton, Routledge)
July 27 – Swindon Town (County Ground) 3-0 (Ayew, Fulton, Barrow)
July 30 – Wolverhampton Wanderers (Molineux) 4-0 (Routledge (2), Naughton, McBurnie)
6 August: Swansea 1-0 Rennes (Liberty Stadium). Goal: Fulton

FIRST 10 PREMIER LEAGUE FIXTURES
Round 1 – Burnley AWAY 3pm Saturday 13 August
Round 2 – Hull City HOME
Round 3 – Leicester AWAY
Round 4 – Chelsea HOME
Round 5 - Southampton AWAY
Round 6 – Manchester City HOME
Round 7 – Liverpool HOME
Round 8 – Arsenal AWAY
Round 9 – Watford HOME
Round 10 – Stoke City AWAY

mad dog
Dumbledog
FS Record: Sky Winner 16/17

Re: Swansea - Expected Line-Ups 13 August 2016

Post by mad dog »

You thing Rangel will keep out naughton?

Neath boy
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Egg Cup Premier league champions 2011-12 and 2012-13. Fiso H2H PremierLeague champion 2015/16. FISO Super League regular season champion 2016-17.

Post by Neath boy »

Who is the guy who wrote this? Sid backs? Naughton a centre back cover? Cork also a defender-he has never played there for us! Mad Dog - based on pre-season form I believe Naughton will start but will share some game time with Rangel and Guidolin is prone to change full backs during the second half of games.
Siggurdsson is a worry for the first game as he hasn't played pre-season. Likewise Taylor and Ash (if he stays). I also consider Amat is ahead of Van Der Hoorn and could start week 1 at least.

Beerfuelledman
FISO Knight
FS Record: FISO 17/18 FPL Cash Draft League Winner

Post by Beerfuelledman »

Neath boy wrote:Who is the guy who wrote this? Sid backs? Naughton a centre back cover? Cork also a defender-he has never played there for us! Mad Dog - based on pre-season form I believe Naughton will start but will share some game time with Rangel and Guidolin is prone to change full backs during the second half of games.
Siggurdsson is a worry for the first game as he hasn't played pre-season. Likewise Taylor and Ash (if he stays). I also consider Amat is ahead of Van Der Hoorn and could start week 1 at least.
What about Kingsley Neath? I read many Swans fans thought he would start over Taylor?

Neath boy
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Egg Cup Premier league champions 2011-12 and 2012-13. Fiso H2H PremierLeague champion 2015/16. FISO Super League regular season champion 2016-17.

Post by Neath boy »

Beerfuelledman wrote:
Neath boy wrote:Who is the guy who wrote this? Sid backs? Naughton a centre back cover? Cork also a defender-he has never played there for us! Mad Dog - based on pre-season form I believe Naughton will start but will share some game time with Rangel and Guidolin is prone to change full backs during the second half of games.
What about Kingsley Neath? I read many Swans fans thought he would start over Taylor?
I think it likely Kingsley will start v Burnley as Taylor hasn't played yet pre season but over the season I suspect Taylor is still favourite for that position but Kingsley will also get games. For that reason I would avoid both.

Zebraman
Kevin and Perry

Post by Zebraman »

My possible line-up is: Fabianski, Naughton, Van dear Hoorn, Amat, Kingsley, Cork, Britton, Dyer, Sigurdsson, Routledge, Llorente in a 4-2-3-1 formation. However, there could be 4/5 changes to this line-up!

bhavishya222
Kevin and Perry

Post by bhavishya222 »

Zebraman wrote:My possible line-up is: Fabianski, Naughton, Van dear Hoorn, Amat, Kingsley, Cork, Britton, Dyer, Sigurdsson, Routledge, Llorente in a 4-2-3-1 formation. However, there could be 4/5 changes to this line-up!
Are you sure that Amat will start ??

Neath boy
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Neath boy »

Amat nowhere near certain to start I am afraid. Ash is still here. 4 Cb's after 2 slots. He may start next weekend but if Ash stays I am not sure anyone of our backline are guaranteed starters other than Ashley.

redcanuck
FISOhead
FS Record: Sky sports Fantasy league Winner 2008-09

Post by redcanuck »

Zebraman wrote:My possible line-up is: Fabianski, Naughton, Van dear Hoorn, Amat, Kingsley, Cork, Britton, Dyer, Sigurdsson, Routledge, Llorente in a 4-2-3-1 formation. However, there could be 4/5 changes to this line-up!
Has Sigurdsson played any part in Swansea's pre season? I didn't think he had. How long as he been back from Holiday? Are you sure he starts next Saturday or will he come on as a sub the last 15 or 20 minutes?

Zebraman
Kevin and Perry

Post by Zebraman »

It's a big decision! Sigurdsson has not played at all in this pre-season but is such a key player for the Swans that he may well be risked. If so, Fer may add some height to the defensive midfield alongside Cork at the expense of Leon, being that they are away from home.

FootballWriter1
Wideboy

Swansea full-back Angel Rangel has signed a one-year contract extension which will keep him at the Liberty Stadium until the summer of 2018.

FootballWriter1
Wideboy

Andre Ayew - A fee of £20m has been agreed with West Ham United. We are told the medical is done and personal terms have been agreed. A formal announcement is expected soon. - Sky Sports

FootballWriter1
Wideboy

Very sad news for Swansea fans as the club has agreed with Everton for captain Ashely Williams. Transfer will cost £12m.

Swansea have agreed a club record £15m transfer fee for Atletico Madrid striker Borja Baston, according to Sky sources.

FootballWriter1
Wideboy

Former Everton striker Landon Donovan has revealed that he is currently working in an advisory role at Swansea City.

Beerfuelledman
FISO Knight

Post by Beerfuelledman »

We're beginning to stray a little outside the topic of expected line ups now...

bhavishya222
Kevin and Perry

Post by bhavishya222 »

Can we expect amat to start now

hancockjr
Dumbledore
FS Record: FPL: Not as good as it was, but still very respectable.

Post by hancockjr »

Ask Landon

FootballWriter1
Wideboy

Francesco Guidolin says a central defender is the only signing Swansea need after completing a deal for striker Borja Baston.

Dayster
Kevin and Perry

Post by Dayster »

But will Amat play???

admin
FISO Administrator
FS Record: Won TFFO, 2nd/3rd TFF, Won BFF, Won FLGolf

Post by admin »

So based on the above and comments on SkySports, it looks like Sigurdsson will start from the bench today. Amat could well start at CB in place of Ashley Williams after his departure to Everton. Llorente to lead the line. Not an easy line-up to call.

FootballWriter1
Wideboy

Premier League : Game 1 - Burnley vs Swansea 0-1 (Fer 82')

jacksosi
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: TFF : 87th 06/07 ; FPL 1401st 08/09 ; 5AS champions 21/22 🔫🍸

Post by jacksosi »

Which is more likely to play this week, Kingsley or Amat?

I have both, don't know which to bench

Beerfuelledman
FISO Knight

Post by Beerfuelledman »

Amat. Guidolin states Taylor is unlikely to start (so Kingsley). No news on Amat. (So Kingsley).

jacksosi
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: TFF : 87th 06/07 ; FPL 1401st 08/09 ; 5AS champions 21/22 🔫🍸

Post by jacksosi »

Merci

morganb
FISO Knight
FS Record: Fantasy Advent Calendar 2012 Winner; The FISODAS Cup - Season 22 Winner; Ralfbergs EPL prediction game 2013/14 winner; FISO Goals 2022

Post by morganb »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/37125533
Wales defender Neil Taylor will also be absent from the starting XI as he has dropped behind Scotland's Stephen Kingsley in the pecking order.

Guidolin has warned Taylor - who played every minute of Wales' Euro 2016 campaign - he has a battle to get his place back in the starting XI.

admin
FISO Administrator
FS Record: Won TFFO, 2nd/3rd TFF, Won BFF, Won FLGolf

Post by admin »

Line-up in only 1 of 2 clean sheets in the opening set of matches was:

L Fabianski, K Naughton, F Fernandez yellow card, J Amat yellow card, S Kingsley, L Fer, J Cork, L Britton (G Sigurdsson, 60), W Routledge (A Rangel, 87), M Barrow (J Montero, 64), F Llorente

Subs not used: N Dyer, M van der Hoorn, K Nordfeldt, J Fulton

Sigurdsson ought to get a start in place of Britton after the extra rest from Euro 2016 but otherwise likely to be unchanged. New striker Borja Baston still out with thigh injury. Ki back from Rio.

SPR
Dumbledore

Post by SPR »

If Kingsley became a regular, he'd be a nice enabler.

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Reports on Expected EPL Team Line-Ups”