To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Good new albums 2020

A forum for discussion on Music topics whatever your taste.
unc.si.
FISO Knight
FS Record: 'Loser' by Beck

Good new albums 2020

Post by unc.si. »

So what new albums are you loving at the moment (new being 2020).

Best so far for me is Grimes, Miss Anthropocene.
Electronic/dance ish. If you like FKA Twigs, Bjork, Kate Bush, Cocteau Twins then give it a listen.

Also liking Pigs pigs pigs pigs pigs pigs pigs ( or Pigs x7) viscerals. Old school hard rock. Think Sabbath crossed with Royal blood or idles. Unpretentious rock. Turn the amp up to 11.

quizking
Grumpy Old Man
Location: quizking towers, primrose hill; and running the shop at https://www.quizking.net/

Re: Good new albums 2020

Post by quizking »

As mentioned on the drinking thread, i like pigs x 7 too. Moses Boyd - Dark matter (Jazz) and there's a mini soundtrack album by Susanne Sundfor, which has one especially gorgeous track. Album of the year so far though is the new Laura Marling, have played it at least once every day so far since it came out on friday.

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

Been a while since The Cocteau's had a mention here....

unc.si.
FISO Knight

Post by unc.si. »

quizking wrote: 13 Apr 2020, 19:19 As mentioned on the drinking thread, i like pigs x 7 too. Moses Boyd - Dark matter (Jazz) and there's a mini soundtrack album by Susanne Sundfor, which has one especially gorgeous track. Album of the year so far though is the new Laura Marling, have played it at least once every day so far since it came out on friday.
Actually that post inspired me to start this thread. Obviously I’m at home a bit more than usual at the moment so on the lookout for good new music.

Listened to Laura Marling once so far. Definitely promising but needs a couple more listens to make my mind up

Surprised
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: TFFOSM MotW in 2008 and MotM in 2003. 78th overall in TFFO for 2002/3 and 2003/4

Post by Surprised »

unc.si. wrote: 13 Apr 2020, 19:14 So what new albums are you loving at the moment (new being 2020).

Best so far for me is Grimes, Miss Anthropocene.
Electronic/dance ish. If you like FKA Twigs, Bjork, Kate Bush, Cocteau Twins then give it a listen.

Also liking Pigs pigs pigs pigs pigs pigs pigs ( or Pigs x7) viscerals. Old school hard rock. Think Sabbath crossed with Royal blood or idles. Unpretentious rock. Turn the amp up to 11.
Quite like what I've heard of Grimes so far.

quizking
Grumpy Old Man
Location: quizking towers, primrose hill; and running the shop at https://www.quizking.net/

Post by quizking »

Here's the latest "besteveralbums" poll of 2020 so far (with which i disagree, don't like tame impala, but grimes is up there)

https://www.besteveralbums.com/yearstats.php?y=2020

and the Rateyourmusic 2020 list so far, which is a bit esoteric even for me, and i follow some of this stuff!

https://rateyourmusic.com/customchart?p ... countries=

Laura Marling already up to number 52 though after just a few days.

bspittles
Dumbledore

Post by bspittles »

New albums expected shortly from Polly Scattergood, Otis Gibbs, Against Me! and Lucy Spraggan. I don’t really understand why they have delayed release due to Covid 19, I would have thought a captive audience was more enticing!

murf
FISO Viscount
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.

Post by murf »

bspittles wrote:New albums expected shortly from Polly Scattergood, Otis Gibbs, Against Me! and Lucy Spraggan. I don’t really understand why they have delayed release due to Covid 19, I would have thought a captive audience was more enticing!
Laura Marling brought hers out early for that reason. Physical sales will be poor and can't tour to support it but other than that we all want something to occupy our lives!

PS I think LM's might be the first 2020 album I have got!

bluenosey
Dumblenose
FS Record: FISO Goals Champ 2018/19 & 2019/20

Post by bluenosey »

I see The Strokes have a new album out, any good ?

unc.si.
FISO Knight

Post by unc.si. »

Kelly Lee Owens new album landed the other day and getting a fair bit of play. Very chilled out electronic vibe.
also just got Angel Olsen's new album, Whole New Mess, which is mainly sparse demo style versions of the songs from All Mirrors. I actually prefer these versions to the All Mirrors ones.

I think 2 of the best albums of the year so far.

Fontaines DC's second album is worth a listen as well. Takes a couple of listens, unlike Dogrel, but its really growing on me.

I also picked up the Dry Demo's album last week (PJ Harvey). They're re-issuing their whole back catalogue on vinyl, including the demo's.
A bit like the 4 track demo version of Rid of Me there are some that work better in the demo version, and some that were improved on the final album. But its one of the best albums of the 1990's in any event, so they're pretty much all excellent :-)

I've got Idles new album on order - 25th September. Ultra Mono. Definitely looking forward to Mr Postie bringing me that one.

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

Dry Demos? Hadn't heard of that.....

unc.si.
FISO Knight

Post by unc.si. »

they're re-releasing the 4 track demo's album as well (Rid of Me) but then that was pretty widely available at the time. Apparently Dry Demo's was issued as a bonus disc at some point, but now re-issued (and on spotify as well I presume)

not sure if they're releasing any more demo albums, but they seem to be re-issuing the whole back catalogue so possible.

unc.si.
FISO Knight

Post by unc.si. »

quizking wrote: 13 Apr 2020, 19:19 As mentioned on the drinking thread, i like pigs x 7 too. Moses Boyd - Dark matter (Jazz) and there's a mini soundtrack album by Susanne Sundfor, which has one especially gorgeous track. Album of the year so far though is the new Laura Marling, have played it at least once every day so far since it came out on friday.
Laura Marling took a bit longer to grow on me but definitely now one of my albums of the year.

she's playing a gig at the Albert Hall at the end of September. Think its going to be live on BBC4, so definitely worth taping.

On the subject of Laura's, I've watched a few Laura Cantrell facebook livestreams over the last few months. Just her and a guitar from her flat in NYC - they're well worth a watch if you're into that sort of thing. I mean they're not for thrash metal fans, but she is exceptionally talented.

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

To Bring You My Love demos out on Friday.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bring-You-My-L ... 688&sr=8-3

PS Whoever does the artwork for these demos seems to have a fetish for semi-nude pics of Polly.....

quizking
Grumpy Old Man

Post by quizking »

unc.si. wrote: 06 Sep 2020, 10:33
Laura Marling took a bit longer to grow on me but definitely now one of my albums of the year.

she's playing a gig at the Albert Hall at the end of September. Think its going to be live on BBC4, so definitely worth taping.
The Laura Marling prom is on BBC4 tonight, 8pm - i've been out and about doing live gigs for a few weeks already and will indeed be out at work this evening, so will catch up on the red button later.

unc.si.
FISO Knight

Post by unc.si. »

Glad to hear you’re getting some more live work again Steve.
Glad you mentioned it was tonight as well! Taping it now (well, no actual ‘tape’ involved, but I’m recording it).

unc.si.
FISO Knight

Post by unc.si. »

Listened to some of the Laura Marling prom.
Thought it was excellent. A bit odd without an audience, although she doesn’t strike me as someone who interacts with the audience a lot to be honest.
She is exceptionally good.

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

Watching some of it now.

All very weird with spaced strings and no audience. Not sure the ensemble are adding much (like her guitar), it is all about her voice. Very solid performance but a bit uninvolving. I'm not dragged in and my attention wanders a bit.

Just lacks that certain something, I do like it but it doesn't hook me like the very similar early work of Suzanne Vega for example.

PS Edith Bowman? Has she decided to go for the look of a mad 80 year old woman who lives surrounded by 90 cats?

unc.si.
FISO Knight

Post by unc.si. »

murf wrote: 06 Sep 2020, 13:19 To Bring You My Love demos out on Friday.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bring-You-My-L ... 688&sr=8-3

PS Whoever does the artwork for these demos seems to have a fetish for semi-nude pics of Polly.....
just ordered it so will give it a listen later in the week.

Been listening to Idles new album, Ultra Mono a fair bit. Its pretty good for rowing to, but I'm not sure it'll go down as a classic. More Citizen Smith than Citizen Kane. Paid Salvation - debut album from A Swayze and the Ghosts blows it out of the water if I'm honest.

Other than that, Illuminati Hotties, Free IH is possibly a contender for album of the year, despite being recorded in a couple of weeks as part of a deal to get out of her record contract.

and Pixies have a new song coming out. from the Eyrie sessions so doesn't mean there's a new album on the way, but still - a new Pixies song is always worth a listen.
Listened to the A side (Paz singing - seems pretty good) but can't wait to hear their cover of Mambo Sun, which isn't available until the release date.

wahine
Grumpy Cat
FS Record: Your life does not get
better by chance, it gets
better by change. JR.
♀️

Post by wahine »

Album - not yet😀 but a patriotic plug for young Harper Finn (yep Tim's Son) just released single Dance Away These Days

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Music”