To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Gig ticket prices

A forum for discussion on Music topics whatever your taste.
llama
Grumpy Old Man

Gig ticket prices

Post by llama »

I tried to get tickets today for one of Metallica's upcoming shows at the 02 arena.

£98 a ticket :shock:

That's just standard entry. If you want the upgraded tickets (fenced off area at the front) you will be paying £340 a ticket. :shock: :shock:

Surely they are taking the piss.

Some other shows I will be attending next month for comparison:

Lonely the Brave at the Portsmouth Pyramids - £18
Future Islands at the Brighton Dome - £22
Deftones at London Alexandra Palace - £36

How much are you guys prepared to pay to watch a live band?

Metallica tickets sold out in under an hour by the way.

Spinynorman
FISO Jedi Fish
FS Record: Under Ordinary

Re: Gig ticket prices

Post by Spinynorman »

Very rarely pay more than £15 unless it's a festival. This of course may be reflective of what I listen to. :mrgreen:

Would occasionally consider up to £25 for a classical gig.

hancockjr
Dumbledore
FS Record: FPL: Not as good as it was, but still very respectable.

Post by hancockjr »

Is lady ga ga joining them again?

Moist von Lipwig
FISO Knight
FS Record: FPL Spring 16 Winner 2010-11. Murfs F1 Predictions 2012 Winner. Pick Quick 2012-13 Winner. SP4s Predictions League A & Champions League

Post by Moist von Lipwig »

Got tickets for Manchester on the 28th. £85 + £9 booking fee. It's over the top and the booking fee is taking the piss. The only reason I'm going is they're pretty much the one metal band I've never seen and probably won't get the chance to again. (And the family will be stumping up for the ticket as a birthday present).

Turned down a Maiden ticket for £72 when they came out, way over the top and didn't feel the need for a band I've seen half a dozen times. Anthrax last month was £35 Inc fees.

Moist von Lipwig
FISO Knight
FS Record: FPL Spring 16 Winner 2010-11. Murfs F1 Predictions 2012 Winner. Pick Quick 2012-13 Winner. SP4s Predictions League A & Champions League

Post by Moist von Lipwig »

And on a side note, there were two presales this week that required pre registration for. Didn't get anywhere near those tickets, yet blocks of them were on ticketmaster that day for £179 and viagogo for £351.

bluenosey
Dumblenose
FS Record: FISO Goals Champ 2018/19 & 2019/20

Post by bluenosey »

I haven't been to a proper gig since the late 90s. Last proper festival was V2012 to see the Stone Roses so I've lost touch with the prices.

However, my work colleague is going to see U2 in Twickenham and it's costing over £300. She is also going to see Depeche Mode, somewhere, and that's also costing a small fortune. Her son recently went to see Drake*. I think that cost about £180. So costs are high these days. It's a far cry from the £9 I paid to see Blur supported by Pulp back in 94. Most gigs back then were between around £7 and £10. I recall at the NME Bratbus tours you got to see about four bands for a fiver. Even looking though rose tinted spectacles, it does seem better value,

*This resulted in quite an interesting debate in the office. I explained that these days, artists make very little from record/CD sales because you lot (pointing at the youth :wink: pay nothing for your music). They admitted it, didn't see any wrong in it so I said artists have to make their money somehow and that's how it is. It gets lumped onto the ticket price. Interestingly, some of the youngsters have recently started to pay for bits of music as they have brought the next big thing - a record player :D In fact I have had to give some advice and felt like a right old fossil explaining the difference between 33 and 45 rpm and so on :lol: Mind you, new vinyl ain't cheap at all and it's gone full circle, in that vinyl is now much more expensive than CDs :? . A total opposite to 25 years ago.

I think if you're going to see an "established" act, be it a Metallica, U2 or DM, expect to pay a price :(

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

I think £75 for someone like Radiohead who'll play 2hrs+ is justified (although a little unpalatable).
Weren't the Roses something similar?

A newish band/artist £20-£30
I think £40-£50 for an established band/artist is justified.
£75-£100 for a big name.

The sorts of prices being charged to see the likes of U2 (and that metallica price) is taking the pi$$ a bit.
You could argue they are amongst the biggest artists in the world right now (like them or not).

How much does Springsteen charge? You get three hours of show, so arguably its worth it.

Some of my recent purchases that I can remember (find confirmation emails for):
Prices include booking fees AND transaction fees
Charlotte Church £15.50
Michael Kiwanuka £20.50
Richard Ashcroft £50.75
David Gilmour £68.80
Radiohead £82.50
Stone Roses £82.88
Blue Dot Festival £141

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: FISODAS Champion Season 34!

Post by forestfan »

Going to a big stadium gig is equivalent to going to a cup final, Ashes Test match, boxing title fight etc... you have to expect the ticket prices to be in the same ballpark. The resale thing is ridiculous though, tickets should be named and ID'd (as I believe they do for things like Glastonbury) to get rid of the tout market.

Spinynorman
FISO Jedi Fish
FS Record: Under Ordinary

Post by Spinynorman »

You can get a ticket for a legend such as Martin Carthy for £18. Of course if you don't know who he is then you may not consider him a legend.

mike_d99
Grumpy Old Man
Location: cut down like a vegetable by your hard kickin mother who's an animal
FS Record: 269th TFF 08/09, 11th TFFO 08/09, 49th TFFE 08/09, 50th Elephant 10/11, 92nd Sky Sports 10/11

Post by mike_d99 »

Anything over £40 is taking the piss. I go to two or three gigs a year now, just can't stomach the cost.

That said, I did pay £74 to go and see Muse a while back. It went against the grain a bit, but at least you can understand why the costs might be high - the visuals are jaw-dropping. I also paid £65 to see the Pixies recently, but that was off a touting site. They're a band I'll never miss a chance to go and see.

£100+ for a gig though? Wouldn't go and see anyone, anywhere, under any circumstances, for that amount of money. Then there's the booking fee rip-off as well. Let's charge people a tenner for using our website!

The only way it will stop is if people stop allowing it to happen and don't buy the tickets. Gigs actually make the cost of attending football seem reasonable.

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Music”