To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

First gig.

A forum for discussion on Music topics whatever your taste.
blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Re: RE: Re: First gig.

Post by blahblah »

murf wrote:
blahblah wrote:The Teardrop Explodes in '81/2, and the erratic Cope is still a hero..

A thing in Sefton Park in the late 80's and still pi55ed that I didn't hit Glastonbury in 88 or 89 when the Waterboys rocked it big style. (They were shockingly good live until Mike went really god squaddie.)

I also sat thru Val Image at my parents behest during the last and worst family holiday in early 80's.
Waterboys was 86. I saw them the same weekend elsewhere (MK Bowl supporting Simple Minds amongst others). That was only my second gig after seeing U2 there the year before with a rather poor supporting bill including REM, The Ramones and Billy Bragg. Shame it rained at times, a big favtor at big outdoor gigs.
I saw the Waterboys in Lpool in the winter of 85\6 - loads of Liverpool\Beatles tunes in between their stuff. Red Army Blues.... they should have been HUGE.

My aged memory says 88\9 for when they rocked Glastonbury with a sunny early morning going back to my flat and the wing mirror of a white van cracking my wrist as I "YO'ed" a cab on the other side of Upper Parliament St the day after my birthday.

Spinynorman
FISO Jedi Fish
FS Record: Under Ordinary

Post by Spinynorman »

murf wrote:
That was only my second gig after seeing U2 there the year before with a rather poor supporting bill including REM, The Ramones and Billy Bragg. Shame it rained at times, a big favtor at big outdoor gigs.
I was there as well. :)

It was The Longest Day gig in 1985 and it was indeed a muddy one.

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

Spinynorman wrote:
murf wrote:
That was only my second gig after seeing U2 there the year before with a rather poor supporting bill including REM, The Ramones and Billy Bragg. Shame it rained at times, a big favtor at big outdoor gigs.
I was there as well. :)

It was The Longest Day gig in 1985 and it was indeed a muddy one.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

I got dragged to a Ramones gig, as I wasn't a huge fan of their vinyl, but they were really good live.

I was never "into" REM and even less so after being told something (which I won't post publicly).

Latic
FISO Knight
FS Record: Minor past glories. Back for 2021!

Re: First gig.

Post by Latic »

Maine Road 1991

Simple Minds

Supported by Voice of the Beehive, OMD (don't know what the lead singer was on but I wanted some) and the Stranglers (who were totally shit). Simple Minds rocked :)

llama
Grumpy Old Man

Post by llama »

Green Day at the Brixton Acadamy. January 1998 - I was 16.

Me and a few mates bunked off school for it. Jumped on a train to London from Portsmouth. As soon we stepped off the train in Waterloo we bumped into our school teacher who was In London for a meeting. Que detentions for the lot of us :lol:

jimwinn
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: nah

Post by jimwinn »

Hmmm

Whitesnake at Bradford St George's Hall

2/7/1980

Not very cool

RomynPG
Dumbledore
FS Record: FPL 134 overall 06/07 ... never close since

Post by RomynPG »

First - Public Image Limited in 83 - the age of superglue-tipped mohicans - at St Austell
Mix of PiL original and Pistols stuff ... seeing Anarchy in the UK/Pretty Vacant etc performed by Lydon was a treat... still a fan of his.

Best - by far - was Prince (Lovesexy tour) at Wembley Arena in 88.
When the 2nd encore (according to wiki) is songs 25-28 - Let's Go Crazy,When Doves Cry, Purple Rain, 1999 - I mean ... it was just incredible.

Knulpuk
Dumbledore
FS Record: Ultra ultra consistent (see above)

Post by Knulpuk »

The clash in their first ever gig some smoky bar in Camden*

* Not true Tears for Fears at Portsmouth Guildhall in 1983 promoting the newly released "Hurting".

unc.si.
FISO Knight
FS Record: 'Loser' by Beck

Post by unc.si. »

MikeG's not been around for a while but he'd always blow everyone away on threads like this with tales of legendary bands at legendary venues. Pretty sure he's seen Bob Marley, Hendrix, the Who, Stones, the Clash etc.

Spinynorman
FISO Jedi Fish

Post by Spinynorman »

unc.si. wrote:MikeG's not been around for a while but he'd always blow everyone away on threads like this with tales of legendary bands at legendary venues. Pretty sure he's seen Bob Marley, Hendrix, the Who, Stones, the Clash etc.
Don't we also have somebody on the board who saw The Beatles?

Surprised
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: TFFOSM MotW in 2008 and MotM in 2003. 78th overall in TFFO for 2002/3 and 2003/4

Post by Surprised »

Showaddywaddy,1974, Birmingham

murf
FISO Viscount
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.

Post by murf »

unc.si. wrote:Surprised's not been around for a while but he'd always blow everyone away on threads like this with tales of legendary bands at legendary venues......
Surprised wrote:Showaddywaddy,1974, Birmingham

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

Spinynorman wrote:
unc.si. wrote:MikeG's not been around for a while but he'd always blow everyone away on threads like this with tales of legendary bands at legendary venues. Pretty sure he's seen Bob Marley, Hendrix, the Who, Stones, the Clash etc.
paisleypark is loosely in that industry (retail rather than promotion) but i think he's reasonably connected because of it and he's ancient enough to have seen the Quarrymen.

Spinynorman
FISO Jedi Fish

Post by Spinynorman »

Zimmerman wrote:
Spinynorman wrote:
paisleypark is loosely in that industry (retail rather than promotion) but i think he's reasonably connected because of it and he's ancient enough to have seen the Quarrymen.
That's the man I was thinking of, thanks for the reminder. :)

Surprised
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: TFFOSM MotW in 2008 and MotM in 2003. 78th overall in TFFO for 2002/3 and 2003/4

Post by Surprised »

murf wrote:
unc.si. wrote:Surprised's not been around for a while but he'd always blow everyone away on threads like this with tales of legendary bands at legendary venues......

You are just envious that you missed it

murf
FISO Viscount
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: First gig.

Post by murf »

Surprised wrote:
murf wrote:

I probably would have been in 1974!

(Being young then I hadn't learnt how bad the Brummie accent was and so learnt to avoid the place!)

waynebo
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Midfield Master Picker TW3 winner 2016

Post by waynebo »

First ever gig was metal band WASP in the Ulster hall in belfast 1989

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

unc.si.
FISO Knight

Post by unc.si. »

Surprised wrote:
murf wrote:

You know I may have been there as well. Parents took me to see Showaddywaddy in Birmingham at about that time. Could have been the Bay City Rollers but pretty sure it was Showaddawaddy. Almost no memory of it at all though (I'd have been about 6).

unc.si.
FISO Knight

Post by unc.si. »

waynebo wrote:First ever gig was metal band WASP in the Ulster hall in belfast 1989

Remember playing 'eff like a beast' at full volume in the back of the minibus on a school kayaking trip in about '86/7 just to wind up the teachers :D

waynebo
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Midfield Master Picker TW3 winner 2016

Post by waynebo »

unc.si. wrote:
waynebo wrote:First ever gig was metal band WASP in the Ulster hall in belfast 1989

Remember playing 'eff like a beast' at full volume in the back of the minibus on a school kayaking trip in about '86/7 just to wind up the teachers :D
Blackie lawless had some voice lol

Moist von Lipwig
FISO Knight
FS Record: FPL Spring 16 Winner 2010-11. Murfs F1 Predictions 2012 Winner. Pick Quick 2012-13 Winner. SP4s Predictions League A & Champions League

Post by Moist von Lipwig »

WASP on that tour at Newcastle City Hall was my 2nd ever gig! Just looked up the dates, Belfast was 8th May, Newcastle was the 17th.

First ever gig was 2 months earlier (I remember it was red nose day and they came onstage wearing them) also at Newcastle City Hall, Anthrax, supported by Living Colour. Caught a drumstick chucked by Charlie Benanti that I still have in a box somewhere.

Living Colour's (still going I believe) guitarist, Vernon Reid one of the best I've seen and I've just recalled the singer is in the film Platoon.

Moist von Lipwig
FISO Knight
FS Record: FPL Spring 16 Winner 2010-11. Murfs F1 Predictions 2012 Winner. Pick Quick 2012-13 Winner. SP4s Predictions League A & Champions League

Post by Moist von Lipwig »

unc.si. wrote:
I've still got that on picture disc!

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Music”