To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Who? Err, mmm, yeah - s'good - "WEMYS"

A forum for discussion on Music topics whatever your taste.
Knulpuk
Dumbledore
FS Record: Ultra ultra consistent (see above)

Who? Err, mmm, yeah - s'good - "WEMYS"

Post by Knulpuk »

So bands / musicians you are probably sure most people have not heard of but you constantly wonder why not - lets share some hidden love :D

Kelley Stoltz (its a playlist so just dip into the 1st three - see where you get to from there)

John Fullbright

the Pernice Brothers

Come on FISO - hit me

fancy dan
Grumpy Old Dan
Location: Having a secret meeting in the basement of my brain
FS Record: Winner of S4's big WC prediction game - and 2-time winner of the Premier League A game!

Re: Who? Err, mmm, yeah - s'good - "WEMYS"

Post by fancy dan »

Nice one, knulpuk. I think I'd heard the name Kelley Stoltz but assumed it was an Avril Lavigne-type 'punky' female - not sure why :oops:

I was aware of the Pernice Brothers, but never really listened to them - sound quite Teenage Fanclub-y. Actually, Joe Pernice has just recorded an album with Norman Blake of the Fannies under the name of The New Mendicants, which is really nice.

My top WEMYS would be Micah P Hinson, who has been producing albums of beatifully crafted low-key Americana for about 8 years to widespread indifference:

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

I think I bought several Micah albums a while back... Possibly off your recommendation. Never quite got into them (but didn't give them a huge chance, I'll revisit).

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

I'm not sure how well known these are, but I really like them (do a great cover of house of the rising sun)

Be Good Tanyas

murf
FISO Viscount
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.

Post by murf »

There's a band called Coldplay that have a new album out soon...

unc.si.
FISO Knight
FS Record: 'Loser' by Beck

Post by unc.si. »

The mighty Stef are worth checking out

em9999
Dumbledore
FS Record: Finished 23rd suns 2010 world cup game. Finished 2302 overall in The Suns Premier League game

Post by em9999 »

Carter USM the most under-rated and talented bands the UK has ever produced .. Lyrically untouchable

unc.si.
FISO Knight
FS Record: 'Loser' by Beck

Post by unc.si. »

em9999 wrote:Carter USM the most under-rated and talented bands the UK has ever produced .. Lyrically untouchable
101 Damnations was the first CD I ever bought. Didn't even have a cd player at the time. Next stop was an electrical shop to buy a CD deck :lol:

Are they still going? Saw them at Rock City in Nottingham and I think at the Powerhouse in Brum in the early 90's. Great live. Pretty well known though surely?

em9999
Dumbledore
FS Record: Finished 23rd suns 2010 world cup game. Finished 2302 overall in The Suns Premier League game

Post by em9999 »

unc.si. wrote:
em9999 wrote:Carter USM the most under-rated and talented bands the UK has ever produced .. Lyrically untouchable
101 Damnations was the first CD I ever bought. Didn't even have a cd player at the time. Next stop was an electrical shop to buy a CD deck :lol:

Are they still going? Saw them at Rock City in Nottingham and I think at the Powerhouse in Brum in the early 90's. Great live. Pretty well known though surely?
Not as well known as they should have been..They are headlining the bearded theory (May 23rd) in Derby and then the last shows ever at Shepherds Bush Empire and London Brixton Academy in November 21st and 22nd both o which sold out in the first ten mins of going on sale

Last edited by em9999 on 20 Mar 2014, 23:37, edited 3 times in total.

hancockjr
Dumbledore
FS Record: FPL: Not as good as it was, but still very respectable.

Post by hancockjr »

unc.si. wrote:

Thye were fantastic but like most bands got a bit rubbish after a while. 2 great albums (Damnations and 30 something), the love album was good and the next 2 rubbish. Assumed the rest are too. Split in 1998.

em9999
Dumbledore

Post by em9999 »

Worry Bomb and Post Historic Monsters are great albums so they certainly didn't go rubbish.

I blame the Government was a awful album bar Girls Can Keep A Secret

and World Without Dave was a mellow Carter and a great album but when they played it live they got bottles chucked at them (hence they split up) people couldn't accept they wanted to change as a band and they got sick of the you fat bustard chants

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

Not sure Carter fulfill the mission statement for this thread?

Tricky Tree
FISO Knight

Post by Tricky Tree »

Zimmerman wrote:Not sure Carter fulfill the mission statement for this thread?
You mean due to the fact everyone has heard of them :wink:

Liked Micah p Hinson and Pernice brothers of those listened to so far, a few more to go.

Keep them coming

fancy dan
Grumpy Old Dan
FS Record: Winner of S4's big WC prediction game - and 2-time winner of the Premier League A game!

Post by fancy dan »

Ooh, ooh - listening to the Mighty Stef (nice one unc :D ) reminded me of the mysteriously little-known Murder By Death, wo peddle a similar-sounding dirty Americana:

fancy dan
Grumpy Old Dan

Post by fancy dan »

Zimmerman wrote:I'm not sure how well known these are, but I really like them (do a great cover of house of the rising sun)

Be Good Tanyas

Did you know that's a cover of a Townes Van Zandt song? He's probably worth a mention here, as although his reputation has grown recently thanks to covers by the likes of Tindersticks, Steve Earle and Cowboy Junkies, he's still relatively little-know, for one of the best songwriters ever:

Knulpuk
Dumbledore

Post by Knulpuk »

looking forward to a few of these (well all of these).

I guess Carter USM were quite well known but maybe not so today - the albums seem to have faded disproportionally to how popular they seemed at their time.

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

Knew it was a cover but didn't know who by.

Will check him out. Cheers.

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

Heard this this afternoon, thought it was amazing. Sadly only has an EP out at the moment;

higgins waterproof black magic band

Knulpuk
Dumbledore

Post by Knulpuk »

Saw Jesse on Sunday night in what might be the last gig for a while - anyhow - upbeat and quite joyful, just what we need

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Music”