To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Vista SP1

A forum for discussion on Science and Information Technology matters and queries (including PCs, the Internet, TVs, Mobile Phones, Ipods and other gadgets).
Surprised
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: TFFOSM MotW in 2008 and MotM in 2003. 78th overall in TFFO for 2002/3 and 2003/4

Vista SP1

Post by Surprised »

Anyone installed SP1 for Vista yet?

If so has it all gone smoothly and can you see any performance improvements?

I have Windows Updateto automatically download and install updates . It does so for every other update but for SP1 it just tells me it is available to download and install......I'm not too sure why it won't install automatically so i'm a bit reluctant to install

snout
FISO Knight
FS Record: a slice of that cake, over there

Post by snout »

Actually a tought call. SP1 is much needed to cure many bugs in wireless networking but it is still quite new.

There were some reports of endless reboots but MS have fixed these now - http://www.webpronews.com/topnews/2008/ ... -sp1-issue

Since Microsoft is not automatically pushing SP1 to users yet I would advise caution for the moment - http://www.techzonez.com//comments.php?shownews=23609

This links to a discussion of the visible changes in SP1 - http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/windo ... ows/?p=662

Surprised
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: TFFOSM MotW in 2008 and MotM in 2003. 78th overall in TFFO for 2002/3 and 2003/4

Post by Surprised »

thanks for the links. I will leave it until Microsoft does automatic updating on SP1
One of my problems at the moment is wireless networking. I can stay connected to my wireless modem for days but if i use the internet it disconnects after a short while and the only way i can reconnect is to reboot the modem. This may be a configuration thing tho. Its all set up with 64 bit WEP encyrption and is secure.

garypallister
FISOhead

Post by garypallister »

sp1 works fine for here, got the auto update as soon as I updated all drivers (guess it varies from system to system)
file copying and wakeup from sleep is much improved.

did a clean install + sp1 a week ago, its like getting a new computer ;)

and about that connection problem, im sure u allready know, but make sure u never use more than one controller for your wireless connection as they will conflict and break each other.

Surprised
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Surprised »

garypallister wrote:sp1 works fine for here, got the auto update as soon as I updated all drivers (guess it varies from system to system)

and about that connection problem, im sure u allready know, but make sure u never use more than one controller for your wireless connection as they will conflict and break each other.
what do you mean by more than one controller?
I have my wireless card and bluetooth on all the time. Should I deactivate bluetooth until I need it?

garypallister
FISOhead

Post by garypallister »

Surprised wrote:
garypallister wrote:sp1 works fine for here, got the auto update as soon as I updated all drivers (guess it varies from system to system)

I have my wireless card and bluetooth on all the time. Should I deactivate bluetooth until I need it?
I meant only for wireless.
depending on what computer you buy (dell, hp, lenovo...) , they will almost always come with a custom application that wants to manage your connections (alongside windows' wireless manager)

it is best to get rid of these , and let Windows control the connection by itself.
not saying this will solve your problem, but it it has solved many problems for me ;)

http://www.ezlan.net/wzc.html

Surprised
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Surprised »

garypallister wrote:
Surprised wrote:

I meant only for wireless.
depending on what computer you buy (dell, hp, lenovo...) , they will almost always come with a custom application that wants to manage your connections (alongside windows' wireless manager)

it is best to get rid of these , and let Windows control the connection by itself.
not saying this will solve your problem, but it it has solved many problems for me ;)

http://www.ezlan.net/wzc.html
it looks like windows is managing the connection (WLAN Autoconfig in vista?) but i have no idea if the hp device 9 i have a hp laptop) is also managing it as i dont know how to find this out (im not wireless literate!)

Marquee_Mark
Dumbledore
FS Record: FPL - not in the top 10

Post by Marquee_Mark »

Just installed SP1 myself by goin to the M$ site, so will post back when I've given it few days.

Beerfuelledman
FISO Knight
FS Record: FISO 17/18 FPL Cash Draft League Winner

Post by Beerfuelledman »

Many of the magazines coming with videos on board from the magazines seem to only work with XP. It would be nice if SP1 fixed this compatibility error.

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Science, Computers & Technology (e.g. PCs, Web, TVs, Mobiles, Ipods, Gadgets)”