To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

BitCoin

A forum for discussion on Science and Information Technology matters and queries (including PCs, the Internet, TVs, Mobile Phones, Ipods and other gadgets).
Finsimbo
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: If only there was a record

Re: BitCoin

Post by Finsimbo »

Surprised wrote: 15 Nov 2017, 08:13 Bitcoin is not an investment. An investment is putting money into something tangible like property, shares, gold etc.
Buying bitcoin is like currency speculation but without the fundementals
Like shares in Technology? Granted you have Hardware tech and Software Tech.

Explain the difference?

Would you had bought shares in Fb when it started off? And knowing where it is now because it wasn't tangible?

The fundamentals are there in the idea of the fact that it removes a layer in the supply chain. A very costly layer to someone like Amazon and a very cheap/realistic alternative to a small trader from anywhere around the world, single currency. All it takes is someone like Amazon to pick up on it and the share price will rocket for which ever coin is used or cryptocurrency in general

On TV last night there was an ad which said it would take BitCoins as payment. That was the first TV ad I have seen mentioning BitCoin and said advert had nothing to do with technology. Just saying.....

Striker
FISO Knight

Post by Striker »

Finsimbo wrote: 15 Nov 2017, 13:43 Would you had bought shares in Fb when it started off? And knowing where it is now because it wasn't tangible.

Unlike Bitcoin, Facebook was always tangible. We knew who owned Facebook, we knew the responsibilities of the top executives, we knew that they attracted a lot of people to their site and that they planned both to fund the provision of the service to its users and to generate profits by selling advertising.

Finsimbo
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Finsimbo »

Striker wrote: 15 Nov 2017, 15:48
Finsimbo wrote: 15 Nov 2017, 13:43 Would you had bought shares in Fb when it started off? And knowing where it is now because it wasn't tangible.

Unlike Bitcoin, Facebook was always tangible. We knew who owned Facebook, we knew the responsibilities of the top executives, we knew that they attracted a lot of people to their site and that they planned both to fund the provision of the service to its users and to generate profits by selling advertising.
But before that, it was a piece of software that became popular, that is the bare bone of it. Bit Coin will become a piece of software that becomes available. Email was a piece of software that became available. Mobile phone technology was made more available to the general public.....see what I am getting at..its a piece of software that will someday be up there with FB, Amazon, Email, Mobile phone, remote storage, remote desktops remote spying and on and on....

But whatever....... :|

Finsimbo
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Finsimbo »

Finsimbo wrote: 15 Nov 2017, 16:29

But before that, it was a piece of software that became popular, that is the bare bone of it. Bit Coin will become a piece of software that becomes available. Email was a piece of software that became available. Mobile phone technology was made more available to the general public.....see what I am getting at..its a piece of software that will someday be up there with FB, Amazon, Email, Mobile phone, remote storage, remote desktops remote spying and on and on....But this software is not owned by anyone, the value comes from the usage, much like everything I have just said

But then again who would have thought of driverless cars? Is that a bit more hard to imagine? Who owns the software behind that?

unc.si.
FISO Knight
FS Record: 'Loser' by Beck

Post by unc.si. »

The really interesting part is the blockchain technology. I've heard it mentioned recently as a way of solving the mexican standoff that you get in corporate acquisitions when debt providers won't release funds until shares have been transferred, lawyers won't release shares until funds have been received and equity funds have to be held in ESCROW until shares are released and banks have released funds. Relies on legal mechanisms, ESCROW and a pinch of good faith / common practice to work, and generally causes a lot of late nights, stress and cost. Blockchain tech could potentially solve all of that. I'm sure the same could be said for house purchases or buying a car.

What the currency is is almost irrelevant (although of course there has to be one). Its the tech platform behind it that holds the real value.

Bitcoin itself is a gamblers dream. Anything with that much volatility can make you a lot of money

or.....

Striker
FISO Knight

Post by Striker »

But before that, it was a piece of software that became popular, that is the bare bone of it. Bit Coin will become a piece of software that becomes available. Email was a piece of software that became available. Mobile phone technology was made more available to the general public.....see what I am getting at..its a piece of software that will someday be up there with FB, Amazon, Email, Mobile phone, remote storage, remote desktops remote spying and on and on....

Of course I wouldn't seriously disagree with your main paragraph, but you're acting like a politician and answering a question that hasn't been asked, completely ignoring my point. In fact your "Whatever" suggests that you don't even understand it, or more likely are wilfully ignoring it. So it's time for me to sign off from this thread.

Mav3rick
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: FPL: 1082, 1201, 1800, 10203

The stats are dark and full of errors.

Post by Mav3rick »

I read a book about investors in silicon valley, and guys there would invest in 20 or more companies expecting only 1 of them to make any sort of return. The same was true at startups where people would just move from start up to start up accepting years and years of low wages in return for (mostly worthless) equity while hoping to hit the mother load with a Facebook float eventually.

The idea was driven by fear of missing the next Facebook, which being invested in would easily recoup the losses on the other 19 failed investments or lost earnings.

The issue with Finsimbo's examples is that he's picking out the 1 in 20 with hindsight as if it was obvious at the start, which it wasn't.

Crypto currencies may well be a great investment, but I'm not sure that buying bitcoins is the way to get a return, wouldn't you rather be owning shares in companies developing the tech, and with the acceptance that nobody can predict anything, you should be investing in 20 or more hoping to nail the right one.

All the bit coin promotion just gets my cynical senses tingling and makes me think of pyramid schemes if I'm honest, by the time everyone is recommending an investment the real money has usually been made.

murf
FISO Viscount
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.

Post by murf »

You aren't investing in the company Bitcoin Inc you are speculating on the 'currency'. Big difference.

It is a long way from a penny share start up so probably a good job!

Dennisthemenace
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Dennisthemenace »

unc.si. wrote: 15 Nov 2017, 16:51 Bitcoin itself is a gamblers dream. Anything with that much volatility can make you a lot of money

or.....
First rule of gambling, don't gamble more than you can afford to lose. I can afford to lose £100 or so, so worth investing? If so, which broker is best to take care of my £100 and make me a millionaire by Christmas? :D

Surprised
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: TFFOSM MotW in 2008 and MotM in 2003. 78th overall in TFFO for 2002/3 and 2003/4

Post by Surprised »

Email did not just arrive. It had people working on it and investors put money into it because they met the people and trusted they could deliver and they had mechanisms whereby they could track progress. Just like FB.
Bitcoin however has nothing.

Finsimbo
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Finsimbo »

Surprised wrote: 15 Nov 2017, 23:27 Bitcoin however has nothing.
The credibility of CME approval is actually making Wall Street take cryptocurrencies seriously.
Analyst Take:
We believe this expansion of crypto market cap could lead LTC back to $90.00 and then towards our $200.00 Litecoin price forecast. However, we are a little concerned that falling liquidity could impact that progress. We will continue to monitor the situation.
From https://www.profitconfidential.com/cryp ... y/litecoin

As Mav3rick says, there are many and he basically said what I tried in the beginning. I had been drawn to use 'BitCoin' in this thread as it's known, that wasn't my intention. Im not endorsing bitcoin, just the software behind the service and its which boat to get on as long as you don't mind loosing the money.

Me, gladly put £50 on a 'coin' and leave it.....few years it could be worth £8k ;-) then again it could be worth £5...whateva's

Bottom line for me....CC will come, but which one....that was the basics behind the thread but as it detoured I tried best to explain why I feel so strongly about it.

Finsimbo
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Finsimbo »

Striker wrote: 15 Nov 2017, 17:49 In fact your "Whatever" suggests that you don't even understand it, or more likely are wilfully ignoring it. So it's time for me to sign off from this thread.
No it suggests I'm bored or repeating over and over that CC will be big and its a question of which one.

Like me do your own research, I'm not very good in putting into words what I mean, but I roughly know what I mean ;-)

Finsimbo
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Finsimbo »

mad dog
Dumbledog
FS Record: Sky Winner 16/17

Post by mad dog »

So should I be buying £100 of bitcoin sharpish? And where from?

Striker
FISO Knight

Post by Striker »

mad dog wrote: 16 Nov 2017, 14:43 So should I be buying £100 of bitcoin sharpish? And where from?

In 1929 Joseph Kennedy said that "When the shoeshine boys talk stocks, it was a great sell signal".

So what are the shoeshine boys talking about today?

We haven't quite got their yet, as the shoeshine boys aren't yet recommending bitcoin. But yer never know.

Hope it doesn't happen as my daughter is sitting on a bitcoin profit. But not for me. I prefer the 25/1 bet that I'm holding on Might Bite in the King George.

hancockjr
Dumbledore
FS Record: FPL: Not as good as it was, but still very respectable.

Post by hancockjr »

Striker wrote: 16 Nov 2017, 17:12
mad dog wrote: 16 Nov 2017, 14:43 So should I be buying £100 of bitcoin sharpish? And where from?

In 1929 Joseph Kennedy said that "When the shoeshine boys talk stocks, it was a great sell signal".

So what are the shoeshine boys talking about today?

We haven't quite got their yet, as the shoeshine boys aren't yet recommending bitcoin. But yer never know.

Hope it doesn't happen as my daughter is sitting on a bitcoin profit. But not for me. I prefer the 25/1 investment that I'm holding on Might Bite in the King George.
Corrected for you.

Striker
FISO Knight

Post by Striker »

That's one view. But until such time as I lay it off, current prices suggest that the probability of success is still only around 27%, excluding the over-rounding. A greater than 73% chance of losing one's entire stake is in my view a bet, not an investment, unfortunately. :wink:

morganb
FISO Knight
FS Record: Fantasy Advent Calendar 2012 Winner; The FISODAS Cup - Season 22 Winner; Ralfbergs EPL prediction game 2013/14 winner; FISO Goals 2022

Post by morganb »

BitCoin covered by Martin "Money Saving Expert" Lewis:

https://blog.moneysavingexpert.com/2017 ... 1462792218

Finsimbo
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Finsimbo »

read that this morning.

saying what I have been all along.

Research, understand what it is, how it will be used in the future and only invest what you can loose.

I have not bought into bitcoin, chose another but I bought as much as I would spend on a good night out, so its bought to HODL ;-)

Mav3rick
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: FPL: 1082, 1201, 1800, 10203

The stats are dark and full of errors.

Post by Mav3rick »

Another article here from Monevator, which is a personal finance blog with a focus on passive investing:

http://monevator.com/bitcoin-bubble/

Finsimbo
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Finsimbo »

Mav3rick wrote:Another article here from Monevator, which is a personal finance blog with a focus on passive investing:

http://monevator.com/bitcoin-bubble/
And his conclusion:

"All the amazing investors I have met over the years share three traits: humility, frugality, and nerdiness.”

I nearly tick all those.

Frugality, only put in what you can afford to loose

Nerdiness, research, learn, and make your decision based on that

Humility, it's fun and not because I want a condo, because I might do better than I did in fantasy gaming. After all essentially it's fun with a possible financial reward, isn't that the basis of this website?

Striker
FISO Knight

Post by Striker »

Striker wrote: 17 Nov 2017, 00:11 That's one view. But until such time as I lay it off, current prices suggest that the probability of success is still only around 27%, excluding the over-rounding. A greater than 73% chance of losing one's entire stake is in my view a bet, not an investment, unfortunately. :wink:

Mind you Hancock, now that's it's fully layed off, it's now an investment. :wink:

hancockjr
Dumbledore
FS Record: FPL: Not as good as it was, but still very respectable.

Post by hancockjr »

Striker wrote: 07 Dec 2017, 00:24
Striker wrote: 17 Nov 2017, 00:11 That's one view. But until such time as I lay it off, current prices suggest that the probability of success is still only around 27%, excluding the over-rounding. A greater than 73% chance of losing one's entire stake is in my view a bet, not an investment, unfortunately. :wink:

Mind you Hancock, now that's it's fully layed off, it's now an investment. :wink:
You'd better declare it for tax purposes then!

sibrown4
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: TFC Lions 2nd in League of Leagues Triumph. Draft FPL/TFF Combo League Winner 2018-19

Post by sibrown4 »

Interesting development this week with prepayment Card Revolut opening up the channels to make buying crypto currencies easier and cheaper.

https://www.finextra.com/newsarticle/31 ... d-ethereum

Finsimbo
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Finsimbo »

sibrown4 wrote: 07 Dec 2017, 09:37 Interesting development this week with prepayment Card Revolut opening up the channels to make buying crypto currencies easier and cheaper.

https://www.finextra.com/newsarticle/31 ... d-ethereum

Funny that, just downloaded their app, was going to have a look, apparently much better when dealing with foreign currency, which I have to do a lot

murf
FISO Viscount
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.

Post by murf »

All the hype around Bitcoin means many are jumping on board. The very basic law of supply and demand is therefore pushing up prices. The same law tells you that as soon as more start to take their gains rather than there are latecomers trying to jumping aboard it will decrease in price. That slow decrease will then turn into a torrent as everyone realises what is happy and tries to take their gains. This is very volatile and it won't just be a 10% decrease.
Striker wrote:In 1929 Joseph Kennedy said that "When the shoeshine boys talk stocks, it was a great sell signal".
Don't wait too long for the second signal to sell on the initial downturn.

Finsimbo
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Finsimbo »

Just a few moment ago bitcoin was £100 short of £13k a coin up £2.5k from yesterday or 26.5%

:shock:

for a forecast

https://www.coinfan.net/forecasts/

Surprised
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: TFFOSM MotW in 2008 and MotM in 2003. 78th overall in TFFO for 2002/3 and 2003/4

Post by Surprised »

Steam have stopped taking Bitcoin as payment as it's too volatile

Geoffv
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: 301st overall FPL 2013-14

Post by Geoffv »

The boom in price yesterday has made the Times front page headline today. Interesting read.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/bitc ... e5c62cb88a

morganb
FISO Knight
FS Record: Fantasy Advent Calendar 2012 Winner; The FISODAS Cup - Season 22 Winner; Ralfbergs EPL prediction game 2013/14 winner; FISO Goals 2022

Post by morganb »

And there's been a robbery!

Millions 'stolen' in NiceHash Bitcoin heist - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-42275523

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Science, Computers & Technology (e.g. PCs, Web, TVs, Mobiles, Ipods, Gadgets)”