To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

BitCoin

A forum for discussion on Science and Information Technology matters and queries (including PCs, the Internet, TVs, Mobile Phones, Ipods and other gadgets).
Finsimbo
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: If only there was a record

Re: BitCoin

Post by Finsimbo »

Geoffv wrote: 08 Dec 2017, 07:03 The boom in price yesterday has made the Times front page headline today. Interesting read.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/bitc ... e5c62cb88a
maybe this....

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-bitc ... E10KC?il=0

And this.....for those thinking...

https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/commen ... ource=link

Sound advice.......from 5 months back......

And for newbies....this

https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/commen ... ease_read/

Finsimbo
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Finsimbo »

And this

https://decentralize.today/dont-fall-fo ... 42a59fce0a

dont know if any of this info is useful to anyone on here....

Going to stop spamming this thread after today....sorry in advance

Finsimbo
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Finsimbo »

Said I wouldn't come back

But...

Sitting on 125% + since I started this thread

tempted for a few more while its still doable. Could sell what I have and with the profit would buy me a few more but the more I have the more I make and lose.....Still within my comfort zone, oh decisions decisions

At the moment this is putting my time, effort and money I spent on FF to shame

Surprised
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: TFFOSM MotW in 2008 and MotM in 2003. 78th overall in TFFO for 2002/3 and 2003/4

Post by Surprised »

Just sold a single on IG spread index

Finsimbo
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Finsimbo »

For reasons that I am trying to understand the price this week on my coin, is going to go up up and away......

Goddam

Striker
FISO Knight

Post by Striker »

Surprised wrote: 11 Dec 2017, 15:02 Just sold a single on IG spread index

Even though I wouldn't buy bitcoin myself, nor would I short it, unless I understood the greed and other elements of crowd mentality, which I don't. Seems to me that the price could go anywhere before demand is satisfied, and it crashes, $20,000, $50,000, $100,000, ???

Making money from this point on will be all about timing, and when something depends on timing you shouldn't get involved unless you REALLY understand what you are dealing with.

Surprised
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: TFFOSM MotW in 2008 and MotM in 2003. 78th overall in TFFO for 2002/3 and 2003/4

Post by Surprised »

Striker wrote: 11 Dec 2017, 15:23

Even though I wouldn't buy bitcoin myself, nor would I short it, unless I understood the greed and other elements of crowd mentality, which I don't. Seems to me that the price could go anywhere before demand is satisfied, and it crashes, $20,000, $50,000, $100,000, ???

Making money from this point on will be all about timing, and when something depends on timing you shouldn't get involved unless you REALLY understand what you are dealing with.
it's not a great deal of money and I have a stop loss so can't lose more than 1k

Striker
FISO Knight

Post by Striker »

Surprised wrote: 11 Dec 2017, 15:34

it's not a great deal of money and I have a stop loss so can't lose more than 1k

Yup, the stop loss feels essential. Hopefully it never comes into play and you make a solid profit.

Surprised
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Surprised »

Striker wrote: 11 Dec 2017, 15:42
Surprised wrote: 11 Dec 2017, 15:34

Yup, the stop loss feels essential. Hopefully it never comes into play and you make a solid profit.
Without the stop loss I'd be a bit too nervous. I don't really care about a big profit as lots of small profits here and there add up and losses can be limited. Happy with 0.5 to 1% average profit per trade as most trades are no more than 3 days and mostly around 2 to 3 hours
Not looking too good so far but even if stop loss is triggered I'll break even on the day

Backlash
Dumbledore

Post by Backlash »

Chucked a bit of money at various coins mid December.
went in for:

Tron
Ripple
Substratum
MIOTA

So far I’ve trebled my investment- I realise it’s all guess work but wondered on here if anyone wanted to exchange information however tenuous it may be.

Future purchases I’ve been looking at:

Fatcom (far too expensive per coin for me)
Maidsafe
Aragon

I like the idea of chucking names out there and everyone then carrying out their own due diligence on the suggestions.

Maybe a fantasy crypto currency game should be started :D

thelip
FISO Jedi Braveheart
FS Record: Variable

Post by thelip »

So let's say a Bitcoin is worth £13k, then how do I invest £100/£500/£1000? Do I have to buy a whole coin?

I have investment portfolios with a couple of stockbrokers and a bank - would they be able to purchase them on my behalf?

Surprised
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Surprised »

thelip wrote: 04 Jan 2018, 20:18 So let's say a Bitcoin is worth £13k, then how do I invest £100/£500/£1000? Do I have to buy a whole coin?

I have investment portfolios with a couple of stockbrokers and a bank - would they be able to purchase them on my behalf?
You can buy fractions of coins. Not all stockbrokers will deal with them due to the risk but you can always ask your broker. I know IG index deal with them but you don't actually buy the coin with them.

Backlash
Dumbledore

Post by Backlash »

You don’t have to buy a whole coin to start trading, if you want to invest say £1,000 it’ll be converted into a percentage of a coin.

Bitcoin/Ethereum are commonly used as the intial currency to convert to other cryptos.
Ripple is expected to join these big two soon so should gain even more traction due to the increase of its use as an initial currency on some exchanges.

Finsimbo
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Finsimbo »

As Surprised says, you buy whatever amount you want to invest in so at the mo, £500 gets you 0.04259126 of a bitcoin.

There are other ALT coins out there as suggested above, Ripple seems to be the flavour at the mo and making big gains, and it's cheap if you want to own a coin and not part. For me, it's all about % growth not the cost of the coin

But with any coin its a risk. Reduce the risk by educating yourself on the coin of choice

Also depends on how long you intend to hold the coin for. As above there are gains to be made by day trading, but if like me it's just a case of buying and lets see how it goes because I have put in what I can afford to loose.

Read about the tech behind the coin, transaction speeds, potential growth, the dev team, all things to consider.

If you do read up on it then you have a better chance of making some money on your investment BUT depending how long you intend to hold.

Last month was crazy, I got in just before it went mad, had gains of 300% at one point and still sitting on a very healthy %, could have cashed out but thats not what I have them for. I see potential in my choice and although it's not increasing, although it did for a few weeks, I can see a better return in the long run.

Watching posts on reddit for the various coins helps, but you have to smell the day traders and bullshit who are in it just to make quick $$'s and ignore the "to the moon" posts. Some are daily trading 20k+ and any small +/- and its a buy sell market. Some guys are making shed loads but are off setting these gains against losses.

Coinbase is a easy platform to buy/sell on aswell as GDAX, although the latter requires a bit more study but it's just the same with cheaper fees.

Also, protect your coin using a wallet, again read up what a wallet is as there are different flavours.

Like FF, you have a better chance of making money if you study what you are getting into.

HTH's...Fin

Finsimbo
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Finsimbo »

Backlash wrote: 04 Jan 2018, 18:43

Future purchases I’ve been looking at:

Fatcom (far too expensive per coin for me)
This, ignore the price of A coin, it's all about the %

For the money I could put into bitcoin, only using this coin as it's the most common coin, not what I have, but the % gains have been better with others. It's quite hard at the moment because with last months volatility there are a number of coins which have potential to take you to the moon....hate that phrase.

read
learn
sit back and watch
choose your moment
only gamble what you can loose
don't get greedy...dont be caught with FOMO syndrome
humility

End of the day, who knows what will happen..education, education education, can't emphasis that enough and no one can predict but you can make educated gambles

Finsimbo
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Finsimbo »

Backlash wrote: 04 Jan 2018, 20:38 You don’t have to buy a whole coin to start trading, if you want to invest say £1,000 it’ll be converted into a percentage of a coin.

Bitcoin/Ethereum are commonly used as the intial currency to convert to other cryptos.
Ripple is expected to join these big two soon so should gain even more traction due to the increase of its use as an initial currency on some exchanges.
Yep what you said :D

Finsimbo
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Finsimbo »

just found this...could be real interesting...

https://www.reddit.com/r/litecoin/comme ... in_coming/

Surprised
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Surprised »

Russia and Venezuela are both in early stages of a state backed crypto currency

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

Surprised wrote: 04 Jan 2018, 23:10 Russia and Venezuela are both in early stages of a state backed crypto currency
Will Brexit make it easier for me to use these?

Finsimbo
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Finsimbo »

Surprised wrote: 04 Jan 2018, 23:10 Russia and Venezuela are both in early stages of a state backed crypto currency
Saw that too..

Could be real interesting times the next few months...."could" be the operative word there

Backlash
Dumbledore

Post by Backlash »

If their Circulating Supply is low I’ll be all over it :D.

Finsimbo
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Finsimbo »

blahblah wrote: 04 Jan 2018, 23:12

Brexit will make Image happy :wink:

Surprised
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Surprised »

It wont have an effect. The main aim is to reduce reliance on the US dollar

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

Finsimbo wrote: 04 Jan 2018, 23:24

Brexit will make Image happy :wink:
That is so like his sister :shock: :shock: :shock:

murf
FISO Viscount
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.

Post by murf »

A Russian state backed crypto currency.

What could possibly go wrong.....

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

Surprised wrote: 04 Jan 2018, 23:34
I should have included a :wink:

Surprised
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Surprised »

blahblah wrote: 04 Jan 2018, 23:37
Surprised wrote: 04 Jan 2018, 23:34
I should have included a :wink:
It's late lol
And I was travelling for 12 hours yesterday

Striker
FISO Knight

Post by Striker »

murf wrote: 04 Jan 2018, 23:37 A Russian stwwate backed crypto currency.

What could possibly go wrong.....

But maybe pretty solid compared to the Venezualan one. Maduracoins, yes please why do I deposit my purchase funds? :wink:

murf
FISO Viscount
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.

Post by murf »

Not sure why we are bothered by 'currencies' invented by dodgy governments when all these digital currencies are just invented by random bods on t'interweb. I'm sure they are incredibly reliable and trustworthy like that nice Mr Ponzi.

PS Anybody want to buy one of my new Britcoins? I only invented them this morning and valued them at £1 each. They have already gone up to £3.71. I'd get on board now if I was you. Just send me hard pounds sterling and I will e-mail you your Britcoins.

Finsimbo
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Finsimbo »

murf wrote: 05 Jan 2018, 12:33 Not sure why we are bothered by 'currencies' invented by dodgy governments when all these digital currencies are just invented by random bods on t'interweb. I'm sure they are incredibly reliable and trustworthy like that nice Mr Ponzi.
The speaks a man or sheep who knows what he is talking about.

Spoken like a true luddite

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Science, Computers & Technology (e.g. PCs, Web, TVs, Mobiles, Ipods, Gadgets)”