To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

BitCoin

A forum for discussion on Science and Information Technology matters and queries (including PCs, the Internet, TVs, Mobile Phones, Ipods and other gadgets).
murf
FISO Viscount
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.

Re: BitCoin

Post by murf »

Finsimbo wrote: 05 Jan 2018, 12:35
murf wrote: 05 Jan 2018, 12:33 Not sure why we are bothered by 'currencies' invented by dodgy governments when all these digital currencies are just invented by random bods on t'interweb. I'm sure they are incredibly reliable and trustworthy like that nice Mr Ponzi.
The speaks a man or sheep who knows what he is talking about.

Spoken like a true luddite
I know you think they are the future of currency and they may well be BUT, for now, they are largely just seen as mad, potentially luctrative gambles which is causing massive volatility - the last thing a potential 'proper' currency needs.

Finsimbo
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: If only there was a record

Post by Finsimbo »

murf wrote: 05 Jan 2018, 13:20
Finsimbo wrote: 05 Jan 2018, 12:35
murf wrote: 05 Jan 2018, 12:33 Not sure why we are bothered by 'currencies' invented by dodgy governments when all these digital currencies are just invented by random bods on t'interweb. I'm sure they are incredibly reliable and trustworthy like that nice Mr Ponzi.
The speaks a man or sheep who knows what he is talking about.

Spoken like a true luddite
I know you think they are the future of currency and they may well be BUT, for now, they are largely just seen as mad, potentially luctrative gambles which is causing massive volatility - the last thing a potential 'proper' currency needs.
Which is why I say educate yourself before investing.

It's only seen as mad to ppl who dont know what crypto currency is about. Forget bitcoin, it's the tech that is the most interesting part and what it can do for the majority of the ppl on the planet who have no access to bank accounts and how it helps them and no I'm not talking about the crims.

Nearly every post in this thread I say read and educate before committing. From your post I can only guess you have not read/educated/understood anything about it only what you have read whats in your daily news feeds

FF is a gamble and in a previous post I put up the market is worth billions of $'s, the most part ppl know how to play but the minority only ever make some money. But that is not why I am in it, granted traders are making and loosing money daily but that is trading for you. They will trade anything with a rapid % change, just that crypto seems to be the flavour of the month right now.

Bitcoin hit the headlines because it became more valuable than gold for a few days and got everyones attention. What was not seen that it was slowly increasing throughout the years as it was becoming more know to the general public or more ppl decided to educate themselves on how it could be useful to them not just as a money maker

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

I don't see the need to be clued up on the technology to invest in Bitcoin just as I wouldn't need to be an expert in chemical engineering to invest in ICI.

To get a few quid out of Bitcoin investing you are far better off educating yourself in the psychology of investors and reading the market.

I'd love to have had a dabble but, alas, I have no spare income these days having realised all my sharedealing profits to enable us to retire early on a fairly strict budget. Not willing to gamble that security so no fun no more :(

Finsimbo
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Finsimbo »

murf wrote: 05 Jan 2018, 16:47 I don't see the need to be clued up on the technology to invest in Bitcoin just as I wouldn't need to be an expert in chemical engineering to invest in ICI.

To get a few quid out of Bitcoin investing you are far better off educating yourself in the psychology of investors and reading the market.

I'd love to have had a dabble but, alas, I have no spare income these days having realised all my sharedealing profits to enable us to retire early on a fairly strict budget. Not willing to gamble that security so no fun no more :(
Yeah, but you are clued up on FF no? And you win/loose money on that no?

Whats the difference

Educating yourself on the rules of trading is different to buying coins.

Making a decision whether to use your transfer or wait or replacing your defender for a midfielder or who's banging them in at the moment. If you had Kane would you swap him for Carrol. Why are there pages upon pages of threads discussing various games....because your educating yourself

Deciding which coin to buy based on the tech behind it is just the same

Im not trading....Im playing it the same way you play FF. I just have better results and better payout than millions of FF players some who never win anything but have bought into it to play. To me its a more educated gamble

You like to dabble in FF, good for you. I have had shit luck with it, can't seem to do well at the BBC prediction game even though I have been following football all my life and have a rough idea whats what

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

I don't really see an analogy to FF for me. I largely play for fun and have always 'invested' well under £100 a year - probably about £30 this year including £25 to enter the FISO £25 league! Different for a real 'investor' like Sandor Kovacs. I'm still nicely in profit in percentage terms, having won about £2k over the years but it still adds up to sod all per hour. Happy to play for fun and the dream of the biggie - more like the lottery than gambling in that respect.

Shares has always been akin to gambling but is not that close an analogy as the odds involved are way different, largely in that with most shares you would, at worst, hope to get most of your stake back. Share dealing is typically trying to get rich through accumulating small wins with most deals and having as few/small as possible losses to balance. Whereas proper gambling is usually about those infrequent bigger wins balancing the more frequent total losses.

Finsimbo
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Finsimbo »

murf wrote: 05 Jan 2018, 17:11 I don't really see an analogy to FF for me. I largely play for fun and have always 'invested' well under £100 a year - probably about £30 this year including £25 to enter the FISO £25 league! Different for a real 'investor' like Sandor Kovacs. I'm still nicely in profit in percentage terms, having won about £2k over the years but it still adds up to sod all per hour. Happy to play for fun and the dream of the biggie - more like the lottery than gambling in that respect.

Shares has always been akin to gambling but is not that close an analogy as the odds involved are way different, largely in that with most shares you would, at worst, hope to get most of your stake back. Share dealing is typically trying to get rich through accumulating small wins with most deals and having as few/small as possible losses to balance. Whereas proper gambling is usually about those infrequent bigger wins balancing the more frequent total losses.
The analogy is its all a form of gambling which ever way you look at it. And it's educated gambling

You can take odds out for match by match basis, that would be day trading. I can take odds out on how I think my coin will fare with upcoming new advancements in it's tech.

As I said I dont day trade, I spent the yearly money what I would have put in throughout the year on FF, or match day betting, but I did it with a coin just to see how it fares.
It seemed to me November was a good month to get in and at the moment so it has proved with a 150% profit margin and the way it is looking it has every probability of increasing throughout the year and that was because I checked out the various coins and not because Im a super trader who has a psychology in investing

mad dog
Dumbledog
FS Record: Sky Winner 16/17

Post by mad dog »

Bitcoin dropping a fair bit now.

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

Like he said.....
Striker wrote:In 1929 Joseph Kennedy said that "When the shoeshine boys talk stocks, it was a great sell signal".

Finsimbo
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Finsimbo »

boys instead of quoting and just reading mainstream press. Do some research before you post.

There was a reason I cant be bothered to go into, but I bought in the scheduled/expected dip and have made gains after and today.

Im no trader but doing research helped why Im up now :D

Backlash
Dumbledore

Post by Backlash »

Finsimbo wrote: 18 Jan 2018, 13:50 boys instead of quoting and just reading mainstream press. Do some research before you post.

There was a reason I cant be bothered to go into, but I bought in the scheduled/expected dip and have made gains after and today.

Im no trader but doing research helped why Im up now :D
Bought a shed load of Tron yesterday at $0.04 - already up 120%😎

hancockjr
Dumbledore
FS Record: FPL: Not as good as it was, but still very respectable.

Post by hancockjr »

How much Tron fills a shed?

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

I'm surprised there is money to be made in old 1980 VHSs.

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

mad dog wrote:Bitcoin dropping a fair bit now.
And a fair bit more. From over $19k to under $6k. Ouch (albeit a not entirely unexpected one)

hancockjr
Dumbledore
FS Record: FPL: Not as good as it was, but still very respectable.

Post by hancockjr »

I’m sure Finsimbo will have predicted it.

bspittles
Dumbledore

Post by bspittles »

One of the big banks (Lloyds?) has prohibited the purchase of all crypto currencies using its credit cards.

Finsimbo
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Finsimbo »

Yes have been following it.

Not uncommon for Lloyds to do this, to stop ppl getting into huge debts.

You can still use your debit cards though so not a problem and tbh quite sensible.

@hankcockjr, of course I could not predict this if I could I wouldn't be here now, I'd be in my condo with a few hot chicks serving me my drinks by the pool. Tell me a trader that does and I'm no trader.

If I got out early on when I started this post I'd have a few grand in the bank from the couple of £'s I put in, but decided to stay in and enjoy the ride

It's all fun and games, can you predict the results on Saturday if so let me know.

Haters gonna hate.

Knew some on here wouldn't have been able to resist having a pop during this current fall and as far as I'm concerned it is a current fall. If you want to play a short game a get rich quick then good luck to you, but for the long term I still think that this will be a good investment. Again I'm not in BC but a sub of it and most of the alt coins have suffered across the board but if you look historically this was going to happen. To a degree I knew this was going to happen, maybe not on such a huge scale but there is always a drop in the new year especially after the pump during early December. The market is going through a stabalising period and quite happy it has done this as it was so volatile.

My post was about how this could be a good investment IF you did some research on it and not read the mainstream press but actual white papers about what crypto currency is all about and what its aims are and the tech behind it.

Anyways, like I said, I put in what I was prepared to loose, few good nights out and no regrets from me as I am being entertained reading posts (some ill informed but mostly others which educate me) and watching the price go up and down each week

Finsimbo
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Finsimbo »

Just one of the advancements....

http://www.prweb.com/releases/2018/02/prweb15168627.htm

Then you have Segwit and Lightening Networks all +'s in this

But you guys were already aware of this :)

mad dog
Dumbledog
FS Record: Sky Winner 16/17

Post by mad dog »

I’m just waiting for......

Just like they say when the shoeshine boys talk bit coin and crypto currency it’s time to sell - striker 1920

bloggie
Dumbledore
Location: Tourists swarm to see your face Confucius has a puzzling grace Disoriented you enter in unleashing

Post by bloggie »

It's now gone up again.

Hotpot
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Hotpot »

mad dog wrote: 07 Feb 2018, 13:50 I’m just waiting for......

Just like they say when the shoeshine boys talk bit coin and crypto currency it’s time to sell - striker 1920
I thought striker was older than that! :P

Backlash
Dumbledore

Post by Backlash »

Strange old thread this one.

Will people carrying on posting every-time Bitcoin drops and falls? Bitcoin is one of thousands of Cryptocurrencies that is out there-the same as apple is on the stock exchange along with Google.(if Google drops it doesn't necessarily mean that all stocks will)

In this instance there has been a dramatic drop across most (not all) currencies, the tolerance Finsimo has shown is commendable trying to explain to some that don't have a clue (brain) in simplistic terms..... but alas to no avail :roll:
He has also said his initial input was only a few pounds so I I doubt he's seriously that bothered when the market has an adjustment; if anything it's a bit of excitement.(I know get a life!)

Me personally I put in £1000 and have withdrew all of that early doors so have all remaining coins for free.

bloggie
Dumbledore
Location: Tourists swarm to see your face Confucius has a puzzling grace Disoriented you enter in unleashing

Post by bloggie »

Finsimbo
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Finsimbo »

Backlash wrote: Me personally I put in £1000 and have withdrew all of that early doors so have all remaining coins for free.
AHH was going to try that but thought if I go down that road would get to addicted to it s'why I just played with a smallish amount and just stuck with it. Did get caught once or twice with FOMO, bit then bought in the dips to lower my avg and now sitting on a good amount of coins that hopefully in the future have enough to buy the kids driving lessons and cars, but that's in the future.

Reading intelligent posts and getting an idea of detecting the BS and not getting carried away helps.

Seriously think in a few years could be sitting on a nice sum in the bank.

These boys on here can knock it and can understand why, but technology has a means to surprise and if you get it right well look at yer man who came up with Uber Image

Thanks for the acknowledgement there Backlash, thought someone in this community would pick up on it and you seem clever enough to know the game that it is. Just tried and still will try and spread the love for the non believers.

Blockchain and decentralised technology will be the way forward and crypto. Guy at work, very quiet, overheard me talking about it and came up and we had a chat. Was mining early years when it was easier and less expensive, made £40 k, just by trying and still has a few BTC's that he plays with. He been.in it a few years and has rewards. It's always when MSM starts the FUD and then ppl just dismiss it.

Like the lottery, you have to be in it to win it and as.far.as I'm concerned don't care what these guys on here say, let them believe the what they want and be educated by the media.

Anyways on a small bounce here, was hoping for a bigger drop to get some more but let's see by the end of the week will be watching and waiting. Good luck

bloggie
Dumbledore

Post by bloggie »

I mined primecoin a number of years ago because Bitcoin was beyond an average speed computer. I think I mined a meagre total of about half a coin. Should've just bought Bitcoin then.

Finsimbo
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Finsimbo »

Just read this and thought wouldn't it be great to be able to have the balls to do but I don't trade but with research and humility great things can be achieved...

Maybe my initial investment might get me to half of what he has done

@Backlash, Surprised you might enjoy this read

Fin

Surprised
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: TFFOSM MotW in 2008 and MotM in 2003. 78th overall in TFFO for 2002/3 and 2003/4

Post by Surprised »

Finsimbo wrote: 04 Mar 2018, 20:30 Just read this and thought wouldn't it be great to be able to have the balls to do but I don't trade but with research and humility great things can be achieved...

Fin
Good read

Hotpot
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Hotpot »

Finsimbo wrote: 04 Mar 2018, 20:30 Just read this and thought wouldn't it be great to be able to have the balls to do but I don't trade but with research and humility great things can be achieved...

Fin
When I click the link it looks like the post has been removed? Unless I'm not looking in the right place?

Surprised
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: TFFOSM MotW in 2008 and MotM in 2003. 78th overall in TFFO for 2002/3 and 2003/4

Post by Surprised »

Hotpot wrote: 05 Mar 2018, 13:25

Fin
When I click the link it looks like the post has been removed? Unless I'm not looking in the right place?

Looks like it's gone now

Finsimbo
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Finsimbo »

Yeah,

If you read the thread you can get an idea, and read some of his other posts

Surprised
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Surprised »

I do have the source code for the post in question so could post the message here if you wanted.

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Science, Computers & Technology (e.g. PCs, Web, TVs, Mobiles, Ipods, Gadgets)”