To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Alexa / Sonos

A forum for discussion on Science and Information Technology matters and queries (including PCs, the Internet, TVs, Mobile Phones, Ipods and other gadgets).
Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Alexa / Sonos

Post by Zimmerman »

Has anybody hooked them up yet?

I keep seeing adds for the 'new' Sonos 1 that is Alexa compatible.

But reading up (quickly) it appears we can finally use Alexa to control Sonos. Am I mistaken? Will she work with existing kit or do I need to get fleeced for some more dough first?

EDIT: to answer my own question - yes you can :) Im now able to lazily control my Sonos via Alexa. Thus giving me more time to loaf around ;)

Striker
FISO Knight

Re: Alexa / Sonos

Post by Striker »

I'm pretty ignorant about Alexa, but from what I've seen in TV adverts, I wouldn't want one if I was paid to have one in the house.

Please enlighten me on what the merits are.

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

At the moment it's primarily Convenience and
Novelty factor.

It will eventually become the norm (might not be this particular system) but one of them will be.

Will be of great use to the those of more advanced years or perhaps have impairments... would make technology accessible to someone like my mum.

My 5 yo is able to play Justin Beiber or the Trolls soundtrack via Spotify (not a great argument I know).

But they can be used to set up your lights, heating, TV (music I've mentioned). Not too far away you'll be able to do your basic banking. You can obviously do online shopping (with Amazon) on it.

Striker
FISO Knight

Re: Alexa / Sono

Post by Striker »

Thanks very much for the response Zimm.

Although both Mrs Striker and I are both of "advanced years", both of us will need a lot more convincing. I can see that in a few years time when we're approaching our late eighties, technology in the form of stair lifts might be useful. But for many tasks our computers and/or phones will suffice. As regards others such as turning heating on and off, we can do that for ourselves.

I haven't heard a single instruction, in any TV advert, to Alexa which has made me think, "yes that would be useful", either now or even when we are more decrepit than we already are.

Could Alexa do the gardening for me? :wink:

However I can understand that "she" could make a contribution towards easing the lives of the handicapped and those approaching the receipt of a telegram from the Queen. But many studies show that for health reasons the mass of the population should be encouraged to do things for themselves and be discouraged from just sitting on their backsides. Increasing use of Alexa might conflict with this.

Finsimbo
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: If only there was a record

Post by Finsimbo »

Agree with Striker. Eventually this will in general make people more sloth like.

We took machines to make our lives easier. Sooner or later they will make most actions void.

Development of the human..

It is possible to develop humans to choice. Next will be the AI super humans

The possibility of AI is just wild when you think whats its going to be like in another 30 years..Think how the internet has progressed in 20 years, not recognizable

Driverless...
Cars
Buses
Trains
Planes
pretty much anything that at the moment you need someone to control and direct.

Think Uber, think Uber without a driver, that will be the future.

Alexa, Cortana et all, do you all know what is going on under the bonnet?

From slashdot
https://betanews.com/2017/10/09/cortana-skype/

the rub...
So, here's the deal, folks. In order for this magical "in-context" technology to work, Cortana is constantly reading your private conversations. If you use Skype on mobile to discuss private matters with your friends or family, Cortana is constantly analyzing what you type. Talking about secret business plans with a colleague? Yup, Microsoft's assistant is reading those too.
Microsoft could use Cortana's analysis to spy on you for things like advertising or worse, and that stinks. Is it really worth the risk to have smart replies and suggested calendar entries? I don't know about you, but I'd rather not have my Skype conversations read by Microsoft.

Does this information stay local or is it funnelled back to Redmond where your character profile just became that much more detailed

So if you can't be ar$ed to pick up a pen and scribble pint of milk, loaf, or that the heating is on when you get home.

I hate giving any slight info about myself.....how many on here clean their Timeline on FB? All posts are view able to the public. Even when you post "share to friends only" it still goes on your timeline which unless stated automatically goes 'public'. If someone post something that catches my attention I'll check their profile and all of a sudden I can understand a whole lot more about that person, if they have not turned that part of the security off.
Discovered this only few months back when I spotted my Timeline and from there I saw all my old posts which I thought when post to just friends that was what it was, but when I saw it on my own timeline I had to go to each individual post and change the setting there

Ppl are quite happy to have all this new tech in the house but most haven't a clue what this new tech is actually doing.
Free Wifi anyone. You sure its free? To connect to the internet but what about the free router you are using. Friend went into Costa's, from his phone managed to hack into the router using the default admin pw (come on who changes the default Admin pw to the router, no one right) and hey presto in...obv's he knows what he is doing and watching him its easy. From there he had admin control of the shops internet access and with a bit of tweaking could easily access private info from users who use 'free wifi'...no such thing as free, you will pay in the end one way or other.

Basically what I am saying is AI will come and will have a massive effect on society when you think of the possibilities that will soon become reality.....does the normal Joe care? Pretty much no sadly....convenience is a synonym for laziness....

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

Yeh, big brother is closing in... but he has been for years.

Track your mobiles, track your spending, track your shopping habits, track what you spend your money on, when and where, track what you watch or what you listen to.

Striker:

Is it lazy or is it convenient?
I can be cooking tea and ask Alexa to start a timer for me (or change the music).

I could be working and ask her to add something to my to do list. Or add a shopping item to my shopping list whilst I remember.

Is it lazy or is it making it possible for me to squeeze even more multi tasking in to my life?

Like i said it's convenience. Yes I can quite easily do all those things manually (just like my heating and lights are at present).

I'm guessing you enjoy your tv with a remote control?
Or you enjoy having Sky+ instead of a VHS recorder?

What about a kettle?

What about a timer for your hot water and/or central heating?

All things that could be done manually, but having them automated is great isn't it :)

Finsimbo
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Finsimbo »

Zimmerman wrote: 10 Oct 2017, 18:12 Yeh, big brother is closing in... but he has been for years.

Track your mobiles, track your spending, track your shopping habits, track what you spend your money on, when and where, track what you watch or what you listen to.

All things that could be done manually, but having them automated is great isn't it :)
No its not, TBH.

And no I dont need to make extra time to do more multi tasking. Why?

Why do you feel the need to squeeze even more into your daily schedule isnt life just busy enough without added items that make life more convenient. Indirectly you are passing more and more of your life over to what will become AI.

What happens when parts of this big working piece of hardware/software breaks then getting things done become just that more complicated and now life has that little bit of added stress that wasn't there before....Do you see where I'm coming from.

Dumbing down.....dont need to know how to turn on the heating just do it from my phone or other device...ah but network is down....ahh the kettle* hasn't a manual on/off(hardly likely but possibly) *replace kettle with any device you take for granted

Indeed we are all being tracked a whole lot more than we know, but then again ignorance is bliss, not you Zim, but in general

Aside. This is not the point of the post...just stumbled across the AI link this morning and then what happened with Equifax.....makes you think you buy these tools and we are the masters, but in time we will be the servants, aren't most ppl a slave to their mobile, cant be without it because its now your master and now your the servant

Striker
FISO Knight

Post by Striker »

@Zimm. All this is a matter of individual preference.

But my life isn't any more difficult than it would be if I used all available up to the minute technology.

I rarely use my mobile. Even when out I tend to wait until I'm next to a landline. But I do use my mobile whenever it's really useful such as meeting someone at a large venue, or making fantasy transfers when I have to be at a social or other function.

Refuse to use Internet banking.

Receive all my share and related info in paper form.

Turn on kettles, ovens, set timers for everything manually.

Add things to Mrs Striker's shopping list using a ballpoint.

Refuse to join Facebook or Twitter.

I might be a dinosaur but if new technology really helped my life I'd adopt it pronto. For example, I had my own IBM luggable in 1985 before most people had their own useful computer, and learned to type reasonably fast using a typing tutor in my first weeks of ownership. Being able to type would be far more time saving for many people than having Alexa turn on a kettle.

jimwinn
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: nah

Post by jimwinn »

I don't think that most people will be using these remotes to squeeze more into their lives. It's more likely you encourage laziness and obesity as they fester on the couch.

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

You missed my point striker.

You use a kettle instead of boiling a pan of water.
You set a timer for your heating instead on sticking it on manually when you wake up.

You use a remote control instead of walking over to the tv to change channels.

All the other points you make, that's fair enough.
If you don't need it that's fine. I probably don't, it's more a novelty gimmick for me. Has it changed my life? No.
Is it a bad thing? I don't think so.

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

jimwinn wrote: 11 Oct 2017, 07:10 I don't think that most people will be using these remotes to squeeze more into their lives. It's more likely you encourage laziness and obesity as they fester on the couch.
Again, the remote element is just one tiny thing.
Will this make people any more lazy than they already are?

In the grand scheme it's pretty irrelevant. If youre obese
Or lacking in exercise; not walking 10ft to turn a stereo on or flick a light switch on is hardly going to be life changing.

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

Finsimbo wrote: 10 Oct 2017, 21:40
Zimmerman wrote: 10 Oct 2017, 18:12 Yeh, big brother is closing in... but he has been for years.

No its not, TBH.

And no I dont need to make extra time to do more multi tasking. Why?

Why do you feel the need to squeeze even more into your daily schedule isnt life just busy enough without added items that make life more convenient. Indirectly you are passing more and more of your life over to what will become AI.

What happens when parts of this big working piece of hardware/software breaks then getting things done become just that more complicated and now life has that little bit of added stress that wasn't there before....Do you see where I'm coming from.

Dumbing down.....dont need to know how to turn on the heating just do it from my phone or other device...ah but network is down....ahh the kettle* hasn't a manual on/off(hardly likely but possibly) *replace kettle with any device you take for granted

Indeed we are all being tracked a whole lot more than we know, but then again ignorance is bliss, not you Zim, but in general

Aside. This is not the point of the post...just stumbled across the AI link this morning and then what happened with Equifax.....makes you think you buy these tools and we are the masters, but in time we will be the servants, aren't most ppl a slave to their mobile, cant be without it because its now your master and now your the servant
Strange edit of my post not sure of your angle :?

Finsimbo
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Finsimbo »

Tired and just spotted it, and well it made sense to me :?

Basically I dont like AI......

Life moves pretty fast, if you don't stop and look around once in a while you could miss it... :wink:

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

Said the great philosopher Ferris Bueller :D

murf
FISO Viscount
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.

Post by murf »

"Alexa, post a load of crap on FISO for me"

Anyway, that was 12 years ago....

Knulpuk
Dumbledore
FS Record: Ultra ultra consistent (see above)

Post by Knulpuk »

I have an Echo linked to a Sonos linked to a Spotify account.

I use it almost exclusively for playing music, pausing music, skipping tracks. In the house its easier than finding the phone or ipad - even if its to hand finding a track or album is much quicker by just asking.

It works well - the kids ask it questions, it cost £40. I don't really feel it is going to "encourage laziness and obesity as they fester on the couch". It's just a helpful thing.

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

Can you play Spotify on the Sonos (via Alexa)?

I read that was a limitation of this current Beta release.
I set it up last night, but didn't test the Spotify angle as assumed it wasn't possible.

Knulpuk
Dumbledore
FS Record: Ultra ultra consistent (see above)

Post by Knulpuk »

I have it hard wired into a play 5 which is the only one to have an audio input.

Spotify is coming soon (ie you can set it as default music player)

Note also Sonos are emailing out half price codes - just bought a 2nd echo for £25

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

Guess I should read some of those emails!

For £25 worth getting one for upstairs.

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

Or do I just order a new sonos (that has Alexa integrated) at £200 and relegate Alexa upstairs?

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Science, Computers & Technology (e.g. PCs, Web, TVs, Mobiles, Ipods, Gadgets)”