To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Router Help

A forum for discussion on Science and Information Technology matters and queries (including PCs, the Internet, TVs, Mobile Phones, Ipods and other gadgets).
Beerfuelledman
FISO Knight
FS Record: FISO 17/18 FPL Cash Draft League Winner

Router Help

Post by Beerfuelledman »

Hi folks, I have Sky Broadband fibre with the very standard sky black router. I was looking at a £140 Netgear Nighthawk router and I wondered do I need this? I dnt know a lot about routers - I take it its just better? Does it replace the Sky Hub or work with it?

Id appreciate advice from a techie sort. Explain it to me like I am a child lol :lol:

Thanks FISO

Surprised
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: TFFOSM MotW in 2008 and MotM in 2003. 78th overall in TFFO for 2002/3 and 2003/4

Re: Router Help

Post by Surprised »

Why do you want to change the router you have?

unc.si.
FISO Knight
FS Record: 'Loser' by Beck

Post by unc.si. »

Beerfuelledman wrote:Hi folks, I have Sky Broadband fibre with the very standard sky black router. I was looking at a £140 Netgear Nighthawk router and I wondered do I need this? I dnt know a lot about routers - I take it its just better? Does it replace the Sky Hub or work with it?

Id appreciate advice from a techie sort. Explain it to me like I am a child lol :lol:

Thanks FISO
I'll be no use from a techie or Sky standpoint, but if its a similar set up to Virgin then this might help. I recently added a TP Link router to replace the router part of the virgin hub. The Virgin hub now works as a cable modem (which Blah says is the wrong term but Virgin call it Modem only mode so I'll stick with it) with the TP link taking over the wifi router role. IT guy switched the Virgin hub to modem only mode, plugged in the router and so they now happily work together. Ebony and Ivory, living together in perfect harmony.

I guess there's good and bad in every router.

Anyway, miles better wifi now - actually get close to the advertised speed. Seems the virgin router is a pretty crappy cheapo one. My TP link looks pretty similar to the one you linked to, only white.

And a different shape.

Beerfuelledman
FISO Knight
FS Record: FISO 17/18 FPL Cash Draft League Winner

Post by Beerfuelledman »

Thanks - better WiFi seems to be the (obvious?) answer. I guess I have come to think of occassional buffering and the like as part and parcel of streaming. After a bit of reseach I plumped for https://www.amazon.co.uk/Connections-UK ... b_title_ce mostly because it supports "Sky VDSL" and is a Modem/Router rather than just the Nighthawks (and yours) router. It seems Sky didnt use to like you improving your router :?

After buying I nearly shit when I saw the rigmarole around extracting your username & password from the Sky SR102 router (Download Wireshark to look for DHCP Discovery packets for the option 61 client identifier in the reboot data)(and no I had/have no idea what that means) but I did it.

So I am awaiting the TP Links arrival and (hopefully) a much improved WiFi signal.

WiFi is becoming so much more central to everyday living isnt it?

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Science, Computers & Technology (e.g. PCs, Web, TVs, Mobiles, Ipods, Gadgets)”