To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Virgin Media broadband

A forum for discussion on Science and Information Technology matters and queries (including PCs, the Internet, TVs, Mobile Phones, Ipods and other gadgets).
dingram041
Dumbledore
FS Record: I've won a lot but proud to have been 7 balled my friend Milan Gajic. RIP xx

Virgin Media broadband

Post by dingram041 »

What a complete crock these lot are.....non stop problems with their broadband. Cancelled today after huge arguments as didn't get internet between 3 and 4 today. Had multiple problems with their broadband going down. Any ideas who are best to go with? Sky or BT? Never ever will I go with Virgin again.

Darbyand
FISO Knight
FS Record: TFF World Cup 2014: 6th. TFF: 2020: 30th. 2022 32nd + 54th. Eggs PL 1st 2022. Tenners: 3rd 2019, 2nd 2020, 1st 2022.

Re: Virgin Media broadband

Post by Darbyand »

Do you use/need a landline? If yes my BT is good, reliable and fast and they'll want to bundle one in.

If not, shop around.

robot
Dumbledore
FS Record: Winner tff world 2018 knockout 2nd TFF Euro 2012 Group Stage,tff weekly winner 13/14wk25, 14/15wk7&19,16/17wk2,,Winner tff champions league two foot challenge, winner sun Elite league 15/16,winner tff 17/18 chairmen league, week32 weekender joint 1st.

Post by robot »

I swapped to bt a while back but mainly due to bt sport pricing and the broadband itself has been fine.

My experience of bt generally with broadband and any other services ive had either home or elsewhere is all is fine until you have a problem then customer service/call centre is dire, wheras sky is reasonable in that department.

Depends what your prioritys are.

bloggie
Dumbledore
Location: Tourists swarm to see your face Confucius has a puzzling grace Disoriented you enter in unleashing

Post by bloggie »

I've found Virgin very reliable so I guess each experience is different plus they have free callouts but your situation must've been understandably different whether it was a problem perhaps with the green strret box or setup. I've heard BT and Sky are fairly reliable.

juckster
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Winner of a mile in another mans shoes pre TW2. Total wins £550 SDT 2011/12.

Post by juckster »

I've not had problems with Virgin Broadband - very good in my area.

bluenosey
Dumblenose
FS Record: FISO Goals Champ 2018/19 & 2019/20

Post by bluenosey »

Have to agree with the two posts above. Always been very reliable for me. Sky on the other hand....

I suppose it's luck of the draw.

unc.si.
FISO Knight
FS Record: 'Loser' by Beck

Post by unc.si. »

I found that my Virgin superhub was dropping Broadband a lot so I was having to reset the router fairly regularly, and I wasn't getting anything like the advertised speed. I've flipped it to act as a cable modem only and put in a better wi-fi router and now get very close to the advertised speed a lot of the time and no dropouts.

Other than the issue with their superhub (which I suspect is because they've installed a cheap router in it) I've had no issues with Virgin for years.

thebillfella
FISO Knight
FS Record: 6th FPL 19/20; 1st TFF StartXI 14/15; 8th TFFE11; 18th TFFE12; 1st FISO TFFE11&12; 1st FISO Full Draft 12/13,14/15,19/20,20/21; 1st Block14/15; 1st 5ASChampLge 12/13; 1st TFF Super614/15; 1st Spring17; 1st FISO Div Premx6, Cup, Mirror,Prem&H2H Champ 19/20

Post by thebillfella »

Depends where you are on the network and how reliable the network is in that area. They're fine while everything is ok but as soon as you do have a problem their customer service is terrible in my experience.

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

unc.si. wrote:I found that my Virgin superhub was dropping Broadband a lot so I was having to reset the router fairly regularly, and I wasn't getting anything like the advertised speed. I've flipped it to act as a cable modem only and put in a better wi-fi router and now get very close to the advertised speed a lot of the time and no dropouts.

Other than the issue with their superhub (which I suspect is because they've installed a cheap router in it) I've had no issues with Virgin for years.

Cable Modem :shock: Blimey, a blast from the past as that is a techie thing, which I doubt you have :wink: (It was an early thing that shared the bandwidth from the Concentrator among those on line. So, at the time very fast or very slow depending on neighbours... - or at least I think that is what is was.)

I'm on BT as get BTSport for nowt, and got a load of Sainsburys Vouchers, which meant they were almost the cheapest...

unc.si.
FISO Knight
FS Record: 'Loser' by Beck

Post by unc.si. »

blahblah wrote:
unc.si. wrote:I found that my Virgin superhub was dropping Broadband a lot so I was having to reset the router fairly regularly, and I wasn't getting anything like the advertised speed. I've flipped it to act as a cable modem only and put in a better wi-fi router and now get very close to the advertised speed a lot of the time and no dropouts.

Cable Modem :shock: Blimey, a blast from the past as that is a techie thing, which I doubt you have :wink: (It was an early thing that shared the bandwidth from the Concentrator among those on line. So, at the time very fast or very slow depending on neighbours... - or at least I think that is what is was.)

I'm on BT as get BTSport for nowt, and got a load of Sainsburys Vouchers, which meant they were almost the cheapest...
Oh maybe cable modem isn't the right word, but you can log into the Virgin superhub, switch it to Modem mode then connect it to a decent wifi router (in my case a TP link AC1900 dual band) so I use the Virgin box as a modem only with the wifi being provided by the TP Link router.

ps if I sound like I know what I'm doing, I don't. The IT director at work came round and set it up for me :D

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

unc.si. wrote:
blahblah wrote:

Oh maybe cable modem isn't the right word, but you can log into the Virgin superhub, switch it to Modem mode then connect it to a decent wifi router (in my case a TP link AC1900 dual band) so I use the Virgin box as a modem only with the wifi being provided by the TP Link router.

ps if I sound like I know what I'm doing, I don't. The IT director at work came round and set it up for me :D

If he says Modem, then his cv needs looking at :lol:

Modem is Modulator Demodulator: basically it was an analogue to digital convertor to go down the phone line - and there should be digital form your house now, so no need to convert.

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Science, Computers & Technology (e.g. PCs, Web, TVs, Mobiles, Ipods, Gadgets)”