To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

App for managing photo files

A forum for discussion on Science and Information Technology matters and queries (including PCs, the Internet, TVs, Mobile Phones, Ipods and other gadgets).
Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

App for managing photo files

Post by Zimmerman »

Spurred on by Vids music requirement;

I have two iPhones, mrs has one too.

I hook them both up to my computer (we have separate profiles).

Every now and again, I back the phones up and photos are stored in iPhoto.
Every now and again, I then back up my Mac (photos) on to an external NAS drive.
However, as i am ultra paranoid of losing some photos (in the process of copying them from here to there etc. and also deleting them from the phones to free up space on the phones)... I think I am now in a position where i have probably got some pictures in triplicate... is there an easy way to remove the additional copies?

It doesn't help that Apple don't make it obvious where your pictures actually go to.
In an ideal world I would just copy across the pictures I imported 'today'.

But I'm dead scared of losing any (massive majority of pictures i take and worry about losing are of our daughter.).

mikeg13
FISO Knight

Re: App for managing photo files

Post by mikeg13 »

Zimmerman wrote: It doesn't help that Apple don't make it obvious where your pictures actually go to.
In an ideal world I would just copy across the pictures I imported 'today'.

But I'm dead scared of losing any (massive majority of pictures i take and worry about losing are of our daughter.).
Not sure if it will do what you want, but I use program called Lightroom, lets you do pretty much anything, not that do much in way of Photography these days, yet to find any thing it wont let you do. Learning curve not to bad, its not cheap so maybe try and get a book on it and have a read or if you know somebody in business likely they will use it.

Assume you using a Mac, so this is a quick look at that version

Adobe Lightroom offers most of what you'd need from a digital darkroom and asset manager, handling a range of common still image, RAW and video formats, and using Photoshop or external applications when heavier editing is required.

Importing almost two hundred high-res images into a new Collection in Lightroom 5 took a few minutes longer than we expected. This we found was down to the new Smart Previews, 'proxy' versions of the images that can be generated on ingest and can be used for editing even when the original images aren't accessible by the Mac. Any changes made are synced with the original catalogue when it gets reattached.

The Library Tab's asset management is well-served with a variety of ways to select photos for use or deletion in Lightroom, as well as stacking in groups. There's a Quick Develop area that offers quick adjustment Presets, but no previews for them.

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

Cheers mike, didn't realise you were still around. Good to hear from you.

Surprised
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: TFFOSM MotW in 2008 and MotM in 2003. 78th overall in TFFO for 2002/3 and 2003/4

Post by Surprised »

Don't use Lightroom but it is sold as a photo management system more than a photo editing system. Not sure if it would help with photos in the cloud though but it allows you to change EXIF on multiple photos at once and use that EXIF to file photos by.
I tend to auto backup photos to Google Photos, flickr and pcloud so always have 3 of each photo

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Science, Computers & Technology (e.g. PCs, Web, TVs, Mobiles, Ipods, Gadgets)”