To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

TV streaming

A forum for discussion on Science and Information Technology matters and queries (including PCs, the Internet, TVs, Mobile Phones, Ipods and other gadgets).
bspittles
Dumbledore

TV streaming

Post by bspittles »

Now that the little one goes to bed properly and the big one has left home, Mrs B and I have some evening to ourselves :-)

We'd like to start watching films but I'm a bit out of touch with the required technology. We currently have an iPad and an HD TV, although the TV doesn't have a wi-fi connection. What hardware we need to view a film on the TV via the iPad?

And in terms of packages, what are the best ones out there (I only know of Netflix and Now TV)? I'd like a broad range to choose from, older stuff, more recent releases and kids films too. We're not that fussed about watching TV series. We don't have either satellite or cable, so I guess it has to be internet-based.

I don't really want to spend a week setting something up, and I don't want to spend a great deal (in case we find we don't really enjoy it).

All comments gratefully received :-)

Moist von Lipwig
FISO Knight
FS Record: FPL Spring 16 Winner 2010-11. Murfs F1 Predictions 2012 Winner. Pick Quick 2012-13 Winner. SP4s Predictions League A & Champions League

Re: TV streaming

Post by Moist von Lipwig »

You mentioned Now TV, that's a good one if you're intending to pay for the movie subscription.... £9.99 per month* and you get the sky movie library and the ability to watch the sky movie channels live, you can (I think) watch something live from the start.

* Offer codes pop up all the time, I've just bought a 2 month pass for £8. You can get boxes with 3 month passes for £15, then sell the duplicate box on ebay for a fiver or so. When a pass has finished (you have to cancel it before it finishes to prevent an auto subscription at full price) they sometimes send to an offer to stay on. I got 3 months for £1 per month last time.

The box has the advantage of being wireless and you can use Now tv on up to 4 devices, we have the now tv box upstairs and the living room runs off the ps4. You can also sideload plex onto it and stream digital stuff you already possess through the now tv box.

crispybits
Dumbledore
FS Record: FISO Apprentice Champion 2011-2012, Xpert11 FBT winner season 7

Post by crispybits »

You could also look at Roku boxes/sticks. You can get streaming services like Netflix/Hulu/Amazon Prime/Now TV through them plus more like Youtube and Plex (that MvL already mentioned is good for streaming media you already own from your PC if applicable).

Google Chromecast is similar, but I know a coupla people with it and they don't seem too impressed.

Have you looked at Apple TV? That would offer you a lot of extra options in terms of connecting with and transferring shows half way through between the TV and iPad but I'm hideously anti-Apple so I can't quite bring myself to recommend it nor do I know what other services like Netflix it actually offers...

bspittles
Dumbledore

Post by bspittles »

Just found out my Wii has Netflix and LoveFilm software, so that's sorted!

Many thanks for the responses :-)

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Science, Computers & Technology (e.g. PCs, Web, TVs, Mobiles, Ipods, Gadgets)”