So, who is doing well?

Ultimate Fantasy Premier League - starting 2014/15
Mav3rick
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: FPL: 1082, 1201, 1800, 10203

The stats are dark and full of errors.

So, who is doing well?

Post by Mav3rick »

As the title really, who are FISO's best UFPL managers currently? I guess that the transfer phase is active still so people are still structuring squads... Is it more fun that the BETA was last year and what strategies are working so far?

Mo Bot
Dumbledore
FS Record: Inaugural Last Man Standing. FISO Fantasy Eurovision champ 2012. World #1 in UFPL for a whole week

Re: So, who is doing well?

Post by Mo Bot »

That would be John Kilpatrick (a name I don't recognise from other FPL leagues) who's 5th in the league.
Mr. Bongo is also in the top 100.

I dropped 700 places on today's performance but have some decent players to come in for my 2s and 3s

loosecannon85
Grumpy Old Man

Post by loosecannon85 »

Im doing alright In position 247, had a good gameweek 3 so far scoring 70 points. Last week was a bit annoying as I meant to captain Costa but I must not of hit the confirm button ( a mistake I wont make again). I have got 14 transfers in the bank, so I will have a good look in 10 days or so and try and work out a team!

phantomscythe
FISOhead
FS Record: FPL record (9 seasons): Best - 179 / Worst - 28,419; *2x FISO 5AS Champ; *Conference H2H Champ

Post by phantomscythe »

45th place overall so not too bad a start for me, could have been better if i didn't take a few wild punts to try and win manager of the month.

My strategy hasn't changed overall from the Beta game, but the transfers available in the first 3 game weeks have introduced another dynamic. It'll be interesting to see how everything pans out after a few weeks when everyone's squads are locked in place.

Billy Bongo
FISO Knight

Post by Billy Bongo »

Slipped a bit last week, but not far from the top, happy so far. 5th in FISO.

Game gets tougher now the transfers will disappear, will get interesting

loosecannon85
Grumpy Old Man

Post by loosecannon85 »

Not too far behind you guys i have 227 points and I'm 6th in the fiso league. I'm hoping my 14 transfers in the bank will help me.

loosecannon85
Grumpy Old Man

Post by loosecannon85 »

billy what are you playing at? you have done all your transfers already and left 1.5 in the bank!

Billy Bongo
FISO Knight

Post by Billy Bongo »

loosecannon85 wrote:billy what are you playing at? you have done all your transfers already and left 1.5 in the bank!
I know, genius is sometimes confusing for mere mortals.

I have some big loans lined up........

loosecannon85
Grumpy Old Man

Post by loosecannon85 »

Billy Bongo wrote:
loosecannon85 wrote:billy what are you playing at? you have done all your transfers already and left 1.5 in the bank!
I know, genius is sometimes confusing for mere mortals.

I have some big loans lined up........
I see youre planning to loan more expensive players then? i am guessing for the likes of aguero and rvp, interesting strategy!

Billy Bongo
FISO Knight

Post by Billy Bongo »

I like taking risks, might work might not

I will loan in when fixtures are juicy, hop on and off

Will never loan to cover injuries, use the squad for that

Others disagree , it's just my pov

Football Hero
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Football Hero »

Billy Bongo wrote:I like taking risks, might work might not

I will loan in when fixtures are juicy, hop on and off

Will never loan to cover injuries, use the squad for that

Others disagree , it's just my pov
The problem with that is that unless you are planning on loaning a lot, (which you almost certainly aren't), then you are just competing 1.5M light for most gameweeks, with a squad worth only 158.5M the majority of the time, compared to everyone else having 160.0M worth of players to combat you with.

So not only do your planned loans have to overcome the loan agreement penalty points, they also have to overcome having an undervalued squad for 12+ gameweeks out of the next 17 gameweeks.

Good luck with that, but I think you've f*cked up.

The fact that you have done the transfers early is for sure a mistake regardless.

Also, for some reason you will use the rest of your squad to cover if a big player gets injured, but you won't use your squad to cover if one of your big players has bad fixtures, instead you will loan another big player in with better fixtures. I don't see the logic there, since doing loans for injuries to big players is really a given if you are also doing it for fixture reasons for uninjured big players, since carrying an injury is worse than having bad fixtures...

The Catman
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Winner 2013 TFC T20 wickets league; Winner 2012 F1 Fantasyracers.com. Winner Mirror FF Free League 2014/15. 6th TFC T20 runs 2016.

Post by The Catman »

I don't think it is necessarily a handicap - there is no guarantee that the highest priced players are the highest scorers. It only needs Ramsey to outscore Sanchez, or Costa to outscore Agüerro for those with the higher priced players to have wasted 1.5m.

I accept it might have been useful in defence to convert 3 4.0's to 4.5's though

Billy Bongo
FISO Knight

Post by Billy Bongo »

It's a huge squad and banking a small amount isn't a big deal, and gives me flexibility in the loan market. I chose early transfers to try and get a head start. To call these tactics 'f*cked up' is a huge exaggeration. You play your game I'll play mine.

Football Hero
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Football Hero »

Billy Bongo wrote:It's a huge squad and banking a small amount isn't a big deal, and gives me flexibility in the loan market. I chose early transfers to try and get a head start. To call these tactics 'f*cked up' is a huge exaggeration. You play your game I'll play mine.
I'm sorry bud, but early transfers are definitely bad. What if someone gets injured in the internationals etc.?

In the standard game, the only reason for early transfers is the price rises and drops. If the prices in that game didn't change, then we would all be doing our transfers in the standard game on Friday night or Saturday morning.

Billy Bongo
FISO Knight

Post by Billy Bongo »

It's a big squad, you have loans, and another transfer window. It's just an alternative strategy, which may be wrong, and yes, you may be right.

Football Hero
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Football Hero »

The Catman wrote:I don't think it is necessarily a handicap - there is no guarantee that the highest priced players are the highest scorers. It only needs Ramsey to outscore Sanchez, or Costa to outscore Agüerro for those with the higher priced players to have wasted 1.5m.

I accept it might have been useful in defence to convert 3 4.0's to 4.5's though
Yes if you are assuming that your rivals make poor picks when it comes to choosing players offering good value.

If your opponents have in general chosen decent value players like you yourself have, and yet they are utilising 160.0M of value, and you are utilising 158.5M of value, then they have the edge in all the weeks where you are not making loans.

This is why the loan system in place at the moment sucks in my opinion, it's too hard to make loan moves profitable.

It would be better if the game allowed each manager to have 10 loan credits for the season, (or until January and then another 10 credits for the second half), where if you loan 1 player in for 3 weeks, then this uses up 3 credits, (but doesn't cost you points), and if you loan 2 players in for 2 weeks, then this uses up 4 credits. This would mean that choosing a good overall 25-man squad for the long term is still important, but you also get to keep your eye out for short term fixture runs, and doing solid tactical switches at the right times for things like double gameweeks etc. plus you can still use the loan credits to deal with any unfortunate injuries too should you have them.

Billy Bongo
FISO Knight

Post by Billy Bongo »

Profitable? Expand.

This is a game of calculated risk, nothing more, all loans are therefore liable to fail. But it makes sense when bringing in a captains pick, if makes total sense in fact. The profitable bit is making your loanee a captain

Striker
FISO Knight

Post by Striker »

The loan system currently incorporated into the game can be profitable if used judiciously. Certainly managers will need to take factors such as good fixture runs etc mentioned by Football Hero into account. But you can't use it willy-nilly. I played with it last season to see how it worked, and it cost me. Even though I didn't go loan mad, I would have finished in the top three if I hadn't touched the loan button, but poor loans pushed me down to 19th.

But I don't agree with the criticism of the system. It's transparent, the same for all managers and has the potential for solving problems profitably. But quite rightfully it isn't a "get out of jail free" card, which benefits managers every time that they use it. It would be inappropriate if it was a no brainer to use lots of loans. It would similarly be sub optimal if managers had a set number of loans as suggested by Football Hero as the number of loans is then an individual decision, meaning that it adds to the decision making matrix and is another interesting differentiating element of the game.

skip
Red & Blue Braces
FS Record: UFPL beta winner 2014, OFL ISO winner 2013

Post by skip »

Good luck Billy, it's nice to see someone doing things a little differently.

Billy Bongo
FISO Knight

Post by Billy Bongo »

Thanks :) it's only a fiver and I've no money leagues so what the heck

Sutter Kane
Dumbledore
FS Record: Unknown.

Post by Sutter Kane »

Judging by the penalties and rewards in UFPL, seems a bit like planning -4 hits in FPL game, no? Of course this can be profitable too. I just think the small margins are such that it's too difficult to predict so on the whole, I'll be avoiding loans. But as this game is new, I haven't the foggiest how it'll pan out so good luck with it...

93rd 8-)

Football Hero
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Football Hero »

Sutter Kane wrote:Judging by the penalties and rewards in UFPL, seems a bit like planning -4 hits in FPL game, no?
No.

Sutter Kane
Dumbledore

Post by Sutter Kane »

Football Hero wrote:No.
I feel you or someone who agrees with you needs to expand. :lol:

There is a points penalty so the 'risk penalty/reward' mechanics are identical. Thus "no" doesn't cover it and to be fair, UFPL is so complex all we can do at this point is try and give well structured opinions (about how the loan system could work)

For me, 4 week loans seem the sensible way for it to be worth it, if using the strategy multiple times. You'll need more than 2.5ppg difference in the player you bring in and the player ejected which is a lot for 4 games - excluding captaincy of course (also excluding injury/suspension to the player you've just paid for). IMO it's called emergency loan for a reason, in that an injury (injuries) to an expensive player can be mitigated. We'll see.

I also forgot to say that with the way you can switch captains anyway, the 'loan to captain scheme' is less effective than it would be in FPL. In fact the complicated switching that can occur regardless of captains reduces the appeal of 2.5ppg-4ppg penalties in a non-injury situation.

Sutter Kane
Dumbledore

Post by Sutter Kane »

Just to point out also, I don't really disagree with anything you've put on this thread so far. I was merely comparing FPL to UFPL and saying I currently have similar reasons for avoiding penalties in both. (there are always certain exceptions however). I can think of situations such as DGWs where a quick -4 could be hugely profitable later in the season.

If one is planning on loans involving expensive big hitters, there has to be form and fixtures really, with no chance of rotation which is unlikely, but always the chance that the big hitter you took out could smash you.

Stemania
FISO Jedi Knight
Location: On the Iron Throne of xG, the seat of The Crown Prince of the Stat Perverts. Or if not, in the STC!
FS Record: Best: TFF 321st. FPL 129th. FFS Career HoF Peak 2nd (Live 1st). Ability since lost.

Post by Stemania »

I really think the loan system would be best for emergencies only, as in the name. Four points for one week is very expensive unless you plan on captaining the incoming player imo - if you need another transfer to fund it that's 8 points. In fact, this is probably a good argument for definitely owning a top end player from each position (Aguero, Hazard/Sanchez, Baines/Ivan) - so you can transfer in anyone else in only one loan - or maybe even leaving 0.5m in the bank. :idea:

A two week loan only saves you one point on two one weekers, so to me is hardly worth it at all - I'd pay a point for getting to reassess a week later. :?

A three week loan also seems pointless as it is one point less that a four week - you may as well choose 4 weeks and then if you happen to want the player out for the forth week then cancel the loan and take the one point loss, just in case who you planned to get in instead suddenly gets injured/suspended or your original player is still unavailable. :(

That leaves the discounted 4 week loan, which also seems extremely expensive to me. You may get a few points off for going 4 weeks, but you're paying for the fact that you won't be able to loan anyone else for those weeks, so any injuries in the mean time and you're scuppered. Bear in mind the rest of your squad should be able to cover the odd injury, and the fact we don't have to worry about price rises, a player would have to have a fantastic captainable run to warrant a 2.5 points a week starting deficit. :?

A long term injury to a big gun for a 4 week, and the odd majestic captain pick for the one week, is probably the only time I'll use the system. But, given we will usually have at least two chances at captaincy, it's a bit underpowered compared to fpl in terms of a one week transfer.

Striker
FISO Knight

Post by Striker »

Good sense, Stemania.

The largest problem with loans of more than one week is that they reduce your flexibility significantly. As you are only allowed to have one loan at a time, if you need another loan you have to cancel your existing loan for which you get no refund. If you've had a stellar striker injured and make a four week loan of a similar top striker to replace him, it is value for money, but only if the new striker doesn't get injured or you don't have another "big" injury during the loan period.

asm_fanz
Grumpy Old Frog

Post by asm_fanz »

Stemania wrote:I really think the loan system would be best for emergencies only, as in the name. Four points for one week is very expensive unless you plan on captaining the incoming player imo - if you need another transfer to fund it that's 8 points.
Agreed. I can't play this year but last year I recall me and some others saw their OR drop as soon as we started using the loans. They should be kept for injuries to key players IMO

Football Hero
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Football Hero »

Stemania wrote:I really think the loan system would be best for emergencies only, as in the name. Four points for one week is very expensive unless you plan on captaining the incoming player imo - if you need another transfer to fund it that's 8 points. In fact, this is probably a good argument for definitely owning a top end player from each position (Aguero, Hazard/Sanchez, Baines/Ivan) - so you can transfer in anyone else in only one loan - or maybe even leaving 0.5m in the bank. :idea:

A two week loan only saves you one point on two one weekers, so to me is hardly worth it at all - I'd pay a point for getting to reassess a week later. :?

A three week loan also seems pointless as it is one point less that a four week - you may as well choose 4 weeks and then if you happen to want the player out for the forth week then cancel the loan and take the one point loss, just in case who you planned to get in instead suddenly gets injured/suspended or your original player is still unavailable. :(

That leaves the discounted 4 week loan, which also seems extremely expensive to me. You may get a few points off for going 4 weeks, but you're paying for the fact that you won't be able to loan anyone else for those weeks, so any injuries in the mean time and you're scuppered. Bear in mind the rest of your squad should be able to cover the odd injury, and the fact we don't have to worry about price rises, a player would have to have a fantastic captainable run to warrant a 2.5 points a week starting deficit. :?

A long term injury to a big gun for a 4 week, and the odd majestic captain pick for the one week, is probably the only time I'll use the system. But, given we will usually have at least two chances at captaincy, it's a bit underpowered compared to fpl in terms of a one week transfer.
Great post.

However the loan system really should be fleshed out by UFPL so that it becomes a usable system, (unlike currently where it seems fairly useless except in exceptional circumstances), since a working, profitable loan system would help keep the game fresh between GW4 - GW20 and GW24 - GW38, as I worry that the game could become a bit stale and boring during these stretches.

A limited amount of 'free' loans to use throughout the season in between the transfer windows, seems like a good way around this to me. The amount of free loans should be very small though, as I still think the idea of settling on a long-term 25 player squad is a sound one, but it would be nice to have a few extra things to ponder when not in a transfer window, and a few free loans and deciding when to use those loans would be rather fascinating. For example if you only had a couple of free loans left, and you could loan Aguero in for two great fixtures over the next two gameweeks, or save your two loans for getting two players in when there are some double fixtures in five gameweeks time etc.

CptPugwash
Grumpy Old Man

Post by CptPugwash »

Personally, I think the game this season will stay fresh due to the fact that the squads are going to be very diverse this season.
When the season started i expected most squads to converge towards a fairly standard selection by the end of this transfer window. However I don't think that's going to be case now. There are very few stand out players.
Even say sigurdsson, there are at least 2 viable swansea alternatives for the front 14 in Bony & Dyer, do we really want to double up on front 14 coverage for a team with little Sunday/Monday exposure.
It's the same for every team i look at. I want at least 1 Man U front 14 due to the amount of Sunday games, but which 1.
For the EPL the nearest to a must have is Costa, but i don't think he is a must have here as there are lot's of viable Chelsea alternatives and IMO Coverage id the name of the game here.

Anyway, re the loan system. Clearly the organisers are trying to reflect a real life squad system as far as possible. Whether or not the loan system is sound or not, can not realistically be judged until it's had a full season trial.

Sutter Kane
Dumbledore

Post by Sutter Kane »

Nasty GW if not owning any Chelsea!! I don't own any and captained Sterling. Almost all-in on Rooney today, with Noble and Chester to come as hideous emergency captain options on Monday. :lol:

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Ultimate FPL”