To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Telephoto lens for eos 500d

A forum for Photography discussion.
sted
Dumbledore
Location: Outside, fighting 3 big fellas and drinking beer at the same time.

Telephoto lens for eos 500d

Post by sted »

Hi guys,

I'm dipping my foot into digital SLR and have just brought Mrs Sted a 500D for her birthday (It's going to be mine really but don't tell her).

I'm getting some good results with the lens kit that came with it, but I'd like to get some close up action shots of the motorbikes we have here on the Isle of Man.

Have you seen the price of some of these lenses? :shock:

I'm looking sub £200.

Any suggestions?

Cheers

mikeg13
FISO Knight

Re: Telephoto lens for eos 500d

Post by mikeg13 »

Not a Cannon user, so am assuming its similar to Nikon when it comes to lens crop with affordable camers, think 500d 1.6, so it may not need to be a big tele, something like Canon EF 75-300mm f4-5.6 III Lens that goes for about £190, not that fast but once you start looking at fast lens it does mean your pocket empties at same rate.

sted
Dumbledore

Post by sted »

mikeg13 wrote:Not a Cannon user, so am assuming its similar to Nikon when it comes to lens crop with affordable camers, think 500d 1.6, so it may not need to be a big tele, something like Canon EF 75-300mm f4-5.6 III Lens that goes for about £190, not that fast but once you start looking at fast lens it does mean your pocket empties at same rate.
I did see that on Amazon / e-Bay but then came across this review.

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Revi ... eview.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Does that mean it's utter shite? Or will a point and shoot photographer like me still be impressed?

Surprised
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: TFFOSM MotW in 2008 and MotM in 2003. 78th overall in TFFO for 2002/3 and 2003/4

Post by Surprised »

It's not shite but you get what you pay for, As Mike says if you want speed on a zoom (meaning a low fstop) it will cost thousands.
Take a look here foe photos taken with that lens.

http://www.flickr.com/groups/1406096@N25/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Maybe instead of looking Canon try looking at Tamron lenses with a Canon mount.

mikeg13
FISO Knight

Post by mikeg13 »

sted wrote:
mikeg13 wrote:Not a Cannon user, so am assuming its similar to Nikon when it comes to lens crop with affordable camers, think 500d 1.6, so it may not need to be a big tele, something like Canon EF 75-300mm f4-5.6 III Lens that goes for about £190, not that fast but once you start looking at fast lens it does mean your pocket empties at same rate.

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Revi ... eview.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Does that mean it's utter shite? Or will a point and shoot photographer like me still be impressed?
Not the best review, sadly if you want better then as far as can see its fair bit more. One of reasons stayed Nikon when while back got interested again after many years of hardly using a camera, as I can use fair few of the older Nikon lens. Other wise its mega money.
Having said that on Amazon it gets fair reviews for what it is, did you buy camera from a shop or online, if from shop might be an idea to see how much they want for lens and see if they will let you take few pics from shop. If you print out that review before you go and take it with you, say you are bit put off by it. Then you can go home knock print of or what ever and make call then.

sted
Dumbledore

Post by sted »

Surprised wrote:It's not shite but you get what you pay for, As Mike says if you want speed on a zoom (meaning a low fstop) it will cost thousands.

http://www.flickr.com/groups/1406096@N25/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I've noticed a few on e-bay. Are they any good?

sted
Dumbledore

Post by sted »

mikeg13 wrote:
sted wrote:

Not the best review, sadly if you want better then as far as can see its fair bit more. One of reasons stayed Nikon when while back got interested again after many years of hardly using a camera, as I can use fair few of the older Nikon lens. Other wise its mega money.
Having said that on Amazon it gets fair reviews for what it is, did you buy camera from a shop or online, if from shop might be an idea to see how much they want for lens and see if they will let you take few pics from shop. If you print out that review before you go and take it with you, say you are bit put off by it. Then you can go home knock print of or what ever and make call then.
I brought it second hand. Body, 18-55 lens, 50mm fixed lens, speedlite 430ex, bag, big tripod, extra battery = £350.

I've noticed on the photos above that you also use the 300mm lens for macro shots......shows you how much I know.

WilBert
Dumbledore

Post by WilBert »

Yes lenses are stupidly expensive. As surps says you need a low aperture/fstop for action photos but also vr (Vibration Reduction). Unfortunately the price jumps.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Tamron-70-300-4 ... 297&sr=1-1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Amazon has a useful lens finder
http://www.amazon.co.uk/b/ref=amb_link_ ... B0007XD4LC" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Good luck, quite a few of us into photography, maybe we shuld start a fiso camera club.

sted
Dumbledore

Post by sted »

WilBert wrote:Yes lenses are stupidly expensive. As surps says you need a low aperture/fstop for action photos but also vr (Vibration Reduction). Unfortunately the price jumps.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Tamron-70-300-4 ... 297&sr=1-1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Amazon has a useful lens finder
http://www.amazon.co.uk/b/ref=amb_link_ ... B0007XD4LC" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Good luck, quite a few of us into photography, maybe we shuld start a fiso camera club.
Oooh. I like the reviews on that Tamron...300 dabs though.

Hope I don't drink too much tonight. (I'm like a lady in a shoe shop after a few glasses)

mikeg13
FISO Knight

Post by mikeg13 »

sted wrote:
I've noticed on the photos above that you also use the 300mm lens for macro shots......shows you how much I know.
Dont think its a macro lens, but you will be able lo get a fair size image of plants etc, if have understood what you want, the lightness may be an advantage, as bikes etc photography often involves panning, not easy with a very long heavy lens even with image stabilization.
Not that did much of that sort of thing, most I did did not move and fitted on a table :D

Surprised
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: TFFOSM MotW in 2008 and MotM in 2003. 78th overall in TFFO for 2002/3 and 2003/4

Post by Surprised »

sted wrote:
Surprised wrote:It's not shite but you get what you pay for, As Mike says if you want speed on a zoom (meaning a low fstop) it will cost thousands.

I've noticed a few on e-bay. Are they any good?

I have a Nikon camera and have some Nikon lenses from when I used a Nikon film camera. I've never used Tamron or Sigma lenses but many of them get good reviews. Your best bet is to go into a camera shop (a privately run one rather than a chain) and they will give advice best suited to your needs.

I have a Nikon 70-300 and it's a nice lens but struggles for action photography unless it is a bright sunny day and they are rare. Invest in a very good tripod and learn trap focus.

WilBert
Dumbledore

Post by WilBert »

sted wrote: Oooh. I like the reviews on that Tamron...300 dabs though.

Hope I don't drink too much tonight. (I'm like a lady in a shoe shop after a few glasses)
:lol: I keep looking at lenses but can't justify buying the ones I really want.

mikeg13
FISO Knight

Post by mikeg13 »

Surprised wrote:
I have a Nikon 70-300 and it's a nice lens but struggles for action photography unless it is a bright sunny day and they are rare. Invest in a very good tripod and learn trap focus.
Unless things have changed hugely in last 15 years, using a tripod at bike races etc a no-no, it would be a monopod. Would think that particular camera is not going to show much noise at 800 iso at least assume at quality Sted wants so the exposure problem may not be such an issue, at long end f8 probably about its best.

Surprised
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Surprised »

mikeg13 wrote:
Surprised wrote:
Unless things have changed hugely in last 15 years, using a tripod at bike races etc a no-no, it would be a monopod. Would think that particular camera is not going to show much noise at 800 iso at least assume at quality Sted wants so the exposure problem may not be such an issue, at long end f8 probably about its best.

To be honest I don't tend to adjust ISO much. I sort of learned with film and got used to taking photos with whayever ASA the film was. I really only ever used ASA 200-400 and as such I've never got used to incorporating adjustable ISO as an addition to aperture/shutter speed.

mikeg13
FISO Knight

Post by mikeg13 »

Surprised wrote:
To be honest I don't tend to adjust ISO much. I sort of learned with film and got used to taking photos with whayever ASA the film was. I really only ever used ASA 200-400 and as such I've never got used to incorporating adjustable ISO as an addition to aperture/shutter speed.
Tell me about it :D was never the greatest Photographer, but in push processing and printing was pretty good (in 70's 80's pretty much the go to in Push processing, bit vain I know :D ) am just about getting head around changing iso from picture to picture.

Surprised
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Surprised »

mikeg13 wrote:
Surprised wrote:
Tell me about it :D was never the greatest Photographer, but in push processing and printing was pretty good (in 70's 80's pretty much the go to in Push processing, bit vain I know :D ) am just about getting head around changing iso from picture to picture.

I should use automatic ISO really but have an an irrational dislike for auto settings. The thing is that noise isn't an issue as the camera is ok up to 1000 and I have software that reduces noise very effectively. The problem is as you say...it's getting my head around changing ISO for each picture which is why I might bite the bullet and just go auto ISO.

mikeg13
FISO Knight

Post by mikeg13 »

Surprised wrote:
I should use automatic ISO really but have an an irrational dislike for auto settings. The thing is that noise isn't an issue as the camera is ok up to 1000 and I have software that reduces noise very effectively. The problem is as you say...it's getting my head around changing ISO for each picture which is why I might bite the bullet and just go auto ISO.
NO.... please dont, no expert with digital but set iso to suit what you want from image manually, if you realy want to get best from todays cameras shoot in raw format, by all means white balance to auto, you can change that in post. raw is just amazing what you can do just blows my mind and its what got me back interested in photography

Surprised
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Surprised »

I always shoot RAW. It's basically having the negative.

sted
Dumbledore

Post by sted »

Thanks for the advice guys.

Was going to get a Tamron. But a Canon 70-300 came up cheap on E-Bay.

Arrived this afternoon. Overcast day, but I went out in the back and started shooting.

Hooded Crow by Joe Publication, on Flickr

mikeg13
FISO Knight

Post by mikeg13 »

sted wrote:Image
Looks pretty good to me, should be great for your needs.

Surprised
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Surprised »

It's a nice lens and will be good for nature photography and those candid (I mean arty) beach photos or the attractive woman across the road as she steps out of the shower. Although it may be stalking if you do that too much.

sted
Dumbledore

Post by sted »

Surprised wrote:It's a nice lens and will be good for nature photography and those candid (I mean arty) beach photos or the attractive woman across the road as she steps out of the shower. Although it may be stalking if you do that too much.
A couple of those thoughts did cross my mind when I saw the capabilities of this lens. :oops:

Knulpuk
Dumbledore
FS Record: Ultra ultra consistent (see above)

Post by Knulpuk »

sted wrote:Thanks for the advice guys.

Was going to get a Tamron. But a Canon 70-300 came up cheap on E-Bay.

Arrived this afternoon. Overcast day, but I went out in the back and started shooting.

Even more impressive when you realise that crow was in Blackpool

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Photography”