To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Banner Adverts - Changes

News about, or comment on, the FISO forums. Post suggestions to Admin here!
Dennisthemenace
Grumpy Old Man

Re: Banner Adverts - Changes

Post by Dennisthemenace »

I'm not getting any Malware warnings but then again I'm only on Defender. :(

What is happening increasingly is my heat fan goes into overdrive when I'm on the site but it doesn't happen anywhere else i.e Amazon, BBC, Huffington

admin
FISO Administrator
FS Record: Won TFFO, 2nd/3rd TFF, Won BFF, Won FLGolf

Post by admin »

Ruth_NZ wrote: 08 Dec 2018, 09:55
The site you tried to visit does not look safe: http://real-prizes-zone1.com/?u=gg4p605&o=5ffwrnh
We have found that this website contains potentially harmful content. This means it may contain a virus or be a phishing site designed to steal your personal details.

Note: I did not try to visit any such site so it can only be that something on FISO tried to take me there.

URL blocked: http://nextopim.com/favicon/ico

Note: eseT really objects to this one, I have had more than 50 such messages about it.

There really seems to be quite some cr@p on here now. :(
Thanks very much for this info. I reported it to Snack Media and they've recommended a 'bad ad' blocking solution and I've uploaded such a script just now but we will need to monitor it to see how well it works. It should work to both scan and identify new threats and actively block blacklisted known or suspicious ad creatives.

I've never seen any notifications myself from Malwarebytes so only seen good ads so am relying on reports from members on specific bad experiences.

Ruth_NZ
Grumpy Old Gorilla

Post by Ruth_NZ »

YW. When did you start using the script? I haven't had anything coming up so far since coming on an hour or so ago so maybe it is working?

Thanks very much for your efforts anyway. :)

admin
FISO Administrator

Post by admin »

Ruth_NZ wrote: 10 Dec 2018, 20:45 YW. When did you start using the script? I haven't had anything coming up so far since coming on an hour or so ago so maybe it is working?

About 30 mins ago.

Ruth_NZ
Grumpy Old Gorilla

Post by Ruth_NZ »

ESET:

Page Blocked
http://ckvd-info.tk/favicon.ico
IP Address 23.91.115.224
A website with an uncertain reputation and potentially unwanted or harmful content.

murf
FISO Viscount
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.

Post by murf »

murf wrote: 07 Dec 2018, 14:55 I need a better malware detector, had to just reboot computer to lose some "your computer is about to self destruct and wipe the files" type messages while surfing FISO.

PLEASE STOP THESE ****ING ADS NOW - nothing but trouble and putting people off using FISO
Just had this again. I was away from the computer when it appeared but it was on the window that had FISO running (other 2 were fine) :evil:

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

As soon as I posted the above I got a blue screen of death.

I will no longer be using FISO on my laptop until this is fixed.

Apologies to those in all the sidecomps I am running / involved in. Service will be seriously limited.

(This post is done on my mobile/tapatalk which seems safe and is fine for basic posting (only))

admin
FISO Administrator

Post by admin »

admin wrote: 10 Dec 2018, 20:49
Ruth_NZ wrote: 10 Dec 2018, 20:45 YW. When did you start using the script? I haven't had anything coming up so far since coming on an hour or so ago so maybe it is working?

About 30 mins ago.
The 'bad ad' blocking script has been updated just now.

Ruth_NZ
Grumpy Old Gorilla

Post by Ruth_NZ »

The site nextoptim.com seems to be a constant source of problems and like murf it often results in the screen of death for me too. Happened again just now.
It's pretty bad. :(

liquidfootball2
Dumbledore
FS Record: Best fpl finish 233 in 14/15

Post by liquidfootball2 »

murf wrote:As soon as I posted the above I got a blue screen of death.

I will no longer be using FISO on my laptop until this is fixed.

Apologies to those in all the sidecomps I am running / involved in. Service will be seriously limited.

(This post is done on my mobile/tapatalk which seems safe and is fine for basic posting (only))
Tapatalk is definitely a safe and relatively problem free option, has its own limitations but acceptable.

morganb
FISO Knight
FS Record: Fantasy Advent Calendar 2012 Winner; The FISODAS Cup - Season 22 Winner; Ralfbergs EPL prediction game 2013/14 winner; FISO Goals 2022

Post by morganb »

murf wrote: 11 Dec 2018, 10:45
So, something for admin to bear in mind is that initially it looked like the banner/ads issue was only affecting a handful of users , however it is now starting to affect 30+ other users indirectly if organisers of side games are starting to boycott the site. These 30+ users could then decide to abstain from FISO thus the ripple affect continues to spread.

Are the adverts/revenue generated really worth this disruption? Couldn't you either ditch them entirely or find another more reputable supplier.

admin
FISO Administrator

Post by admin »

Thanks for the vote of no confidence. Hopefully I've got enough secret votes for me to continue.

The last company I used for the banner ads went into administration owing fiso a few months of invoices. I've chosen Snack Media as they are a leading digital ads company for sports fans and have a number of large sports websites as their clients. Whilst we've had teething problems for the one month I've used them, most issues have now been resolved thanks to their help and hopefully the remainder issues members are reporting will be soon. With all the different browsers and devices it's not been easy resolving every issue quickly. Ultimately I think they are going to be the best solution for fiso and the extra income their banner ad services are generating (much more than the previous company) will help me to develop fiso going forwards.

morganb
FISO Knight
FS Record: Fantasy Advent Calendar 2012 Winner; The FISODAS Cup - Season 22 Winner; Ralfbergs EPL prediction game 2013/14 winner; FISO Goals 2022

Post by morganb »

admin wrote: 12 Dec 2018, 18:35 Thanks for the vote of no confidence. Hopefully I've got enough secret votes for me to continue.
Sorry, I fully appreciate everything you've said and I know you are doing your best with the site, and I didn't mean it to come across as a vote of no confidence, it's just worrying that people are saying they will stop running / participating in side games as they are a large part of FISO and if organisers go then I'm likely to take them over (and I run 7 or 8 as it is!)

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

Still being littered with malware (despite you saying at least twice that it was fixed) is hardly a "teething problem".

Any commercial website would have removed them instantly. To keep them as things stand is, IMO, totally irresponsible.

Maldini
Dumbledore

Post by Maldini »

admin
FISO Administrator

Post by admin »

Ruth_NZ wrote: 12 Dec 2018, 10:38 The site nextoptim.com seems to be a constant source of problems and like murf it often results in the screen of death for me too. Happened again just now.
It's pretty bad. :(
Just to confirm that this domain was sent to the ad quality service for blocking and they are performing a manual scan.

Please can you or anyone else let me know of any further instances with any supporting screenshots, geographic locations, device and times if you have them to hand (either on this thread or via email to me). This will all help focus scans for new threats that are not already blocked at source.

Ruth_NZ
Grumpy Old Gorilla

Post by Ruth_NZ »

Sure, will do.

I only access FISO via laptop and use Google Chrome. Location is variable for me due to business trips.

raoul
Dumbledore
FS Record: Tied for OR 1st worldwide in FPL in GW5 in 21/22 (only to then finish 1m), and ranked 1st in TFF late in season 21/22 (eventual finish 95th). Won an old game called Football Fantastic. Best Fanteam finish 117th and cashed £150. Best FPL finish 2.4K.

Post by raoul »

Just had the malware thing kick me out again on laptop. Using Edge. Website seems to be gcf5682.website

Spinynorman
FISO Jedi Fish
FS Record: Under Ordinary

Post by Spinynorman »

Just had a new one crop up:
Capture.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Dennisthemenace
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Dennisthemenace »

Sorry, can't do this any more. After a blue screen tonight I'm convinced this site is now unsafe, at a time when I'm doing a lot of online shopping.

Fck knows what I've got on my computer now :evil:

Be back in the new year when hopefully somebody has seen sense.

admin
FISO Administrator

Post by admin »

admin wrote: 10 Dec 2018, 20:40 Thanks very much for this info. I reported it to Snack Media and they've recommended a 'bad ad' blocking solution and I've uploaded such a script just now but we will need to monitor it to see how well it works. It should work to both scan and identify new threats and actively block blacklisted known or suspicious ad creatives.
An extra 'bad ad' blocking script has been uploaded to fiso just now.

bspittles
Dumbledore

Post by bspittles »

admin wrote: 14 Dec 2018, 09:11
admin wrote: 10 Dec 2018, 20:40 Thanks very much for this info. I reported it to Snack Media and they've recommended a 'bad ad' blocking solution and I've uploaded such a script just now but we will need to monitor it to see how well it works. It should work to both scan and identify new threats and actively block blacklisted known or suspicious ad creatives.
An extra 'bad ad' blocking script has been uploaded to fiso just now.
I really do think Snack Media should be monitoring and blocking themselves. It shouldn't be something a customer should do.

unc.si.
FISO Knight
FS Record: 'Loser' by Beck

Post by unc.si. »

Just on FISO on laptop about to post a sporcle quiz.
Screen went to what looked like a fake ransom ware screen. Pretty much a new laptop. FISO only screen open.

Sending this post from iPad but that’s it. Will check back to FISO in a week or so to see if it’s settled down. Never had anything like that get through before on any site so for me FISO too dangerous to use for now.

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

unc.si. wrote:Just on FISO on laptop about to post a sporcle quiz.
Screen went to what looked like a fake ransom ware screen. Pretty much a new laptop. FISO only screen open.

Sending this post from iPad but that’s it. Will check back to FISO in a week or so to see if it’s settled down. Never had anything like that get through before on any site so for me FISO too dangerous to use for now.
Same as I kept getting so I am Tapatalk(phone) only now. Real pain with Sporcle etc and running my sidecomps etc where you want a laptop but need links etc.

Will have to pause/abandon the FISO Goals Knockout Cup after this round as it is just impractical to run.

morganb
FISO Knight

Post by morganb »

Don't take this the wrong way but sooner or later a decision will need to be made about what is more important to FISO - ads or users - as there have been several posts on this thread from users saying they will abstain from using the site until the issue is fixed, but you need them to test the problems as not all users are experiencing them.

(Why are only some users getting issues? Is it to do with targeted ads or the browser/security they use?)

Couldn't you move the ads to a test environment and allow the users who are reporting the issues access to it so they can test the updates that are trying to eradicate the malware? In the meantime the ads on the main site could be disabled.

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

getting your users to test which ads might infect them?
Like getting your guests to smell the milk before you make them a brew :lol:

Is it do with ad blockers and/or antivirus that people use?

Im assuming that as I'm on a mac (or iPhone) i am spared.... or is it just that i am ignorant to it (rather than avoiding them)?

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

Zimmerman wrote:getting your users to test which ads might infect them?
Like getting your guests to smell the milk before you make them a brew Image

Is it do with ad blockers and/or antivirus that people use?

Im assuming that as I'm on a mac (or iPhone) i am spared.... or is it just that i am ignorant to it (rather than avoiding them)?
Many with better ad blockers than me are detecting the malware and warning the user. If I were in your shoes and not even getting a warning I'd be very worried still.....

Ruth_NZ
Grumpy Old Gorilla

Post by Ruth_NZ »

Yeah, that's the thing. I pay a fair sum for ESET as it was recommended to me by my IT guy and fortunately it seems to intercept a fair bit. In a way I'd be more worried right now if I were getting no notifications at all.

What I'd say to the admin is that some of what is on FISO now behaves in a way I have seldom experienced online, attempting to forcibly take my browser elsewhere for example. It's only because ESET blocks that and gives me the blank screen with a warning that it goes no further.

FFS have intermittently had such issues over the years and Mark had to do a lot of work with the agency to define what he would accept and what he wouldn't. That is something that I do know for a fact and it will doubtless be a similar story here.

zipnolan
Dumbledore
FS Record: Ex FISODAS champ; 2009 TFF 95th, MOTW and TFF cup qtr finalist, TFFO 78th, FPL 346th. And a lot of rubbish.

Post by zipnolan »

Ruth_NZ wrote: 15 Dec 2018, 18:07 ... some of what is on FISO now behaves in a way I have seldom experienced online, attempting to forcibly take my browser elsewhere for example.
That's exactly it. I've never before left a site (keeping it open in another tab) then returned to find I have been blocked from going to a different site I hadn't ever tried to access. At first I thought it was me, but then it kept happening. It's odd that those who don't get the warnings aren't reporting being transported from FISO randomly - that's definitely what was happening (though, touch wood, it hasn't happened to me for a couple of days now).

liquidfootball2
Dumbledore
FS Record: Best fpl finish 233 in 14/15

Post by liquidfootball2 »

This is all a little worrying but i will monitor this thread and hopefully in a short time it'll all be sorted.

I am not taking any unnecessary chances however, even if any danger is remote, and will stick to Tapatalk(phone) for now.

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “FISO Forum News”