It is currently 24 May 2018, 03:03
View Latest: 1 Day | FISO Injury Search

FISO - Have your say

News about, or comment on, the FISO forums. Post suggestions to Admin here!

User avatar
morganb
Grumpy Old Man
Posts: 4617
Joined: 10 Aug 2009, 12:25
FS Record: Fantasy Advent Calendar 2012 Winner; The FISODAS Cup - Season 22 Winner; Ralfbergs EPL prediction game 2013/14 winner;
FISO Goals: Score: 0 Position: 68

Re: FISO - Have your say

Postby morganb » 29 Sep 2017, 09:19

I think today's news about Aguero is a good test of the forum rules/moderators.

For those who have not heard - Sergio Aguero was involved in a car crash overnight and will definitely be out of this weekend's match.

Where should this news be posted? Should there be a single thread under Football News (Inc injuries) or one per fantasy game forum (TFF, FPL, Sun, etc.)?

Will the reaction to this news differ between game formats -

In FPL for example the thinking will be should I take a hit or who do I captain now.

TFF will look for flanging opportunities and 3-for-1s.

All games when looking for a replacement will look at form, fixtures, coverage, differentials, budget.

So, there is some overlap and some uniqueness. What is the consensus for the best way to report this news?

User avatar
Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight
Posts: 26636
Joined: 13 Oct 2005, 18:42
Location: having a picnic at the Bear Mountain

Re: FISO - Have your say

Postby Zimmerman » 29 Sep 2017, 09:27

One post (as is already the case) reporting it.

Then game specific decisioning posts.
No one has an issue with that.

That's natural and no one is suggesting otherwise.

What we are seeing though are are several threads (all in the same forum) replaying the discussion.
E.g. 7 different threads in FPL mentioning the injury.

User avatar
Tacalabala
FISO Knight
Posts: 17633
Joined: 07 Sep 2008, 01:03

Re: FISO - Have your say

Postby Tacalabala » 29 Sep 2017, 10:15

To me I think this demonstrates why:

- We need a single generic board for things like injuries that aren't game specific

- That board should be at the top of the forum

- One single Injuries thread

- Also, I think we should make a rule that injury posts in that thread must be backed up with links from credible sources

User avatar
MoSe
Dumbledore
Posts: 8208
Joined: 10 Sep 2014, 12:25
Location: next door S.Siro stadium
FS Record: FISODAS CUP Winner Season 25
FISO H2H Winner: 15/16 Div2 - 16/17 Div1
FISO Mirror: 16/17 PL Winner

Re: FISO - Have your say

Postby MoSe » 29 Sep 2017, 13:09

Zimmerman wrote:
29 Sep 2017, 09:27
One post (as is already the case) reporting it.

Then game specific decisioning posts.
No one has an issue with that.

That's natural and no one is suggesting otherwise.

What we are seeing though are are several threads (all in the same forum) replaying the discussion.
E.g. 7 different threads in FPL mentioning the injury.
Please don't think I'm adversing you, but I'd still like to address the points

"One post (as is already the case) reporting it.
Then game specific decisioning posts
."

this looks like to be a logical and efficient solution
I agree with it

"No one has an issue with that.
That's natural and no one is suggesting otherwise.
"

I think to recall that there were several posters objecting to it in the FPL poll propedeutic to this HYS
(alas that topic is now locked and gone, or at least hidden from normal users even for just reference and consultation - those were members opinions we were asked to post after all - they were part of the process which lead to this topic, and I understand that one got locked - but the need to hide opinions members were asked to post, it totally escapes me :? )
no one is suggesting otherwise here, because this specific subject has not been brought back in discussion here so far (I browsed the whole topic)
I agree with your point above, I'm not suggesting otherwise (except maybe about the best details on how to implement it in practice)
but presenting an item as if unanimously agreed upon, declaring there's no dissent when previously there had been, is not a fair and correct way to present things in a discussion, imho. Even if I agree with the position being reported. Maybe I'm just more sensible to fairness...

"What we are seeing though are are several threads (all in the same forum) replaying the discussion.
E.g. 7 different threads in FPL mentioning the injury
"

Are you sure?
I did a search for "aguero" and found 3 (not counting subforums). Maybe I missed some.
One was the season-long open "pub" topic where "any content" can go.
One was an already existing topic considering wheterh he'd have played after the break vs Stoke, and it was obvious that the injury news thouroughly impacted that topic, making it moot (so that it got now locked!)
One got opened by a mod himself (Taca) and it's actually game-specific about the consequences (poll who'd we replace him with in the FPL game)

also, "replaying the discussion"....
well, you said first one post in the common forum to report the injury
that had been done

then we can go on discussing to assess how long the absence will be
that can be done in the common forum, but it's inevitable that it would be also talked about in the game specific forums and topics

Maybe you intended to mean that it should not be posted in the game-specific forums as it reporting the injury news firsthand,
because that got already covered in the common forum
As far as I can tell, that only happened in two FPL topics, the two I mentioned above.
where I myself helpfully and promptly pointed FPL forum readers also to the Team News original report :)

obviously, to then discuss about the game specific consequences, we need to make mention of the Team News injury report in the FPL forum topics
how can you discuss about the consequences of something, without even mentioning what's happened? :?
I hope you didn't count such occurrences in the 7 cases above ;)

So, would I transfer him out or not? Well, it depends whether he'll miss 6 games or just a couple. Some source said he could make it back for GW9, which is 3 weeks from now, and not actually miss for months. STOP! we can't discuss this here! Let's move to the TN topic to discuss when he'll come back, then move back in FPL to discuss our different action in both cases!
Of course the above is just an example pushing it to the extreme,
but I hope I made clear that the two domains are not that clear-cut separate as you pretend them to be.
Or at least, there are other opinions (mine :)) not viewing it as clear-cut as you do.

User avatar
MoSe
Dumbledore
Posts: 8208
Joined: 10 Sep 2014, 12:25
Location: next door S.Siro stadium
FS Record: FISODAS CUP Winner Season 25
FISO H2H Winner: 15/16 Div2 - 16/17 Div1
FISO Mirror: 16/17 PL Winner

Re: FISO - Have your say

Postby MoSe » 29 Sep 2017, 13:43

Tacalabala wrote:
29 Sep 2017, 10:15
To me I think this demonstrates why:

- We need a single generic board for things like injuries that aren't game specific

- That board should be at the top of the forum

- One single Injuries thread

- Also, I think we should make a rule that injury posts in that thread must be backed up with links from credible sources
to be propositive, already having stated several times that one common forum for general football (PL) news not game-specific is a logical and efficient organisation, let's try to be realistic.

I figure a site owner, whatever his ultimate purpose might be, should make his site desirable and enjoyable for users, if he wants to have users.
Fiso users are not just FPL, nobody ever said that, but despite it has a General Talk section, the site is named Fantasy Interactive Sports Online
So, while there are surely some users playing many games, I figure the vast bulk of user got to know and came to Fiso because Fiso covered their specific Game/sport of interest.
So, nobody is saying to tailor all FIso on FPL users need.
All members have to be catered for on the same basis, SDT, TFF, FPL (as well! they're not superior, but not otherwise lamer that other games players), Fantasy Cricket, Cycling, Horses, name it.
Well, I figure that if you got in Fiso because of SDT, your link to Fiso will lead you to SDT forum page.
Similarly for the others.
This doesn't mean you ignore or scoff at other fiso content and forums and resources.
But almost every Fiso member will likely access fiso thru the specific forum of the game which brought him to fiso in the first place, or which he has most interest in playing at the moment.
Maybe not everybody, but I surely do, And I don't expect to be a peculiar oddball in that sense.
For instance, should I quit playing FPL, I dont' think I'd come back to fiso to discuss about TV and politics :oops:
but should I go on playind FISODAS only, I'd certanily make the FISODAS forum my fiso entry point!

To summarise.
Even if someone might link to Fiso thru the home page (?) or the Football Talk & Events, or the Non-Sports Forums page, or the Latest Posts link,
I guess (?) the majority would access first thru their main game of interest forum page, THEN go to other resources or visit other Fiso forums.

Well, I know where
this viewforum.php?f=2
and this viewforum.php?f=3
are
But I see NO DIRECT LINKS to them from INSIDE the FPL Forum.
I think having those links, clearly visible and explicit inside FPL, or SDT, TFF and any FF forum,
would greatly help all fiso members to easier get and adapt to the habit of referring there, even prior than contributing there the appropriate content

just like the top section in the Sidegames forum has
FORUMS:
- FISO CTC
- FPL Link


OR, having them in the announcements
for instance this topic, it's not in FPL
but I can see it in FPL
I can enter in it directly from FPL (and after I'm done reading, the Return To link brings me to its actual forum, the FISO Forum News one, not FPL

It should also been evident from inside the FPL/SDT/TFF forums when there's new content posted in those outside/general forums links, just as i can see when ther's new content in the Sidegames or RMT subforums from their link

User avatar
Tacalabala
FISO Knight
Posts: 17633
Joined: 07 Sep 2008, 01:03

Re: FISO - Have your say

Postby Tacalabala » 29 Sep 2017, 14:14

I agree with much of what you are saying, but I think the issue in regards to finding other areas is that top banner is just not great - I wonder if people even know that the 'FISO FORUMS' is a drop down list?

That being the case, I would like to see all of the drop down gone and just have something like this:

Forums - Trending Threads - Latest Posts - Sidegames* - User Area - Search - Shop - FPL Price Tracker - FAQ

I would get rid of the homepage as well because I don't see that it adds a lot to the site.

* That would only work if either sidegame threads could have their own thread type, or the sidegame boards could be shown as a seperate filter on search (more likely), otherwise I can't see that being possible.

User avatar
MoSe
Dumbledore
Posts: 8208
Joined: 10 Sep 2014, 12:25
Location: next door S.Siro stadium
FS Record: FISODAS CUP Winner Season 25
FISO H2H Winner: 15/16 Div2 - 16/17 Div1
FISO Mirror: 16/17 PL Winner

Re: FISO - Have your say

Postby MoSe » 29 Sep 2017, 14:29

sorry, maybe it wasn't as clear as I thought

I meant HERE (or rather, in a corresponding position in each Main FPL/SDT/TFF forum)
Immagine.png
 
not in the banner dropdowns, which I only ever use to get to the FISODAS Widget
of course they have to be shown as forums//announcements/topics in the page I'm watching, so that we can see the icon changing when there's new content in it

of course this is only for members who keep using the Fiso Site own native interface and environment
none of the above applies to Tapatalk users who chose to ditch the environment and tools fiso painstakingly built up, to get just Fiso content thru a completely different interface
:roll:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

User avatar
Tacalabala
FISO Knight
Posts: 17633
Joined: 07 Sep 2008, 01:03

Re: FISO - Have your say

Postby Tacalabala » 29 Sep 2017, 14:37

MoSe wrote:
29 Sep 2017, 14:29
sorry, maybe it wasn't as clear as I thought

I meant HERE (or rather, in a corresponding position in each Main FPL/SDT/TFF forum)Immagine.png
 
not in the banner dropdowns, which I only ever use to get to the FISODAS Widget
of course they have to be shown as forums//announcements/topics in the page I'm watching, so that we can see the icon changing when there's new content in it

of course this is only for members who keep using the Fiso Site own native interface and environment
none of the above applies to Tapatalk users who chose to ditch the environment and tools fiso painstakingly built up, to get just Fiso content thru a completely different interface
:roll:
The trouble with that is that is make the page too cluttered because you are then stacking everything vertically in a big box, when a more elegant solution would be to slim down the banner with nice bold colours and clear, single click links that are relevant to all.

How popular are FISO 7, FISO GOALS and FISODAS anyway?

User avatar
Mo Bot
Dumbledore
Posts: 5249
Joined: 15 Oct 2005, 13:59
FS Record: Inaugural Last Man Standing. FISO Fantasy Eurovision champ 2012. World #1 in UFPL for a whole week
FISO Goals: Score: 29 Position: 55

Re: FISO - Have your say

Postby Mo Bot » 29 Sep 2017, 20:54

Tacalabala wrote:
29 Sep 2017, 14:37


How popular are FISO 7, FISO GOALS and FISODAS anyway?
I was playing FISO goals up until last week but missed a week (possibly due to it being so far out of the way) and now have no chance of catching the maestro murf

User avatar
Spinynorman
FISO Jedi Fish
Posts: 24488
Joined: 23 Jul 2006, 08:12
Location: West Midlands.
FS Record: Under Ordinary
FISO Goals: Score: 299 Position: 2

Re: FISO - Have your say

Postby Spinynorman » 29 Sep 2017, 21:16

Tacalabala wrote:
29 Sep 2017, 14:37
How popular are FISO 7, FISO GOALS and FISODAS anyway?


I always play FISO Goals and FISODAS but that of course does not make them popular. However FISODAS seems to have a very enthusiastic following.

User avatar
morganb
Grumpy Old Man
Posts: 4617
Joined: 10 Aug 2009, 12:25
FS Record: Fantasy Advent Calendar 2012 Winner; The FISODAS Cup - Season 22 Winner; Ralfbergs EPL prediction game 2013/14 winner;
FISO Goals: Score: 0 Position: 68

Re: FISO - Have your say

Postby morganb » 29 Sep 2017, 22:44

Tacalabala wrote:
29 Sep 2017, 14:37
How popular are FISO 7, FISO GOALS and FISODAS anyway?
I think FISO 7 is a dead game.

FISODAS is very popular (but does required a lot of navigation to get to the entry widget).

I actually stopped playing FISO GOALS as it is easy to forget about (though you can predict the whole season in advance!)

User avatar
forestfan
FISO Knight
Posts: 14130
Joined: 13 Oct 2005, 18:27
Location: FISODAS Towers
FS Record: Joint 6th TFF Wooden Spoon!
FISO Goals: Score: 0 Position: 68

Re: FISO - Have your say

Postby forestfan » 30 Sep 2017, 11:10

Spinynorman wrote:
29 Sep 2017, 21:16
Tacalabala wrote:
29 Sep 2017, 14:37
How popular are FISO 7, FISO GOALS and FISODAS anyway?


I always play FISO Goals and FISODAS but that of course does not make them popular. However FISODAS seems to have a very enthusiastic following.
Yeah, it's a fixed capacity (currently 50 player) game, as it has been for many years - a lot of the players are very dedicated long standing ones, and some only visit FISO for this now!

A year or so ago I thought I might have to remove a division and reduce it to 40, but since then we've been more successful in filling vacancies and we currently have a full house of players. It can be a challenge to make it visible when new players are needed, for example, but current players often do a good job of cross-promoting it when there are spaces to fill.

The entry form could be made a bit more straightforward to access perhaps (a few less clicks?) but generally works OK for most people I think.

User avatar
murf
FISO Baron
Posts: 87205
Joined: 13 Oct 2005, 18:28
Location: Location: Location
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.
FISO Goals: Score: 285 Position: 7
Contact:

Re: FISO - Have your say

Postby murf » 30 Sep 2017, 11:22

Clicks to get to my Predictions for FISO Goals from here:

1. Menu
2. FISO Games
3. FISO Goals
4. Predictions
5. Show
(would have been 6 for a different week)

Ridiculous!

User avatar
bluenosey
Dumblenose
Posts: 11782
Joined: 13 Oct 2005, 18:26
Location: Solihull
FS Record: Considerably poorer than yow :-(
FISO Goals: Score: 277 Position: 11

Re: FISO - Have your say

Postby bluenosey » 30 Sep 2017, 19:43

Fiso is a great place. Possibly not as popular as a few years back, owing more to the decline in the popularity of fantasy football, fpl aside.

The moderators do an excellent job but the real unsung heroes are those that run the sidegames. Just look at the in play widget in the 5 aside league. Quality.

Personally I'm not overly keen on the adverts but I appreciate and understand that they raise revenue for the site.

Overall, if it ain't broken, don't fix it.

User avatar
Tacalabala
FISO Knight
Posts: 17633
Joined: 07 Sep 2008, 01:03

Re: FISO - Have your say

Postby Tacalabala » 30 Sep 2017, 20:28

Yes that 5as widget is just next level!!

User avatar
Rivers
Treebeard
Posts: 264
Joined: 09 Jan 2016, 00:56

Re: FISO - Have your say

Postby Rivers » 03 Oct 2017, 11:22

Well I'd say this for whatever it's worth:

I use FISO in the context of FPL and I like the fact that discussion and posts that I read or write are in one location. I'm not interested in exploring the rest of the forums or having to navigate outside of the FPL forum for other relevant content.

That is a frank and I suspect fairly typical viewpoint of your average user in the FPL forum. To remove content posted in this area, as its not deemed specific enough to that fantasy game, is counter to this and seems wholly tailored towards a smaller minority that use multiple areas and are irritated by the repetition.

I suppose you can keep hoping that people will use the site differently... But I'm not really sure why. As Mose has said above you should want users and understand what they really want from the forum.

In the vast majority of cases this to have a one stop convenient place that has discussion points for their relevant game. Moderating the boards to frustrate this is misguided.

I'll accept the irony that I read this thread precisely because another thread was moved from the FPL forum regarding Morata's injury. However, I'm not going to the Team News section anytime soon - and that's really the nuts and bolts of it.

User avatar
Tacalabala
FISO Knight
Posts: 17633
Joined: 07 Sep 2008, 01:03

Re: FISO - Have your say

Postby Tacalabala » 03 Oct 2017, 11:47

Rivers wrote:
03 Oct 2017, 11:22
I'll accept the irony that I read this thread precisely because another thread was moved from the FPL forum regarding Morata's injury. However, I'm not going to the Team News section anytime soon - and that's really the nuts and bolts of it.
But you found it because of the 'shadow thread'?

User avatar
Rivers
Treebeard
Posts: 264
Joined: 09 Jan 2016, 00:56

Re: FISO - Have your say

Postby Rivers » 03 Oct 2017, 12:13

Tacalabala wrote:
03 Oct 2017, 11:47
Rivers wrote:
03 Oct 2017, 11:22
I'll accept the irony that I read this thread precisely because another thread was moved from the FPL forum regarding Morata's injury. However, I'm not going to the Team News section anytime soon - and that's really the nuts and bolts of it.
But you found it because of the 'shadow thread'?
Yep, I wanted to see why the previous discussion I missed had been moved. I usually skip past the top of the FPL down to the content I'm looking for but in this case I felt the need to read every thread title and saw that this thread had been updated recently by a mod in the Team News section. Didn't realise it was at the top of what I assume is all forums.

The reason I wanted to see why it had moved is that I do not particularly like the limited content I write being moved to a different audience, so wanted to see what got classified as 'not FPL specific' for lack of a better phrase to avoid this in the future.

User avatar
Tacalabala
FISO Knight
Posts: 17633
Joined: 07 Sep 2008, 01:03

Re: FISO - Have your say

Postby Tacalabala » 03 Oct 2017, 12:22

Rivers wrote:
03 Oct 2017, 12:13
Tacalabala wrote:
03 Oct 2017, 11:47
Rivers wrote:
03 Oct 2017, 11:22
I'll accept the irony that I read this thread precisely because another thread was moved from the FPL forum regarding Morata's injury. However, I'm not going to the Team News section anytime soon - and that's really the nuts and bolts of it.
But you found it because of the 'shadow thread'?
Yep, I wanted to see why the previous discussion I missed had been moved. I usually skip past the top of the FPL down to the content I'm looking for but in this case I felt the need to read every thread title and saw that this thread had been updated recently by a mod in the Team News section. Didn't realise it was at the top of what I assume is all forums.

The reason I wanted to see why it had moved is that I do not particularly like the limited content I write being moved to a different audience, so wanted to see what got classified as 'not FPL specific' for lack of a better phrase to avoid this in the future.
Please can you point me towards the post(s) of yours that you are referring to?

User avatar
RomynPG
Dumbledore
Posts: 6600
Joined: 13 Oct 2005, 18:32
FS Record: FPL 134 overall 06/07 ... never close since

Re: FISO - Have your say

Postby RomynPG » 27 Nov 2017, 19:26

Couple of things that might be worth putting on any wish list ...

Mobile options - phpBB mobile styles as opposed to Tapatalk?

... plus option to come in via https would be cool.

CBETC
Cheetah
Posts: 5
Joined: 03 Mar 2018, 23:35
FS Record: 2132

Re: FISO - Have your say

Postby CBETC » 05 Mar 2018, 10:54

I post on an Irish sports betting forum and as I read this forum I started posting here but the posts are not being approved as a moderator must think they are promotional posts. There is nothing to promote.

User avatar
murf
FISO Baron
Posts: 87205
Joined: 13 Oct 2005, 18:28
Location: Location: Location
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.
FISO Goals: Score: 285 Position: 7
Contact:

Re: FISO - Have your say

Postby murf » 05 Mar 2018, 11:26

CBETC wrote:
05 Mar 2018, 10:54
I post on an Irish sports betting forum and as I read this forum I started posting here but the posts are not being approved as a moderator must think they are promotional posts. There is nothing to promote.
I think your first few need approval in case you are a troll, spammer, robot or Man United fan.

CBETC
Cheetah
Posts: 5
Joined: 03 Mar 2018, 23:35
FS Record: 2132

Re: FISO - Have your say

Postby CBETC » 06 Mar 2018, 12:07

They probably do but they are being disapproved as being promotional posts yet they are simply my bet selection. There is a skeptical moderator on here:)

User avatar
Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight
Posts: 26636
Joined: 13 Oct 2005, 18:42
Location: having a picnic at the Bear Mountain

Re: FISO - Have your say

Postby Zimmerman » 06 Mar 2018, 13:12

In fairness, you have just joined and your opening post(s) are to talk about bets.

Your name is BET

Your email address is bet.

It looks kind of odd form for a regular poster (on this forum at least).

CBETC
Cheetah
Posts: 5
Joined: 03 Mar 2018, 23:35
FS Record: 2132

Re: FISO - Have your say

Postby CBETC » 08 Mar 2018, 10:10

We all have our hobbies and I keep my primary email address separate from the one I use to sign up to various things online. Its up to the moderators if they want to accept the bet selections, I'll try once more.

User avatar
SUZYKINS
Dumbledore
Posts: 8746
Joined: 13 Oct 2005, 18:32
Location: Up in the trees feeding Crouch & Zigic.
Contact:

Re: FISO - Have your say

Postby SUZYKINS » 08 Mar 2018, 12:42

Zimmerman wrote:
06 Mar 2018, 13:12
In fairness, you have just joined and your opening post(s) are to talk about bets.

Your name is BET

Your email address is bet.

It looks kind of odd form for a regular poster (on this forum at least).
BET you say that to all the Gals :mrgreen:


View Latest: 1 Day

Return to “FISO Forum News”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: YandexBot and 1 guest