To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

The Frustrations of Team Play

Risk at Conquer Club
Vid
Head Moderator
FS Record: winning is a distant memory

The Frustrations of Team Play

Post by Vid »

We've all got our strengths, weaknesses and differing styles of play, maps and settings that we're happier with than others and of course often differing opinions on how to progress in any given situation.

In some games we're more prepared (or have the time) to chat and discuss how to proceed, willing to follow someone else's lead/ suggestion or to follow our own thoughts. We might see something team partners have missed or miss something they have seen.

Taking out terrible drops, mis-clicks and shite dice for "us"/ lucky dice for "them" from the equation, is equally disappointing for all in the team, no-one to blame, shit happens.

I've had some excellent team games where 2,3 or 4 have worked together well and even if the win hasn't been achieved they've been enjoyable experiences, but more seem to cause frustration than enjoyment.

Not having a pop at anybody at all, I'm very aware that I have my faults and have caused at least my own fair share of frustration to others, not always losing games but causing frustration all the same.

Maybe I'm playing too many team games? Some of the games that I've most enjoyed have been team games so I guess that's why I'm playing so many, our own games, tourneys and with whoever invites me to open doubles/ triples/ quads games regardless of map and settings, seeking that same level of enjoyment. But on the other hand it's also my greatest source of frustration and annoyance that I obviously don't enjoy and daily gives me the desire to cut back dramatically playing on CC.

One of many examples, playing a random tourney that has put me in trips with 2 unknown partners, both ranked much higher than myself (got a few losses coming up so should be back to cadet within a day or two) and with several more years experience on CC. 7 maps I think, most of which were either totally unknown or with minimal play on them. Things weren't going well from my perspective so on 3 maps I did my own thing, basically forcing both my team-mates to work from the positions I created and also the opponents to react to the sudden change in tactics.

One map was lost quickly but as we'd already lost the man we were stacking it probably only finished the game a round early. In the second it worked very nicely as it upset the opponents plans and gave us one to follow, crushing victory.

In the 3rd, a rail map, sunny, no spolis, I went on a charge and took 3 lines, giving us a very strong position if we could hold them. Defended well/ luckily and opponents attacked poorly/ unluckily to give me a good deployment. My nature is to press on with the attack, push the opponents back from being able to attack easily and cause them further problems by threatening to take more bonuses, but I listened to the caution of the higher ranking of my team-mates and deployed defensively. After that round 2 lines were still held, so still a decent deployment. The opponents had been stacking the strongest of the 3 and even without any bonuses has so many terits that we didn't have much of a lead in deployment.

Again my desire was to attack, cut him down significantly as he's virtually all singles and take at least one more line and get in behind them. Again though I was persuaded to deploy defensively, the result is that the opponents are able to attack on 2 fronts, neither of which we can defend adequately, once the bonuses are broken we are too weak to recapture and the game will be gone within 3 rounds.

Okay, I had the choice to do my own thing again on each move and if I had and it didn't work then the trade off is that we wouldn't have been in with a shout at all if I hadn't gone on the rampage in the first place, something that both team-mates have said a few moves back and neither would have blamed me if I did give it a go again, well not openly to me anyway.

So I guess my frustration here is with myself for not following the same strategy that has worked for me on rail maps when playing just for myself.

Then there's the team games where something I believe is absolutely necessary is totally ignored, of course I can be very wrong (often) but on the occasions I'm proven right, ARGHHHH!

How do the rest of you find team games?

Finsimbo
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: If only there was a record

Re: The Frustrations of Team Play

Post by Finsimbo »

As long as the team has roughly the same strategy then I'm all for them. Once one has a different idea to another then the trouble starts.

You knows who you play with imo

chewie1
Treebeard

Post by chewie1 »

Team games is in the title, if you go your seperate way you will always lose.... period.

In my clan I have a dubs partner where we rarely need to game chat as we have played so many games together and know what each others aimes are... we are also developing a quads team.

Game chat is important even if you dont agree with what your teammate is doing if u support his/her plan it can always surprise you.

REINFORCING is probably the most IMPORTANT angle of team play. (oh and doing as your told if your my partner)

Vid
Head Moderator

Post by Vid »

chewie1 wrote: In my clan I have a dubs partner where we rarely need to game chat as we have played so many games together and know what each others aimes are... we are also developing a quads team.
Bring 'em on, quite happy to take you and partner on with Rich on a map and settings of his choice, as long as Rich doesn't turn to jelly again, we'll take the points (unless of course we get a bad drop or are very unlucky with dice or spoils) :wink:

chewie1
Treebeard

Post by chewie1 »

Vid wrote:
chewie1 wrote: In my clan I have a dubs partner where we rarely need to game chat as we have played so many games together and know what each others aimes are... we are also developing a quads team.
Bring 'em on, quite happy to take you and partner on with Rich on a map and settings of his choice, as long as Rich doesn't turn to jelly again, we'll take the points (unless of course we get a bad drop or are very unlucky with dice or spoils) :wink:

Post the map and settings here Rich and I will make the game.....

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

chewie1 wrote:Team games is in the title, if you go your seperate way you will always lose.... period.

In my clan I have a dubs partner where we rarely need to game chat as we have played so many games together and know what each others aimes are... we are also developing a quads team.

Game chat is important even if you dont agree with what your teammate is doing if u support his/her plan it can always surprise you.

REINFORCING is probably the most IMPORTANT angle of team play. (oh and doing as your told if your my partner)
:? :lol:

Richt
FISO Knight
FS Record: Averagely consistant.

Post by Richt »

Vid wrote:
I assume you mean join Chewie in a quads team, not against him? :wink:

Vid
Head Moderator

Post by Vid »

Richt wrote:
Vid wrote:
I assume you mean join Chewie in a quads team, not against him? :wink:
Doubles game! :D

Vid
Head Moderator

Post by Vid »

Returning to this thread, the rail map turned out to be the decisive game as to whether our team progressed or the opposition. I played to the advice of my partners and defended for a few more moves, seeing one of them taken out whilst the bonuses were defended and the opposition bring all their reserves into play to try to take out my partners/ break the bonuses. I think it took 3 more moves from when I was let off the leash to take the opposition out for all 3 of us to progress. 4 wins, 3 defeats, the 3 other teams to progress had either 5 or 6 wins from their 7 games and I think our 3 loses were to each of them.

Next round is doubles, we've been split up and the 5 games in this round have all started, unfortunately my new partner has failed to acknowledge me in all 5, not even a "hi" :roll: so get the feeling that I've gone as far as I'm likely to in this tourney, especially as he's clearly made a split deployment first move in one game, attacked, lost and has enabled the next player to take out 3 of his terits, take 2 bonus areas and put a big block in place that even if we had some sort of coordination won't get close to.

Had a decent start in a couple of the others, one of which I haven't a clue where I should be aiming, I've either made a strong position or put a lot of troops out of the game on move 2. Had a great drop but poor dice in another and just poor dice in the 5th.

Definitely not going to get much out of any games without some sort of discussion, possibly too late in a couple of them already.

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Risk”