To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Remembrance Sunday - 11th of November

A forum for general discussion on subjects and topics that do not fit anywhere else.

sleuth
Dumbledore

Re: Remembrance Sunday - 11th of November

Post by sleuth »

Five long bones wrote:You are just being a dick, as usual.

t.gridley
Grumpy Old Man

Post by t.gridley »

Back on subject, I believe that General Haig said something along the lines of " if we have three soldiers left and they have none, we win"
So I hardly feel the general welfare of his fighting men were of much importance to the upper class generals as they drank the beverage of their choice.
My great grandfather fought at Mons.
He told my great grandmother to look the the north star at 5 every evening so that they were both looking at the same thing.
I remember my nan telling me that when he came home on leave, they used to run a candle up his uniform and heard the lice burning.
He survived the war and turned religous (joining the salvation army)
He told my nan that he had seen angels above the battlefield.
I researched this and found many soldiers repeating the same story though it was rubbished in the media.

hornet
Grumpy Old Man

Post by hornet »

I have always been fascinated by the Great War. I find it hard to imagine just how it must have felt to fight for your life in those dark days. The courage those men had fills me with pride in our previous generations.
It is important that we never forget the brave men and women who fought in wars to protect our country and the countries of others.

I have visited France and Belgium on a tour of sites of the Great War. I found it a fascinating experience and would recommend it to anyone. In fact it should be a compulsory shool trip imo.

There were sites I shall never forget; The bomb crater in the Somme, the trenches at Hill 62 in Ypres, the many mass graveyards, the grave of a 14 year old (!) German soldier at Langemark Cemetary, to name but a few.

One battlefield that stood out (forgot the name) had 2 lines of trenches, one Allied and one German. Between them was no mans land. On this field of grass there was not one square metre of flat ground, it looked almost like there were waves in the earth, all caused by countless bombs and mines. It took my breath away to think of the chaos that occurred there.

I am currently unaware of relatives of mine that fought in WWI.
My Grandad was in the Navy during WWII. I dont know many details as he rarely spoke of the war. I do know he served on an aircraft carrier that was sunk and also a ship called HMS Begum - I have since found out this was a 'Hunter-Killer' ship that scoured the pacific for enemy subs/ships.
I remember one story he once told of the day his ship was sunk by the Japanese and how he was stood on the edge of the doomed vessel looking at his mates in the ocean who were calling up to him "Jump Topper, jump!".
My Grandad will always be my greatest hero and I miss him terribly (im welling up here!).
On Nov 11 I remember him and his brave deeds above all.

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

WWI was beyond inhumane: feet that were permanently wet, and foor-rot set in and deserters being shot - so going over the top was almost a relief\release? And all for a pointless war....

Chitty-chitty Bang bang is about WWI, with the kids the soldiers, and the Child Snatcher the Military Police.

tommymooney
FISO Knight

Post by tommymooney »

@gwancarl - yeah, my grandad has never really spoken of the war to me, I only know stuff because he has told my mum before.

Perhaps we live in an over-emotional age these days, but it must have been so tough for men returning from WW2 not to have any real outlet to discuss harrowing experiences.

hornet
Grumpy Old Man

Post by hornet »

Tommy. It must be hard. I do wish I had asked more about it though. One major regret I have is not learning more about my Grandparents lives from them whilst they were still alive.

There was a program on recently called 'Golden Oldies'. One old dear was talking about how hard life was for women after the war as all their husbands/sons came home as "broken men".
There was certainly no counselling back then. Somehow they dealt with it.

(btw still trying to find a Leeds fan to ask what the score was on Saturday!)

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

From my old History 'A' Level, the post WWI Britain wasn't a happy place, with high unemployment, Riots etc... not that it got much better in the 20's.

Richt
FISO Knight
FS Record: Averagely consistant.

Post by Richt »

My great grandfather served in the Great War but had it a lot easier than most as by trade he was a farrier so didn't have to "go over the top".

He obviously saw some hideous times and apparently would never talk about it after the conflict. He never ate corned beef again though.

WW1 has always fascinated me.

Surprised
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: TFFOSM MotW in 2008 and MotM in 2003. 78th overall in TFFO for 2002/3 and 2003/4

Post by Surprised »

My late grandfather fought in both WW1 and WW2 in the Royal Navy and spent his war time serving on submarines.
He never talked about his time and the only thing he ever kept was an Iron Cross that he took from the Captain of a ship they sunk. He would only say that he should never have taken it but war makes you act differently.

bluenosey
Dumblenose
FS Record: FISO Goals Champ 2018/19 & 2019/20

Post by bluenosey »

Some really interesting posts above.

Like RichT, it fascinated me when I was at school and believe it should be given high importance in the National Curriculum. Let's face it, no one really gives a hoot about the three field system. I have the Last Fighting Tommy book - recommended - and a few others on WW1.

Also check out Siegfried Sassoon and Wilfrid Owen, amongst others. Sassoon is a fascinating chap and quite a hero of mine (he was the picture in my Avatar the other day)

bluenosey
Dumblenose

Post by bluenosey »

Not far off now, although poppies seem to have been on sale much earlier this year.

I'm not keen on these "blingy" poppies. It's not a fashion statement. Just a way of remembering and saying "thank you"

murf
FISO Viscount
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.

Post by murf »

bluenosey wrote:I'm not keen on these "blingy" poppies. It's not a fashion statement. Just a way of remembering and saying "thank you"
Agreed - but I guess it is better that a bling poppy is worn than none and any bit of encouragement helps. Standrad poppies keep falling off and getting lost anyway.

I shall change my avatar while I remember.

unc.si.
FISO Knight
FS Record: 'Loser' by Beck

Post by unc.si. »

bluenosey
Dumblenose

Post by bluenosey »

Falls on Monday this year.

"Sir... I'm scared, sir" :(

Just take a few seconds at 11am on Monday...

...remember

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Stuff (That Doesn't Fit Anywhere Else!)”