To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Claim to Lame

A forum for general discussion on subjects and topics that do not fit anywhere else.

murf
FISO Viscount
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.

Re: Claim to Lame

Post by murf »

Ashers wrote:I live in the same Cul De Sac as Laurence Shahlaei.
Another Wiki - another still not heard of - another that has appeared in a movie of a semi-kiddies book series I have read :shock:

Knulpuk
Dumbledore
FS Record: Ultra ultra consistent (see above)

Post by Knulpuk »

murf wrote:
Knulpuk wrote:Had my bi annual Bupa medical a few years back - and the doctor was Hilary Jones!
I'm sure you can turn that into a better claim. Did he, errrr, ask you to cough?
Somethings you block out.

Ashers
FISO Knight
FS Record: OFL Fantasy Fives Winner 2011/2012, SDT wins WDT, weekly, monthly and seasonal prizes. Fantasy Darts daily winner, TFFO mini league winner & FISO U21 Threes Champs 13.

Post by Ashers »

murf wrote:
Ashers wrote:I live in the same Cul De Sac as Laurence Shahlaei.
Another Wiki - another still not heard of - another that has appeared in a movie of a semi-kiddies book series I have read :shock:
Britain's Strongest Man.

AKNel1
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: pretty dire with occasional moments of genius

Post by AKNel1 »

Rick wrote:3 brushes with Geoff Capes

1) in the late 60's as a teenager was shot putted by him back into the terraces at London road when trying to invade the pitch.

2) In the early 90's stood with him watching our daughters compete at shot put (mine was doing it as she wanted a go at the pentathlon, his was the best in the area) where he gave us some good tips.

3) a couple of weeks later was at the Cambs. county champs watched him and his daughter sit down on the same side of a bench picnic table type thing for the whole thing to tip over as they went flying. We were the only other people there at the time and had to suppress the laughter as he was not amused :lol: . Muttered something about suing them :lol:

Ran against Steve Ovett and Seb Coe in the same race. The only time they had met before Moscow.

Wonder who'll play you in the movie :shock: :lol:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/others ... inner.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

fancy dan
Grumpy Old Dan
Location: Having a secret meeting in the basement of my brain
FS Record: Winner of S4's big WC prediction game - and 2-time winner of the Premier League A game!

Post by fancy dan »

Was reading these tales of stardom thinking I clearly hadn't lived, then I remembered: in the 70s, we used to live next door to Verity Martindill, continuity announcer on LWT:

http://www.ultimate-lwt.co.uk/announcers.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Surprised
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: TFFOSM MotW in 2008 and MotM in 2003. 78th overall in TFFO for 2002/3 and 2003/4

Post by Surprised »

I once had a beer with Nicholas Lyndhurst although to the untrained eye it looked like he walked into a bar where I happened to be.

Knulpuk
Dumbledore

Post by Knulpuk »

Lived opposite the house where Benny Hill used to live.

Got in a lift with Sir Leon Brittain.

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

Knulpuk wrote:Lived opposite the house where Benny Hill used to live.
Was Benny Hill living in it when you lived opposite?

If not, this has got to be our winner :D

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

I used to live round the corner from John Lennon's old house.

Richt
FISO Knight
FS Record: Averagely consistant.

Post by Richt »

My mum taught Jamie Cullum the piano!

(not really my claim to lame, but a classic one for her).

Rick
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Rick »

AKNel1 wrote:

1) in the late 60's as a teenager was shot putted by him back into the terraces at London road when trying to invade the pitch.

2) In the early 90's stood with him watching our daughters compete at shot put (mine was doing it as she wanted a go at the pentathlon, his was the best in the area) where he gave us some good tips.

3) a couple of weeks later was at the Cambs. county champs watched him and his daughter sit down on the same side of a bench picnic table type thing for the whole thing to tip over as they went flying. We were the only other people there at the time and had to suppress the laughter as he was not amused :lol: . Muttered something about suing them :lol:

Ran against Steve Ovett and Seb Coe in the same race. The only time they had met before Moscow.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/others ... inner.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Yea me and about 600 others :lol: .

It was in the 1972 All England Cross Country Championships in Hillingdon. I wouldn't have known either of them were in the same race but I kept the programme, which lists all the competitors. When they became famous in the late 70's I realised they were both a similar age to me looked in the programme and sure enough there they both were. From memory Ovett running for Sussex and Coe for Yorkshire (I think) both were down as the 2nd on their lists which means neither won their county champs (i think they were in the order they finished their county champs - ours was anyway). I have later found out that Ovett finished 2nd and Coe 10th. :shock: :shock: . Wonder what happened to the guy who won. (wasn't me I finished about 294th).

Actually answered my own question. http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/olym ... 08507.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by Rick on 29 Jun 2011, 14:23, edited 1 time in total.

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

Richt wrote:My mum taught Jamie Cullum the piano!
Her fault then is he? The bitch! :evil:

:wink:

Richt
FISO Knight

Post by Richt »

:lol:
murf wrote:

And I used to fancy his mum...... (I bloody hope this doesn't turn up on a google search) :oops: :oops: :oops:

Knulpuk
Dumbledore

Post by Knulpuk »

Zimmerman wrote:
Knulpuk wrote:Lived opposite the house where Benny Hill used to live.
Was Benny Hill living in it when you lived opposite?

If not, this has got to be our winner :D
Nope he was long gone :lol:

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

Richt wrote:My mum taught Jamie Cullum the piano!...... And I used to fancy his mum......

:shock:
Last edited by murf on 29 Jun 2011, 14:19, edited 1 time in total.

Richt
FISO Knight

Post by Richt »

We are talking over 20 years ago now Murf ;-)

Richt
FISO Knight

Post by Richt »

She still has it :lol:

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

Richt wrote::lol:
murf wrote:

And I used to fancy his mum...... (I bloody hope this doesn't turn up on a google search) :oops: :oops: :oops:
Cullum mum fancy Rich piano

Might have more chance now :lol:
Last edited by blahblah on 29 Jun 2011, 14:22, edited 1 time in total.

Richt
FISO Knight

Post by Richt »

blahblah wrote:
Richt wrote::lol:
murf wrote:

Callum mum fancy Rich.

Might have more chance now :lol:
Cullum

sleuth
Dumbledore

Post by sleuth »

Rick wrote:
AKNel1 wrote:

Yea me and about 600 others :lol: .

It was in the 1972 All England Cross Country Championships in Hillingdon. I wouldn't have known either of them were in the same race but I kept the programme, which lists all the competitors. When they became famous in the late 70's I realised they were both a similar age to me looked in the programme and sure enough there they both were. From memory Ovett running for Sussex and Coe for Yorkshire (I think) both were down as the 2nd on their lists which means neither won their county champs (i think they were in the order they finished their county champs - ours was anyway). I have later found out that Ovett finished 2nd and Coe 10th. :shock: :shock: . Wonder what happened to the guy who won. (wasn't me I finished about 294th).

Actually answered my own question. http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/olym ... 08507.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Think my mate might of won that a certain James Murray Smith from Hendon it was around that time ist year at senior school.
I was the cross country captain at senior school but James was a better runner than me and went on to run in Belgium finishing i think 6th in the world cross country for youths at the time.

After Googling it seems James was not ist- Maybe he was 6th in this race and then ist in Belgium im sure he won one or other.
i even googled his name as i remember he had very squinty eyes and found him on google he is today a top barrister :shock:

Last edited by sleuth on 29 Jun 2011, 15:12, edited 1 time in total.

pa102aw
Fiso Knight Templar
FS Record: Too many to mention now :-)

Post by pa102aw »

For those of you to young to remember Baccarra, this is them. Notice that my bird still has that telling glow on her face 6 months later. :wink:

Bandit
Grumpy Old Bootlegger

Post by Bandit »

My soon to be father-in-law once pissed on Ken Dodd :D

sleuth
Dumbledore

Post by sleuth »

Bandit wrote:My soon to be father-in-law once pissed on Ken Dodd :D

Diddy?

sleuth
Dumbledore

Post by sleuth »

pa102aw wrote:For those of you to young to remember Baccarra, this is them. Notice that my bird still has that telling glow on her face 6 months later. :wink:

Fortunately i cannot see this pic on my work Pc, is his moustache curling up?

the pom
Grumpy Old Pom

Post by the pom »

After reading these, i think i can post here .....

1. Played snooker (uncle vampire as i used to call him)against Ray Reardon on his own table in his own house, he lived around the corner from my uncle, even got picked up fron manchester airport from his wife and got a lift home to stoke in a car rego (1 pro) think he was world champion when i 1st played him 1977ish ...... i was about 7 or 8 it's all a bit vague time wise (his daughter was a few years above me at school.

2. On the piss with Robbie Williams bank holiday monday (about 90 / 1991 could be wrong) when a big group of my mates from the Naughty 40 decided to chuck him in a wheelie bin cuz he was a vale fan, but i stopped him from getting a 'kicking' (this was when take that were getting established / already established) he still owes me big time for this ............ (made the local papers 'the sentinel')

3. Backpacking in OZ got on the piss with the England cricket team (Gough on the sunday in the 'aberdeen') then tuffers on the wednesday in the leederville (the match started on the thursday and tuffers was 12th man - can still see tuffers falling backwards over a rubbish bin saying 'Rigs i'm pissed' ....... I still wonder to this day why he was dropped to 12th man :shock: )

4. Snogged Leo Sayers girlfriend whilst he was having a drink (in the aberdeen) she went to the toilet and beckoned me to follow her, she was about 20 years younger than leo.

5. Sat next to Mick Hucknall for the Man U v Crystal Palce FA Cupfinal, (autograph on the back of my ticket)

I've actually got quite a few more, from the clubbing days which i'll add in the next couple of days like drinking with David Howell (ex spurs) and his brother Gareth (used to play in goal for torquay) in Tenerife and listening to the stories about Gazza.

Bloody hell when i think about it, there are loads more i can tell, but days here and there are nothing in a soon to be 40 year old ....

Hogmeister
Dumbledore
FS Record: Top 300 in all-time FPL rankings

Post by Hogmeister »

sleuth wrote:
pa102aw wrote:For those of you to young to remember Baccarra, this is them. Notice that my bird still has that telling glow on her face 6 months later. :wink:

Fortunately i cannot see this pic on my work Pc, is his moustache curling up?
That's quite a clip - as well as the shots of Pa's bird, it also features a very young Peter Powell being introduced as "Radio 1's newest recruit", followed by the Sex Pistols being played over the show's closing credits. Those were the days :wink:

The Woolster
Grumpy Ball of Wool
Location: EECCC Division 3 Champion 08/09. EECCC Treble winner 2006/07
FS Record: 10th Daily Star 10/11. 11th Daily Mail 08/09. 19th Daily Star 11/12. 24th TFFE 05/06. 37th TFF 05/06. 52nd CYKI 08/09.

Post by The Woolster »

Just 2 weeks ago Dick Strawbridge pointed out to me as I was sat in my car about to leave a car park that one of my mud flaps looks like it is going to drop off.

My mum used to be David English's cleaner.

My aunt dated Paul Simon.

At school I was in the year above 100+ capped England footballer Rachel Yankee.

I once bounced on Robbie Coltraine's bed.

Jude Law once got in a cab after me

I held a microphone boom thing for dj Judge Jools whilst he was being interviewed on Millennium new years eve

pa102aw
Fiso Knight Templar

Post by pa102aw »

From 1974 to 1977 I was the Manager of a Disco in a town in the north of Holland called Groningen. A lot of up and coming groups used to come to my place and I also had a thing going with one of the girls from a Dutch Group called 'Pussycat', who had a big hit with a song called Mississipi (I'll see if I can find a clip)

This was me in 1975 :shock:

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

Was she a doll?

pa102aw
Fiso Knight Templar

Post by pa102aw »

Clip found, it's the bird on the right I was dating. They were actually three sisters and mine was called Marianne. :D

Last edited by pa102aw on 29 Jun 2011, 16:17, edited 1 time in total.

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Stuff (That Doesn't Fit Anywhere Else!)”