To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Claim to Lame

A forum for general discussion on subjects and topics that do not fit anywhere else.

CanaryYellow
FISO Knight

Re: Claim to Lame

Post by CanaryYellow »

You can watch mine! :lol:

CanaryYellow - Black overalls with yellow stripe, fluo yellow helmet.
Chris Van Der Drift - Team NZ overalls (Black&white) Black helmet.
Brendan Hartley - White overalls, black helmet.

Two are professional race drivers, one was a test driver for Toro Rosso F1 2 years ago, one raced for Team New Zealand in A1GP and one is me.

FFWD to 1:20

murf
FISO Viscount
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.

Post by murf »

CanaryYellow wrote:FFWD to 1:20
It was all going so well until 1:37.....

Surprised
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: TFFOSM MotW in 2008 and MotM in 2003. 78th overall in TFFO for 2002/3 and 2003/4

Post by Surprised »

Where was the safety car?

Ave a banana
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Ave a banana »

pa102aw wrote:This was me in 1975
.....then I became Ron Jeremy

Ave a banana
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Ave a banana »

In the early 80’s I was working in a posh shop in Bond St. Jeremy Beadle came in looking for a pale blue pure silk suit. We didn’t have one, but from really old stock out the back I remembered we had a pale blue 97% viscose 3% silk suit. Viscose and raw silk have a similar look, so I cut out the inside label stating the percentage mix, and came bounding out with a “hear you go.” Luckily it was the size he had asked for (though not the size he was). I managed to get him squeezed into it and with a few adjustments by the tailor the jovial prankster went away happy as Larry.

I wonder if he would have been ‘Game For A Laugh’ if he’d found out?

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

it sounds like it was too small for him…. when he held it up to look at it - which hand was he holding it in?

Rick
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Rick »

Ave a banana wrote:
I was thinking 'where is Tommy Cannon in that picture ?'.

AKNel1
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: pretty dire with occasional moments of genius

Post by AKNel1 »

Rick wrote:
Ave a banana wrote:
I was thinking 'where is Tommy Cannon in that picture ?'.
I was thinking Billy Connolly's fat twin :wink:

pa102aw
Fiso Knight Templar
FS Record: Too many to mention now :-)

Post by pa102aw »

I modelled myself on Jason King (remember the series) :D

bloggie
Dumbledore
Location: Tourists swarm to see your face Confucius has a puzzling grace Disoriented you enter in unleashing

Post by bloggie »

The Woolster wrote: I once bounced on Robbie Coltraine's bed.
That's a cracker.

AKNel1
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by AKNel1 »

bloggie wrote:
The Woolster wrote: I once bounced on Robbie Coltraine's bed.
That's a cracker.
Would've been more impressive if Robbie was still in the bed :shock:

bloggie
Dumbledore
Location: Tourists swarm to see your face Confucius has a puzzling grace Disoriented you enter in unleashing

Post by bloggie »

It might have cracked.

Achiles74
Dumbledore

Post by Achiles74 »

sleuth wrote:
pa102aw wrote:In 1976 I shagged the one on the right in a van behind a Disco in Holland where they were playing :D

Isn't that a geezer Pa??
I'm sure she was male as well..
but whatever floats your boat

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

Achiles74 wrote:

One of the first trans-sexuals?

shogun
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Unbeaten

Post by shogun »

Bumped into andy peters at station few months ago. He thought he wouldn't get recognised in the international crowd, but i recognised him. I think he was running from some asian looking america with a camera who was keen on fantasy football.

pa102aw
Fiso Knight Templar

Post by pa102aw »

Achiles74 wrote:
sleuth wrote:
pa102aw wrote:In 1976 I shagged the one on the right in a van behind a Disco in Holland where they were playing :D

Isn't that a geezer Pa??
It was dark, so maybe it was the one on the left :wink:

CanaryYellow
FISO Knight

Post by CanaryYellow »

I probably have a better claim to lame, i have a screenshot of a final result where i beat Van Der Drift (overtook him on the final lap) and have a better fastest lap time too. Not bad considering i was giving him 40kgs and the karts have pokey 200cc engines.

pa102aw
Fiso Knight Templar

Post by pa102aw »

Baccara was a female vocal duo formed in 1977 by Spanish artists Mayte Mateos (February 7, 1951, Logroño) and María Mendiola (April 4, 1952, Madrid).

Richt
FISO Knight
FS Record: Averagely consistant.

Post by Richt »

pa102aw wrote:Baccara was a female vocal duo formed in 1977 by Spanish artists Mayte Mateos (February 7, 1951, Logroño) and María Mendiola (April 4, 1952, Madrid).
it must have been REALLY dark if you had to double check it now.

Richt
FISO Knight
FS Record: Averagely consistant.

Post by Richt »

It's not really that lame, but all the same it does involve "meeting a celebrity".

I was at school and we had an activity week at the end of each summer term. I always chose Cricket as that's the only sport I have ever really been any good at.

Anyway, one year we went to Trowbridge to watch the Minor Counties play The West Indies in a one day match. It was pretty much all ruled out due to rain, but I did approach Sir Viv Richards and ask him for his autograph. He patted me on the back and said "later on please". I never did get the autograph....

I believe a couple of my class mates did get Courtney Walsh's though.

AKNel1
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by AKNel1 »

Richt wrote:It's not really that lame, but all the same it does involve "meeting a celebrity".

I was at school and we had an activity week at the end of each summer term. I always chose Cricket as that's the only sport I have ever really been any good at.

Anyway, one year we went to Trowbridge to watch the Minor Counties play The West Indies in a one day match. It was pretty much all ruled out due to rain, but I did approach Sir Viv Richards and ask him for his autograph. He patted me on the back and said "later on please". I never did get the autograph....

I got Viv's autograph :D

pa102aw
Fiso Knight Templar

Post by pa102aw »

AKNel1 wrote:
Richt wrote:It's not really that lame, but all the same it does involve "meeting a celebrity".

I got Viv's autograph :D
At first glance I thought you said " I got Vid's autograph" :shock:

sleuth
Dumbledore

Post by sleuth »

pa102aw wrote:From 1974 to 1977 I was the Manager of a Disco in a town in the north of Holland called Groningen. A lot of up and coming groups used to come to my place and I also had a thing going with one of the girls from a Dutch Group called 'Pussycat', who had a big hit with a song called Mississipi (I'll see if I can find a clip)

This was me in 1975 :shock:

ImageImage

Have you had a gender change Pa? (the nose is the giveaway not to mention the mullett.

Rick
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Rick »

I had a similar experience although not as pleasant.

when I was about 14 I went to see a pre season friendly Posh v West Ham.

A couple of friends wanted to see if they could get some of the West Ham players autographs after the match so we waited around the players entrance after. I thought I would join, in and when Bobby Moore walked out approached him. I got a hand off to my face and muttered something under his breath which I didn't quite catch for my troubles as they all hurriedly jumped on the team bus. That was the one and only time I ever bothered trying to get an autograph. Makes me laugh every time people go about what a nice guy Bobby Moore was. :lol:

AKNel1
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by AKNel1 »

Rick wrote:

I had a similar experience although not as pleasant.

when I was about 14 I went to see a pre season friendly Posh v West Ham.

A couple of friends wanted to see if they could get some of the West Ham players autographs after the match so we waited around the players entrance after. I thought I would join, in and when Bobby Moore walked out approached him. I got a hand off to my face and muttered something under his breath which I didn't quite catch for my troubles as they all hurriedly jumped on the team bus. That was the one and only time I ever bothered trying to get an autograph. Makes me laugh every time people go about what a nice guy Bobby Moore was. :lol:
I went to a Bobby Moore Soccer School one Summer (aged about 10) - I have his autograph too :lol:

Rick
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Rick »

sleuth wrote:
Rick wrote:
AKNel1 wrote:
Rick wrote:3 brushes with Geoff Capes

1) in the late 60's as a teenager was shot putted by him back into the terraces at London road when trying to invade the pitch.

2) In the early 90's stood with him watching our daughters compete at shot put (mine was doing it as she wanted a go at the pentathlon, his was the best in the area) where he gave us some good tips.

3) a couple of weeks later was at the Cambs. county champs watched him and his daughter sit down on the same side of a bench picnic table type thing for the whole thing to tip over as they went flying. We were the only other people there at the time and had to suppress the laughter as he was not amused :lol: . Muttered something about suing them :lol:

Ran against Steve Ovett and Seb Coe in the same race. The only time they had met before Moscow.

Wonder who'll play you in the movie :shock: :lol:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/others ... inner.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Yea me and about 600 others :lol: .

It was in the 1972 All England Cross Country Championships in Hillingdon. I wouldn't have known either of them were in the same race but I kept the programme, which lists all the competitors. When they became famous in the late 70's I realised they were both a similar age to me looked in the programme and sure enough there they both were. From memory Ovett running for Sussex and Coe for Yorkshire (I think) both were down as the 2nd on their lists which means neither won their county champs (i think they were in the order they finished their county champs - ours was anyway). I have later found out that Ovett finished 2nd and Coe 10th. :shock: :shock: . Wonder what happened to the guy who won. (wasn't me I finished about 294th).

Actually answered my own question. http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/olym ... 08507.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Think my mate might of won that a certain James Murray Smith from Hendon it was around that time ist year at senior school.
I was the cross country captain at senior school but James was a better runner than me and went on to run in Belgium finishing i think 6th in the world cross country for youths at the time.

After Googling it seems James was not ist- Maybe he was 6th in this race and then ist in Belgium im sure he won one or other.
i even googled his name as i remember he had very squinty eyes and found him on google he is today a top barrister :shock:

If my parents hadn't whisked me off to Peterborough 5 years previous I would probably have known him in that case. Would have probably been in the same team.

jimwinn
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: nah

Post by jimwinn »

Lots of quite famous people mentioned in this thread.

These are really CtFs not CtLs. Sorry to be so pedantic - but them is the rules. :wink:

The winner is CanaryYellow with Christopher Jason van der Drift.

I've googled Chris (to find his 'real' name) and I reckon he is really Chris Van Der Crash.

Seriously - I hope he is ok - that was one hell of a crash:

http://www.3news.co.nz/A1GPs-Van-Der-Dr ... fault.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ooops forgot the other driver (who I've never heard of) Brendan Hartley

http://www.brendonhartley.co.nz/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Congrats to Canary for racing with two 'celebs'
Last edited by jimwinn on 30 Jun 2011, 17:16, edited 1 time in total.

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

Pretty much the same piece of tarmac as when Johnny Herbert smashed his ankle up all those years ago.

PS For round 2, how about you name the celebs and we have to come up with our genuine claims to fame about them :?:

jimwinn
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: nah

Post by jimwinn »

murf wrote:Pretty much the same piece of tarmac as when Johnny Herbert smashed his ankle up all those years ago.

PS For round 2, how about you name the celebs and we have to come up with our genuine claims to fame about them :?:

Okey dokey. I'll go first with my favourite rock legend - Frederick Bulsara. I was a major Queen fan in the 70's / 80's etc.

Edit - I'll leave in for a day or two to see if anyone has a real CtF about Freddie (or his statue :wink:)
Last edited by jimwinn on 30 Jun 2011, 17:43, edited 1 time in total.

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

Err, I've seen his statue in Montreux!

(and if your hearing is a bit dodgy you might believe the headbanging to Bo' Rap' in Wayne's World was in "the murfmobile")

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Stuff (That Doesn't Fit Anywhere Else!)”